Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

can anyone link to a list of features in the update or give me some bullet points of suspected updates or if it's happening on friday? I don't know anything and I just clicked backwards through this thread before getting to the front and not finding anyone saying anything about what the update everyone is looking forward to actually has in it.

Some kind of gorgon? I don't know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Rack posted:

Here's a link someone posted a couple pages back with a rundown on the new stuff.

none of these things sound very good why is anyone looking forward to this? I guess I'll wait and see, I mean, I assume there'll still be a more casual multiplayer experience or maybe the server can turn off reverse-mario-boos and poison.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I haven't played minecraft for a year but updates are on friday, right? Have there not been updates on friday for a while?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

with all the talk about 1.8 I thought it was going to be today :(
no word on when it is? Is it even an imminent thing or has it been imminent for weeks now?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Vinigre posted:

Ah, hence why the screenshot was taken at sunset!

doesn't the sun rise in the north and set in the south? or why do all maps orient towards the east?

Orient!
East!
That's a joke, son

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Eonwe posted:

Well drat, it crashes on launch for me.

oh good. I was wondering "how do you run a .jar, do I need unix for this?" while trying to remember if minecraft is usually a .jar file
wait minecraft is usually an .exe how do you run a jar? do I need unix for this?

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 9, 2011

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

fondue posted:

Okay, I've got a SMP 1.8 server running on goonimati.com:30000 if anyone wants to fart around. I have PvP enabled and pretty much everything else but flying.

SA shits itself today when I try to send personal messages, but how did you do this? was the server leaked too? the server file I ran still tried to run 1.7x even though I put the minecraft.jar into .minecraft/bin/

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Zorak posted:

The server was leaked.

I'm wondering more how people are connecting to SMP servers; I thought you could only connect offline to this version, which would prevent you to playing on SMP, no?

leaked but in a way where I'm not going to find it here? Not leaked on purpose?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

my last question probably is how do you generate a world and then let the world be used on a multiplayer server? because I made one in solo, copied the level dats over the one the server created, and it made a new one on top of the new new one instead of just loading it.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I need a world to gen that has cliffs to scale and wile e. coyote style islands in the sky. and then I want to go look for a village.

"ratharness" worked ahahaha two steps and that is some wile e coyote poo poo right there. cannot wait to minecart around that.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 10, 2011

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

all of the sudden I can't even run the launcher. java shows up in my processes but nothing happens

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

yeah trying to cook a chicken sure did crash everything. with all these bugs I don't know about a monday release. when have they ever cleaned up this much that fast?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Pucklynn posted:

You can put in anyone's username into https://www.minershoes.com and see the skin. I dunno if it has running animations or not though.

how? I search for poemdexter and it says end of world. I click on someone else's skin and it's alphanumerical gibberish so I can't just substitute his name or my friends' names to see.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

was there an update to the client or both the client and the server?

how do you start the server with more ram?
I tried making a batch file to run "java -Xmx1024.M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar" but it did not work and flashed up and away so quickly I don't know which half failed, I assume that java isn't in a listed folder. Am I going about this all wrong?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

is there anyway to disable xp orbs on the new version? I'm running a server for a few people and there's complaining about the lag. (is it me do I smell?)

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I haven't seen a slime in a while, did slimes get broken?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I used the wiki to find the program to tell me where the slimes are. I dug out that area, 6 tiles from bottom, and killed three slimes while digging it out. I haven't seen any more slimes, ever. I run up and down this huge hallway with candles everywhere and no slimes. this slime farm is the worst. do I stand in the corner and wait for the wet slapping sound? should I constantly go away and come back?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

can you ride a track in a circle for a while to get the achievement or does it seriously have to be a mile in absolute distance?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Senator Woofington posted:

I am really liking the map on my server!

which program are you using to generate these specific types of maps?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

is there a way to find ravines or mineshafts with the map renderer? When I see several sinewaves of stone are those the layers of a ravine? When I see brown with white x's are those mines with spider silk?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

there are fortresses in the nether?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

pseudorandom name posted:

There are horrible structures that man knows not what purpose they serve, terrible in their secret geometries and fecund fungal vaults, redolent with the smell of death.

how do you do non-euclidean in a game made of cubes?