Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
'Westeros' is pretty cool.

Below the overhang in the second screenshot, where you can see the lava is a cool looking cave system.

There's also a giant mountain that reaches into the clouds and a really cool, long valley.

It does seem that there are less Plain Jane seeds now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Here's a seed for anyone wanting a challenge:

1662097789 (I think I used "Build a Castle in 1.8" but I can't remember for sure).

You start in the middle of the ocean, on a sandbar with two trees. There are tiny islands relatively nearby (though not immediately visible) but none of them have any food on them. I'm now a day and a night of sailing away from my spawn and I haven't found any significant land (I almost started exploring a cave on the first new island I landed on but then I remembered even if I found good stuff I'd starve to death). The only food I've found is sugar cane which apparently is inedible as is sugar. The only animals I've seen are squids.

Basically you've got enough resources to get you off the island but nowhere to go after that.

This is seed is awesome.

Built a boat and started searching aimlessly for another island in hopes of finding a food source. Two uneventful islands and 2 days later I just said screw it and started digging straight down and fell into an abandoned mine. Found a monster spawner with two chests, one of which had wheat, other random items, but most importantly a loaf of bread! I was so excited to finally find some food I forgot I was at a monster spawner thing and died soon after the discovery.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

I have been playing Minecraft for 2 days now and I love it, but I wish there was some kind of marker or indicator that points you the way towards your stuff after you die. I tend to find a cave and dig and dig and dig until I end up on the other side of the world, and either get lost trying to find my way back or just give up hopeless and start a new world.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Have you guys with the ocean seeds considered digging straight down instead of sailing across the water? It's how I got by on 1662097789. Good luck not getting lost afterwards though.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Seed: 55378008 (Put it in a calculator and turn it upside-down. That old gag.)

You start near a precarious underground cave full of sandstone holding up huge mounds of sand, so you need to be careful where you dig. Exploring more I found a nice sized fissure in the earth. There's a desert area with a lot of cacti. Off the main continent are a couple of cool smallish islands with giant mountains, one of which had an opening obscured by gravel. So I went in. These pics are below the massive abandoned mine that was half covered in gravel, half hanging in the air.

This is looking straight up from my position: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Stokes79/screenshot/540653236895063876/

Behind me: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Stokes79/screenshot/540653236895058668/

I didn't make it out alive, but drat was it fun.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Shuukage posted:

n'thing that the seed "Something Awful" is brilliant, found the NPC villages next to the gently caress off great chasm. Built a minecart track to the top and built a base camp at the bottom of the ravine, it has an abandoned mine in it as well as natural cave systems. Literally hours of sperlunkin' fun!

What are the coordinates for the villages?

Also F6 and F7 don't work anymore?

Stokes fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 13, 2011

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

So 'Mineshaft Density (half now) hopefully means no more floating mineshafts in huge chasms? I'm all for big, maze-like abandoned mineshafts as long as they make sense.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

I'm having a lot of fun in 'shipwreck.' I have 6 hearts left, 5 hunger bars left, and I have 3 seeds growing next to water. Hopefully they grow into wheat before I starve to death. In the meantime I'm staying completely still and wondering how the heck I am going to get out of this mess even if I'm able to make a loaf of bread.

Edit: nthing the love for the hunger bar.

Stokes fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 16, 2011

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

For those that are playing/have played 'shipwreck':

Get yourself a good set of armor/weapon/iron picks, fish, and maybe some bread too if you're patient enough, boat out to x:750 y:64 z:-1119 and swim down to the lava. You'll probably have to catch a small ledge with an air pocket before you drown, but getting down there is worth it. Lava flowing everywhere, at least 1 monster spawner, treacherous pathways, expansive cave system, and eventually you'll run into an abandoned mine, parts of which are flooded, but not enough to where it is wholly unexplorable. Quite possibly the most fun underground exploring experience I've had in the game so far. I died really deep underground to an insane zombie monster spawner.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Seed: really cool opotamus (1475242898)

A quite bitchin' long (check the minimap for size) with water that defies gravity! It continues on underground on both sides of what you can see on the overworld.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/120207632228298753

quote:

notch Markus Persson
An enchantment table imgur.com/yA2DD?full

And I guess people have already figured out what the hieroglyphics mean.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Notch on twitter posted:

Yogscast repeatedly insulted people, talked behind their backs, refused to cooperate, and acted like total spoiled divas nonstop.
They called us "a bunch of nerds who don't know how to run a company", demanded that we pay them to come here (nobody else got paid).
And they claim they're the reason minecraft is big and that we should thank them more than anyone else in the community. They're total dicks
A kid wanted them to sign something I had signed, and they said they'd cross it out and put "gently caress you" there instead.
Everyone else in the Minecraft community is all about respecting and caring. They're not. They're an isolated island of egos.

Stokes fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 21, 2011

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Zsinjeh posted:

Captainsparklez had a Hunger Games tournament that had a very interesting take on the PvP challenges like the Mindcrack guys.
Unfortunetly it's the minecraft community so they all opped themselves after they died and started harassing, but the general idea was cool.

Paulsoaresjr, who was 2nd place, did a post-mortem video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZymK1yAscM) where he harshly criticized the end game, and the people involved in it, though he didn't name names. He said next time no one is getting ops after they die.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Here's part 1 of the Quake match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_Fu0SZ7PN8

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Vintage Beef says UHC 5 starts tomorrow as per this tweet.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Walliard posted:

Meanwhile, Baj is being his usual priceless self.

I think Baj is really close to Bdouble0. I've seen about 8 videos so far and it looks like Baj lucked out with the best starting position. I loved his choice for base location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Here is an example of how much effort that should be put into a UHC update.

'Hey guys UHC 5 episodes are up. Docm and Pakratt are good ones to watch this time.' Also here are the links to those videos.'

There doesn't need to be 10 bullet points, linked graphics, and commentary.