Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I just finished up with Terraria, how close/similar is it to minecraft? I really liked it, but after getting all the top tier gear, there wasn't much left to do as the 2D really limits the creativity you can put into building structures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Mastiff posted:

If building structures is what you're looking for, Minecraft is the better choice. I agree that two dimensions was very limiting in Terraria. However, the combat/gameplay of Minecraft is much more shallow without mods. (We'll see what 1.8 brings, though.)

Well, to be honest, the combat of Terraria got grating after a while. It got to the point where i was like "just leave me the gently caress alone and let me work".

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

Then Minecraft is where you want to be. Welcome home.

Home here i come.

Welp, this is a little bit harder. The "first night" video in the op has the guy find coal almost right away, no luck for me, now it's pitch black, and i'm cowering in a hovel i dug out of a wall. :smith:

Kin fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 23, 2011

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Macaluso posted:

You can make coal by burning wood

I'm very new to this, i'm presuming i can't just rub 2 sticks together to get that base fire can i?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Woohoo, i have coal and now i've got torches. This is definitely going to take a bit of getting used to, particularly in what should be the initial building order of things.

The game is buggy as gently caress though. It crashed once when i jumped into a nearby shallow pool of water and in the last 2 times i've run the game, the sound has stopped working.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Made more headway. Now i have a bed! (and a first attempt at a mine down the back end of my expanded hovel.

It's a lot of work though (a lot more than Terraria) so playing with other goons on a group task seems like it might be a lot more appealing to me.

Oh, are there mods to make things like the pickaxe have infinite health? I prefer the way Terraria did things with the tools in that you could use one forever, but they ranged from really weak to being super strong.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Enzer posted:

If you are looking for multiplayer, I would suggest checking out WilsonSMP over in the private game section.
We got a pretty strong and every growing community, great for new players and lots of server events.

Cool, looking into installing the mods and whatever, then i'll jump on in.

edit: will jumping on a server with mods install those mods into my game or do i have to do it all manually?

Kin fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Aug 23, 2011

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Does the minecraft.net server go down often? I'm trying to start up the game and it says it cant connect, but i can load up the webpage fine.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Well, after a few days of minecraft on a goons server, i can't help but find myself feeling that the whole thing is a lot shallower than Terraria.

Sure, you've got more free reign to make structures (and the possibilities with those are vast) but the range of items and features is really lacking.

One thing that's really bugging me is the jump from iron to diamond for material. It's basically wood, stone, iron, gold, diamond and most of the time you're just going to be floating around with iron gear. Terraria has wood, stone, iron, copper, silver, gold, daemonite and then a flame variety.

I'm also not a fan of the degrading tools. Scowering the land for material is perfectly acceptable in a land scultping game, but having to constantly rebuild your gear feels like a massive chore after a while. The 64x slot cap is also silly.

It's fun, but it feels like your ability to construct things, especially huge things (which is what this game is really about) is extensively gimped just to make it more hasslesome and take longer.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Jelly posted:

"It's not enough like a 3D Terraria so I hate it"

Well a 3D multiplayer terraria with less combat (or a way to control the spawns) would be perfect.

And i don't hate it, i just find that after playing Terraria, some of the vanilla things (that you can't mod out when playing on certain servers) are just redundant to the overall completion of an identical creative objective. Degrading tools? Pointless, it's a just a distraction that leads to nothing more than forcing you spend a few minutes to make a new one every once in a while. 64 item cap? Pointless, an artificial extension of the time it takes for you to build something detailled and resource heavy. Neither of those in any way inprove creativity, it just forces you to spend more time putting your creation together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

My copy of minecraft has just gone tits up. It takes a hell of a long time to start the game up (before it lets me click the "login" button) and I get this error when trying to connect to a multiplayer server:

"Internal exception: java.IOException: Received string length longer than maximum allowed (201 > 100)"

Singleplayer works fine.

IIRC, I've done nothing to my PC since playing it earlier today.

edit: I should say this is still the 1.7 build.