Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

PEANUT BUTTER IS NOT MY FATHER

I think the Minecraft Structure Planner is worth adding to the "Utilities". It lets you plan out structures prior to building them, offering individual floor views, as well as a fully zoomed out 3D model. I used it for this on Wilson's SMP server.

I'd probably have used it more but I haven't really built anything since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Well you're all probably familiar with the Scrolls / Elder Scrolls lawsuit Bethesda filed. Notch apparently wants to settle via Quake 3 deathmatches:

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/903825...ets-settle-this

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ugh, sorry. I saw Minecraft on page 2 and I thought that was a newer tweet. You guys are quick.

MisterBibs posted:

I dunno, this bugs me in a way I'm having trouble difficulty putting into words.

This sort of thing just hints of amateurism from Notch. Legal cases aren't ended by Quake matches, they are ended with big-boy things like court cases. Yeah, it'll cost a bit to deal with it that way, but that's what happens when you're an actual game developer.
I'm pretty sure Notch knows this is serious. If he can prevent it from going to court through a fun and inventive way, why not?

Personally I think Bethesda's lawsuit is frivolously stupid, and I think Notch should make light of it. And I hope if they turn him down he calls them scared.

Jelly fucked around with this message at Aug 17, 2011 around 16:44

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Al! posted:

Probably because Bethesda/Zenimax has already paid several thousands of dollars to initiate legal action and aren't just going to takesies backsies on the outcome of a Quake 3 game.
Million-dollar corporations sacrifice thousands of dollars every day for positive PR.

I'm not saying it will happen, but I don't see how Notch is actually hurting anything, and I think you guys are extremely uptight blowhards.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Zorak posted:

Always read the recent thread, and remember what the OP says that if something isn't IMMINENTLY new, don't post it.
Yeah, I saw the first post on this page was from +2 hours ago, didn't see it on this page, and my Facebook notice was only 45 minutes old. Now I realize Facebook posts of his tweets are considerably delayed.

edit: Nevermind that I'm retarded and didn't even realize the first post on this page was about Quake.

Jelly fucked around with this message at Aug 17, 2011 around 16:54

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Koos Chup posted:

So in the newest update, there's going to be an enemy that forces the player to avoid looking at them, or fix their gaze on them for a long time. It almost seems like the difficulty autistic people have with eye contact being too averting or too rigid. Of course, since Minecraft is Not About Autism, the enemy's true artistic purpose will forever remain a mystery.
Are you the one who keeps getting banned for this?

Next up: Boo ghosts also target autism. Super Mario controversy.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Koos Chup posted:

Nope.
Welp, cleared that up. He must be another of the many 'Minecraftian Autism Theory' awareness crusaders.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

"It's not enough like a 3D Terraria so I hate it"

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

It sounds like you dislike the resource gathering aspect of it. Maybe try a server running the creative mode? You can then build to your hearts content. But if you take away the resource gathering its just virtual Legos.

That timely creation process makes the end result more rewarding for me.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

I'm using Chrome and it's working okay. The comments are just...

People are so out of touch, someone said "Minecart support in SMP?" .. uhh

Jelly fucked around with this message at Aug 26, 2011 around 16:40

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

fondue posted:

I'm having the same experience. Can someone post in here some screenshots or what's happening? Anything new we haven't had him hint at?
I haven't been following the updates contents super closely but... So far we've seen new lighting, the larger bodies of water, one of the villages (just saw houses, no people), and an Enderman.

The only thing I saw that I was like "What is that?!" was some little orbs that popped up at some point and gravitated toward the player for collection. I think it was mentioned that it was experience, and it won't have any effect (or even be implemented) for 1.8.

The quality of the video is not good. It's a cellphone video recording of a laptop.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Notch confirmed that 1.8 does not have a release date yet.

Also alluded to there being so much content that it may have to be release piece-wise.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Just want to say I could be talking out my rear end about that, but that's what I got from what he was saying.

However, could someone not develop many pieces contiguously and then leave one or two of the incomplete ones (like say dungeons, or village NPCs) out of the 1.8 release build while keeping them in the developmental build? I don't know anything about this stuff.

Or maybe some of the pieces mentioned haven't been developed at all, and they just want to get out what they have, and add them in later.

Unless he's pulling straight from Millenaire I can't imagine village NPC's to be an easy task.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

That Icecrown Citadel is insane. Really great job on that. Did you gather all the resources legitimately?

Love that Reddit idea, too. Haven't played for a while as I've been waiting on the new patch. That Citadel has inspired me to build again, now my fingers are itching.

Is the new patch going to up the height limit by default? Will you need to download a mod, modify a line of code, or change an in-game setting?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Tobaccrow posted:

I'm an unwashed heathen who plays with a Wii Classic Controller. For me, the worst part about 1.8 is dash being a doubletap. I hate doing that with analog sticks.
Does minecraft have gamepad support? I wouldn't mind trying it with a 360 controller.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

I found a seed that starts off seemingly boring, but a very small trek in the right direction and you'll see a village on a ridge in the distance. There are cave systems right next to spawn with lots of coal and iron. More excellent caves near the village itself (it's pretty much on top of it). And there are some great scenic mountains near the village as well. If you go to the furthest house from spawn and start exploring the caves downward from there, there is a stronghold to stumble upon.

The seed is "winter is coming"
I built a ladder down the shaft at -364, 111 and dug through once I hit bottom to continue it (The village is at these coords)
I found the stronghold a stone's throw from my ladder at around y:25 depth in the cave system there.

edit: I think this isn't so much a stronghold as it is an abandoned mineshaft

Jelly fucked around with this message at Sep 16, 2011 around 20:26

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Dominoes posted:

Which goon minecraft server should I start playing on? Too many.
I don't play on any at the moment, but when I did, Wilson's was always the best.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

EightBit posted:

I have a WeatherTop kind of hill that I am fortifying. I already have the access limited to a retracting staircase, but I'm wondering how to ender-proof the landing without having to swim. Some kind of zigzag bridge that mobs can't just luck across? Such a frustrating mob
Continue your line of thinking with a retractable bridge

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Pocket Billiards posted:

Is that lanterns I see? Is that from a mod?
Those are just torches (Painterly, I believe).

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

mrwuss posted:

This is the most entertaining post that is also the most productive at the same time.

Anti adfly plugin, brings out the masses.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...aftco-bypasser/

forgot the link
This is a great thing, and I enjoyed the level-headed and rational responses the OP offers to the self-entitled idiots.

Especially him quoting the "stealing free mods" line [edit: beaten!]. If you think your mod for a thirteen dollar game is good enough to charge money for, then ask for it, don't hide behind some bullshit inconvenience.

Show me a modder who charged money for their modifications to another game and then became successful. Though some exist I can't think of any.

Now show me a modder who became successful by free exposure to their mods/maps etc. John Carmack is the first who comes to mind.

Just from this thread kas has received some recognition for Painterly from notch, as well as worked with the Yogscast crew. Fun fact: I don't think he gives a poo poo about adfly redirection.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

1. Pick
2. Shovel
3. Axe
4. Sword
5. Bow
6. [whatever]
7. [whatever]
8. Map
9. Wood Block (used for cave navigation)
0. Torches

Usually other building blocks, maybe a clock in the 'whatever' spots. Minecraft does not play like an FPS to me, so I don't have an FPS mindset. I very rarely find a situation where I can't backtrack for a second to assess the situation and plan out an approach. Quick reactions matter, sure, but not necessarily with regard to combat. I'd rather build a quick wall between me and my quarry, then plan an approach. If I'm going into an exclusive combat situation (taking down a spawner) then I might move my sword/bow up, but the need hasn't arisen yet. I haven't even bothered to make arrows in the game I'm playing now. Building a wall or kiting mobs around a corner has yet to fail.

A PVP server would probably be an entirely different matter.

This next patch has insane amounts of content. Is there a good place to look for a summary of everything that may be a bit more elaborate than the actual patch notes? I'm kind of intimidated. Are there going to be a lot of additions that will make it necessary to start a new world to enjoy the content? I've been holding off on my existing world due to this concern.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Fangz posted:

Has this been posted? Because it's pretty cute:

Kids react to minecraft
I bet the kid in the green shirt is already a goon.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Note: Have not played any of the pre-releases

I started a new game, stuck with the first world, and built a house and started shop right where I spawned. I found a ridiculous cave system nearby and an abandoned mine shaft. I have played for a number of hours and have a few questions to add to Splicer's:

3) Do cacti grow slower? I built an auto-farm and it's just miserable. I changed my design a little but I don't think it should effect the output.

4) How do animals work now? Do they disappear if you walk out of the chunk or are they static and finite now? If you kill them but don't breed them will you run out of them in an area? Is keeping them fenced in plausible? I discovered they will sometimes follow you if you're holding wheat, and if you feed it to them they will get horny. I fed two ducks in the same area and they made a baby duck, that was cool.

5) Melons and pumpkins. I've found seeds for both of these in an abandoned mine shaft, and have been growing them. I'm currently testing for this but an answer would still be nice: The place you plant the seed should be tilled I assume, but do any of the adjacent blocks have to be tilled for the pumpkin/melon to grow?

6) I like the new sound effects, and I absolutely love that water 'drips' through a non-glass (and possibly other blocks I haven't tried yet) ceiling.

7) I need to spend some time reading some patch notes.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

^edit: Beaten in every way.

Jamesman posted:

Aren't diamonds more likely to appear around lava though? Digging out a safer route around a lava pool just means you might find a diamond cluster that you'd otherwise have missed.
I'm fairly certain this is a coincidence of depth, not a rule. As diamonds and lava flows are found at the same depth, you are often going to find one near the other. I doubt strip mining around lava pools will net you any more diamonds than strip mining anywhere else at that depth.

Often diamonds are already visible around lava (because of the natural caves that generally accompany it) and using water will more often than not allow you to mine them out without lava flowing in to destroy the diamond you just mined, or kill you.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

My first course of action since 1.0 is to make a renewable source for everything. Having completed planting everything, I'm on to animal collection. This was relatively easy for cows and ducks as they were already in the area, and my breeding stations are in full effect.

It took me a days hike to find a couple of sheep in the SE part of my island, but a couple is all you need. Once my cow-pen filled up it became unmanageable to go in and out so I constructed a ladder-to-bridge-to-ladder contraption that seems to keep them in.

But I was still missing pigs, so I went to the SW part of the island and found one of the biggest cliffs I've ever seen which I decided to carefully scale. I found pigs, but I'm not sure how to get them back.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

TalonDemonKing posted:

That's a pretty amazing texture pack. Is that Sphanx?
It is Sphax 128x, yes. You should see the mad cows.

Update: It got dark when I got the pigs down the mountain so I made a little hole in the side of the cliff and ushered them in there and sealed it off. As I was on the wrong side of the mountain I dug a hole to the right side while I waited for day.

Pigs are now safely penned!

Love the cow-lock, idea. I'll try it for my sheep pen.

edit:
My cow-bridge-

Jelly fucked around with this message at Nov 24, 2011 around 19:15

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

All right, I give: how precisely does this work?
Here's a side view, it's nothing fancy. The ladders are both hidden, on the left and right. Seems to do the trick. Mobs can climb ladders occasionally, but if they fall, 3/4 sides go back into the pen, and the other side is mostly blocked by fence.

Other's recommend the "cow-lock", which is just a double door system, but I imagine stock would get caught in between and have to be killed or lured. Holding wheat around 40 cows is never fun no matter how many fences are around you.

So far it's been no problem getting in and out to breed them, but I've noticed if they "get it on" near a fence, sometimes the offspring will be produced outside of it.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

So, obtaining wool:

Do sheep regrow wool yet? None of my penned ones have yet, so do I have to breed and kill them? Because that seems silly, and if that is the case, I imagine it would be easier to farm string from an abandoned mine.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

I've been breeding sheep like mad to acquire wool. While wool seems more difficult to acquire, dyes last forever now. As sheep pass on their color genes, you only have to dye two sheep and their offspring, and their offspring's offspring, will all be said color.

I have a huge pen of green sheep.

I have a terrible feeling I'm going to build like twenty sheep pens all full of different color sheep.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

redmercer posted:

Are you serious? Can we see your sheep pen?
Sure!

See my chicken and pig pen too!

[edited for thumbnails]

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

I'd say that given the nature of dye rarity, blue and brown sheep are the most valuable.

From a purely efficiency-minded standpoint, green dye is probably the easiest to farm, and so not a very useful one for sheep-farming.
Well yeah. Though currently dye rarity is moot. It's easy to get (or craft) at least two dye of any color, and then you're off.

I play a single-player world, I needed green wool, so I made green wool. I really do think I'm going to start a sheep farm of every color eventually.

Jelly fucked around with this message at Nov 27, 2011 around 04:41

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

People here have been criticizing notch as a worthless developer since before Jesus.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

"A proper patch does good like a medicine; but a slew of bugs dries the bones."

Proverbs 17:22

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Putting someone else in charge is not the same thing as quitting developing the game in general. He specified that he is doing the former but everyone is overjoyed because they think it is the latter.
I'm pretty sure everyone is overjoyed because with jeb "in charge" things will actually get done. Like they actually already are.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Leadthumb posted:

Does a sheep's wool regrow as the same color it was before it was sheared, or does it just regrow white?
In current mechanics, a sheep does not regrow wool. This is something we'll presumably see soon (evidenced by jeb's twitter).

A sheared sheep will produce offspring of the dyed/original color. This might suggest that they will regrow as the same color.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

I love that guy.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

If Joseph needs anything for his dream coat, I can probably help.
(still under expansion)

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Locus posted:

Is that even if you leave the area completely and come back?
Yes.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

What is that thing coming out of your roof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

fondue posted:

I've always found diamonds by doing two things; exploring caves and excavating lava pits.
I think in general this is pretty good advice but my fresh game I dug straight down to y=12 and started stripping and exploring caves and I've found like 20 diamonds strip mining and maybe 12 throughout the caves system.

But I've also found more diamonds than iron so far so I think I'm getting extra lucky.

«2 »