Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

I figured out how to make a 1.5-tick clock (on for 1 tick, off for half a tick each cycle) and made an unnecessarily long video explaining it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-4bMN2H5PE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

It's probably not ideal timing to post about something that's not specifically 1.8-related, but I can't for the life of me figure out why redstone repeaters seem to be changing the function of things I build when they should in theory only be accepting signals from those things (and their internal delays seem to have significant effects, too). Is there an explanation for this that anyone knows of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1CQ0FqDPM8

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

thehustler posted:

Yeah, that's a good point.

To be honest, this isn't as bad as I first thought, I haven't had to repair a block for ages and when I do it's only 1 or 2.

Calm down, thehustler.

I guess one final though on this: If you're building something for functionality rather than aesthetics and just need it to be shielded, you can surround it with the output streams of cobblestone generators and just light the inside. Endermen can't remove the blocks as fast as they're replaced and they need a clearance of three to pass, so you can just set up their output streams with a clearance of two and dig pits around the generators themselves, making them unreachable by the endermen, and it'll be secure even if a future update makes it so they can move all blocks.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Opentarget posted:

That does sound like it will work. Time to learn AND gates then. Will report back with findings.

As stated above, an XOR gate will work and AND won't, but an XNOR gate will also work, which can be both conceptually simpler or more compact, depending on what your limitations are... videos tend to be simpler to follow, so here's a few:

XOR (two piston-free versions): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSlu1LNmP9E
XNOR (easy to understand): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48VXV0B3rh8
XNOR (most compact): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouSUSdOrS5Y

Willie Trombone fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 19, 2011

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

It couldn't be off at the other side of the bridge, as it would need to be on to cross it in the first place. Unless you have some way of crossing without the bridge, the state of the lever you can't reach will always be on.

E: If this wouldn't work, I want to know why. My C in GCSE DT is worthless if I can't get this right :suicide: But really, the lever you can't reach would HAVE to be on by design in order to move away from it.

You could...

...spawn on one side of the bridge, cross it, retract the bridge, die, and spawn back on the first side again.

...dig across the bridge, get lost in tunnels and come out on the other side, come out of an unexpected nether portal, or otherwise unintendedly travel to the opposite side of the retracted bridge.

...have a second bridge of the same sort that you wish to also use when approaching from another direction.

...have an enderman remove a block somewhere along the way cutting the power from the opposite side.

Even if the intended use were to cross exclusively only at this one bridge while never tunnelling aimlessly or screwing around with nether portals and only playing on peaceful, it still doesn't take much more effort to us an XOR or XNOR than it does to use and AND, so it's really just a best-practices "in-case" sort of thing. Using XNOR versus AND only changes one element of the truth table, and it makes the bridge always operable from where you are (and also repairable to the state of operation from where you are in the case of an enderman mucking about).

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

I don't think it's an underground lake - the thing that's weird about it is that it spreads instead of going straight down like it's supposed to when a waterfall is formed.

Maybe it's possible that it's a water source that spread out on flat land and then got cut through by a ravine (or similar feature). To me, ravine generation seems to occur after the normal terrain generation, including water flow, so if this were how it occurs then a ravine cutting right along next to a water source block would fail to remove it and the flow blocks coming from it, resulting in something like what you're seeing.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Also, if just scaling the GUI isn't what you're talking about, try leaving the game in windowed mode but stretching the window only horizontally... the game fixes the vertical field of view to its display height, so you can effectively see more of the game world at once by shrinking its display vertically.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

I made a 0.5-tick clock, 'cause why not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha5hp50ZfLY

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

DarkStryke posted:

Alright you redstone circuit pro's, I need some help and I've gone in circles with googlefu.

Here's what I posted on a small community server forum:

I tried putting repeaters on both paths, a whole bunch of elaborate spaghetti redstone and repeater layouts from web examples but I just can't get this to work.

** There we go.

You didn't really specify many properties, so hopefully this works for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbpxYkcIUto

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

eletist posted:

I just discovered that if you are walking down a 2x2 tunnel sprint and hold down jump. You move at about 3x speed :stare: It uses a lot of appetite up, though.

:wink:
:wmwink:

It's even faster when done on ice (I think): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK1_mp1swKo

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Macaluso posted:

Shovels you should not be using diamond for, that's a waste.

Diamond shovels are actually the best way to find iron as they can clear blocks from cave walls faster than diamond pickaxes can and they can remove thrice as many blocks per diamond consumed. At the depth where diamonds are, there may not be enough dirt and gravel for this to make tons of sense, but over the range where iron appears you can find iron at the rate of about one per minute if you race through caves scouring out all of the dirt and gravel you see (or you used to anyway, I haven't done intensive iron mining since pistons were added).

Willie Trombone fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 24, 2011

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Taffer posted:

That doesn't make it any less retarded, or smaller.

Well, if it were implemented that way then at least you would be able to run signals vertically simply by stacking redstone blocks and it wouldn't always require a supporting surface underneath (this is often overlooked, but because of this requirement a single piece of redstone wire effectively consumes two cubic meters of space).

A mod I'd be interested in seeing (though I have no idea how to go about making it myself so I don't think I'll ever try) is to have blocks that are like cubic chunks themselves with conducting faces that you could modify (so, specifically, right clicking on such a block would make you take control of a robot inside a 14x14x14 space with solid redstone walls where you can build whatever redstone stuff you want connected to the six faces and then press "Esc" when done) and then after modification the block continues to perform all of the functions of the miniature stuff inside according to normal minecraft physics, just unseen. You could maybe also have features like right clicking on such a block with another such block in hand copies its functions so that then placing such blocks will start them off with the same stuff the other had internally.

Something like this is the only way I can see of retaining the few-component functionality of current redstone while making it smaller. Although I personally like the pre-made single-block gate ideas, I doubt they'll ever become standard because I think one of the reasons for the way redstone has been implemented is that you can in theory do anything with only two block types (repeaters weren't added until later) and suddenly increasing that by an order of magnitude for even just basic operators would seem like game clutter to those not using much redstone.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

I'm working on a demo for a NOR toggle that I thought would be relatively simple and illustrate things nicely. Except it's not working.

The central bit of it is a RS NOR latch or toggle (or I'm not sure what the difference is), with the two inputs being the levers visible to the left and right, and the outputs are the iron door and the torch near the lever on the right.

What I want to happen is that the door starts out open (I was just messing with the levers and forgot to switch it back for the screenshot) and the visible torch starts off unlit, then if someone pulls the left lever the door shuts and stays toggled shut, and the torch toggles on. Then the lever on the right acts as the reset switch, opening the door again and shutting the alarm light off.

What's actually happening is that if I flick the left lever the warning light comes on and off like I'm just using a plain input switch, and the same thing happens with the right lever, but it controls the door.

This is going to be another really dumb mistake, isn't it?

It isn't really clear what's going on with the left torch and switch... specifically, why is the redstone that is coming out from somewhere behind that stuff powered even though the switch is off and it doesn't connect to the torch?

Even ignoring that, the only power to the door comes from the bottom-left torch, which is directly controlled by the right switch, so that switch will always change the state of the door if the bottom-right torch is off, which is always the case if the left switch is on... or to put that more simply, try replacing the switches with buttons -- so you never have the left switch stuck on -- after you fix whatever is going on with the redstone coming out from behind the left switch.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

The background redstone would be a sample NOR toggle that I made just to test it out, and which I totally forgot was in the shot. Woops. It's not connected to anything.

I'll try the buttons, thanks. :)

I could tell that the background circuit wasn't connected, I wasn't talking about that. The redstone going up under/behind the sign is powered but whatever is powering it isn't shown in this shot... that's important, even if it's just a torch inverting the switch's output.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Emong posted:

If you put a block directly under the flowing bit they should sort themselves out.

I may be wrong, but I think the best way to do this is to build columns up all the way from the sea floor and then dig them out again from the top down, otherwise you risk the blocks under the surface becoming waterfall blocks, which look the same but take longer to swim up through and may drown animals.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Aspergite time!

Redstone question: I've been driving myself nuts with this for the last hour or so. I'm trying to make a set of pistons that will push up/down to raise and lower two blocks of sand, like so:

becomes

and then when the lever is turned off, the delay switches make everything come back down again in order. This works perfectly! However it's on ground level, and needs to be hidden underground, so I build:

(please ignore slightly bad screenshot, not sure what happened there). As you can see, this is the EXACT same layout, only underground. However, the lower piston does not activate at all, and the upper piston does. What's going wrong here?

There's actually a bug in Minecraft (I'm convinced it's a bug anyway) that I've been meaning to make a video about for a while now and it looks like you may be running into it. What it requires is a piston that is unpowered having a block that is edgewise-diagonally above it which is powered. If anything is updated in any of the blocks next to the retracted piston, then the piston will extend if it is able (this is the standard "block update detector" effect). The bug in this case is that the piston will also extend if a piece of redstone or a redstone repeater up to two blocks away has its state changed (either by changing its powered state or by having a piece of redstone or a repeater placed next to it). What this means for your setup is that the the wood block diagonally above the top piston powers, then the bottom piece of redstone powers, and since that piece of redstone is within two blocks of the top piston, both pistons are sent commands to extend.

Now, as to why the different effect in different places: When two things are supposed to happen simultaneously in Minecraft, those things are actually given an order to happen pseudorandomly via Java HashSets (see here for a clearer explanation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt7YEYdx6RE), which means that every time that exact set of simultaneous things are told to happen, they will happen in the same (but-not-predictable-before-testing) order as long as everything that is involved in the entire action is the same, but unfortunately it turns out that the exact location of the action matters (as well does the size of the HashSet currently saved in memory, which is determined by the largest simultaneous action that occured since the map was loaded).

What this means from a general design perspective, then, is that you have to take into account the "powered block edgewise-diagonally above a piston" thing (both when powering and depowering the block), the fact that redstone and repeaters changing state will update pistons two blocks away, and you also have to make sure after all of that to never have two contradictory effects occuring as a result of the same action, otherwise you will get different results at different locations and different results depending on what had been done prior in that loading of the map. Also note that a downward- or horizontally-directed piston which is extended while being unpowered experiences similar affects (adjacent updates or redstone/repeater updates two blocks away will cause the piston to retract... such an extended and unpowered piston may be set up by the above technique and then depowering or even removing the edgewise-diagonally above block that was powered).

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Thanks for all the info, shame it's a bug :( I'm kinda dense when it comes to this stuff, could you spell it out in layman's what needs to be done to get this sorted? Can I rearrange it slightly to make it work in this area, or change the delays perhaps?

The first thing that occurs to me is to simply power the top piston with a repeater (so move the end wood block down, remove the other top wood block, and put a repeater pointing toward the piston at the end of the redstone). To keep all of your timings correct, you would need to add another repeater to the redstone going to the left. After that it should work consistently but it will be one tick slower.

The second is to simply move the right-most repeater in your current design, the redstone in front of it, and the redstone behind it down one meter (this technically takes up more space, though).

Edit: Even simpler, put a dirt block to the right of the bottom piston and have the repeater aim at that instead.

Willie Trombone fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 16, 2011

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Is this why my 2x2 piston door setup won't work, and leaves one of the blocks unextended? :( I wish I was smarter so I could figure out why it was happening.

I'd have to see your exact setup to know for sure, but assuming that you are directly powering all of the pistons in the setup, I would guess you have some other issue because this bug only causes extension failures when two pistons are conflicting in their commands to extend.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

King of Cheeses posted:

Thanks for this. I had a bunch of weird stuff happen when powering a 2 x 3 block of pistons (see final working result below) and am now convinced this is why. I adopted a trial and error approach to powering all 6 pistons adding 1 at a time to an already powered circuit. Then I'd cut the power and re-power them all at once seeing a different result (some pistons wouldn't be activated).

If I'm correct redstone A powers piston 1 but also through block B powers piston 2 while redstone C powers piston 3.

Yeah, it looks like that could be a case where the bug would come up (I want to take the opportunity to clarify that the bug I found has to do specifically with redstone or repeaters changing state two blocks away from something then causing a state change in that thing; the possible-bug regarding powering pistons diagonally above and then updating them separately has been known for some time and is the basis of "block update detectors" as well as most forms of "instant wire").

It turns out that blocks that can be powered have three powered states: off, weakly-powered, and strongly-powered. A block that is weakly-powered will power adjacent powerable objects like pistons and even redstone repeaters but not redstone itself, while a strongly-powered block will power anything that can be powered (generally... I think I remember there being some weirdness here with note blocks but I never looked into it). A block is only weakly-powered instead of off or strongly-powered if redstone above it or pointing into it from the side is powered (and also nothing else is strongly-powering the block). So, if you removed the line of redstone leading to 3, then it should still extend and retract with the pistons above it as long as the power is switched betwen on and off slowly enough, but the real reason it does so is because it would be getting updated by piston 2 changing state right next to it. Remove both piston 2 and redstone line C and piston 3 would fail to extend.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Mark Zuckerberg dying in the sun was kinda funny, and I guess that could excuse the skeleton part as being a necessary setup, but the rest of it seemed like they were just forcing too much disparate stuff together and having to explain absolutely everything as a result... on the other hand, I didn't get the track part at all, so maybe I'm missing something or there's context for the jokes external to this clip.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

truncated aardvar posted:

What's the best way to kill Endermen at the moment in Pre 4? I stumbled upon one in a cave the other day and killed him pretty easily, but the others I encounter outside don't want to party and just teleport away.

If you don't have a pumpkin, proactively build a low (2m) ceiling that you can stand under, look at the enderman, and then get it to teleport next to you and attack it while it just stands there.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I want it to be in vanilla so badly. 5% chance of a Stronghold chest holding a creeper inside that leaps out at you when opening would be amazing.

I kinda feel like it would be better if the creeper didn't leap out but if it popped up and it also showed on the chest inventory screen so that you would have to exit the screen before you could run away.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Yeah, if you understandably can't be arsed to do the whole thing, at least put it on a server after you get bored, or find someone who will, so that others can complete the rest (it's a drat good idea, I've only seen individual rides done by others before and I think this would be a way more interesting project).

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Yogscast, and especially their Minecraft content, didn't get really big until after the first million copies of Minecraft were sold (if I'm remembering stuff correctly), so its "success" isn't due to them, but it almost certainly helped it get as big as its ended up, plausibly contributing like a +30% multiplier affect.

That being said, to me the actual quote sounds like they were saying it more jovially, like they feel as though they are part of something bigger than themselves rather than owed something because they themselves are so important (they undoubtedly would agree that most of the audience that they have now wouldn't be there were it not for Minecraft). Getting your words sensationalized is how you learn the hard way not to give print-only interviews to struggling for-profit publications, so hopefully they'll insist on videos of their interviews in the future.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Old Greg posted:

Do we still have a "Cool Seeds" thread? Or has that been moot since 1.9 pres have been rolling out?

There is one, but it's debatable as to whether "we have" it or not (it's in PYF): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3391658

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

blastron posted:

The torch/cobble method of marking caves is the best method. Always place torches along one side of the wall. If you hit a branch, place a torch in the middle of the floor along each branch. When you're done exploring a branch, remove the marking torch and put it on the wall. If there was something interesting down the way, dig out the block the torch was on, replace it with cobble, and put the torch back. Exception: If you're in a large cavern, place torches on the floor wherever you need, but make sure that any wall torches are consistent such that if you keep wall torches on your right, you'll get out eventually.

Don't have to carry extra materials around, and it promotes actually lighting up your mines.

A technique that I like for more awkwardly-junctioned caverns (where it can be ambiguous which direction a marker points like at multi-level junctions) is to place a chest and put items in its corners and edges while facing it from its front to denote which directions have been explored and have interesting stuff (you can even place a bucket of lava to denote that lava is in a certain direction, etc.). If you don't want to waste the wood, then you can achieve nearly the same result by facing a furnace toward a direction and then placing items in its top slot to denote what's in that direction, etc. but this takes far more space than the one block per junction that the chest occupies.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

This is going to be a strange question, but it's inspired by Minecraft and someone here with game / computer resource development may have some idea:

We know Creepers were originally pig models that didn't come out right. But once I saw a picture of the faild pig model, I couldn't help but wonder how it's possible to say "I'm going to make a pig model" and wind up with something like that. I mean, if I made a pig model, it'd suck, but think it would still be a vaguely pig-shaped model.

It just looks like he put in the wrong (or possibly even just swapped the) dimensions for the length and height of the rectangular prism that is the pig's torso and, after looking at it, decided to use it for the creeper.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

I'm betting this is more of a failed attempt at a prank ending than a failed attempt at a deep ending. It's fun and all to make fun of Notch's judgement, but even if you think he is seriously mentally disabled, that still doesn't explain how no one else at the company could have said anything about that being a bad idea for an ending (eight uninterrupted minutes of some of the best prose known to man would be a bad idea for the ending of a video game... Honeydew couldn't even read it aloud at the pace it was scrolling, either, so what the hell are children -- the main demographic for video games -- supposed to do?).

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Hopefully someone will mod in a way to create replayable in-engine cutscenes and then sell it to Notch so he can make an ending that actually fits with the rest of the game (even if it still is a prank ending).

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Yeah, as much as I'm sure someone eventually reads their email and then suggests things to them, I feel like publicly shaming them about their breaking things that work everywhere else on the internet might get stuff fixed faster.

Yogscast persons: In addition to all the problems already mentioned with your comics layout, by forcing them to all load into the same-sized area so they can be needlessly scrolled between horizontally, you have quite literally put your artists' content in a box. Most comic artists have ideas from time to time that don't fit well into their standard format, usually going longer. These longer comics would be only on the internet, though, so they cost you nothing extra while effectively being delicious, delicious extra content... unless you force them into spaces where they don't fit, then your artist may either half-rear end the idea or discard it altogether (far less delicious). Also, putting tons of filler space on the smaller pieces to match the dimensions of larger pieces looks like rear end. There are ways to swap out an image on a page and hav the browser rerender it to fit without reloading the entire page if that's what this was intended to reduce.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Many pages back, while helping someone debug something they made with redstone and pistons, I mentioned that I planned to make a video which explains all of the bugs that I've found in Minecraft that have to do with interactions between pistons and redstone. Well, I finally got around to it and it turned into a 40-minute treatise of must-see redstone talk.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94JXHj9DJ10
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv-Ys1tXtno

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

JGBeagle posted:

Okay, good. Because if on the 18th Minecraft still does not play on my computer, I'm going to see if I can't get a refund.

At that point it should really be able to play on a Windows 7 computer.

Since 1.8.1 it's played really well even on my mediocre laptop which runs Windows 7. Also, for all of the approach's flaws, one of the advantages of implementing your game in Java, as Notch has with Minecraft, is that it's effectively operating-system agnostic -- depending mostly on Java -- so I don't know where you got the idea that it won't run in Windows 7.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Vanderdeath posted:

Yeah, I figured this was the cause...but there are mods out there that have the same functionality as redstone wire but allow attachment to walls. There's no reason why they can't steal it from one of those.

I haven't seen the mods, but the most simple and straight-forward way to do it from the start would be to make redstone direction-agnostic... that is, the redstone graphic is always displayed on all adjacent conducting block surfaces, not just the bottom one. The problem with that then becomes that redstone should no longer just power the block below it and those it points to, but all six blocks around it, resulting in redstone creations requiring even more space than they already do in many cases. The other potential problem is that redstone would either have to connect around all corners or none, counterintuitively requiring an entire new piece of redstone to make the connection between piles of redstone that go up stairs (also resulting in moving blocks no longer easily cutting redstone signals and probably signals counterintuitively jumping from one face of a redstone dust "block" to the opposite face even though it appears to just be air in between). I'd still like this as an option, through crafting a solid redstone block out of four piles of redstone dust for example, but I think Notch's whole thing has been to allow as many different types of in-game actions to be possible with as few items as possible, hence why it was originally only the awkwardly-behaving dust and torches. Since repeaters have been added, though, I think he should be open to redstone blocks, he just hasn't gotten around to it or something. (I'd note that he hasn't even made pistons or redstone dust itself work correctly, as I've already posted about at length.)

edit: I should clarify a bit that Notch's "vision" of simplicity seemed to originally be that (except for suff like chests) each block at most had an identity as to what type of thing it was and a direction in which it faced, and the game's rules would determine its function from that alone. Wire that sometimes goes up walls and sometimes doesn't, sometimes with selectable directionality and sometimes not, changes torch + dust + repeater to torch + many types of dust + repeater, and so I'm guessing he at least originally though that sort of implementation would be making redstone more complicated for the typical player to use rather than simpler even though that would be making redstone dust work more like one expects wires to work in real life.

Willie Trombone fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Nov 18, 2011

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

For those wondering how dual wielding could possibly work, it might just be something as simple as holding "Ctrl" uses the left hand (knowing Notch, he'll add an option in the settings menu to let you choose which hand is default and which is "Ctrl"-accessed). So, for example, holding "Ctrl" and scrolling selects the item to be in your left hand, holding "Ctrl" and clicking uses it, etc.

Hadlock posted:

Are we getting a new thread tonight/tomorrow after release?

It'd probably make the most sense to start a new thread after attendees' trip reports get posted rather than starting a new thread with them.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Stuhlmajor posted:

Well, there's the Minecon thread, so I don't see why those wouldn't just fit in there.

Well, I've read every post in this thread and haven't seen any links to a Minecon thread, and I've just looked for a link in the OP and also through the first few pages of Games and not seen it there either... so unless someone links to that thread here and forbids Minecon posts here like was done for Minecraft mods, I'm guessing that we're gonna get them whether they can fit elsewhere or not.

gravyflood posted:

Wait, so is Minecraft out yet or not? :confused:

It'll most likely be released in about three hours.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

To be honest, I don't think that keynote was nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. It wasn't even Sony bad.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Every time it has been mentioned, it's been implied that the vanilla game will continue to be worked on for another year or so. I honestly don't know if this release date signifies anything other than the fact that they are now calling it a game and are releasing it to be reviewed (I kinda cynically think it's a ploy to raise a little more money through publicity and Minecon while the game is still getting loads of attention, and I don't really fault them for taking advantage of that any more than I fault other companies for taking similar opportunities).

I guess the game's core code is in a finalized-enough state that they're going to focus on making it as moddable as possible before anything else major, but they've already said they're going to be changing the terrain generation code in some ways and the AI in significant ways, so both worlds and some mods will likely have to be redone to some extent in the future, etc.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Install Gentoo posted:

There' s no bugs to bitch about and a lot of us hadn't played the pre-releases much at all due to wanting to be able to play on SMP for the past month.

I'm still finding new bugs/quirks in the game and making videos about them... I guess I could post links to the videos as I make them.

Here's a bug in how walking works, specifically walking off of ledges: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqVyEwS_E4

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

fondue posted:

Did you make one about the hilarious locations for the enderworld island vs strongholds?

No, I've only been playing the official updates, so everything after beta 1.8 is new to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Miijhal posted:

Development time. The time making a horrible ending could have been spent on, say, not having doors still be buggy in the release, or making the villagers slightly less stupid or even maybe useful.

I'm not sure how much sense this position really makes. Notch outsourced the writing of the ending to some fiction writer he liked, basically saying "I want a wall of text" and then just slapped that into a line of code that would make it scroll (and I guess added colors and the effect where some of the words appeared to be on the fritz). He may have been able to debug doors some with the time saved in simply printing the word "end" to screen as the ending, but I don't think AI was in the cards there.

Edit: I tend to agree with people who feel like developer time has been underused in debugging the game, but I come at it from a very specific angle, specifically that Mojang has raked in some fifty million dollars, so they have absolutely no excuse for not hiring a ton of people to work on finishing this game which is specifically what people have been pre-buying with the promise that it will be worked on extensively. A lot of ire is being aimed at the details of what Notch has been doing, but there's no reason to aim at the details when it's clear that they are way understaffed when compared to similarly-endowed game companies, and more people means more manhours per week for everything that they claim they want to get done, period.

Willie Trombone fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 20, 2011