Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
I'm having a big problem with a 'recv failed' error coming up the second I try to log into any server on my home network.

I googled and did a driver update on my network cards which seemed to fix the problem for a couple hours before it started up again even more stubbornly.

Can anyone shed some light/explain/help with a solution on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

iamnotcreative posted:

I found this to be rather impressive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRAQETIr-uU

I think this merits some more discussion.

Holy poo poo I can't get over how cool this is.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

So I have a Single Player save I've really been enjoying and would like to play it from work as well as home.

What's the most efficient way to go about doing this?

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Senator Woofington posted:

Can anyone recommend some good seeds? Other than gargamel etc.

I had a lot of fun on SCARY loving POLYGONS

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Isn't that how the cubic chunks mod works? And didn't Notch already claim it was impossible until that was created?

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

I usually watch those Digital Diamond segments during a break at work, and yesterday's entry was a slap to the face of everything I've ever made in this game.

365 days of work by 50+ players (who appear to be very talented) without any item gives or imported schematics.

Every single build previewed in the video looks amazing, it's truly some of the best work I've seen yet.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Eiba posted:

Does anyone have any idea how the heck I'd go about doing that (or have any guides/videos that might address something like that)?

Most of my learning started out on this page, its written in a bit of a pandering tone but the content is pretty solid.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/104953-the-absolute-beginners-guide-to-everything-redstone/

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

wyoming posted:

Notch is even working on it a bit.

Am I reading this correctly? Sprinting will just eat food out of my inventory?

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Macaluso posted:

I like the like... experience orbs that pop out and fly over to you when you kill something. It reminds me of when you kill something in Kingdom Hearts, and have the magnet thing and all the HP and mana and Munny come flying over to you.

I was reminded of Crackdown.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Loving Life Partner posted:

Oh yeah, update on the underground desert:

Is that a god-awful texture pack or has it just been that long since I played with the defaults?

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

I for one am excited for the new update, and the newly generated chunks hopefully won't clash horribly with the 'within reason' settings I use on my server currently. I need to use a funny configuration with Phoenix Terrain Mod just to roughly approximate what turns out to be a major upcoming feature.

The hunger gauge sounds potentially annoying, but can we please just focus on how sprinting will probably make PVP fun, and how Gold may finally get a use with the advent of XP?

Also building moats to deal with endermen will be fun, any word on what they'll drop?

e: oh and I saw some speculation but nothing official, in the recent weeks Notch confirmed (I believe) via twitter that zombie's rotting flesh drops will heal you but also poison you. I'm excited but weary about poison, it's always been my least favorite game-trope, but I have a feeling it'll have a nice place within MC.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Doesn't that effectively just give you a longer health bar?

More effective hearts above half hunger, less effective hearts below half; as I understand it.

I think it sounds neat but 0.5 hearts is pretty ridiculous in my opinion unless it drains insanely slowly.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Orv posted:

Apparently setting ones server.properties file to "online-mode=off" allows you to skip the auth servers. So the Goon server could do that if so inclined. Just connect to the server even if it reads Offline in your list.

Fake Edit: Tested and working.

I was dumb enough to try it so someone else might be too..

online-mode=false

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Hadlock posted:

You can cut wild/tall grass with shears.

Finding out you could do this with tree leaves in vanilla minecraft was a mindfuck.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Deep Winter posted:

How do you make Rubber in the technic pack? PDF guide says three wood blocks with a treetap at the bottom, but this does nothing, and I can't find it in the recipe book. :saddowns:

This is not the thread you're looking for.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

So if I update my server to 1.8, is there any special workaround that still needs to be done to get villages et al to spawn in the new chunks?

Also I'm running a super-chill survival server and wouldn't mind a couple goons coming to essentially play co-operative single player on a big, mostly empty map. I can't support enough people to warrant a PGS thread but I figured I'd put the word out for any goons that are looking for a very small (usually 1-2 people online at a time) server with a strict 'no being dicks' policy. If you wanna build some cool looking poo poo, and know no ones gonna do anything besides admire it, let me know. Fairly minimal in terms of mods, just some quality of life stuff.

Some of the construction projects and Mt. Blargen from the server's first month. A few more are in my imgur folder.

Dr. Tommy John fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 14, 2011

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Rack posted:

I'm no expert, but I think unless you use something like MCedit to delete chunks entirely, new stuff wont be created in already generated chunks.

I'm aware of that and yes you're right. We purposely prevented any exploring too far out so new chunks were close by, but I had heard there was an issue with getting the villages and a couple other features to load in on existing worlds, even in the chunks with new terrain gen applied

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

glitchwraith posted:

Or just throw the bowl to the ground. Not that big of a deal to pick it up again, or make a new one if you where dumb enough to eat soup over lava. Or leave the stew as is but give some kind of added benefit. Perhaps as a cure for food poisoning?

Or just get rid of the stupid bowls altogether. Oh no I wasted 3 planks making the most easy-to-obtain food item! I have broken the bank!

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Taffer posted:

Is there a difference?

Notch has flip flopped between the stance of 'When I coded Minecraft I wasn't thinking and North is where the sun rises.' and calling the directions by their true points (Sun rises in East)

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Fren posted:

That's it. I double-tap my keys constantly, so I've been sprinting for millisecond intervals without realizing it. How do I disable sprinting?

Stop double tapping your keys?

e:

Nindoze posted:

bleh hunger shouldn't kill you when it runs out, that's just irritating for a game.

A better mechanic would be you take more damage as you get hungrier, until you die in one hit when fully depleted.

It only kills you on Hard, because that makes it harder.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

minecraft.net seems to be down for me and I can't log in either through the client I have to update it. I'm guessing this isn't happening to other people though

Mollstam is working on the site, as I understand it. No one can connect.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

EDIT - Maybe it's only this one chunk? I walked a little ways away and could dig okay. No idea.

I think spawn protection is applied by default for a few block radius around spawn in the server config.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

melaTONE posted:

So I have the old straight-to-menu launcher and have been getting a "Login Failed" Message for the past couple hours. Is the common solution uninstall/reinstall? I thought it is just doing this since they are changing minecraft.net. :saddowns:

Switching to the newer launcher fixed it for me.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So I have a question! Why are there endermen in my caves and ravine that have purple eyes and give off purple particles? It's kind of worrying :ohdear:

Wiki says that they were all changed to have that effect.

It is not a Magic Enderman.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

FirePhoenix posted:

Can anyone confirm this? if you right-click a cow with a bucket are you getting milk? My brother tried and was unsuccessful even after about 50 clicks. I haven't seen a cow yet in my world so I can't check, all I get are sheep.

Click it's udder.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

I think I can see where you guys are coming from, but I can't fathom how you could think it was better to limit the best gameplay experience to those who were lucky enough to be a member of a community that has our understanding of the mechanics of things.

My girlfriend doesn't know Gargamel from a wheat seed, she still should be able to load up minecraft and get some kickin' rad mountains, shouldn't she?

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

loving Endermen. I was off scouting locations for my next building project. I got back to my pirate ship and went down to the hold to find this:

Not only did they somehow learn how to swim. Not only did they steal a piece of my hull leaving a hole in the ship. But those assholes stole a piece of my mast and the ladder attached to it!

Can anyone give me a report on whether Endermen will remove a block with a piece of minecart track on it? That would have to be modded out immediately to facilitate any kind of reliable rail travel.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

ItalicSquirrels posted:

Am I the only one that takes an odd amount of pleasure in finding, harvesting, and baking clay?

I will run clear across the draw distance for even a few pieces, while running right past diamond ore blocks assuming I will 'get them once I finish lighting this cave.'

I cannot explain why.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Beard Yawn posted:

Does anyone here use any of the goon server hosts to run a server? I'm looking to rent a server for a group of friends, and I was leaning toward SMP's, since it looks like the best one. But I'm interested in hearing experiences with any of them!

I use Akliz (SMP's service) and cannot sing enough praises for it without inserting part of him into part of me. Any specific things you're looking to know about?

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Beard Yawn posted:

Just general impressions, support quality, stuff like that. I haven't run a Minecraft server before, but I imagine it's not too different than most games. One specific question, if I rent a Bukkit-enabled server, can I switch back and forth to vanilla when we get an update and Bukkit isn't ready?

General Impressions: Stable (completely, has not gone down on us once), quick, and their support is more than fast and helpful enough. The control panel you're provided with removes 99% of any help you'd require though, it's quite intuitive.

And yes, switching between builds and changing a lot of the server settings are easier than they have any right to be.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

I thought there was some problem with them randomly/inexplicably dying when you tried to raise them in close quarters?

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

VomitOnLino posted:

That's a sensible explanation yeah. Didn't think of that.
But... one lake that I saw had no gravel whatsoever in its vicinity.

How about sand?

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

I know this has been brought up but I can't seem to find it.

Where is the property I need to change to make villages spawn in the new chunks in a 1.7 world?

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

There is the super inefficient method of dying white blocks made from web string.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

EightBit posted:

I thought I was just getting lucky (creeper spawner gently caress yeah unlimited tnt!) when a stream came running around a corner the other day. I was disappointed when I didn't find a dungeon.

AFAIK Creeper Spawners don't exist in un-modded minecraft.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Can anyone confirm whether they fixed or changed animal spawning in any way?

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

I doubled my world size on my SMP server to finish building 20% of my wool lighthouse.

gently caress Sheep Forever.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

I really hope they change the name of the game to SCORLLS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

The Aged-er Parchment