Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I've built an entranceway to my eventually large home of sorts, and I used these sticky piston doors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=346yRSqWot8&NR=1

Is there some way with minimal absurd redstone garbage to make doors like this safe from monsters and baby ducks wandering into my home, or to 'disable' them while I'm inside by pulling a switch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
The one time I tried building double iron doors I realized what a goddamned mess it is to build *any* gate, and how much underground space it requires. I'm having enough of a time wiring up two tone doorbells to these existing gates now. That being said, putting two stone blocks across the middle of the 3x2 doorway when I'm inside results in piles of gunpowder, features and arrows. :)

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Man, sometimes this game pisses me off.

I built that door I linked, and a second one not too far away. Two entrances on either side of my eventual big-rear end building on a mountain. There were only about three spaces between the closest section of redstone.

I put another line in the middle of them, connecting four total note boxes to make a four-note doorbell. I linked them in from both sides of doors via repeater, added a few more to delay the notes, and everything looked great. I log out to save and fire up fraps, figuring I'll try and do a video of this. Fire it back up, and now all of the doors are hosed, everything is stuck open, and creepers are all like SUP NO DOORS and blowing all my hard work up (along with me).

Does 1.7 still have that redstone torches forget they are working bug or something, where I might have to reset a torch to fix a circuit? That poo poo is unacceptable :( Moreso because it seems that my buildings all attract about 50% creepers, all day, hoppin' in my poo poo.

Night. Maybe tomorrow I'll rebuild this poo poo I wasted an hour+ playing with :(

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

hogofwar posted:

This was in a magazine which notch hinted to in a hat picture he posted on twitter.

I'm really confused by what you said, and how it was a response to the post you quoted, so I tried scanning that with a cell phone barcode reader and felt lonely and scared. What?

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
OK, that makes sense now, even though I don't really get the image, but it doesn't make sense as a reply to someone with problems with bad chunks on their SMP server?

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Please tell me these actually flow so we can huck finn this poo poo.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Al! posted:

Buildable boats in a similar vein to the zeppelin mod would be both incredibly awesome and way beyond Mojang's purview.

I imagine the rivers and nearby terrain/trees would not really be big enough for giant boats to go down easily. That'd be a mod along with tweaks to make your rivers monster-wide and give clearance.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I love when someone posts something that long. Always an awesome read.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

A Sassy Dog posted:

Is he? He opened saying he was responding to the question of why they aren't on Steam with Minecraft, not why they won't be on Steam with Minecraft. It all seems a bit vague - not necessarily by intent, of course. He also directly says they're talking about it with Valve and uses language like "probably wouldn't [..]" etc. which indicates to me that it's just a tad up in the air at this point. Not that I'm trying to get into a language debate here..

They are not on steam with minecraft because minecraft hasn't even been remotely released yet. He's talking about why they will not be on steam, after minecraft releases. Could you imagine them releasing an update to MC like they recently did, and then having to wait two days before each iteration of the 'fix' comes out before we get to 1.7.3 and it works again? Aside from this being probably the only 'beta but you get the whole game at this price too' game on Steam.

I think he *has* to go outside of steam and have the microtransaction thing going, because while they've made more money then they certainly hoped to in pre-selling the game, all of those customers aren't obligated to give him another cent, so he needs an after-market that he can work with.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

chippy posted:

This is really loving good. Thread needs more poo poo like this.

seriously, can you box that up in mcedit and post up the schematic? that's beautiful.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Stratafyre posted:

I can try, I'm looking for the mod now. I'll edit this post if I figure it out.

Sorry, prolly better in the modding thread, but technically it's not a mod. Link should be in the OP of one of the threads, but it's a stand-alone program that will read your game map, let you explore it with cludgey controls, and mark a region to copy and save to an external file.

It also lets you take a different game map, find a region, and load and place that schematic you previously saved, letting anyone drop your tower into their world, or you drop your tower into your next world.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Turn based gravity is the best thing ever.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Wahad posted:

Jeb last tweeted that the estimated date is Sept 8th.

6 days to enjoy yogbox because notch ruins everything.

I imagine this is going to seriously blow up most every mod, being that the changes seems so big.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

fondue posted:

He should remove the "f3 = see all monster tags" debug key while he's at it.

I always feel ashamed when I cheat like that.
I just hate being in a cave and hearing close moaning and seeing nothing. :(

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Fayez Butts posted:

Actually I'm pretty sure it's gonna use the wood block texture just like the normal fence.

It looks just like a fence, without a fence post. I think that's fine for a simple fence/gate. Pretty much what I've seen on farms, roughly.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
It's a trick. Every room in every home in every village has an enderman, playing with a special new block.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Loving Life Partner posted:

Would be really great if they started their own mines with a sense of ownership, and also would take up arms against you to protect their territory

I hope that happens, I would love to tunnel under a village and wire up a line of dynamite under each building, leading to a lever in the middle of town, and then pick a fight with all of the villagers try to hold on as long as possible before triggering my surprise.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Vib Rib posted:

3. I don't know about permanently but even in these threads plenty of people have talked about stepping away from the game because they fell in lava because of one errant mis-step.

I have a feeling that if they took the time to come post about it in a minecraft discussion thread, they'll be playing the game again in the near future. Fortunately, I think minecraft is a good game for playing, leaving, and coming back to play.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Tracula posted:

Will sleeping drain your hunger bar? I'm thinking it wont since in vanilla it doesn't technically pass time but with something like Somnia it might become an issue.

I don't think anyone knows yet, but what I do know is that someone who wrote Somnia will have to update it to work with 1.8, and regardless of that answer, they will probably come up with their own.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Either DoctorWho is just a cool seed, or they really loving did an awesome job on updates to world gen, this poo poo is amazing and fun.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
awesome

'a smokey with ears on' spawned me in an underground shallow pool in the dark. Let's see how this goes ;)

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
So I admit I didn't read the last 70 pages... what exactly is hosed about furnaces? Are they entirely unusable in 1.8, meaning nothing better than stone?

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
*sigh* something else I'm not getting.
I had no food, starved, and lost health real fast until I cooked and ate some pork chops.

Now I'm at 8/10 hunger, and have been for much of a game day, but I'm still at half a heart. Hunger not going down, health not going up. Is there something else I'm supposed to do?

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Thanks hog. Holy poo poo I'm loving this. Completely empty useless tunnels going through mountains, sometimes leading to a huge drop into an amazingly large underground.. something. I mean there's old caves, and now there's new loving caverns. This is so awesome.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Goddamn I can't get over how much loving better it is exploring the overland map and the underground caverns/ravines/mines.

I'm having such a loving blast.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Can someone who actually tweets things tweet notch and jeb and tell them about that stupid bug where a door isn't properly checking to see if the object next to it is a door also, so they can both loving open properly? Still not fixed :(

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Vinigre posted:

Double doors are working fine for me. By which I mean they're working the same way they've always worked, which is opening one at a time.

Having to run redstone to two adjacent doors instead of one door activation hitting it's neighbor is something that another person fixed in I believe one line of code that was already there, just written wrongly. The point is it's a dumb behavior, especially with redstone being the enormous mess that it is, and it should be fixed.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Wingless posted:

Boobless? Isn't 5318008 more traditional?

When this was in vogue on all the cool dweebs calculators (ie: when we were 12) it was more fun to call girls boobless then to just say boobies! since we had no idea what to do with them anyway.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

FirePhoenix posted:

I'd rather they hold back 1.8 than release it full of bugs. Glad they're having the sense to do it that way.

They should just officially have a policy of releasing the pre-release candidates and letting the community at large find bugs for them, so they can release a stable build instead of 1.7.1,2,3 in quick succession.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Fire posted:

I agree that there are way too many mineshafts and not enough strongholds. If there was some unique treasure in strongholds that would be one thing. I suspect the number was jacked up as high as it was to make them easier to find at pax

I don't know.. I loving love the hell out of these mineshafts. I got so damned lost, eventually working through a few spider nests (and learning how poison works), becoming thankful for the wood beams underground now (yay wood!), almost dying to falls or attacks a number of times, collecting so much cool poo poo I had to find the surface and holy poo poo where the gently caress am I. Ended up having to dig up, use some ladders and whatnot so it was quicker digging than a whole staircase, and eventually popped up surprisingly close to where I started, but in the ocean of course ;)

In my previous game, I'd wall off sections of cave that were explored and empty, putting up signs in various places to point out where place of interest were to make my excursions into the caves more organized.

I have absolutely no clue how the gently caress I would map out these mine shafts I got lost in, and I think I like it this way. There's so many ravines and areas that I passed and never explored, and I'll probably never find 'em again. It was a blast.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Doing exactly what ever one was suggesting in this thread, even

Exactly. My first thought was.. 10 fingers.. 10 toes.. let's use primes.

Vib Rib posted:

The only thing is that dying in such a state all but guarantees you'll never recover any of your items.

I'll be using a death-chest mod, but I'm fully aware that I may never see my poo poo again if I don't leave a trail, and I'm ok with that, given the coolness of exploring vs. taking everything you can out of tight tunnels and digging long swaths of corridors out at the optimum deep level to try and find poo poo at random.

I also can't wait to have ropes modded in again so I can go spelunking properly. OOh and with ravines we need a rope-arrow to create a rope-bridge, because making block bridges is friggen lame.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Flying around in creative is just incredible. Seed mellybelly has tons of these hollowed-out mountains to fly through or build a castle under.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Dr Snofeld posted:

I think we all knew what would happen when Simon started building bridges out of TNT.

OK that was pretty loving funny.

edit: wtf is with silverfish that looks sucky

glug fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 13, 2011

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Man, I'm enjoying building my mushroom fortress.

I cleared out a stationary lava pool too, now that I've found some diamond. Just opened my first portal on top of some brownshrooms.

I wonder if these fuckers are flammable, and I'll lose all of my poo poo in a lightning storm...

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
So.. has anyone found any loving clay in this update, or did they gently caress it up again :(

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I've spent all my time in swamps, and never thought to look underwater. Guess clay is next, after I build my megafence (sorry about the trees, swamp!)

Please god tell me this wasn't a bug or a fluke.. I swear I just got attacked by a skeleton riding a spider.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I'm using Painterly, and I swear I saw someone else with this issue.. Endermen, Spiders and a few other things all have a plain white texture. Anyone recall what you're supposed to do to fix that?

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

hogofwar posted:

If I recall correctly MCPatcher fixes this issue.

WOrks like a charm, thanks.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

DR AIDS posted:

Minecraft has officially blown my mind. I was swimming along and I see this:

I swam down there and realized I was in an... underwater waterfall? Somehow all the water doesn't go down there and flood the whole place. Weird poo poo.

I've come across lots of poo poo where there was a wall of water not flowing into a cavern, and it was my escape from a long night of dungeoneering. I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Senator Woofington posted:

I am really liking the map on my server!

Which program and settings are people using to pop such a map out? Everyone seems to use the same layout of a map like that.