Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
—Incoming wall of text that white knights the gently caress out of Notch and Mojang, internet reader beware, etc.—

Usually, when a game is developed (especially a new IP) it is released to market as a finished and feature compete product, then patched quickly (or not) for the things that play testing missed. Usually, a game is developed because the company producing it wants to sell it to as many people as possible, and they design features they think will help to sell it. Mostly, this means guessing based on what has sold well previously. Many feature decisions are made because people other than the game designer (who are funding the development) dictate the budget and the release schedule. If the average gamer were able to play their games a year before completion, I bet many would be surprised to find out how little of the finished product is unchanged, how buggy and poorly optimized the game was a year before completion, how much stress and pressure and overwork the developers were obligated to endure to meet their deadlines, and how much of what was originally planned for has been left out all together.

From what I know Notch started developing Minecraft because it was a game he wanted to play, that no one else had made exactly. He did not start it with the expectation that it would sell millions of copies. He has operated from a really simple set of design principles, and he got really lucky that tons of people became interested. He was then able to decide to develop the game according to his schedule, and create his own company, and put in place a work environment that gave him the ability to have fun at his job and not be overworked and beholden to deadlines that force exceedingly long hours. When he started preorders for the finished game, purchasers received beta copies of the game under development, which gave them the chance to see the progress of the game unfold. Until very recently the release date was unannounced and undecided. Notch did not promise a feature list or an explicit development timeline with the beta sales. He isn't finished making the game he wants to play yet, and he keeps adding the things that he wants. In my opinion, games, movies, television, and all the other money intensive, collaborative art forms would be more interesting, more inventive, and more diverse if the people making them were able to make what they personally want to see/do.

Consumers of the Minecraft beta seemingly overlook this element of Mojangs development philosophy—make the game they want to play—and substitute the idea that games are made to please the most potential consumers. They believe that they are in the mainstream of those consumers, so the game should be made to their liking. Beta consumers pretend to be able to predict that things not yet implemented will never be implemented, things that are announced but not yet implemented will specifically work in a way they imagine and do not like, and ideas and desires they have are widely shared by the rest of the consumers of the game.

Here is my prescription for people who are quick to complain that Mojang is abandoning Minecraft, that Notch is misguided in his design decisions, that just because it is in beta, having paid for it entitles them to a complete, working and polished product: never again buy a game in beta, step away from Minecraft until it is at least released, (preferably until Mojang announces they will no longer provide free updates) and go to the Minecraft forums and look long and hard at yourself. It may be that the games you want to play are games that have been tailored specifically to have the broadest appeal to the potential buyer.

It felt good to post that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
Can anyone recommend a decent seed that has 3 or more villages within about a half days walk from the spawn? Oh, and not by a swamp. I hate swamps.

Also, I skipped from 1.8 to 1.0, and the whole enchanting/potions thing passed me by. The wiki on the subject is pretty involved. Is this the kind of thing I can mostly discover myself in-game, or do I need to read it to have a chance?

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
How do you guys go about keeping your villagers safe? I'm building up a village into a large city, and for the sake of their safety, I go to sleep as soon as it gets dark every night. But now it's time for me to do some serious caving (all out of iron, all out of cobble) and I want to do it in the cave network near the village, so I can light it all up.

I want to be able to go in and out of all the village buildings easily, so for the moment I've put fence gates in front of every door, with all the villagers indoors. But I know they might glitch through, and I worry zombies might as well. I really hate blocking off every door with dirt. Another option I suppose is building a little chamber inside each building so they are prisoners in their own homes, but it feels wrong. I just want to be a good steward to them, not a jailor. :(

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
Is 1.8 going live tomorrow? Can I get back into minecrafting, or should I wait a week for bugfixes?

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
Vib Rib, you have it right about how the underground is so sadly undeveloped. In fact, I think almost every part of the game is poorly explored in terms of game design principles. One of my major complaints is how villages are still like a test version of villages. Minecraft could generate amazing procedural cities, or mountaintop castle complexes with dungeons reaching to bedrock. Some of them could be ancient ruins. Every time Mojang in any way alters terrain generation I think to myself "this time, they'll add 300 structures to the catalogue of game generated structures." But nope. It's still square room, other square room, L house, church, blacksmith (no anvil), butcher shop, library, dumb field. The villagers have had a fair amount of attention, which I like, and golems and such. The villages themselves though, are all the same.

There's the jungle temple and the desert temple. They are all identical. Strongholds and Nether fortresses are to date the best randomly generated structures in the game, and that isn't a complement to the their execution. I don't know when the procedural generation boner died at Mojang, but it was too soon. Every biome should have a unique kind of village, and a unique kind of temple, at varying rarity. Rivers should have bridges. Roads should cross large distances.

Actually, that reminds me of my other long standing desire for minecraft. Mobs that actually alter the world. Endermen almost were this, but then for some reason became derpy dirt toters instead. It feels like Mojang never truly built toward the zeitgeist of minecraft, which is a world where any piece can be taken and used to build something. The digital lego aspect of the world should not be restricted to the player. The sense of discovery and aliveness of minecraft would be so much more if the NPCs were an actual part of the mechanic that made minecraft a significant development in game history. The reason creepers are the single most iconic thing that minecraft has produced is because they are a threat to the things you build. I think everyone who has ever played survival minecraft has a fond/traumatic memory about the night they spent running around their hovel or megabuild while creepers detonated around them, and the cratered landscape that memorialized it. But no other mob has come close to being part of the minecraft core mechanic, which is blocks that can be broken and put down.

Villagers should build structures themselves. Zombies should not just poof into existence, they should dig themselves up out of the ground, breaking blocks as they go. Spiders should build webs to trap the player. There should be birds that build nests. There should be redstone dwarves who build redstone devices. A player could watch an NPC make AND NOT and NOR gates in some pre-scripted way to build a piston door or whatever instead of reading a wiki.

In short, what a waste. Also, I just started playing again after about a year off.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
Watching UHC is my favorite thing about minecraft, and it still hurts me to watch my favorite players fail utterly to manage inventory correctly. Why does everyone carry like three stacks of cobble and a stack of dirt and never dump that poo poo when they are trying to free up slots? Why is it that when someone gets a kill they don't instantly craft some chests and sort things in a small fraction of the time they spend tossing one item after another? Stuff like gold bars get left behind, and these ~professional video gamers~ run off with four different kinds of food in their inventories. Ow my stupid OCD guts.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

xzzy posted:

drat, if you're looking for a new seed to try out this is one in a million:

Hmm, looking at that number, I guess it's one in 181 trillion.

Is that seed browser from a website?

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Sanctum posted:

Why doesn't minecraft have its own muse like scott manley is to kerbal space program?

Kerbal is the same as minecraft in attracting mumblers that like to make 10 minute video 'tutorials' about something they already built with no editing whatsoever. All it takes is one well spoken individual with some editing expertise to raise the bar, and then that bar is raised for everyone.

An old mindcracker, Generikb, had a series called Redstone Academy that I found really good for redstone logic and tricks. I assume half of the mechanics have been changed and a ton of redstone gizmos have been added. (It's from 2012, so predates comparators and hoppers and so on.) I haven't kept up with Minecraft at all, but I am just getting back into it with the update. Maybe it's worth a look?

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What did the goon say to the other?

gently caress! Beaten!

What did the goat see?

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

OwlFancier posted:

Surely carrots because you don't need to do anything to them to eat?

Melons are better because the yield is so high per unit of time and you don't ever have to replant.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Vib Rib posted:

Seriously though, baby zombies are still the worst thing in the game after the ending text crawl.

If baby zombies were incapable of climbing one block, they would be fine. Better if they carried a stack of ladders and had to place them to climb to you. But as is, they are the worst.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
Minecraft needs giant ants.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

FPzero posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQBQ0MIpJsk
For nostalgia's sake, here's the old episode.

This is exactly the same episode that triggered my January 26, 2011 purchase.

I remember the layout of their crappy cave base and the moment it went up in flames.

I have played on and off for all that time, some times with year long or longer gaps, and have recently gotten back into it since the aquatic update. Every time I play, I get a) totally hooked and engaged, losing tons of sleep to the game and b) intensely frustrated by how much of the game is placeholder mechanics and unfinished and unpolished elements. Caves and caving, for example. Creepers are still by far the most compelling and unique part of the game.

Now my kids are both into it too, and I have to limit their access to the game for fear that they will do nothing else ever.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Happy Hedonist posted:

That’s a nice feature and I’ll probably use it in the not too distant future. There’s an Ender Dragon drops elytra data pack, which would work since this is a vanilla server, but the problem is that people have built some really cool stuff close to the obsidian pillars. Which reminds me, I need to look into shielding that stuff, or maybe even moving it to the first outer island.

I haven’t had a problem with elytra, because you did the work for me. Chump.

Thx tho

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Happy Hedonist posted:

It promotes the creation of amazing record factories. *paging McAllen*

There’s something intrinsically satisfying about putting on a record for creepers to listen to while a skelegattling battery reduces them to disks.

Of course, inadequate containment means the most sensitive parts of the factory will need to be rebuilt several times over.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
Ropes, pulleys and winches would be amazing. Rather than slime blocks, blocks could be tied together.

I would not be surprised if this already exists as a mod, I don’t play modded Minecraft.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

kindermord posted:

I have subtitles turned on, and while I'm afk fishing I see "Block broken" a few times per minute and I don't think it's fishing related. Can some mobs break blocks or is something else doing it?

Sheep. It’s sheep.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
Way back when I used to use MCEdit as a world editor. Seems quite out of date and listed as inactive development.
Kind of amazing there isn’t a stand alone editor anymore.

I guess I will have to learn worldedit. Can anyone recommend good accessible YouTube channels on worldedit?

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
For getting lost, the best way to avoid this is to use a map, imo. Pick the place you want to be always be able to return to, make a map, zoom it all the way out with paper, clone it, put one in an item frame and keep the other in your inventory. There’s a marker on the map, and the player on the map. The most zoomed out one is huge, and the player marker tells you which way to go to get home. Use beds to skip the night.

Also, mapping in Minecraft is fun.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
I am getting back into Minecraft after about a year away, and I want to completely reset the nether in my main world when 1.16 comes out. Are there any helpful resources for accomplishing that? Any pitfalls I should be aware of? Is this something that is easily done, or is it very difficult?

Trying to find current, readable guides for this sort of thing is a nightmare. I keep turning up 9 year old posts, or posts written by 9 year olds. What I seem to need is a post written for a 9 year old.

Edit: I should clarify that I am on Java edition on a mac, and I can get my totally literate 10 year old kid to read it to my dumb self if necessary.

Hermsgervørden fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 28, 2020

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
Yeah, until you have unbreaking and mending on an elytra, you don’t have an elytra. Never repair with an anvil, only mending.

But true facts, elytra should be craftable.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
I had been getting decent frame rates for my laptop (-60 FPS at 19 chunks render distance) and then I updated to Big Sur Mac OS, and now by frame rate stutters and absolutely plummets when it rains (which is apparently every 5 minutes now? Wtf?) and it makes it shockingly unpleasant to play.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Jamesman posted:

Now that lava is renewable, I just use lava buckets for furnaces. I got some dripstone lava generators set up with some cauldrons and I'm good to go.

Doesn’t this consume iron?

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
You smelt the fragments together with beeswax. Here is a new type of furnace to facilitate this. No other furnace will do it. The furnace is crafted with copper and nether ore ingots, and only uses pork chops for fuel, for some reason.

You got all the fragments together and crafted the furnace (neat texture, would make a cool ceiling if you could make heaps of them!) but it’s still not working?

Silly, you can’t use regular beeswax, only beeswax from a hive which all bees feed exclusively on cake will work for this.

Bees still prefer to feed from flowers, even though they can now feed on cake. So these bees must live in some hellish factory cakescape that you must build.

Wandering traders break the cake hell when they spawn there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

CaptainCaveman posted:

What I find fascinating about running a server like this is how well it tends to work because different people find different parts of the game fun. I mostly like building a little house and a farm and doing some mining for ores (... and then abusing my admin powers to drop skeletons and zombies on people...). But without fail, there will be somebody who logs on to build mob farms and share the resources, somebody who logs on and decides their project is to build a road or transport network connecting all the builds, somebody who gets obsessed with building a big amazing megastructure, somebody else who enjoys mining the resources that guy needs....

It's like one big amazing parallel play world.

Fact check: True.

I’m pretty sure I’m “obsessed with building a megastructure” here, but tbh I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a couple of us that fit the bill on unseeable. I should spend more time checking out what other people have been doing more often. And I work very slowly, so my ambition is that I can just plug away 5-8 hours a week. It’s wild to me to see how comparatively quickly other people are able to progress their builds! Really helps to have a mature, secure vibe fostered by a friendly admin.