Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Jamizzy99 posted:

I keep getting lost in my tunnel systems

Only put torches on the left hand walls, then follow with torches on the right to find the way out. That, or write down the coordinates of your home, and just tunnel out and walk overground following the coords back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Gorilla Salad posted:

The way to work water is to make an outline of the shape of your pond one block deep. Fill it up with water - make a 2x2 hole off to the side somewhere and empty two buckets of water into opposite corners of it. That will give you infinite water to work with.

When you have the pond all filled up, dig out the blocks under the water. That way you can make it as deep as you want without worrying about getting 'holes' in the water.

Doesn't this lead to the water under the surface to be downward flowing, rather than still? I'm sure it doesn't matter aesthetically when viewed from above, but it'd be annoying if you were in it.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Hexadecimal Gnome posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhz8FEwvq88

Violence detected at 00.50, I hope the guys remembered their gas masks

They also had the interview today with the Mojang documentary people, came home to find a man with a camera filming. Hopefully we'll see how that looks soon!

Not to derail, but what is with this trend for Youtube bloggers or whatever the gently caress to record five seconds of speech at a time and jump-cut everything together? It's disjointed and literally painful to watch. That ridiculous '<3' guy does it as well and it drives me insane.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Ghostlight posted:

It's because vloggers aren't professional or trained speakers so they gently caress up their lines all the time, if they've even planned out what they're going to say.

Okay, I probably didn't phrase it right. I know why they do it, I just don't get why it's considered acceptable. It's absolutely horrible to watch compared to something like Ashens, or even most LPs with live commentary. Considering most video bloggers try to do a weak version of stand up, it just falls apart. I'll try not to derail any further though

Actual Minecraft talk: What are some good/hilarious traps to set up for people in multiplayer servers? The server isn't running any mods save for a currency mod (hence why it's actually worth protecting and setting up traps!) and one of those homestead things that means attackers can't actively break/place blocks. I'm sure pistons have made all sorts of things possible with lava gates and stuff.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

On the other hand, good PR for Notch, bad PR for Bethesda. Bethesda's best damage control at this point is to work out a simple deal with Notch regarding some footnote that it has nothing to do with Elder Scrolls and then to take him up on the Quake match for fun.

E: gently caress me like 4 people all said the same thing at the same time.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Klyith posted:

The line between abuse and normal defense of trademarks can be really thin. You have things that are obviously abusive, like Monster Cables suing anyone they see using the word monster, even if it happens to be "Bob's Monster Bait Shop", or that guy who said he owned the word stealth. But in a lot of these cases, this one in particular, it only seems abusive if you're a fan of one of the parties or there is a big underdog component.

Playing Devil's advocate here, but this is less like an AV company suing a fishing shop and more like a car dealership called Deals On Wheels trying to sue another called Wheely Good Cars.

Fake edit: God I hate car analogies, I feel almost bad just having typed that.
Real edit: Don't ever let me run and name a car dealership.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Amppelix posted:

Oh gently caress yes notch

E: this pic also has

Gonna need river crocodiles in that

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

That said, I'm glad you accidentally posted that here because while I usually don't care for mods (and don't follow the mod thread because of it) that is awesome.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Not a Twat posted:

Are you the same person who came up with this interpretation of Minecraft before? Please never stop gifting us with your insight, it's fascinating.

Not to mention hilarious and the spergiest thing I've ever read about spergs. E: The previous essay on it, not the post you quoted.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

crazylakerfan posted:

Dude, seriously, turn up your brightness before you take screenshots at night.

They look fine to me. Well, daytime pictures are preferable, obviously, but it's not like it's impossible to see what's going on, unless you're not expanding the thumbnails or something?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

No, it was referring to the game itself. I've only seen green biomes so far, and then I saw that map and everything was completely green, so I just assumed that there was only default green. Maybe that map can only show green and I've just been unlucky in finding alternate colors.

Wait, grass can be different colours in different areas now? Since when?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Vinigre posted:

Since Oct. 31st, 2010.

Wait really? I've played a couple of times since he put pumpkins in and I've never noticed grass be anything but the green it's always been. Huh. Maybe I'm just not observant enough to notice it.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Am I the only one who wants some way to craft stronghold blocks? Those blocks are gorgeous, and while I can appreciate wanting to make it hard to get really nice aesthetic blocks, like mossy cobble from dungeons, the fact that there is actually a finite (and ridiculously rare) number of those blocks in any one game is kinda annoying.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Opentarget posted:

So I've made this two part piston bridge where each side of our moat has a section of pistons to complete the bridge. There is a lever on both sides of the bridge. My question is, in order to get both levers to open and close the bridge, what redstone contraption do I need to make? I've tried the wiki design for a two-way repeater without using actual repeaters and that doesn't give me the result I want.

Any ideas?

I don't know poo poo about redstone, but just talking about systems here, couldn't you have an AND gate to do the job? Lever 1 and 2 have to be on to have the bridge up, so when you get to either side of the bridge and want to turn it off, you flip one lever (leaving the other one on) and that doesn't give a signal through the AND gate. Coming back to it, flip the lever, and now both levers are on again.

E: This assumes that it's a single output powering the whole bridge.

Waldorf Sixpence fucked around with this message at Sep 19, 2011 around 01:41

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Devian666 posted:

As pseudorandom name said look up XOR logic. AND logic means that if it's off at the other side no matter what you do the bridge won't function.

e: I believe XAND would also work. One of XOR or XAND will be easier to implement.

It couldn't be off at the other side of the bridge, as it would need to be on to cross it in the first place. Unless you have some way of crossing without the bridge, the state of the lever you can't reach will always be on.

E: If this wouldn't work, I want to know why. My C in GCSE DT is worthless if I can't get this right But really, the lever you can't reach would HAVE to be on by design in order to move away from it.

Waldorf Sixpence fucked around with this message at Sep 19, 2011 around 02:22

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Cloaks? What are they? (In the context of Minecraft, obviously I am familiar with cloaks in general)

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Cabinet posted:

I presume they would say something along the lines of "WAHHH WHY CAN'T I HAVE MY OWN SPECIAL CAPE SO I CAN BE A UNIQUE SNOFLAKE!"

Make the cape DLC, rake in mad cash.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Zaa Boogie posted:

No need to worry if you have an alpha account! :sci101:

I was thinking that but then I thought "Do I really give a poo poo if I get an aesthetic attachment that I will never actually even see?" and the answer is no! I know 'all updates free forever' and all but I would fully support Notch charging people for capes if it means I get to see awesome MC forums drama.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Legs Benedict posted:

So it's probably because I'm an idiot but I can't seem to find any great tutorials or howtos on how to create a good indoor animal farm for food purposes. Would I be better off just spending the extra time to create a big, multi-level mob farm with lava? I just want some food.

Get lots and lots of chicken eggs, throw them into a pen to attempt to hatch more chickens. When you've got a fucktonne of chickens, you can murder them for tasty meat while still keeping some egg-layers around. Chickens can suffocate in opaque blocks though, so be sure to fence them in with actual fence posts so they don't push eachother into walls and die.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Insurrectum posted:

Courtesy of notch's twitter

I thought cauldrons had been taken out? I need to make this.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Tactical Grace posted:

Any word on whether he's going to make day/night toggleable in creative. Cause he totes should.

There was a really cool effect left in one of the recent patches where F5 and F6 would fast forward or reverse time. It loving OWNED and if there was a craftable item with limited time/uses that worked with that effect it would be amazing.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

mcsnitches posted:

new seed 'FudgeMcCudge'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gCYXNc3OPE

it has sexy results

Aside from the fact that this video doesn't use that seed, what's so special about it?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Polka_Rapper posted:

I cannot unsee the crashed AT-AT from The Empire Strikes Back before I open the full-size image.

I really thought that was what it was supposed to be as well, hah.

What's new in 1.9pre4?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Aspergite time!

Redstone question: I've been driving myself nuts with this for the last hour or so. I'm trying to make a set of pistons that will push up/down to raise and lower two blocks of sand, like so:

becomes

and then when the lever is turned off, the delay switches make everything come back down again in order. This works perfectly! However it's on ground level, and needs to be hidden underground, so I build:

(please ignore slightly bad screenshot, not sure what happened there). As you can see, this is the EXACT same layout, only underground. However, the lower piston does not activate at all, and the upper piston does. What's going wrong here?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Willie Trombone posted:

1,000,000 words about redstone

Thanks for all the info, shame it's a bug I'm kinda dense when it comes to this stuff, could you spell it out in layman's what needs to be done to get this sorted? Can I rearrange it slightly to make it work in this area, or change the delays perhaps?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Willie Trombone posted:

The second is to simply move the right-most repeater in your current design, the redstone in front of it, and the redstone behind it down one meter (this technically takes up more space, though).

I love you so much.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Kortel posted:

I have to ask.. what purpose does gold serve? The pickaxe makes Smooth stone and.. that is basically it? Really don't see a reason to ever use gold for anything. Vanilla version of the game.

Mining with a gold pick makes smooth stone?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Am I the only person who only uses stone picks unless the ore requires a higher tier? I hate 'wasting' iron or diamond for use in picks on plain stone.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Macaluso posted:

Iron is so unbelievably plentiful, that I'm pretty much guaranteed to never run out, even on a multiplayer server where everyone can mine out everything underground (and they do).

I usually only use my diamond for picks and swords as well, so I've got tons of iron reserved because diamond picks and swords take forever to run out.

I'd feel really bad using iron on picks because that means less rail pieces for my bitchin' rollercoaster

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Evil Orca posted:

It looks like the main gate to disneyland http://homepage.mac.com/juanwilson/...2disneyland.jpg

That's a tiny-rear end front gate. Come back when you've made this

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

waffle posted:

Wow, that headline is way more adversarial than the actual quote is. Though I really don't think Yogs did that much for Minecraft's success, as far as I've seen, only the minecraft forum people and us watch it, really. At least, I know a few groups of friends who all play Minecraft, and none of them know what Yogscast is except me (and I only do because of this thread)

According to the article, their channel gets 80million views a month and only 3million own Minecraft. I think it's more than just us and the MC forums watching it.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Vatek posted:

I don't know where you read that, but it's been announced for months now that the official release will coincide with Minecon and it runs from the 18th-19th.

Minecon was also going to be on the 11th until he changed the date. If you don't keep up with MC news it's pretty easy to think those details hadn't changed.

E: ^^^

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

So is 'Steve' the name they've given to the default skin or something?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Deadmau5 has been confirmed for Minecon

I guess this is actually a real big event then rather than just a tiny convention?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Wow Notch, you totally like, blew my mind man. What if life was just like, a videogame. Dude, I'm so high right now. - Jeb

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Wait, someone explain this whole nerd segregation thing; people paid to go to minecon where deadmau5 was playing, then they weren't allowed in if they looked too nerdy? At minecon?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Howmuch posted:

A guy presents 55 bugs in 3 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXO6tYkjYMc

I don't think "Ice melts in the nether" is a bug. The nether is HELL. You don't get ice in hell!

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Tardcore posted:

They wanted to add Optifine but the guy asked way too much money for his mod.

e;fb

Out of curiosity, do we have a value for 'way too much money'? Cause as we've seen over the past week or so, Notch is one tight-fisted bastard. Guy could have been asking for $100 for all I know.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Boat posted:

If the initial spawn is still always on sand, I don't think that's possible, seeing as the mushroom island biome is made entirely of mycelium.

Only followers of Libila will spawn on mycelium and get passive hunger regen from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Frogmarched posted:

Haha I think most of my posts in this thread has been crying over how extremely awful and loving bland biomes are now.

Would it be possible to get back an older version of minecraft? I wanna make a massive effort post showing comparisons between the two.

The .jar files are hosted here and there, not sure if it's as you'll still need to log in to play I imagine. You just replace the current .jar with whatever version you want to return to (though I reccomend backing everything up in case it all goes tits up when you do so).

«3 »