Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

How hard is it to switch a map from creative back to survival? I want to make awesome stuff and then host/play it as a survival map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I asked before but I dont think it got a response. Is there an easy way to change a map between creative and survival modes? I looked around ingame but I may have missed it.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Hadlock posted:

AFAIK, you only specifically have 64 bit if you manually downloaded it using IE 64 bit or similar method.

This is true unless it changed recently.

The java site won't serve you the 64 bit version unless you to there in 64 bit IE. No other browser works.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I just want lanterns. Tired of only having torches or full block sized glowstone to use as lights. I don't care what else he adds as long as he adds lanterns. Especially if they can be hung.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Anyone know a seed for a map with a large ocean but a medium sized island in the middle of it? Something with more than a handful of trees, at least one hill and large enough to fit a little town while still leaving some room.

I'll even take one that is close-ish to a continent as long as it's not connected.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Toady posted:

They're already useless since snowballs do no damage.

If they are easy/cheap to craft then you could scatter a few around your towns and they will attract the spiders if you hate to build spiderproof walls/rooftops because they are ugly. That is something at least. Sure they die but if they are easily replaced then that's fine.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Ore that makes anything you make out of it be all fiery would make the nether a lot more popular.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Macaluso posted:

So some people were saying you'd have to start a new map again come 9.5? Is that true or what? We are pretty settled on our server now, I don't know if my friends would want to move yet again (neither do I really)

They are changing the map generation again when they fix the broken biomes so maybe.

e: Well you don't have to but any new chunks would have cliffs where the edge was.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 22, 2011

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

If Blockage Runner can eventually sim a space station as well as SS13 but in 3D plus all of that cruising around to gather resources then I am probably going to get fired.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Terrain generation seems untouched. It's just biome placement that is changed.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

Seems hugely different to me. My island standby, suavebaby, now puts me in a dense taiga.

Oceans are generated as biomes (so are rivers too I think) so some maps will find massive biomes where oceans used to be in 1.8.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

simosimo posted:

Nice.

I keep getting 'Minecraft has run out of memory' with the Sphax pack which is a real shame as the pack is absolutely beautiful.

What's more annoying is I have 6gb of gerdamn ram!

Are you using 32 bit java?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

SeXReX posted:

I headed off to try out 1.9 and ended up stumbling on something bigger than all of this update nonsense.

"This is a good seed"

The seed does not lie.

That lake looking thing near the middle of the island is actually this waterfall.

Which just keeps on falling down a perfectly placed raven which houses a Skeleton dungeon and not much else.

Along the southern ridge there's a cave that drops down a mineshaft to a smallish mine that, in my world at least, was already on fire from all the lava around

It's perfect.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

It's pretty neat that it all seems to be on the same map too. I haven't been there lately but there is a server that hosts a slightly lagged version with no building privileges so you can explore it for yourself.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I tried the prerelease earlier tonight to see some seeds and hoo boy it sure does run like rear end. In normal minecraft I get over 100fps and in this I get 40-70 depending on if I am generating new chunks or what is going on. How is that even possible, what changed exactly?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I never did understand why they hired one of the best pixel artists out there only to put him to work on a different game and not you know... minecraft. At the very least they could have him make an official alternate pack.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I tried sphax totally at random since my usual texture pack is no longer supported for post 1.8 and now I can't imagine using anything else. It just looks so good. Somehow it also feels like it matches the gameplay which is a quality I can't exactly quantify, it just feels that way to me.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I have a minimap mod that is supposed to show you exactly where slimes spawn but it seems to never work.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Lawyers have to do something every now and then or you forget why you keep them on retainer.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

At a glance I think you could make the monorail reuse the same set of repeaters over a distance so yeah, could make it much simpler.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I noticed that when you put pistons facing down you can lay redstone right next to it and it'll work, they don't even have to face directly to it.

I wish redstone always worked this way.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Could do things like special weapons/tools that look the same (maybe an effect overlay on top of them?) but have different properties. That's a pretty big deal since we're no longer bound by that silly sprite sheet for a maximum number of items, just the maximum number of "base" items.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

MikeJF posted:

I'm really not. It seems that with this and with the particular hunger implementation they've been moving down a road of forcing users to play with a certain specific playstyle, reducing the viability of alternative ways of coming at Minecraft.

How exactly? XP isn't used for anything else.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Even when not playing on peaceful, I rarely get any XP. I play the avoidance game. Beds and tunnels.

What stops you from continuing to do that? You're not forced to attack every monster you see just because the XP is going to be used to craft something new.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

MikeJF posted:

No, but if I don't play the standard way a relatively unrelated segment of the game will be mostly off-limits for me.

So only gather XP when you want to craft something magic.

You're not forced to do it all the time. Just like you're not forced to mine redstone all the time just because it makes wires.

I just don't get it I guess. You are complaining about a new way to gather something for a new type of crafting in a game where half the gameplay is gathering and crafting. If they were linking XP to something that was already in the game previously then maybe it would make sense to me.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Now that we have oceans I want those 6x6 wooden rafts you can build on that notch talked about a long time ago. :saddowns:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Pretty sure they had to change all those sound because Notch grabbed them off of those FREE SOUND EFFECT WAV FILES websites. I remember stumbling across a lot of sounds from minecraft while looking for placeholders for something I was working on.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

First thing I enchanted was a diamond sword. It got sharpness I and knockback I. Thought that was neat.

Second thing I enchanted was a diamond pick. It got efficiency I and unbreakable. :woop:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

This is the pick, I basically went in blind so I don't know exactly what it means and took it at face value that I now had an unbreakable pick.

Tried it on mobs and it seems to take a bunch of durability like a normal pick, then I went and chewed through a ton of stone and didn't see the durability budge noticeably. Could have gotten lucky if it's % based though.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Lot of backlash against them doing pony stuff in a video which I find weird. Who gives a poo poo if someone likes a kids show? Where is the frothing hate for grown men who like pokemon?

Though I agree as far as tv show fans go the pony fans are up there among the most insufferable. Who would seriously call themselves a "brony" and not realize how retarded that sounds? I just don't see why it causes so much extra backlash when it's just like all the other older fans of kids shows.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 27, 2011

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Mobs won't spawn on stairs or halfblocks so you can make large places they wont spawn by using those and glowstone makes good recessed lighting or lamp posts.

Can be pretty time consuming to do that in survival though.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Don't talk poo poo until you've killed the dragon without armor and using only your mighty fist.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Crackpipe posted:

I just want something to fill the endless empty factories and high rises I keep building.

All of my maps eventually turn into Dubai.

I build, and build and build, only to realize that there's no reason for me to go back to any of these buildings.

This is why I think I do more building for fun in Terraria than Minecraft now.

In Terraria my buildings are packed wall to wall with stuff. Each NPC lives in a fully furnished house with bathroom, livingroom, bedroom, closet, attic and basement. You can do castles with gold decked ballrooms with chandeliers and so on. I still haven't used all the decorations available to me in the world I have been running for weeks.

In minecraft outside of my main crafting area I can do a bedroom, storage rooms, maybe a fancy looking forge with lava and then... what? Most rooms go empty because there just isn't stuff to put there. We have paintings but for a lot of reasons those kind of suck, they look different to everyone so if you use a texture pack which turns them into a door or whatever you get people wondering why you have walls covered in creeper faces. To build anything articulate out of the blocks it has to be super huge which makes it tough if I want to do something like an indoor statue.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I've always thought that if DF had a truly graphical interface and some sort of mouse controlled context menu then it would probably eclipse all other indie games. Everything else people can figure out on their own if given the chance but that UI and controls really throws players off. The only players who stick with it are those willing to deal with learning a complicated interface on top of complicated mechanics. If it could get rid of one of those it would be so much more accessible.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Lately I have this problem when using a higher res texture pack with mc patcher where random blocks have the texture stretched off the edge of the tile with random other textures on top of it.

I googled a bit but couldn't find anyone else with a similar issue. Tried deleting the bin folder, forcing an update, fiddling with the patcher settings but no luck so far. Anyone know a what is causing it? I narrowed it down to something with the patcher maybe as it looks fine if I play unpatched with a higher res pack just with the normal graphical problem from doing that.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

meatsaw posted:

Anyway, I wonder if they don't abandon these things when they see the modders filling in the blanks they've left.

Notch said as much I think. Something like he feels a lack of motivation to do updates when he sees modders making a bunch of new features for the game.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Jamesman posted:

They're giving zombies and skeletons more annoying AI while the player has no real advancements in dealing with enemies or avoiding them. I don't really see anything improved or better about that.

You can enchant your stuff!

:downs:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Jesto posted:

Sorry, I haven't checked up on Minecraft for a while, but from skimming the past few pages I see that Notch has had the community provide translations for his game out of the kindness of their hearts?

Which is to say, they're doing work for him and he isn't paying them a cent? :psyduck:

Does he have some allergic reaction to giving away any of his money? No one entertaining at Minecon was given any payment or even travel compensation either. It seems strange to rely on your community when you're no longer a struggling indie game, but have your own convention, a game that sells for $30, more millions than you know what to do with and Lego offering to make a set based around your game.

In the past 24 hours 9,003 people have bought the game. $270,090 in 24 hours. Which means, assuming today isn't special and that's the average daily registration number, $2.7 million in 10 days. Which means in a year, $98,582,850? :stare:

Oh god. So much money. I'm doing the math wrong, aren't I? Or that daily number is going to drop down to one or two hundred in a couple weeks, right?

He seems to avoid paying anyone money as much as possible while also spending a lot on himself. The money he pays the developers he hires is apparently laughably low and not up for negotiation. Also the whole refusal to pay anyone anything for minecon while also charging for admittance.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Why does the most successful independent game in the history of gaming have one lone dude working on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

He's making a minecraft clone of some kind. Not sure I picked up why, maybe to prove how easy it is to make the same sort of game perform better?