Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

SIr_Lienad posted:

Looks like Notch is planning on multiple hit boxes for mobs.

https://twitter.com/!/notch/statuses/123724207661137920

This can only go well.

That should be interesting considering just one hitbox barely works as it is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

How long before Notch breaks down and tweets that he's added a new feature. I give it 48 hours tops.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Minecraft checks to see if your sounds are altered and if so downloads & replaces them at startup. The changed sounds are for 1.0.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

well I'm sure you could change the code to remove that line pretty easily if you know how.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Rurik posted:

This is actually why I have never played for more than an hour despite that I've launched Minecraft several times. Yes, it's a great procedural world creator and simulator, Notch. Now could you please add something that would make my actions have any significance whatsoever?

I keep returning to Minecraft for its huge potential and always turned down because of the lack of its fulfillment.

<--

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Spectral Werewolf posted:

So I'm trying to make a switch toggle some blocks like so:

But because of improper timing, I get this:

Anyone have a solution for where the extended piston always retracts first?

This works:

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

blastron posted:

Is the minecart actually necessary for the timing circuit, or is it just there to show that Minecraft circuits make no loving sense?

Well, I'm sure there's other ways to do it without a minecart, but this works and it's not too too complex. And yeah it's necessary here if that's what you're asking. If you put the lever one way it goes right to left, then when you toggle it again it goes left to right, so things are triggered in different orders.

Of course if the 1 repeater thing works, he should use that, but I don't see how it does.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

fixed

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Elysiume posted:

The rain sound effect singlehandedly makes me play the game muted. Out building, when SSHSHHHHH SHSHHHH HSSHSHHH HSHSHHHH.

You can turn off fancy graphics and it doesn't play the rain sound.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Jamesman posted:

Levers. One inside the house and one outside. Buttons have too short a window and pressure plates can be activated by mobs.

So I'd basically need a circular redstone circuit which connects both levers to both doors, triggering opposite effects to each door?

mobs don't trigger stone pressure plates. Easiest way to do double doors is with this tutorial (in the OP)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzuplCco8Dg

yeah, guess you're right, never mind.
\/\/\/\/

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at Dec 28, 2011 around 14:37

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

nippon nifties posted:

They aren't the only ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv-FORwG2oo#t=60s

zombies have no rhythm.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Disappointing Pie posted:

And that guy who made Cube World has decided he likes being independent and chose not to join Mojang. There's some irony here somewhere.

I think I know how this went...

Notch: Do you want to work here at Mojang?
Guy: Sure!
Notch: You'll be working with me on Scrolls!
Guy: Actually, I really like being independent.

e: or they finally realized the guy doesn't code Java.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

No kidding; I wish to christ they had a dedicated sound designer. Don't they just farm that out to C418 or whatever his name is?

The opening chest sound is the worst sound imaginable. I don't know how the hell he gets "chest opening" out of whatever that sound is. It's like he googled "chest.wav" and used the first result he found without ever listening to it. Or he couldn't find a chest sound so he fired up windows sound recorder at the lowest quality setting and tried to create the sound effect with his mouth like Michael Winslow. And I think it single-handedly has given me dozens of migraines. Especially when you play a team PVP version of the game where people are constantly going through a dozen chests every time they die to restock their inventory.

And they really need to add a sound effect for sword swinging, and dozens of other things like that. They should stop adding features that barely make the game better and actually polish the game. Do things like adding death animations to players. The actual combat in the game is really ungratifying because of how glitchy it is.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Jamesman posted:

I noticed this too, but I wasn't sure if walking through wheat fields would still cause you to kick up the seeds and wheat, so I've still been sneaking through my farm.

So, I need help with my redstone circut for a piston door. I'm trying to set it up so that it can be opened by buttons on each side of the door. I've gotten the first side done.

This very skillfully done blueprint shows the top view of a two-blocks-deep setup. Push the button, and it powers the redstone wire/repeater. The torch is attached to the side of the block with the last redstone wire, and sends power to both pistons, keeping them extended, but the torch depowers when the button is pressed.

Now, the walls on the left and right are non-negotiable, so I'm working in a width of 1-2 blocks, and I want to get the second button on the outside of the wall on the left.

Help.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Jamesman posted:

Sticks out too far. That's 3 blocks wide.

It's the same size as your diagram.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Is anyone else not looking forward to better monster AI? They're already just a huge annoyance. If they're smarter, they should be made to require less damage too, but I doubt they'll do that.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

I think if a mod api is ever released, the game could take on a whole new life. The game play now just sucks. But I think it could be like the way Half-Life was where it's a decent game but even better as a base for mods.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

CaptainCaveman posted:

I know you can't make an infinite lava spring like you can with water, but is there any way at all to farm lava? I want to make some stuff with obsidian, figured it'd be easier to make molds and build it that way (rather than mining the Obsidian), but I'm not sure of the best way to get lots of lava. Just repeated trips to the Nether?

You can use this trick to make obsidian with redstone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5IgiQhvv5A

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Asimo posted:

Really, it was dumb of notch to finally kick the price up to $30. $20 is really sort of the limit of "impulse buy" for a lot of people, and minecraft was rather perfectly targetted there. Raising it that high has cut off a bit of the potential long tail the game had, with people even less willing to invest in a larger entry fee with the game in questionable hands.

Granted it's far from the only dumb thing notch has done, but you know.

Especially considering the beta version of the game is better than the official release.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

I've seen decent looking palm trees made with fences for the trunk.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

$30

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

SirDan3k posted:

But then somebody might not receive the full glory of the end text crawl.

I think the end text is more enjoyable if you don't understand English.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Willie Trombone posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say that the reason they added in the moon phases like they did was so that they could eventually add mob seiges on full moons, but then couldn't get them to work with the mobs' crappy AI, hence the real reason they had to finally break down and hire an AI guy. There has been talk of huge enemies or even swarms showing up rarely since at least around the time slimes were added, so with that one guy working on zombie seiges, I wouldn't be surprised if giant enemies also got into the mix eventually.

Actually someone tweeted Notch saying "The moon doesn't have phases!" and he said "I'll fix that!".

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Daztek posted:

Memory issue mostly, if you'd make the cubes 10 times smaller, you'd need 10 times the RAM.

1000 times

And processing power etc.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

redmercer posted:

Would it be very hard to put the center of gravity in the middle of that? (I have the coding ability of a dead snail and have literally hosed up Hello World! in more than one language)

The problem would be at the "corners" of the world the blocks would be on a diagonal. So if you went to place a block on the ground it would be at a 45 degree angle. I don't think there's any way to make a spherical world if it's made out of blocks without a lot of weirdness.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Now he just needs to make it so you can place 2 different slabs on top of each other.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

That hey0/bukkit story sounds really 1 sided. So why didn't hey0 just keep working on hmod himself? Were the bukkit people holding a gun to his head? People probably wouldn't have switched to bukkit if he did.

And If all those guys stopped working with him, there was probably a good reason for it. I was under the impression it was because hey0 didn't want to work on the mod anymore. But maybe he had communication issues or other management issues, considering the team supposedly abandoned him at the drop of a hat?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

or lightning.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Huh? They always had a collision mask except for one short-lived update. It might've even been a pre-release feature that never made it to the official updates.

It was in 1.1. It was in there for a month and a half unless you were using the test releases. Gotta go back to using water for quick drops.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

the deobfuscated code

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Hadlock posted:

One member on our server built a 1 day clock out of repeaters (which promptly killed redstone until the next reboot) that would play a chime at morning noon and night, and also activate pistons to push glowstone up out of the earth.

I wish there was a way to designate permanently active chunks, so you could designate a 1-day cart track loop to trigger various things and then run "redstone utilities" throughout the main part of a city. When you walked in to an inactive chunk, the redstone would activate from the main line and initiate some sort of automation. Right now we're just stuck with door chimes, etc.

and/or some sort of basic light sensor block. I would settle for that.

There's permanently active chunks on the Keepcraft server. Not sure if that's a bukkit plugin or something coded for the server though.

Also dispensers work best for long term clocks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQSFlF5OFNo

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

so he has an issue with his job, best thing to do: start a bunch of drama about the company on the internet! Maybe he should talk to his superiors instead? Only thing he's doing is showing they were right to get rid of him.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Nenonen posted:

It's so amazing watching three of them building nether portals, none of them seriously considering beforehand the possibility of someone getting there first and ruining all possibilities of safe return to your place of origin (a 2km x 2km map giving a fairly small likelihood of having more than one Nether side portal).

Also, Etho's faith on flint and steel against a player was pretty drat hilarious when it didn't even stop a zombie from giving him some serious hurt...

He had a bucket of lava in his toolbar too. If he put that down instead of using the lighter, other guy would've been stuck in the lava and taken a lot more damage.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Ultra Hardcore, to me, seems like it could be easily fixable if the players just, y'know, actively sought each other out. Sure, sitting around just surviving is boring, but that doesn't really seem like what you're "supposed" to do anyway. It's about eliminating the competition, and despite being based on who survives the longest, everyone loves a little conflict between players to keep things interesting.

You'd need to make it beneficial to PVP in the rules of the game. Maybe a game where the first person who kills every other person at least once wins.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Disappointing Pie posted:

It also seems to me, I'm not a programmer that if they converted the SP to behave like a localhost MP (like they keep saying they are going to do) it would help streamline so many issues. Instead of having essentially two different versions of code for everything you do you'd have one and things like mob glitches and world gen issues in MP would have to be fixed because they'd occur in the SP also.

a lot of the MP bugs are due to lag, so they'll probably still be in there.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

R.L. Stine posted:

No track record???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYPgMJODdcI

Uh, hellooooo

pretty sure you can make this in like 3 minutes with Unity

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

just keep scrolling posted:

I'm wondering about the supposed change since 1.0 that breaks monster spawn towers. Forgive me if it's common knowledge here. I see some unsourced rumors on the Wiki about mobs freezing if they're 32 blocks away, but not much else. If true, that would indeed totally render most of any mob tower useless -- besides a narrow 8 block strip away from the player where mobs can both spawn and move.

Has anyone in here observed any actual evidence of mobs staying in place when far away?

If so, how does it work? The Wiki fails to mention how the distance measure is taken. If it's just a plain "is x > 32 or y > 32", that would dictate mob towers shaped like 8-blocks-thin lines. On the other hand, if it's taken on x and y dimensions only (like a lot of things, since many calculations are done chunk by chunk) then that would dictate a mob tower shaped like a thin cylindric shell. Or if it's taken on all three dimensions, that would dictate towers shaped like pieces of thin spherical shells or domes, and those would be tough to build right without software tools if one wants to exactly hit the 8 block range.

If it's true, does anyone know which of those three things it is? I want to build this mob tower that I've started but I can't until I know what shape to make it in the current game version.

Pretty sure it's spherical distance.

I came up with this design for a mob farm and it worked well:

Someone on the minecraft forums said you can also make a minecart track go around the mob farm and constantly go around it so you're always close to all areas. I tried that and it didn't really work for me though.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

IUG posted:

Someone please add this to the OP of this topic. Every time I want to download a new texture pack I have to disable my ad blocker, a control panel, enable cookies, wait for the equinox, and then hope I got through that adfly mess.

added it.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Is there any way to get jeb to work on sprinting so it's not glitchy as hell? It's especially bad in PVP when you try to run and it doesn't work until the third time you double tap. Or you are running and turn a little and suddenly you can only run half as fast unless you stop and start running again. Or when you start to run and it keeps switching back and forth between running and walking and it's like you're having a seizure. I have no clue how he could mess the code up for that so bad. Never mind the fact that making you have to double tap to run is a horrible implementation of running. You should just have to hit the shift key or another button altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

nippon nifties posted:

Holy poo poo no one's making you watch them. No one's propping your eyes open Clockwork Orange-style and blasting you with twelve 30 minute videos until you're free to post about Minecraft again. What is wrong with you people that a post every couple of days compiling new Minecraft video links is enough to make you poo poo your pants and demand that it gets removed from your sight instantly and shunned into a separate thread ?? Yeah he went overboard with the spoilers and the headings maybe but he's admitted it and is toning it down.

I just cannot understand all this hate. Jesus Cr*sto
But it interrupts our fresh discussion of the ending being bad and Notch being a bad coder.