Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

OwlFancier posted:

Well, it kind of is about money if that's the reason not to hand over the business. It would be quite feasible to work out an arrangement to tithe a portion of the game's profit to him for X years in return for allowing the people who still want to work on the game to retain creative control.
Because he doesn't want to do an arrangement like that, and he obviously doesn't care about creative control over Minecraft. The game is already largely out of his hands thanks to the modding community and people jumping down his throat over every decision made with the game or parents complaining to him because their kids used their credit card to buy a $1000 premium account on a server somewhere. He's probably just fed up with everything and wants to cut ties and move on to something else in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

an actual twitter conversation...

quote:

nemo2501: So you sold it to MS?! You could have just left without selling it ...

notch: Then I would've still be responsible for it.

nemo2501: Whatever. It's too late. You sold a children's darling to MS to be exploited and used as a weapon. Well, congrats. Now you are responsible ... forever ... for selling it to MS. Mind as well have sold it to the ISIS.

https://twitter.com/notch/status/511607714145783809

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

I'd bet he hooks them up with a bonus of some kind after everything's finalized. And who's to say these people are his friends, he hired a bunch of them from the modding community, they might be a bunch of assholes.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

The one thing I question is how it seems like he did this on a whim. "2 weeks ago some people were mad at me on the internet and I watched a youtube video so I sold my 2 billion dollar company." He should at least pretend it was a difficult decision that he struggled to make since it affects so many people's lives and stuff.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I'm sure he actually just randomly decided this and surprised his staff and cackled as they wept, or whatever the current bitchfest is here.

No one is even bitching or all that upset here so you can crawl back in your hole. I support him selling it 100% whatever happens with the game.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

flatluigi posted:

Did you read any of the thread because you apparently missed a good two thirds of the posts in the last thirty pages

people have been pretty reasonable and even keeled. Just pointing out that Notch is weird and probably a hypocrite isn't bitching, it's just discussion. The few people who were talking about suing Microsoft because they paid for the alpha version were kind of weird, but everyone else has been fine.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

KakerMix posted:

But Google, Facebook, Apple and Microsoft's employees didn't get screwed out of a buy-out windfall like Mojang did? Specifically Google is the model we've brought up already, everyone at Google owned stock before they went public and made lots of money when they did. Facebook too. Apple and Microsoft are super old comparatively but I imagine that's what Wozniak is currently spending on Apple things. It's the way startups operate, everyone gets filthy loving rich when they all collectively sell out. Notch didn't do it this way, and instead kept a vast majority of it and complained about his poor life choices when it came to connecting with people. I'm going to call him an rear end in a top hat for that.

So because notch didn't give away hundreds of millions of dollars to the people he hired off the street for no discernible reason he's a selfish rear end in a top hat. Any other insane opinions of yours you want to share with us?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

WE DONT EVEN KNOW THAT HES NOT GIVING THEM ANYTHING FOR FUCKS SAKE

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Lets try to settle the abortion argument now. Minecrafters, when does life begin?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

For me, it isn't even about "deserving" part of the buy out money, since that is a word a lot of people get hung up on. It is more that, he could cut them some checks for a tiny percentage of the money for no other reason than simply saying "I'm sorry I can't do this anymore, and I don't know what MS will do when I am gone, so take this bonus as a token of gratitude and as personal apology from me" and he would come out looking like an angel in the end, doing right by people he employed, even when he wasn't going to be employing them any longer, not because he legally had to, but simply because he could.

Can you not understand that he still could do this? Was he supposed to conjure 30 bonus checks out of his rear end in a top hat and hand them out as soon as he signed the deal? I'd bet anything he'll give a bonus to them sometime soon, possibly with their next paycheck.

And I just found this article from 2 years ago about the greedy moneygrubbing Notch who hates his employees:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/02/markus-notch-persson-gives-3-million_n_1317396.html

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

I used to have a PVP server and would log when people mined diamonds to look for cheaters. Half the time when someone was mining a bunch of diamonds all at once it would turn out to be them running around caves and mining all the visible diamonds. The other half it would be someone Xraying. People who just mined normally got them a lot slower. I had monsters turned off though so that skewed things a little.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

reminds me of this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRZ2Sh5-XuM

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

I don't see Microsoft ever implementing mod support in the way people want, or in any way really. Too much liability. Although maybe that wasn't going to happen anyway.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

xzzy posted:

Microsoft actually has a relatively liberal policy regarding mods and let's play videos. As long as you're not hacking their servers, violating any code copyrights, or cheating in multiplayer it's pretty much anything goes.

Actual support for mods via an API may be harder to predict, it's not unprecedented but it doesn't always happen.
Do any of their games support mods as in programmed mods, not just skins or sound packs? I'm not familiar with any of their games so I don't know.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Enzer posted:

That is a misleading article title if I've ever seen one.

So not ruling it out, but no immediate plans and even admitting that such a thing might not make sense.

Also, interesting:

Wondering if "Mojang is still in control of the series" is because the deal isn't closed or if that is a stipulation of the deal. If it is the later then Mojang could potentially go "gently caress no" to a sequel.

Also, Phil seems crazy (or maybe hasn't actually looked into the game in question) if he thinks he can unify the various versions.

Also, confirmation that the movie, being made with Warner Bros, wont be out till possibly 2017-2018.
it's CLEARLY because the deal isn't final, it's hilarious you would even consider that other possibility exists. And yes it is easy to unify all the versions. Just ditch the java version and port the xbox version to PC, which would be hilarious.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The best analogy I got for this came from a professor; he said a program is kind of like a pair of pants. Over time the pants wear out. The more you do with them the worse they get. You patch parts of it because you like the pants but eventually they quit resembling the original pants. Give it long enough and the patchwork mess that was once your favorite pair of pants just needs to be replaced with new pants. Give it long enough and Minecraft won't be maintainable anymore. It happens to every program.

It sounds more like your professor was a terrible programmer. I do think there will be another version of Minecraft within a few years but it might not be called Minecraft 2.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 25, 2014

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Just get rid of mods and everything would be fixed. The mod community isn't as big or important as you think. The players who obsessively post online about the game aren't representative of the entire userbase who are mostly 10 year old kids. And a large majority of the users who do use mods would just upgrade as usual and forget about them. Throw in a feature or two they want like name changes and they will be happy. I'm not saying it will happen but I do think it's an option they are considering.

And Mojang probably isn't going to exist anymore. They want the Minecraft name tied to Microsoft, not Mojang. The current Mojang workers will be assimilated into Microsoft if they are willing and able or let go.

edit: to be clear, I don't want them to get rid of mods.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 25, 2014

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

4) Most efficient way to get flint? (Note: not yet to the point where I care to gently caress around with redstone machines and the like) I have a ton of feathers from keeping chickens, flint is the usually the limiting factor when I make arrows.
get gravel, make a nerdpole, destroy it, repeat.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Cheez posted:

This is entirely stupid and bad, though. How can you even do this unless all you're doing is making up some random story centered around the handful of minecraft monsters, world stuff, items and make it look like cubes and poo poo? There's absolutely no point in making a game like this unless it's to exploit little kids and other kinds of people who don't think about Minecraft on a deeper level than "is this awesome thing I like" because there's nothing to Minecraft that suggests a story-based game could work. Minecraft can be summed up as "You exist, there's monsters, everything is blocky and/or cubes, and you make stuff."

Tobaccrow posted:

A Lego movie? That's STUPID!

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

My cows still escape their pen every time I leave and come back. :negative: How many patches is this going to continue for? I have never had this problem elsewhere. I am going to try ONE more thing to see if it fixes it.

Edit: I have been so numbed by the bad inventory management on these videos that Seth's video didn't even get a reaction out of me.

Just a theory but maybe try putting the pen all in one chunk. Including the walls I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

Does anyone know what the most reliable clock is for vanilla minecraft multiplayer? I notice a lot of my clocks seem to randomly stop...

I haven't messed with redstone in ages but I used to use a minecart in a loop for a clock and they basically never stop.