Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The OP looks great huge improvement over the old one. Does the new thread mean we're days away from 1.8?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've been having intermittent problems logging in over the past few days. With the rollout of 1.8 and 2.0 it wouldn't suprise me that login problems are stemming from back end upgrades/testing; I suspect they're beefing up their systems in anticipation of a huge surge of users who haven't played in ages. Practically everyone I've talked to says "yeah those endermen look neat; I'll probably try it out again when 1.8 finally arrives".

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

if you are getting surface currents then you need to place a block underneath the offending water block, then remove it

Hadlock fucked around with this message at Aug 11, 2011 around 14:29

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So Woofington said that this will work to fix the 64 bit java/steam problem

that all goes in your target field:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -Xmx512M -Xms512M -cp "C:\Users\usrname\Downloads\minecraft.jar" net.minecraft.LauncherFrame

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fiblah posted:

So I want to try joining some multiplayer servers, what's the best goon one to join? I joined Penislandia and was flying around for about an hour and didn't see a single person, its so big..

Knifeback Mountain is a well organized server with great transportation and a medium sized active community. Recently we've had about 6 new players and they seem to be clustering in the NE region of the map, so there's quite a bit of activity in that area. Swing through the steam group or post in the thread to be added to the whitelist

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3391580

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Any word yet on if the android version allows cross compatibility with, uh, "PC Servers"?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FidgetyRat posted:

Well it has been the case that 90% of Mojang's time is spent working on, or thinking up new food for Minecraft.

Minecraft 1.8: You could have had the Adventure Update a Month Ago, but it was delayed on account of Steak

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

edit: this is a pretty drastic change in worldgen code; does anyone know if this will be compatible with existing maps? I'd love to have real oceans and continents added to the fringes of our existing map, without having to start all over.

Amppelix posted:

Oh gently caress yes notch

E: this pic also has

This reminds me a bit of machu pichu, where the river winds around the mountain exactly like that (panorama here, nearly the same angle http://imgur.com/5VXhx)

Is all of that water at Y: 63/64? This just looks like a watery ravine (not that I mind).

If the scale of those islands/deep oceans are correct, it looks like we'll finally be getting proper island continents ala FF 6 style?

vs

Hadlock fucked around with this message at Aug 18, 2011 around 19:19

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So I just now found out about Zan Mini Map from the 2b2t.net thread. Would this qualify as a utility to put in the OP? I've only played around with it for a few minutes, but in addition to having an overworld map, it allows you to set waypoints and then toggle them on and off. Perhaps most important, it allows you to move your X/Y/Z coordinates to the upper right corner so you don't have to walk around with F3 enabled all of the time.

..or am I just really late to the party?

I'm not a big fan of installing mods, but this seems to work flawlessly on SMP servers

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...-aether-blocks/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Well if Notch's recent picture is anything to go by, oceans appear to be really big now. So boats and ports might actually have a use now.

Agreed. The problem with minecraft SMP servers is that generally there is "spawn town" which is the group of buildings the first 7 or 8 people who sign on to the server build (who then lose interest before the die-hards log in weeks or months later) and then there is the second city built a couple hundred blocks from spawn because someone said "hey this looks like a good spot because it is relatively flat" and for no other reason.

Which totally flies in the face of real reasons why someone would choose a location to build a city (protected port city (San Francisco, London, Miami, LA, New York City, Barcelona, Rio de Janeiro, Baltimore), good farmland (Kansas City, Orlando, Mexico City, Albany), crossroads between various port cities and farming communities (Dallas, St. Louis, New Orleans). Nobody cared about building on a port in minecraft because there are so few bodies of water big enough that you can't see the shore from where you're standing, and protected coves are so drat small. You're lucky if you can fit 5 or 10 boats in most "harbors" on a typical map. Terrain has always been really flat and farming was never something most people did besides for getting the achievement.

So here's hoping those islands are huge and they tweak some of their code to generate some excellent natural harbors. Cities should pop up more naturally on SMP servers if the geography is at all reflective of the real world.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

trandorian posted:

You'll never ...
Maybe if Notch ever adds some kind of automatic route following boat that has a storage chest inside it so you can have waterborne commerce....

And pirates!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

tinaun posted:

Powered rails do not give much of an extra boost with long sections. Placing one every 20 or so rails gives the best constant speed. So yes, there is no benefit to long chains of boosters.

You can maintain 8 meters per second with spacing of 50. I've done this for kilometers on the knifeback mountain server with no problems at all. Generally I start off with a double booster to get up to full speed immediately.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Notch said that it would be playable at PAX, but that they would use the feedback from PAX to tweak it and do some final bug test fixes before officially releasing it "about a week" after the convention.

Considering that Seattle and Sweden are 12 hrs apart, a full day for travel back to Sweden the following monday, plus another 1-2 for jet lag only gives them 5 days for tweaks. Somewhere between Sept 5th-Sept 9th at the earliest seems plausible for a 1.8 release date.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looks like the Adventure Update (i.e. 1.8)is going to have a live demo today around

3:30pm PST / 5:30pm CST / 11:30pm(?) GMT

http://mojang.com/2011/08/25/pax-2011-schedule/

1.8 public release date as of yet unannounced

edit: fixed times (maybe)

Hadlock fucked around with this message at Aug 26, 2011 around 13:41

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Whoops, it should be 5:30pm CST. Which should be 11:30pm GMT and 12:30am CET.

PST is -8, MST is -7 and CST is -6. GMT is +0 and CET is +1 I think?

I'm sort of surprised there isn't a [GMT]12:00[/GMT] conversion BBcode tag yet.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's some good gameplay video here starting at about 3:35. Around 2:25 he's flying.

At the 3:40 mark he's already inside of an abandoned NPC village "they're coming - they just haven't gotten here yet" Notch says maybe he's talking about the reporters?

http://www.justin.tv/fdoke/b/293539704

The new lighting code looks lightyears ahead ahead (6:00) with a new nighttime skybox

Dashing @ 7:45

Giant ocean biome code + flight @ 12:20

Dungeon + giant mineshaft @ 13:40

19:00 chicken stuff + onions

20:30 "right now what does xp do?" notch:"right now?... uh xp does nothing"

22:00 River walk

Hadlock fucked around with this message at Aug 26, 2011 around 22:06

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Let me preface this by saying I'm not trying to poo poo on Mojang's hard work. Minecraft is a brilliant game with a lot of blood, sweat and tears poured in to it.

That said,

The 1.8 update seems rather lackluster. Granted: they have probably rewritten enormous chunks of code in terms of terrain generation and the entire lighting model looks impressively difference. These were much needed changes that had to be made for the final product.

I feel like the 1.8 update, in terms of new features, is pretty minor. I was expecting actual NPCs to populate the villages, a new (or completely overhauled) farming and food system, a complete overhaul of the combat system, and perhaps some new fantasy element (magic? potions? crafting enhanced weapons?).

Perhaps I misread (or read too much) in to this update, but my understanding was that 1.8 was going to be the "feature complete" version, with a few tweaks and additions between now and release in November. Apparently NPCs weren't ready and were pulled from the 1.8 update. That's disappointing, because Notch had said that they had a lot more breathing room on this update to get everything ready.

A quick rehash of the new features:

Combat - New dash feature, new charged bow system. Beyond this, it still looks and feels as clumsy as 1.0. SNES games like Legend of Zelda, a Link to the Past have vastly improved combat systems compared to Minecraft. This is supposed to be a nearly finished product. No additional weapons were announced, no ability to craft special features/characteristics in to the weapon beyond basic materials.

Food - Melons, Pumpkins, and perhaps onions(?) added. Growing wheat still seems like the primary farming method, which has always felt pretty broken to me and never really hashed out much.

NPC Villages - yes, pre-generated villages, but strange ghost towns seem worthless without NPCs to populate them. I guess that they're a core part of the new terrain generation, but this still seems incredibly unpolished.

These are all really neat new features, and do add a lot to the game.... but they feel really unpolished. This is supposed to be the last big marketing push before MineCon in November with the official commercial release. Building stuff is fun, but combat still feels broken and most of the features they added feel very empty and not completely thought out. People are willing to accept these oversights because a) they're in "indie" developer and b) "this is barely beta. stop complaining about an unfinished game. you paid for access to the unfinished version".

to a), They have something like $25 million in the bank, which puts them on par with small to medium sized developers. I doubt the company Valve hired to work on CS:GO (Hidden Path Entertainment) is a $25 million company. Not only are they producing two games (plus console and mobile spin-offs), but they've started publishing games as well. Notch might claim he's an indie developer, but they're rapidly becoming part of the establishment (although of a more friendly sort)

to b) 1.8 is nearly feature complete. Most people I know bought in somewhere around 1.3 when new features were being added monthly or even weekly. Since 1.5, updates have slowed dramatically, and of the great ideas Notch has floated as "future official features", very few of them have made it in to the game. Pistons barely made it in simply to placate the user base, it would appear.

I'm not sure if Mojang has much interest in developing more features in Minecraft at this point. From the total lack of new features, it seems that Notch is spending more time and interest in meetings and developing the company than finishing Minecraft as a complete product that most people thought they were buying in to when they purchased the game.

Hopefully the good chunk of code they spent re-writing over the last 2-3 months means that new features and gameplay elements will be easier to implement in to the game before and after the official release. If this is the feature-complete version of minecraft for SMP, count me as disappointed.

On a side-note, I'm a little concerned about the size and shapes of the continents. While bigger, deeper oceans are really exciting, this seems to really break the spirit of large SMP servers who have traditionally had large, semi-connected landmasses. I don't know about other people, but I find the SMP servers to be the core experience of Minecraft. I think oceans are the right way to go, but from the 20-30 min of video I've seen so far, rail or nether links between the continents will be difficult and the fairly small islands (build spaces/user territories tend to be 150x150 blocks in the flat areas) don't seem conductive to large communities building in easily navigable areas. As someone pointed out on the server I play on, "I like walking in one direction and stumbling upon new build areas other people are working on". It's nice to look out and not see anything on the horizon, but perhaps the continents are too small/skinny, and too broadly spaced apart? I watched Notch fly in one direction for about 2 minutes (faster than rail speed, that's about 1km or 1000 blocks) and didn't see him fly near a large continent the entire time. Only one to two small islands, perhaps 30x70 blocks in size.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rack posted:

I dunno. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I like the idea of large oceans to separate people. It gives a bit more of an explorer-feel to it, where you have to make a concerted effort (and a risk) to getting into a boat and travelling a great distance to a most likely uninhabited land. Or the sight of looking for uncharted land and seeing someone's massive gently caress-off castle on the shore. Granted, I think it'll be a slow burn for people to get off the main landmass and cross the waters but once it gets going I think there's a lot of potential for growth.

I liked Wind Waker, and didn't mind spending forever in a boat, and I think this helps add to that feel.

I agree with you on this point. It would be neat to have various themed islands/continents, and I don't doubt that many, many servers will have some sort of system designed around this idea.

My main issue here is that "traditionally" there has been some sort of minecart transportation system that would take you to the various parts of the map, usually over land. In a continent based scenario, boats seem to work a lot better. Without some sort of organized nautical navigation system, I feel like you're going to have a bunch of signs that says something like, "Hadlock's Island: 600 blocks west, then 200 blocks south" and "Rack's Island: 1200 Blocks north, 450 blocks east". That's a lot of distance to cover, and I'm not sure you can really trust the average player to do that kind of navigation on their own. Having continents/islands spread out 600+ blocks apart means either hugely increased travel times on SMP servers, or there will need to be some dramatic improvements to fast travel in the Nether that Notch hasn't touched upon yet.

Eiba posted:

Umm... you realize we just saw a stream of what was done of 1.8 so far. Like, that's not the update.

1.8 will have NPCs in the villages.

Notch has already said that 1.8 is ready to go, they've just been waiting on PAX for it's release, and will make some balance changes after, unless you've heard otherwise?

Eiba posted:

... Really?

You know what, never mind. It's not worth it.

Please! Elaborate I've heard (and read) both sides of the "you're playing the pre-release version" and "Mojang adds plenty of features each point update" arguments, but at this point it's beginning to sound a bit hollow with 80 days until release. If Notch is trying to sell us on the Adventure mode (as opposed to the adventure update), he hasn't done a very good job of convincing me thus far that significant improvements will be made post-November.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

csidle posted:

Does anyone know of a video where he's shown an abandoned mineshaft? The only one I know of is the first video that came out of PAX that was livestreamed from a phone, which means that the quality was really really bad.

here

http://www.justin.tv/fdoke/b/293539704

somewhere between 10:45 and 15:00 of this video he starts flying out away from the coast and lands on an island and discovers an abandoned mine shaft that he explores for about 2 minutes. i'm pretty sure this is what you're talking about. i haven't seen any since.

Norton posted:

Once the update hits, is there any way to force minecraft to regenerate some of the chunks I've already visited but don't really use. I'd love to have some new terrain near my farming complexes.

I think you should be able to do this with MCedit and delete entire chunks. The next time you travel through them it should gen with the new worldgen code. In theory. Or it might just corrupt your world file forever We'll know more in a week or two. Judging from the video, the newly generated chunks will probably be water though, unless they're extremely close to spawn.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at Aug 30, 2011 around 10:05

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lord Twisted posted:

E: for people who are worried about wanting to gen new chunks for 1.8 goodness in them, just make a nether portal with a stone protected pathway. It's what we're planning on in my friends only server. Go through hell to reach new lands!

The unofficial plan for the server I play on (Knifeback Mountain) was to do just this. There's a 1000 (1km) block railway/monorail in the nether bedrock, below the lava oceans that ends in "New Spawn", a 100x100 underground cave system where the new portal will be built.

The end result should be a new spawn set 8km (8000 blocks) west of the original spawn when the portal is lit and walked through. That should give us about 6000 blocks between the new spawn and the fringes of the "old spawn" discovered areas. Fingers crossed that the portal pops out somewhere near an island of sorts though. "Continents" in the new world gen code seemed very few and far between in the PAX demos.

That's assuming the portal code even works bug-free at that sort of distance with the new worldgen code

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Scuttle_SE posted:

Uhm, so I am putting up a Minecraft-server for my brother and his friends.

You're building a purpose-built PC as a minecraft server? Or do you plan on doing some other things with it as well?

Have you considered a rental server instead? For $10 a month you can feel out if you guys really need $250+ worth of equipment, or if everyone is going to lose interest in the project after three weeks. There's a bunch of great serverhosts in the OP.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rabidsamba posted:

So Jeb just posted the 1.8 terrain and items

Are the pigmen, ghast, creeper skins stored elsewhere? has he released those bitmaps yet? AFAIK nobody knows what the NPCs will look like.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FidgetyRat posted:

I like that redstone "minecraft" computer, but my god I wish people would script their videos before posting. Just listening to that guy talk made me want to punch something.

Expecting someone

a) capable of visualizing, then constructing that in 3D and
b) actually completeing it and then bug testing it

to have superior social/presentation skills is sort of rough. Besides, spending a week in front of the computer doing that sort of thing is liable to drive you just a bit crazy.

Credit is due to him for building that thing. Of the various mega-redstone projects, his seems a lot more carefully thought out and well constructed. I couldn't understand everything he did, but how he handled memory seemed a lot less convoluted than the indian/scandnavian guy who made the 3D color printer last month. See here for comparison: http://youtu.be/pjQ9JL5E9gc?t=4m55s

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lord Twisted posted:

Seriously who the gently caress are these people and where do they have the time/aspergers level of skill and visualisation to pull this poo poo off

The interesting thing about his vs. the 3d color printer is that the 3d printer is extremely abstract and simply theoretical, while the minecraft computer/machine is a much more accessible device, like an actual machine designed for people to walk around in it and maintain it. If you look closely each major section, he has lit hallways (even includes a rail system to get to the heart of it!) and he makes good use of glass blocks to make things more visible. Everything is color coded. Systems are easily distinguished and well laid out. You could imagine this being in some sort of zany minecraft factory somewhere, with tens of men running around working on this thing.

The color printer guy on the other hand, he has everything in sandstone blocks on a sand background. It's a mess. Everything looks the same, you can't figure out where one subsystem ends and the next begins without physically tracing wires. It works, but everything is vertical and extremely compact, difficult to get at, he doesn't include many debugging systems baked in to the system. Once it works, it works, but god help you if something's broken deep in the center of that color wool block repository.

Somewhere in the depths of Intel, nVidia and IBM's respective HR departments, they've made files for both of these guys, and will probably offer them jobs when they graduate college. The minecraft in minecraft guy will probably be offered a higher starting salary though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock fucked around with this message at Sep 1, 2011 around 18:59

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does anyone know the smallest space a ghast can spawn in? e.g. torches need to be spaced apart a max of 6 blocks on a grid to prevent monsters from spawning. I've noticed that ghasts will spawn in areas 10x10x10 underground before.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Zero Star posted:

Is there a list of really awesome worldgen seeds anywhere? I know about gargamel but I'm curious to see alternatives. Heck, if there isn't a decent list anywhere, I'd be happy to have a go at compiling one.

Besides the list of seeds link in the OP?

Or are you talking about creating a new list of seeds once 1.8 with the new worldgen code is released in a week(?) or so?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tw1tchy posted:

Minecraft 1.8 trailer is now out!

So does that mean 1.8 is finally going to be released? I think Jeb said it was going out on Thursday?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Loving Life Partner posted:

So a couple of friends got me involved with a mega project; an underground desert.

No, I don't know why it has to be an underground desert, but we're about halfway done the clearing part.

One diamond pick = .5% clearance of the allotted area. And we're doing it all the hardway, no mods/server commands, oy.

The size is 100x100x30, this is about 2/3rds of the cleared space, give or take.

Features:
Sand floor, sand dunes, cacti, a sun sphere made of glass and lava, a transition to a night sky with a glowstone moon and twinkling red torch stars, an oasis, sandstone hieroglyphs in the walls, other decor, and above ground a giant pyramid full of traps that leads down inside the desert.

It's a fun/ambitious project, but tedious as all get out.

If you unlit a huge area and stuck a couple of 3 deep trenches between you and the creepers, it would be pretty trivial to harvest enough gunpowder to blow the rest of the area in short time.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

crazylakerfan posted:

Oh god, someone needs to make a Lemmings mod.

If 1.8/1.9/2.0 supports "unbreakable" custom maps where you can give players X blocks in their starting inventory, this would be an interesting SP map mode. The game would have to support more than 10 (or whatever) mobs in a small area though; so you could drop them through a hole in the floor with pistons when you were ready.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

You're going to need to heal anyway, and the food you'll be eating either way adds to your hunger bar. If your health gets down to .5 hearts for any reason, you'd normally eat something to begin with.

Doesn't that effectively just give you a longer health bar?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So we are planning a 1km extension west in the nether on Knifeback Mountain, with a "new spawn" town dug deep underground, ready to pop out in to a new area surrounded by the new 1.8 geometry code and several thousand blocks of fresh terrain in each direction. It's designed so that ghasts don't have enough space to spawn in there. i was getting ready to do some upgrades to the rail system when I see a zombie pigman zip down the rail extension (with powered rail) in a minecart back towards old spawn.

So tossed down a cart and chased after him. I followed him on the rail line for about 50 seconds before he despawned and his cart rolled to a stop.

I didn't have any idea this was possible.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jeb said on twitter within the last week "we don't release on fridays". Then something about monday the 12th.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I haven't come across any oceans yet like we saw in the PAX video

I've been about 2000 blocks in each directions and... nothing. Maybe it's because I'm in creative mode?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

fondue posted:

Okay, I've got a SMP 1.8 server running on goonimati.com:30000 if anyone wants to fart around. I have PvP enabled and pretty much everything else but flying.

this has been a blast tonight. being able to toggle between creative and struggle is great

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Eiba posted:

I am loving the ocean survival maps though. Oceans in general are fantastic. Maybe not being in the middle of one, but building something on an ocean shore, with the knowledge that you're on the border of something truly vast is pretty awesome.

I explored around finally and found an "ocean" that was approx 1000x780 blocks, with a couple of 10x20 islands clustered in the very center. From the worldgen photo he showed before, it looked like the code was going to create continent islands surrounded by kilometers of ocean. Still, not bad, maybe the island continent option will still be available under "World Type: Other" in the greyed out world creation button?

Eiba posted:

I guess there's no snow in the game anymore. Has anyone seen anywhere with ice or snow?

We played for about 4 hours last night and nobody saw a single cow the entire time

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Eegah posted:

If you're looking for a large body of water to explore without the annoying starvation factor, "Psamathe" spawns you on the west coast of a continent, with a giant ocean to the east.

This is brilliant. We need a list of seeds like this one with huge oceans and a spawn that starts you right on the coast. This is robinson crusoe in digital form right here.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

m2pt5 posted:

I did the "1km track at bedrock level in the nether" thing in my SSP world to get to a new area before 1.8, and after turning on villages and strongholds, I just loaded it up in 1.8 pre and jumped through the portal at the other end, only to end up on a little floating obsidian platform over a swamp. (It was night by the time I got there, so I built that bridge with torches.)

Ah, thanks for doing this! I figured it would work, but after XX hours developing "new spawn" in the nether, it's good to see confirmation that this does indeed work!

Bellend Sebastian posted:

Absolutely loving the changes to 1.8 barring one minor thing, the abandoned mines are too big and sprawling. I'm quite happy to go exploring, but they either seem to merge with other systems of mines too often or they're just really loving big. I've been wandering around getting lost for hours and hours, pretty much unable to find a natural cave system anymore, really.

Ok, I'm glad this wasn't just me. Waiting for chunks to fill in on an SMP server while flying around I noticed this as well. Maybe this will get listed as a bug? I saw abandoned mineshafts that were 5-6 stories deep and ran for 100+ blocks in each direction in a giant grid pattern. Sort of absurd and seems overkill, but at least it wasn't hard to find them! Perhaps a little too common.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Macaluso posted:

So can you make grass now if all you have is dirt (for like an underground/floating garden) or do you still have to set up ridiculous grass stairs?

You can cut wild/tall grass with shears. Dunno if that would work or not. Alternately you could push a grassy block down a 1x1 shaft where you need it to go with a single piston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Orv posted:

What. . .that. . .no wait. . .what. . .that's amazing, and I feel stupid as hell for not realizing that.

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't seen that posted anywhere else until just now, either. I'm not even sure if it works, or if it converts the block back in to a regular dirt block. But maybe!

«5 »