Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Beach towels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

During a full moon can you only destroy rabbits with a holy hand grenade?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

xzzy posted:

So yeah, the banners system is totally fitting for Minecraft because the spergs went completely nuts with it.

Just in time for my full-scale recreation of the Gaza occupation :allears:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there a way/alternative to run Minecraft without downloading Java?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I just loathe the Java popup "there's an update avalible! update now or kittens will die!" notifications every 3 weeks. Minecraft is the only reason for me to install this crazy security hole in my desktop...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Neowyrm posted:

No, but that's creepy as poo poo. That's some reboot stuff going on there.

Raise your hand if you're old enough to recognize that reference.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I am going to need a chart here

Is the DCMA takedown because Bukkit is GPL'd, but based on refactored Minecraft code, therefore if they don't issue the DCMA takedown, they're inherently yielding copyright to those chunks of the minecraft sourcecode by not enforcing it?

That is a weird problem to have. I would love to have been in the room when Wolfe explained that to Mojang legal;

"Well, uh, before you guys hired me, I was working on a codebase that contained code I stole from you guys, so uh, we should issue a takedown notice against, well I guess me? But it's cool guys. I got this."

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Microsoft is historically terrible at consumer products.

They are deeply associated with the term Embrace, extend, and extinguish for a reason.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ok so I found out that you can download a precompiled craftbukkit server virtual machine ready to roll with the google maps thing preconfigured etc

Apparently the DCMA has Bukkit left at 1.79 and Minecraft is now 1.8 leaving me with no upgrade path

:negative:

How do I find an old 1.79 copy of Minecraft? Or a legit 1.80 Bukkit jar file?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Loading Nether data ought to be the same as loading Overworld data when they first enter the server. If they leave the server while in the Nether and then reconnect, does it cause the same lag problem as when they go through the portal?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

:psyduck: Apparently that is a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnmg2ZCP__0

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hot drat, I uninstalled Minecraft a year or two ago simply to get rid of the constant java upgrade nags and the fact that java is a giant gaping security hole in your computer. If they can sandbox java, make it 64 bit and solve all the other user-hostile issues that Java does by bringing it in-house, loving fantastic.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Very true, but I'm really happy with the 'recent' (as in, sometime in 2012-2013) addition of TONS of clay, virtually on the floor of any body of water.

I think that was with the addition of swamp biomes, I think? :corsair:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

They were selling Minecraft Creeper and Enderman plushies at Target at least two years ago.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does chunk view distance also == physics render/chunk update?

Like, 2048 chunk view, that's a lot of pigs, cows, chickens, creepers, zombies etc hopping about

Also new chunks have lava falling in to water, water falling in to lava, and whatever. I would assume anything > 16 chunks is viewable but not "active", right?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So I have a Minecraft account from pre-microsoft, notch-era micrcraft, circa 2010. I see a single email from January 2019 saying they migrated my account to a mojang account

I cant do a password reset, or, I try, from here

https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/password/forgot

and also here

https://account.mojang.com/migrate

No luck. I've sent in two support tickets now, weeks/months apart, no response. Yes, I've checked my spam folders. Is twitter even halfway worthwhile way of getting in touch with them, or what

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

El Jeffe posted:

Linking carts together to make a proper train would be great.

if you could do train stuff in minecraft I don't know if the internet could handle that

is there a functional train mod in minecraft?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Probably preaching to the choir here, but you have until Sept 19, 2023 (2 weeks) to convert your minecraft account over if you haven't done so already. I'm probably the last person on the planet to do so, but just in case

Mine got hijacked in ~2015 by, according to the email I just got, "Sr_ShawOf" and for the first time since 2019 finally got a customer service rep to actually help me out.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's a bunch of off brand open source Minecraft clones out there if you're not dead set of it saying "MINECRAFT" on the loading screen

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I migrated my account and then installed the .deb "Linux installer" and was able to harass some non aggro animals on a random seed

Presumably being able to launch it on Linux would mean you're not tied to a Microsoft Store blah blah

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Microsoft bought Minecraft 9 years ago I think they're in the clear to close account conversions. Especially given how messy Mojang handled accounts as a small company

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My guess is that the slow drip of updates sells more copies via word of mouth and YouTube stuff than anything else

After more than a decade in development it ought to have surpassed Gary's mod or the new Zelda game or baldurs gate 3 in features and breadth but it hasn't

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm wholly convinced the Java edition with it's mods fuels the YouTube content creator machine that ultimately sells bedrock copies

Now I'm morbidly curious to go find out what's become of the Yogscast guys oh God Yogscast autocompletes on my cell phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I spent more time than I should have looking for a non-existent thread just now thanks