Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I've just spent the last hour or so updating a Painterly texture pack to work with 1.8 - and let me tell you it was no picnic.

I haven't done all the mobs yet - cave spiders and silverfish are their default textures - and there's some other default stuff still hanging around in there. But the blocks and so forth are all done. Some of 'em I had to draw myself, so they might not be the greatest.

If it's OK with kas, I'll post it here, although since it's specifically my preferences you might want to do your own image editing when you get it :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

kas posted:

Well seeing as the official painterly update will be out in about an hour, uh, knock yourself out in the meantime. :P

Well, gently caress. :v:

Lookin' forward to seeing what you've got, in that case. Considering that quite a bit of the new stuff is things you've already made - like the melons and iron bars, for instance - you've probably had a fun time with it.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

kas posted:

NOTE: Custom chests are coming next update. So for now enjoy your uglychests.

Or use these slightly-less-uglychests!

They are chest.png and largechest.png in the item folder.

Haha, my time wasted was not so wasted after all!

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

kas posted:

Sure, I'll use em for now. Since the new stuff doesn't work at all with the old, I was going to redo new chests from scratch but this works in the meantime. Thank you! I'll update it now.

You might wanna clear 'em up some, I didn't really excel at using the clone tool in some places.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Are we sure that the two animals in "love mode" have to be the same species? I was hoping to do some amazing crossbreeding.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Tobaccrow posted:

There should be an animal crate tool that makes animals portable/storable as inventory items. How does putting a cow in a big wooden crate make it possible to carry 64 of them one-handed? Who cares. Makes more sense than working with eggs. Recipe could be something like a chest with iron bars in the middle.

Makes as much sense as being able to carry enough building materials to construct a medium-sized house in your back pocket, I suppose.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

toggle posted:

So some fuckwit on the official forums just messaged me saying that he is going to use the story line from my adventure maps for his "retail console game". He doesn't want my permission, but he just wanted to let me know that he was going to use it. Such a nice guy.

The Minecraft community really is amazing.

Mention legal action, I'm pretty sure everyone on the Minecraft forums is designed from the ground up to poo poo their pants and throw a tantrum at the merest mention of copyright law.

Although in all likelihood the guy is a self-professed "ideas man" and doesn't have the faintest idea about how to make a videogame.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Bottles! :swoon:

What's the icon for speed supposed to be, though?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Time makes sense for speed and holding your breath, but jumping and strength less so. That is, unless it denotes a cooldown, or possibly a maximum limit. You can only jump once every 6.34 seconds, perhaps.

Although that still doesn't make much sense :(

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Vatek posted:

I doubt it, because that would be loving terrible.

I think I'm going to go with "placeholder numbers that mean nothing" for the time being, because frankly without any further information it's just random stabs in the dark.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Joda posted:

This shouldn't be too hard. Just have the game check every time there's a lightning strike where the highest point within, say, a 20 block radius is and have it strike there. At least that's prob how I'd prefer to have it done.

Yeah, but we need some kind of lightning rod we can place, like say on top of the town hall, otherwise how are we going to get the 1.21 gigawatts we need to activate the time circuit?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Nah, it'll be The Elder Trolls.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

trandorian posted:

I would really like this. They don't even have to be nice looking or make sense.

Then again, the current endermen on the 1.8.1 server I play on seem to have a habit of bringing their blocks to certain piles. Unless there's some player on my server who really likes making a grab bag stack of leaves, sand, stone brick and grass blocks. (Which reminds me, it's kind of handy having endermen carry grass blocks around especially into caves and tunnels. Now I have a lawn in front of my subterranean hell castle.)

I stand by my belief that endermen chopping holes in trees at random is awesome though.

I'd really like it if there were particular block co-ordinates that acted like endermen magnets. Every time they'd place a block, they'd try and place it as close to the "magnet spot" as possible. So that way you could end up with weird structures that encompassed, or reached up to, a particular point. Imagine finding a huge tower made from assorted blocks, stretching up towards the sky like a primitive attempt to commune with the gods.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

EightBit posted:

If you think redstone circuits are highly spergy, congratulations you're not a programmer and probably couldn't do it proficiently even if you went to school to get a CS degree.

Y'know, there's stuff I'm good at which you're probably completely inept at. So congratulations!!! Our respective educations took us down separate paths!!

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Montalvo posted:

I code daily and redstone is beyond me. :downs:

You mean that when you code, you don't spread out a vast network of wires that can never cross under any circumstances, each one operated by a system of on/off switches that can alter the entire fundamental structure if they are misplaced just slightly?

How could there possibly be a more simple and elegant system than that? I bet you use Visual Basic or something :rolleyes:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

CJacobs posted:

The problem with redstone is that, while it works as a true-to-coding current system (for the most part) with inputs and outputs, each redstone ash pile takes up a block's worth of space, as do redstone torches. There's no way to make contraptions anything but 'huge and poorly disguised' because redstone just takes up too much drat space and micromanaging to be worth it for building design purposes.

Which is why we need circuit blocks in vanilla, condense it all down to minimal space.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

glitchwraith posted:

Even if Notch doesn't include the ideas, where there is a will, there is a mod.

And where there's a mod, there's an adf.ly link. Also arguments and drama.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Vib Rib posted:

Crops grow faster with water, but don't require them.
Except reeds. Why are they giving you reeds but no water?

They do give you water, there's two ice blocks in your inventory.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
New portal gate that transports you to the moon, you have to craft a special spacesuit first out of leather and iron or else you die instantly, but you can mine moonrocks and also special cheese blocks.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

A Sassy Dog posted:

Special cheese blocks that stop water from flowing within a two-block radius. :downs:

They split into cheese fragments, but you can put the pieces together to make a solid cheese block, like with lightstone. You can also combine bread, cooked meat and cheese to make a burger which heals you for max hearts but also increases your horizontal size so eating too many means you can't fit down single-block-wide passages anymore. Also you sweat profusely.

Plus, moonshrooms.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
On the plus side, releasing the textures this early means that kas gets one heck of a head start! :v:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Nettle Soup posted:

I made something silly.

http://build-what.com/

quote:

Why not put together a big chicken farm out of clay brick. Put it close to an ocean, and make sure there's a mountain nowhere near.

There should be a trap filled with wolves overlooking it

Well, this sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Let's do it :v:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
You've answered your own questions. Pigs? Leather? Make a saddle and ride.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

MikeJF posted:

Sorry, but... what is that?

The front entrance of Main Street, USA.

edit: God loving damnit

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Psalmanazar posted:

Who the hell will end up slaying an enderdragon anyway beyond the incredibly dedicated.

Frankly if the end result is to get subjected to some 15-year-old's half-assed creative writing project, I think most people are going to actively avoid slaying it.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

The Triumphant posted:

It really says something about Notch's creative process and artistic discipline that the idea of an ending his game was a last-minute decision that he outsourced.

Feels like he outsourced it to 4chan, judging by the quality.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

tinaun posted:

Testificates have a basic AI now, they can open doors, plant seeds and avoid lava.

http://imgur.com/a/aSIHf

Isn't this just a mod? Or did I miss it getting added to vanilla?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Y'know, it occurs to me that one of the best moves right now for Mojang would be to make the modding API as quick as possible. That way the lack of content in the vanilla game becomes less apparent, because you've got a whole host of easy-to-install mods (which might even work in multiplayer) that will spice things up. Especially if they put a "mod spotlight" or something on the main site where they encourage people to try out the more popular mods.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Jesto posted:

How long would it take for someone to make a decent Minecraft clone that doesn't try to do anything creative or weird or to even be a unique game in the slightest, just allowing for mining resources and crafting them into things, with a heavy focus on mod support?

The problem is that most people who are making Minecraft clones these days are slavishly trying to recreate Minecraft rather than actually innovate, because Minecraft is a success and popular, and maybe they're not bright enough to figure out that it is such a success and popular despite its flaws and problems, not because of them.

I've done a fair bit of game design (traditional, not video) and in order to learn I've had to look at other people's approaches to game design. From my perspective, notch doesn't have any clear goals in mind for his game, which is where it falls down. He has basic ideas for what he wants, but he hasn't really planned them out to the extent that is necessary.

Take the tool crafting, for instance: he obviously wanted a system where your tools get better the longer you play - from wood and stone to iron and finally to diamond. But it just doesn't work out that way, as anyone here can tell you: you make one wooden pick to get enough stone to make a stone pick, and then you use stone picks for the rest of the game except when you need iron or diamond to harvest a particular resource.

Or you could look at mining itself. The idea is that you go underground and harvest ores for crafting. But after a certain point you don't need any more ore, because you don't need it. Gold is near-useless, except for making clocks and potions. Once you have a few iron tools and some buckets, iron isn't important. Redstone has no real use in survival mode beyond potions, and even then it's not that great. Coal is great, but charcoal is better, because it comes from a renewable source. So really, once you've got enough materials to make the gear you need, there's really little to no reason to keep mining.

There's about a dozen or so little fixes I can see that would help make Minecraft better, and I think that they're also pretty obvious to most people. But notch, I don't think he has the right mindset for game design, because not only does he apparently not see these fixes, but he's not having anyone in Mojang work on adding these fixes - because I refuse to believe that out of everyone working there, nobody else can see these obvious flaws in their game.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

neogeo0823 posted:

Anyone have any advice?

Are spiders still incapable of climbing sandstone? You could use that.

edit: The Minecraft wiki says they can't climb soul sand covered in vines, apparently. You can also use thin blocks (like glass planes) to create a lip they can't climb.

Fuego Fish fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 26, 2011

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Vib Rib posted:

I have to agree. Ever since Minecraft came out to begin with, people have been talking about how they should just make "Minecraft, but better". Yet every clone I've seen has been an attempt at emulating without understanding. They copy specific features exactly, without knowing what makes them work (or not work). For instance, it seems like the vast majority of Minecraft clones use the same 3x3 crafting grid, for no real reason other than that Minecraft does it.

Terraria, on the other hand, is essentially the only game I can think of that took the spirit of Minecraft and made something different and unique, instead of copying -- and they've sold over a million copies because of it. They started out seemingly similar but have since diverged to be markedly different games. And crafting in Terraria definitely does not involve a 3x3 crafting grid. It took basic premises of what made Minecraft fun for people and developed its own take on them, whereas clones like Manic Digger, Uberblox, FortressCraft, and other games that even seem to rip from the name just try to be Minecraft.

Y'know, there's a similar kind of thing that happens with some amateurs getting into tabletop RPG design. They want to make a game, and they decide that the game they want to make is D&D. Not just the theme and the setting, but right down to the classes and the specific mechanics.

Now, there's room out there for another few games based around exploring a fantasy world and killing it piece by piece, God knows there's been more than enough videogames on that concept, but the problem is that there's no variation. We get the same old wizard/cleric/paladin/thief classes with the same stupid spells and the same stupid monsters. Just like with Minecraft clones, it's all done by rote. We'll do this because the original does it, because that's what it has to be to be a success.

I really have no idea how you can be talented enough at programming to emulate Minecraft's 3D engine - I wouldn't know where to begin making a 2D engine - and yet not have a loving clue how to have an original thought about the gameplay or content that might differentiate it from the pre-existing product.

I'd really love to give a go at creating a Minecraft-inspired game, I've got a hell of a lot of ideas on the subject, but my coding prowess more or less ends at HTML. Tabletop Minecraft probably doesn't work so good either. Still, maybe I can try hiring a coder when I have a bit more spare cash kicking around :v:

Vib Rib posted:

As for the bitterness and disappointment regarding the original game itself, Minecraft is not [yet?] what I had hoped it would ultimately be. If I had a list of things I eventually wanted to see, we wouldn't be there yet.
But I have been playing, sometimes more and sometimes less, for basically two years.
For ten bucks I can't really be all that mad about it.

Yeah, likewise, although I can't say I see the game as it is at the moment as looking like it's worth twenty bucks to new players. When I bought Minecraft, it was an alpha, and my expectation was that by release it'd have all the bugs ironed out and all the gaps in gameplay filled. But twenty bucks or so for a "finished product" that's still missing so much? I can't say I'd go for it.

I wouldn't say notch is a bad designer, just that he's not got the experience. I think he just sees the game as more "his" game than being for other people. That's pure conjecture, mind you, but I think it'd explain a lot of his dodgy choices and general lackadaisical attitude to new content.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Skilleddk posted:

What does leveling up do anyway? I'm level 25 and notice no difference in anything.

You spend levels to "buy" enchantments at the enchanting table, basically exchanging your experience points for potentially beneficial upgrades.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Oggumogoggum posted:

Hopefully the AI enhancements that they've hinted at will help with mob behaviour, because as things are it's pretty unimpressive.

Hell, as a temporary fix they could just add in a few more things that mobs should walk toward/away from. Like lava, for instance. Not walking into lava would be a useful thing.

Or if you want to get complicated, maybe they could throw in some conditionals. Like make it so skeletons will walk toward you if they see you, but will walk away if you're too close - within 5 spaces, say. That might make fighting them more difficult than it currently is.

Of course this isn't much of a replacement for actual AI with pathfinding and etc., but it could be a good patch in the interim.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Iacen posted:

That tall grass still is slightly off-center. It's so frigging obvious!

I have no idea how anyone could "release" a game with so many flaws and bugs still present. I mean, I know they set themselves a deadline, but could they not have set a deadline about six months from now instead? Give themselves enough time to fix all the problems and add in all the much-needed gameplay stuff?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

tinaun posted:

In good hunger news, apple trees are being added to the game.

I think a 0.5% chance of getting an apple from a tree doesn't really make it an "apple tree".

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Senator Woofington posted:

edit: Also yes, you can cheese monster spawners neat. Enjoy playing your game like that. I fight enemies when I find them underground or at night like a man. I have several spawners by me I could build grinders for and leave my guy idle for ~free items~ but you don't have to. You literally don't need to in even the slightest way. I have more bones then I will ever need (8 stacks of 64 from the two weeks since my server has been up) and I have just collected those overtime from fighting monsters.

Combat in Minecraft is boring as gently caress. It consists of either bashing something as it unerringly attempts to walk directly toward you (because it has no AI whatsoever) or shooting at range from a bow as it unerringly attempts to walk directly toward you (because it has no AI whatsoever). There is nothing gripping or engaging about that. There are no attack animations that signal the mob is about to attack, so blocking is pointless. There are no special attacks to vary combat, except for the creeper's obnoxious ability to explode. The mob walks toward you, you hit it while walking backwards to not die. It is literally less complex than Rock'em-Sock'em Robots.

Believe it or not, some people find doing incredibly tedious things like that to be incredibly tedious, especially if it's expected of them to do it dozens of times every night, over and over. Especially when they could be doing something reasonably more productive, even when the list of productive activities in Minecraft is a pretty short one. But they could be mining, crafting, brewing, anything but waving a sword at an enemy with less brains than a loving moth.

As soon as combat in Minecraft becomes at least as interesting as the combat in, say, Doom, then you'd better loving believe that sensible people are going to continue to opt to farm monsters instead of romping about at night like a Goddamn idiot with delusions of machismo.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Howmuch posted:

Not sure whether I should post this here or in the mod thread, but this mod should definitely be implemented in the vanilla version

Completely agreed, I loving loved the diving/swimming ones. The side-strafe jump thing looked a bit odd, but I guess it might be useful.

I'd definitely love to see whoever made this mod try their hand at mob animations.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I use 'em for flooring in kitchens, workshops, places like that. Looks real nice.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Is anyone else hoping that, when the modding API finally comes out, there'll be a way to allow for custom user-created content without the need for actually going about coding your own mod?

I see all these mods that add in new blocks and new items, but they're all specific to the mod. Like Mystic Ores, which adds in a bunch of new blocks, but they're only what the mod creator has set them to be.

Unless I'm missing a mod somewhere (which may be likely, there's hardly a comprehensive listing), there's no easy way for me to add in a new block or item that is specifically what I want. Like, say, adding in a new type of stone block that uses x texture and is created with recipe y.

Frankly I'm hoping that if this happens when the modding API is released, it means I can custom-design my own SMP server to have the kind of functionality and style that I want it to have, which is all I've ever really wanted out of SMP :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Spectral Werewolf posted:

While that's not what an API does, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for someone to make a program with a GUI that just lets an average joe create new blocks, new textures, new recipes, etc. Because once we have a way to compile stand alone mods that can be dropped in a folder, how the content is made doesn't really matter.

It's a good idea though, someone will probably get right on that kind of tool.

I know that's not what an API is, but the way I see it, it'll be an easier project to develop once we get past the "Surprise! The game updated, now nothing works anymore!" stage of Minecraft modding.

Frankly I think some kind of Minecraft Editor would be a good thing for Mojang themselves to make. If new block types and items could be created and shared among the community, it'd take a whole lot of pressure off them when it comes to new content.

You could probably do the same thing with, like, building designs for NPC villages. Provide a kind of "mini creative mode" where you have a limited space in which to design a building - 20x20x20, for example - and when you're done it uses them when generating terrain in-game. You could then save the building, export it as a file, and send it to other people, or put it up for download. Customise how your worlds look.

I think any way to start altering the sandbox itself is a good alternative to one person saying "this is what Minecraft is, you can't change anything, so deal with it."