Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Endermen are literally the worst loving mob ever holy poo poo. I refuse to play on anything but peaceful now due to those assholes. They look creepy, act creepy, sound creepy, and are basically the most terrifying thing ever to run into in the middle of a cave. And worst of all, they gently caress up my house. God drat this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gorfob posted:

He removed the block moving thing.

Oh okay good. In 1.8 I hope. Still bullshit, I'm sorry. God dammit. I'm sitting here with a paused game in a cave because I don't want to go into the crazy scary darkness. :cry: Do these guys spawn underground????

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What tools are out there to help plan your houses? Does anyone have tips for making a nice looking house, as well? I've heard something about making sure it's 3D, and using various materials, or something. Is there a guide out there?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there any particular reason why my house is being ransacked by monsters every time I try and go to sleep? I have a 2-block radius covered around my bed, and the lighting is fine. Here's some screens:

What is it about this that's causing me to get woken up? I've tried moving the bed, adding more torches, flipping the doors. What am I missing?

World link: http://www.filedropper.com/cocwads

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

billy cuts posted:

It's because of the double doors - "When trying to sleep in a bed at night, a monster may enter through the outside right hinged door and disturb the player. To prevent this, keep the right hinge door open, and you will be able to sleep."

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Doors#Double_Door

What the gently caress. I'll try this out when I get back, thanks. I might just remove the doors altogether and make a piston thingy instead.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've got some space to add on sort of "modules" to my house at the sides, what kinds of structures would it help a lot for me to have and look good? Also, do villagers get mad if you destroy their houses?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Children will take any excuse to scream their asses off.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have four pistons set up in exactly the same way, to create a 2x2 sliding door. The two pistons on the right work. The two pistons on the left, the top one works, but the bottom one doesn't. :byodood: I'm close to giving up on exactly why the hell this is happening. Is there a known bug in Minecraft regarding redstone and 2x2 doors?

edit: I've figured something out. Apparently that one piston will only fire when it's interacted with, e.g. you put some redstone next to it, mine a block under it, remove it and put it back, etc. What's going on?

edit never mind. it just decided to fix itself.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 11, 2011

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Younger generations are just horrifically self-entitled in general.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ah wash mahseylf wif a rag on a steeyick :haw:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What's new in 1.9pre4? Just The End, or anything else?

That reminds me, does enchanting actually do anything in 1.9pre3? Or are they going to be taking it out?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So enchantment tables are best with NO space between them and the bookshelves? Because I have a 1 space margin between my table and the shelves.

edit: Enemies interrupt me in my sleep now, when they didn't in 1.9pre3. Bug?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 13, 2011

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Willie Trombone posted:

:words:

Is this why my 2x2 piston door setup won't work, and leaves one of the blocks unextended? :( I wish I was smarter so I could figure out why it was happening.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Or a "YOU GUYS SOCK" version.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Death Himself posted:

Make it a hidden pirate town and widen the entrance to the ocean a bit over on the right.

Get yourself in the mood with this :cool:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

One day I will learn how to build structures that aren’t just boxes and Xs made of wood, but that day is not today :sigh:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I hate making roofs with every fiber of my being. Builder wands don't even help if you're using stairs :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Accent trim (use different types of material for the edges) and non-symmetrical design are key. I'm not a pro house builder or anything, but I have made non-boxes that I was both happy and proud of.

Here's a quick and possibly minor design trick. When placing windows, don't just put down a glass block and be done with it; place however many glass panes between an upward facing stair block (which is on the bottom) and a downward facing stair block (from the top). Since learning that little trick, I rarely have normal looking windows. In fact, unless I'm putting glass on floor or the ceiling, I'm using panes.

Here's a view from the side, to better explain it. "r" is an upside down stair block, and "L" is a normally placed stair block. "I" is your glass pane. The dashes are the floor and ceiling, though obviously those could be wherever you wanted.

--------
r
I
L
--------

That's a really cool and good pattern! Definitely using it in my builds.

EDIT: I have learned at least one other thing: don't try and mix heights with your buildings.

It just doesn't look right. Which makes me wonder if there's a way to handle that at all.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 8, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nuevo posted:

Eh, it's fine. Bring the center, higher roof's left edge down to the bottom of the left lower roof's edge and make a roof-valley between em, and grey in that new triangle area that gets made underneath.

Tried that, it looked...kind of odd. It also didn't quite make a lot of sense from the inside.

SugarAddict posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo_qfeYxjq4&t=18s

This guy makes videos and guides for making fancy vanilla housing, you might want to watch.

This guy's pretty good. I tried the ravine house and the idea is appealing, but I couldn't help but wonder how you're supposed to move from platform to platform.

mehall posted:

The way to fix issues around different height roofs is to think about how they'd occur in real life.

In real life, that house would originally have been built with the highest part, and all to its left, or all to its right.

Whichever side hadn't been built with it originally would be an extension, and likely made out of different material.
(If it was the same material, it would have different weathering but can't do much about that in MC)

What I'm saying is, change material to something a touch lighter on one side, to make it look newer, like an extension.

Yeah, I'm beginning to wonder if taking inspiration from real-life architecture isn't a bad idea. Maybe I can look up roofs other than A-frames on Wikipedia?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I really want to get that ravine house down properly. I noticed that it doesn't work very well if the corners of the ravine are covered by dirt or stone, but I have yet to find one that doesn't have them covered...

Potsticker posted:

This is absolutely the way to go. Do not be afraid to GIS pictures of real life houses and architectural styles and then try and create those same shapes and lines in Minecraft. Don't worry about getting every detail exactly correct, you want to just recreate the feeling. Not only is looking at what other people build in minecraft important, but also to draw from real life and getting practice in converting one to the other in order to strengthen your building techniques and style.

:hai: I might just try making some basic Japanese-style houses, build on a platform with a porch or something. Easy enough to pull off.

Definitely checking out those videos!

EDIT: Some inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF0RyAGkkaI

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 10, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I cannot for the life of me figure out the roof to this drat thing.

Everything I try just looks wrong as poo poo. It's supposed to be loosely inspired by this, but it looks like the roof is near impossible to recreate. Man, roofs suck.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Vib Rib posted:

What are those lighter colored blocks?

Silverwood from Thaumcraft - this is modded.

Cicadas! posted:

Cantilever that poo poo.

gently caress your avatar. Anyway, looking up cantilever. I don't understand how this stuff doesn't just snap off if it's not braced...

Potsticker posted:

PiroPito's newest video is extremely good.

Holy poo poo this rules.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 17, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Can't wait to see the many ways they regret the "watch videos together" feature

Having worked at a place that was specifically based around this functionality, prep for Nazis and masturbation circles.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

It'd be a dead easy shader to write for MC

top 10 things said before disaster

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

As I said in the mod thread, people only seem to care about craft and not mine.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Man I’m pretty sure I just don’t have the part of the brain that drives people to build poo poo. I’m gonna have to learn to be happy with a glorified cube for my houses.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

You're not alone :( Unlike the devs I am also more about the mine than I am about the craft. My favorite part of the game was always running around in caves and trying to happen upon things, a possibility that the devs sadly they never expanded. I never did get into building anything that wasn't intended to be a mostly functional giant spawner tower with mob collection mechanisms, just because they served a point and could let me maximize something. I tried experimenting with all sorts of game mechanics to see if they were exploitable for that, like growing giant mushrooms as a fast strategy for generating multi-floor towers, combined with the old lava-to-cobble structures for walls. I did borrow one complex double-door piston build from YouTube just because it was a cool way to drop and kill the collected mobs. Eventually I ran out of ideas, lost the computer that stored the map my wife and I played on, and stopped playing.

Even that is just too much thinking for me. I did a redstone door back in like 2010 and I haven’t touched it since. There’s a lot of effort and complicated principles involved in Minecraft houses (build into stuff, don’t be cubic, detailing, etc.) that feel like I need an architecture degree to make them.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I ended up just spending another 10 bucks even though I had an account back in 2010.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Has anyone seen any Minecraft clones attempt to use octrees instead of basic arrays for storing where stuff is? Basically minecraft but with arbitrarily huge/tiny blocks?

:laffo: It really just uses arrays for everything? For a massive 3D structure like that? God, what a nightmare that must be.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Minecraft stores your block data on disk within flat arrays of a few bytes per block. They're all organized on three axes into partitions -- chunks.

Arrays aren't that bad of an idea; they have O(1) lookup and instant neighborhood queries. You could even store your octrees as arrays too, just a bunch of sparse ones, one per scale, and have that same benefit. IMO the crux of the matter is to try drawing things at more than one possible scale, which Minecraft did not attempt.

Buttcoin purse posted:

And it compresses them on disk, and also when sent over the network if I recall correctly, so the storage requirements aren't as bad as they could be.

That’s not too bad, I guess.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Minecraft devs see people talking about bees in mods, are like “WOW BEES HOT SELL BEES GOOD MARKET” and they do that and no one gives a poo poo. Minecraft dumb.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Blind Duke posted:

My eternal complaint since bricks were added, why are you not dumping a metric load of these things in. Marbles and fancy candles and proper tables and seats you can sit on you can see the things people are trying to build with pistons and stairs just give us something anything it doesn't need to be complex just some textures gently caress

Notch’s lovely code probably made it hard, I don’t know. Post-Microsoft, probably lost the “how much money will this make us” war, since that’s how development projects are prioritized by project management in software.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Uh, it’s called Minecraft, it’s not like you mine in caves or something. :smuggo:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Who could have even predicted that when Microsoft bought this IP that development would nearly stop on it ever since. Not even lose its intended spirit or sell out, but just stop. With all of their spare resources to devote, all that they paid, all the low level programmers who'd be happy to work on such a famous project. It says something about corporations in 2019 that even with all that going for the situation they still chose "sitting on valuable investment and charging rent" over "producing anything of value".

Sounds like capitalism to me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Minecraft as a game is pretty dead outside of modding, and modding ain’t that great. I really genuinely wonder what people are still fuckin’ doing in this game, given that there really hasn’t been much new stuff to discover for a long time.

Has anyone ran the numbers on people who play the game vs. people who stream/LP it + the number of their viewers? Is Minecraft a spectator sport now?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What do the Minecrafts do, exactly? As far as I can tell, no real changes are made regularly outside of "add bees" and "water not awful".

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there a better way to find diamonds in vanilla than by digging down to Y12 and strip mining in a single direction? I've easily spent an hour and a half and have only found a couple.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Well, by strip mining, I specifically mean the 1x2 tunnel. Though I haven't been making them like that...I'll see if I can adjust!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Okay, so my next question is whether there's a better way to try and find villages aside from just walking in one direction and hoping there's one there. The game gets quite boring when most of it is just walking around and not finding anything, and I get antsy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I feel like I've asked this before but every mob farm design I've seen is massive and kind of unreliable (have to light up every cave nearby or some bullshit). Is there a nice simple efficient mob farm I can make that doesn't require building some insane Space Needle-looking motherfucker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

uncertainty posted:

There are a lot of different options, what kind of thing are you looking for, specific items, xp, just the challenge? The simplest would be finding an abandoned mineshaft and building something around a mob spawner. For all other options, the mobs that can spawn in your farm will be limited by the mob cap and too many mobs outside of your farm will prevent them from spawning in your farm. That means either lighting up, building really high, or building in/above an ocean.

Really, all I need is a bunch of string for a bunch of dispensers and thereby a wheat farm, and I don't want to have to spend hours looking for an abandoned mineshaft.