Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

OP, can you remove the Minepedia link; I don't see any activity there except spambots. I think it's dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Aside from messing with your video settings, you could drift over to the mod thread and ask about OptiFine.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

What happens if you don't die?

e: also is there a requirement to do any sort of accompanying post or anything like that?

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Emailed. I'll make a fresh .minecraft folder for this, because I don't want to inadvertently screw something up for the next guy.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Danyull posted:

Welp, a creeper surprised me while I was building a house and took me out in one hit. It's off to you, Intl Cron (who I just realized I forgot to add to the player list.)

Die quickly, my fellow crafters. I want to play this before the whole idea falls apart.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Jelly posted:

Well you're all probably familiar with the Scrolls / Elder Scrolls lawsuit Bethesda filed. Notch apparently wants to settle via Quake 3 deathmatches:

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/903825...ets-settle-this

Bottom of last page.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Where are we on the chain world? I haven't seen anything in a while and I don't want it to die.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

If Danyull doesn't come back I'd be happy to take over.

e: Last time Danyull updated, the world was passed to Abortion Is Uummy. He died right away so it should have gone to Estel. Paging Estel! Did you ever get it?

King Hotpants fucked around with this message at Aug 22, 2011 around 21:55

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

e: I'm a dumbass who also cannot read.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Danyull posted:

Still trying to find a good mapping program before I send off the map to the next person, any suggestions?

Try Overviewer. Do you know your way around a command line?

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

I'm curious. The guys who are saying you shouldn't drop stuff on death, what is the incentive to walk back to your house instead of jumping off a cliff or giving a creeper a hug so you can fast-travel home?

Personally I think the fear of death adds something to this game, but it only does that if there are consequences for dying. If you respawn in your bed with all of your stuff, why is death bad?

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Vib Rib posted:

That's just it. Fear of death should be there. I appreciate that. The threat of it, that danger, is very motivating.
But when that threat is actually called in, when you actually do die, the penalty is such that it's never enjoyable for me. Especially if you fall in goddamn lava.

But you're not supposed to enjoy dying. That's the point. It makes you not want to die.

Dropping all of your stuff into a chest before you start working near lava is part of the game, as is kicking yourself the one time that you don't do it and end up dead. That internal debate you have when your inventory is full up with good stuff and you're low on health, wondering if you should head home or keep mining? That's part of the game too. Risk versus reward. Having to run back to that spot, frantic, hoping to get there before your items despawn, adds tension. You're charging back into an area that you know to be dangerous, since it just killed you. But if you don't, you lose everything. The trick is, it's nothing you can't get back eventually--the same stuff is available pretty much everywhere. You just have to dig for it.

Unless Notch and Company do something drastic with experience, I don't see losing it being a huge penalty--I've lived this long without experience, after all. I'm not trying to say that you're doing it wrong or playing incorrectly or whatever, but I know that I would not still be playing Minecraft if Survival were just glorified Creative and there was no risk of loss.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Not a Twat posted:

No, it makes me (and many others) not want to play.

And this is where we disagree.

The way I see it, losing your stuff on death is the only real penalty Minecraft can impose. Your character is exactly the same five seconds after spawn as he is five hours after spawn, the only difference being the items you have with you. In other games you don't lose your inventory, but in other games there are other, more efficient ways to penalize you, whether that's progress or failing a mission or whatever.

Obviously none of us know exactly how the experience system is going to work, but that might become an efficient way to penalize people for dying. For now, though, there's no other option.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I hope for your sake that Creative mode is also available in multiplayer, then you'll never have to worry about anything ever again.

Let's not be mean. We disagree, that's all. Also, I love your username.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

FirePhoenix posted:

I'd rather they hold back 1.8 than release it full of bugs. Glad they're having the sense to do it that way.

The way they're doing it is kind of brilliant, really. Impatient people still get to play while people who just care about stability don't get nagged with an update prompt until it's really done. I hope they do it this way from now on, as it seems to be working out well for them--there's minimal whining from the peanut gallery.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Mulefisk posted:

I get the feeling that notch is in a way trying to 'outdo' the modders, while what would obviously be the best thing for minecraft as a game is if all the best and amazing mods were just bought up and added to the game.

What would he be buying, though?

The code? He'd have to re-write most if not all of it -- a lot of modders are terrible coders (no Notch jokes, now; you're missing the point). It might even be faster to start from scratch.

The idea? We'll pretend for a moment that this idea holds any water, even though most mod ideas are already highly derivative of other existing works that Notch is obviously also inspired by. Okay, so who does he pay? There are like five potion mods, does he have to "buy" all of them? What makes one more valid than the other? The Aether came after the original skylands dimension that Notch announced, messed with, and then removed, so who owns the idea for that one?

I don't think "buying" existing mods would obviously be the best thing for Minecraft at all. I think it would only reinforce the sense of self-import that some of these jokers seem to have.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Eiba posted:

He also mentioned that repairing an enchanted weapon removed the enchantments... which did just about as much to kill my interest in that feature.

This is true; I found that out the hard way. Kind of a pain in the rear end.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

I built a nice little fortress and do my potion brewing down there. This also gives my Nether Wart a chance to grow. I have to import the water bottles, but it's not hard - I built a little well next to my portal in the overworld.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

poemdexter posted:

Cool stuff

Also, if I understand it right, if you go the complete source code route and two mods make changes to the same class, you're boned.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

quote:

Many of you may ask why we decided to work with bukkit instead of other Minecraft teams, such as Spout or Forge. The reason is that we want more than just modding, and these guys have always had server admins in mind when developing their additions to the game. We hope that this will help the quality of Minecraft multi-player to improve, both for large and private family servers, while still being able to add fun stuff for the bigger audience.

from Mojang.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

simosimo posted:

Works great! Managed to re-find my village again yipee!

I love minecraft...but I find playing singleplayer isn't the same. Me and a friend have hosted a server between us, but I have to run, and it can only run when I am online (so no one else can play)

Is there a way (Free) to somehow run a local PERSISTENTLY ONLINE server somehow? Even if it is under my own web hosting, not sure how that would work. FTPs or something?!

The obvious answer is if you have a spare PC sitting around, you just throw the server on there and run it. Otherwise, no, you need to pay for hosting. Akliz is pretty great and their cheapest plan is three bucks a month.

I mean, come on. Three bucks. You have three bucks.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

simosimo posted:

Certainly do!

But are there limits and such. I doubt it would be more than 2-3 people at one time. Can you not go exploring much as the world would be bigger and etc etc?

Also I am UK based, would this be laggy for us? (the above people i mean)

Crash Bandicoot posted:

Just wanted to say that the server I have with you guys is great. It works lag-free for a bunch of UK players, the amount of customisability is awesome and I like your prices.

The support guys are awesome too, really helpful and they know way more than me about Minecraft admin so their assistance is really appreciated. It's been a while since I saw support staff that were more than useless phone drones.

Thanks a bunch, I'll keep using you guys until all my players get bored and quit.

I'm starting to sound like Akliz's marketing department, but it ought to work fine. Low RAM servers won't be as able to run bukkit or use a bunch of plugins or mods but should be perfectly okay for 2-3 people playing vanilla.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3419908

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Baronjutter posted:

There's a lot of minecraft server hosts out there with vastly different prices and some with questionable reputations. Is this a case of "get what you pay for" or are there some recommended hosts out there?

Akliz is well thought-of around here. I was with them for about a year and I have no complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Also known as a "flaming nerdpole."

Seriously, easiest way to do this is either leave a torch trail back home or simply write down your coordinates. I always forget to do it, though, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me.