Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I miss playing MC. Unless someone releases a rewrite done in a real language in the next couple of weeks I'm stuck. My netbook hasn't run it acceptably since maybe beta 1.7 and the desktop doesn't work to well without a functional motherboard. drat slow postage. I tried Terraria and it doesn't fill the MC hole :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Shnakepup posted:

Can anyone explain, in non-programmer terms, why this makes such a difference? I don't understand why the game would run that much different. I mean, for the most part, the player is the only one changing the landscape? It's not like there's erosion or something constantly altering the landscape without the player being involved.

I'll have a stab at it, as a programmer I'm corrupted. There are a few reasons that MC is slow besides being poorly programmed and in java.

Imagine you are in your favourite FPS. Ever seen through the landscape for whatever reason? Your world is a wafer thin artifice. The game only needs to check dynamic objects like you, other players, random crap etc. against each other and this landscape. It's a bit more complex with the newer games with destructible terrain but forget them for now.
In MC your world is not a shell. It's a world full of an utterly insane amount of cubes. These cubes are in a sense new world voxels except they aren't stored in a nice static immutable CPU non-intensive pre calculated tree. They are held in a massive chunk of memory.
A voxel is like a 3D pixel, dig? It's an atom. The smallest component in the MC world. We have all these cubes on cubes, 128 (I think?) deep and shooting off as far as your render distance goes. That is a lot of cubes that the computer needs to remember and keep track of. It also needs to work out which ones are visible to the player and render accordingly, and recalculate the lighting whenever conditions change. I believe there is also a "tick" where all the loaded blocks are scanned. If there wasn't lighting wouldn't update, lava and water wouldn't flow, and redstone wouldn't work.
The whole system is brute forced in MC. It takes a lot of resources to manipulate all that crap. Did I mention that air is also all blocks?

i can go into other reasons but that's a good start and I have to go now.

Just quickly, Optifine didn't really help me. I tried it a few days ago. I also haven't found much difference between Sun Java in Win7 starter and OpenJDK in linux. Yes my netbook dual boots, and Windows is really only there for the very occasional game and because my netbook came with it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Elysiume posted:

My current strategy for dealing with them is hope they get stuck behind something. And then I leave them there. Combat in Minecraft sucks.

Yes it does. And the fact that a 2 high dirt wall is enough to discourage all but spiders is really a demotivator for me to build fortified dwellings etc. I want different strength materials to actually have a point!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

YOURFRIEND posted:

Is it spergier to go with the utilitarian option for dealing with things, or to make a big fort?

I want to build big forts etc. but my imagination relies on practicality. I usually end up with a network of crappy little huts with a bed, chest, workbench and furnace. Usually one built near every resource type, or within a day's trek. Quite often they have a ladder or stairwell so the night can be spent mining precious ores. On nearby vantage points sometimes I use the excess cobble to build lighthouses of a sort so I never get lost.
There is no incentive for me to really fortify, and that makes me sad :(
However it hasn't stopped me from creating clever ways to do things. One of my creative maps has an area I dubbed Aperture Labs.
The entire area is devoted to convoluted ways of killing things and making life difficult.
Among the things there are a couple of hallways of death. One designed to stomp everything flat, and another with pistons above and below with a ripple that it's possible to run through if you get your timing right.
I also accidentally invented a rapidfire pressure plate triggered arrow dispenser, a minecart based catch and dispatch system for mobs which sweeps them up around the compound and sends them on a rapid ride of suffocation.
What else... Oh a house with a switch in it. The switch is linked to a network of hidden redstone wiring. When it is flipped, an array of pistons retract exposing a lava moat.

On no :( I just realised that my SMP hidden railway diversion was lost in the hard drive corruption. That was the best of all. It was a redstone nightmare which did the following:

There was an above ground town with a railroad around it. where the rail cuts through the forest there is a surprise. Where it takes a right turn, the minecarts don't. There is a trigger track and delay circuits which for a fraction of a second
snap open a sticky piston entrance in the ground to the left with which went down to the subterranean city. It also switched the track to the left at the right moment. It left the rider thinking "WTF just happenend?". It also had the requisite circuitry to open the hidden dirt trapdoor again for the ride up, but not switch the track direction so the minecart could continue on its one way voyage.

Now, before MC went gold, I was playing with Fador's Mineserver. While not fully featured it was written in C++ and had a plugin API of sorts. I was just starting to make mobs which could interact with their world, because dammit I want Zombies that can smash glass and skellies that can open doors. Also creepers that when in groups decide that one should take one for the team when you are spotted but inaccessible. Ie. Oh there you are inside your house. BOOM! and in come the rest of the party.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Those are some nice structures!

Still waiting on the motherboard to arrive. The time window for receiving packages today is pretty much closed. Maybe next week :(

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Bicehunter posted:

Weeell, I did code alot of opengl and software engines in c++ back in the days (1996:ish to 2003-4 I guess). I've been doing some opengl on and off since then, trying out all the fancy new fragmentshader and vertexshader thingies.

But here comes the bomb ;) Since I work with programming and I use java daily this is actually written in java using jogl. Now this is my experience with gl in c++ vs gl in java. Every command you send to the pipe is more expensive, that means if you do stuff with glVertex3f or what not inside a glbegin and glend you'll die and starve the gpu because sending the data chokes on the cpu because of sending the data from java down thru all layers is a big thief. The speedup I got from using VBO's for chunk rendering is IMMENSE and no occlusion culling is in yet so that will speed up things even more (and occlusion culling is also done on the gpu with little data needed to be pushed and fetched from it). There is no real overhead activating textures if you don't do it to often, neither are other seldom used commands.. the big thief is pushing vertexs/colors/normals to the gpu thru the cpu with java.

What I got so far is a oct-tree + frustrum culling + precalculation on what chunks are totally hidden by other chunks. Each chunk contains VBO's for each different textured visible cubes, that is, if there are x amount of blocks that are visible and these x blocks belong to y block-types then there will be y amount of vbos where the x blocks will be distributed..

Playing around with grid-size (the datastructure holding all the single blocks) vs the chunksize can yield interesting results and I think they will also vary between hardware.. big chunks uploaded as VBO's might actually be a boost compared to smaller chunks beeing culled with frustrum culling and even removed from the scan by beeing invisible.

I tried this stuff on my laptop that has a 8600M gpu (the laptop version of 8600 series) and it had no problem rendering a 256^3 grid with 16^3 chunks.

When I get occlusion culling in place I will also at the same time enable transparent block types because that fits sorta nice into what I plan on doing for occlusion culling (sorting chunks by distance from camera).

Sorry about skipping the next few pages. i made it to this post and poo poo moves fast. If you are using octrees what are you doing about recalculation? Isn't that pretty expensive?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Bicehunter posted:

Octrees are down to chunks, ie chunks are the oct-trees leaf. Oct-trees are so nice with boxes (that is, cubes ;) since well.. everything is boxes. So, the oct-tree can keep information like if it is visible from occlusion culling on the chunks and bubble it up and put all childrens possible chunks in the "render as occluded" list to check if any of them is visible again.

You also do frustum culling on the octrees to skip regions. My octrees aren't very deep and this is also where I do some "testing" to see what might be optimal size.. currently on my rig at home I run 512^3 grid with 32^3 chunks. On my 8600M GS laptop I have 256^3 with 16 or 32^3 chunks with no problem. But.. as I said, the VBO issue might break this ;) I don't know, still just trying poo poo out.

i will catch up, I swear. Not tl;dr just haven't read ahead yet and don't want to lose this post in the 300 odd posts after it.

Even if no-one else does, I get what you are saying. I think. To be honest it's only the first sentence I don't quite get. But yes octrees are wonderful for cubes. Plus what you are doing is kind of a hybrid voxel engine. MINECRAFT IS NOT loving VOXELS! just saying that to the general public, not you. but given that you are utilizing octrees for three dimensional space (classic voxel tech) but choosing to utilize 3D acceleration to take the hard part out of drawing (perspective, Z ordering etc) and have the added advantage of texture mapping it's really win / win.

I'll be honest one of the reasons I've gotten an nVidia gfx card is so I can fiddle with the parallelism that CUDA can give. Why? For pretty much what you're doing except I want to make that GPU loving melt with pleasure doing what it does best. Massaging large datasets and mathematical operations. Shove what I can on to the card and let the CPU worry about the important stuff. Do I care if only people with CUDA can use it? No. It's just for me.

Carry on, people.

By the by, if I seem a little cranky it's because I'm stranded, wasting time using the lovely Wi-fi at McDonalds.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

BitBasher posted:

Look, all of you are overthinking it. At it's absolute best the world of minecraft isn't a sphere or a torus or a ring.

It's a big loving cube.

Exactly. There is also no reason why cube word gravity can't reflect this... besides computational restraints.
Before anyone jumps in and says it, don't even think of singular point based gravity for a cube system unless you want to deal with the inevitable funnel effect or violent stair stepping when you hit the intersection of the sides of the gravitational cube.

I don't really know how to get across what I'm trying to say succinctly so I'll resort to a poor analogy.
Imagine you have a cube. each side of it has an attractive force in one axis only. In that form it'd be like having six gravitational lasers, only active for a point. So instead imagine you have a cube of force which expands outward. So like say the force cube is size 1x1x1. move out from it a bit and we have a force cube of 2x2x2. really poo poo easy to calculate with distance calculations. Might as well chuck in the proper gravitational formula. It's been years so forgive me if I'm wrong. I think it's the sqrt of distance or something like that?

This model would work fine for "cuberoids" except for one problem with falling. There's a funnel effect at the bounds of the force cube sides. So let's say you are playing jetpack and switch it off. Let's also say there's a force cube with no asteroid aroundit for simplicity. Unless you are directly over one of the directional axes of the force cube, you will end up at the intersection of one or two of the directions and get dragged along that diagonal until you hit the center. That could make fora really annoying game mechanic.

BUT (drat that's a big but) if you take into account some kind of arbitrary mass for the player and have proper three dimensional inertia, and don't screw with the inertial axes when you cross over gravitational planes it could partially alleviate the funneling and allow for fun rounded square orbits.
It may also be worth adding atmospheric drag to prevent problems with entropy.

Don't freak out about the camera. Just have the player character do a nice rotate in relation to the strongest source of gravity, not a union of multiple gravitational components because that would make for some weird behaviour.

So cubeworld gravity should be possible with a few tweaks plus a few physics hacks for the sake of gameplay.

edit: Holy poo poo that reads like I'm totally contradicting myself. What I'm tryingto say I guess is cube gravity can be done but with caveats.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Motherf... I picked up the graphics card today. 8800GTX. I know, old lol but I'm poor so stfu and I'd prefer something older and high end over something new and low end. Consistent performance and all that. Just tried to put it in and it won't fit in the loving case. Hard drive bays are totally in the way. Even if by some miracle the card fit in between the sides of the bay, the PCI-e power connectors would be blocked off. Damnit. I was going to shove it in, crack open MC and use it for what i usually do. A standard system performance metric. Considering it's such a clunky beast it's really great for a rough benchmark. It's like Crysis but without the ...everything.

edit: XTG... wtf. Never knew XTree Gold supported hardware acceleration. Fixed.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

blastron posted:

I played Minecraft on an 8800GT for quite a while before I upgraded, it works flawlessly... the thing is, Minecraft is CPU-bound, not GPU-bound, if you get poor framerates in Minecraft it's likely because you need more RAM or a faster CPU, not because you don't have a fast enough card.

At least, I'm pretty sure it's CPU bound after all of the optimization work that's been done to fix Notch's lovely "let's make a new OpenGL batch for every triangle" code.

It's a bit of both. But I will say that a crappy graphics chipset really does make the game suffer.

Given how slowly it runs I would have believed someone if they told me the OpenGL was 100% rendering in software. I don't know if the slowness is an artifact of writing it in Java or just through super bad planning.
This kind of flows on to my current situation. I was going to throw together a clone with some interesting features for fun and practice, only using C/C++. I am currently stranded for for maybe 16-20 hours a week far away from home and nothing to do. It seemed like a great opportunity to reboot my software development and perhaps make something marketable. Doing this at Mc.D's really sucks and everything else is closed because of the hour. Then comes my catch-22 plan. Finish off my VW camper and register it so I have a place to work in peace and a place to sleep (I have to get up early after these lovely nights). Trouble is to do this I need to re-register it. To do that I need money. Money that I planned on earning by making some playable games that people may enjoy. Well... I'm sure the inherent problem with my plan is obvious.
When I had a bit of spare time around Xmas I hacked together an openGL / GLUT simple move around in 3D space thing. I can write MC style block stuff until my eyes bleed but displaying it was the issue so I thought I'd do things rear end backwards to the way I usually do and implement a way of seeing what's going on first.
usually I write an engine that is happy to tick away on its own, then gradually add more interesting ways of displaying what's going on.

Anyway I'm going to go back to sulking about the graphics card. I don't have enough time today to do a case transplant. I even considered cutting around the offending drive bay. It has large radius rolled edges so that's out. Besides I don't want to wreck this case. Guess I'll have to go back to the lovely window side modder case. Some tek screws should hold that heap together a while longer.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
The results are in on the 8800gtx graphics card. Using the builtin Geforce 6 based shitheap I could run MC 1.1 in a default sized window, all options turned up at a choppy but acceptable-ish framerate. With the 8800GTX it runs fullscreen (1920x1080), all options turned up at an acceptable framerate. Not butter smooth but very playable.

So, this shows that to a degree the graphics chipset does matter with MC. Personally I would have thought my Geforce 4 MX 420 (geforce 3) would have possessed more than adequate ability but no, apparently not.

Referring to that, 1.1 runs at roughly the same speed on my 1.6GHz Atom powered netbook with intel graphics, as it did on a 1.6GHz P4 with the MX420. Which was by the way unplayably slow. That's with everything disabled via optifine.
Around 1.7ish it all took a massive speed dump. Before that it ran fine on my netbook.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I just found a bug in the snapshot. Stop laughing. I sent a message already anyway.

It's in the world creation menu. I can only speculate that there's a timer missing for graphics or something. In the world creation menu I noticed the computer emitting a high pitched whine. As soon as I left the menu it stopped. Tried again, same result. Pitch changed a little with different options selected like peaceful, hardcore etc. Whatever was going on was beating the poo poo out of the GPU. The temperature went up by 10*C in maybe 5 seconds. So FYI get your world set up quickly because that poo poo can't be good for the hardware.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

thehustler posted:

It's the capacitors on your motherboard/graphics card/whatever - Minecraft has done this for me in the past and it freaks me out.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98227

Well, yes. I'm pretty drat sure it's the graphics card sucking every last watt it can from the power supply. So apparently 450W isn't quite enough...but that's not the issue. It's a menu that does this. just one. Not in game or anything. Just a lovely old menu. There is something really hosed in its coding.

In contrast I can play minecraft in ..ah 19something by 1080 full screen with everything maxed out and it doesn't do that.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I seem to recall that it was like the Starcraft II menu, where they had forgotten to impose a hard FPS cap so that your GPU didn't melt itself rendering 250 FPS. Could be wrong.

That's more or less my theory. I think something was left out in the world creation menu, timer or whatever, causing the hardware to go into full crysis mode in that one circumstance.

It's not monitor whine although the behaviour when changing button options making the sound change is strongly reminiscent of it. My Apple IIgs makes similar, lower pitch sounds through the speakers (in a C= 1084DS monitor) in the desktop. But there are no speakers currently connected. The monitor is a new Acer LCD which seems to be silent, plus the location of the sound is unmistakably coming from somewhere in the case.
So whatever it is, it is making the graphics card scream in pain.

Just out ofcuriosity I ran GLXGears solely because it tries to render as many FPS as possible. 9000+FPS and no whine.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I just want a menu configurable sea level. Well, okay what I would like is really a few things but that would be nice. And the ability to spawn a village in worldedit.

Creative plus a bit of editing time and I could have Rapture, Minecraft style.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I saw the mentions of no caves in the snapshot so I went looking. drat :(

);
I swear I have somelatent sperg in me. Can't have an open without a close or it bugs the poo poo out of me.

My adventure also told me that "Radium" is one of the most boring seeds ever. At least it had a nice little rainforest I guess. By the way, when were vines made climbable?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I now want nether portals to work like Portal portals where you can see exactly whats on the other side and you have to deal with ghasts looking in to the other side.

This. I remember when portals were first mentioned and people were excited by the concept of laying a minecart track through it. I see absolutely no reason why they can't do a transparent portal / partial nether loading system.

Another cool feature of that would be that portals would have to be very carefully considered because once they are built, the legions are free to inhabit the normal world, so it'd need to be in a fortified building or whatever. Let's pretend the AI would actually do that by the way.

Anyone remember that the server used to have a hellworld mode? I really miss that. I'd create a normal world, then set that flag. It was like end of days. Topside with trees aflame and nether mobs roaming the landscape.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

feigning interest posted:

Where do Pigmen go when they die?
They don't go to The End where the dragon flies,
They go to a lake of fire and fry

They go into my belly. Mmm. Pre-cooked pork.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I voted on that Mojang poll of what game they are to make for that stupid moJam thing. Looks like most people don't want to see them make a racing game. I would have loved to see the result of that.

Oh ffs. The mouse keeps going to sleep. I know the power supply is borderline but seriously?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
A side effect of caveless word is that a dungeon that tries to spawn near a stronghold will connect to it. I had a nice one attach itself nicely behind a dead end door.

I miss playing MC online but after beta 1.7 it kind of fell apart for me. It looks like the snapshot is going in the right direction at least. I really do like those rainforests and climbable vines. I built a treehouse.

To be honest I actually like the direction that indie MC like game on XBL is going. Goddamn it give me spikes, C4 and a grenade launcher in MC!
Shhh... I'm not allowed to have it because I'm Aussie.

I know I came here to say something else. I'm sick and it's hot. Brain not working too good.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Oddly I've found that Radium and Unununium both spawn me near a pumpkin patch.

Anyhow I have a semi related question. I just downloaded the newest nVidia OpenGL drivers for linux. Was going to try them out. Will it screw with MC at all?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Well, I'm back after my driver adventure. Eventually I got X back again. urgh.

I had no idea there was a CA ruins mod. That's pretty cool. If mineserver wasn't deprecated I'd have things like that kicking around. But sadly I have no desire to work with a screwy set of APIs and Java. My nice C++ option disappeared.

In other news I just got the basics of my "3D engine" straightened out enough that it isn't totally crazy, so I can start experimenting. Maybe dust off some of my headless linked list based code I wrote, but couldn't display so I don't know if it works.
that's right. I'm going to knock up another half-assed clone. Only I'm doing it backward to every other project I have ever done.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This game would be the absolute greatest if I could recreate Elevator Action. My god.

What an amazing idea!

I'd still like to do Wolf3D admittedly.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Can't attach in an edit. Well, been experimenting. This is 4x4x4. I suspect the golden ratio for Wolf3D would be 5x4x5. Haven't tried it yet. My little boy wants my attention.

Oh poo poo cursor. prtscr'd it instead of f-whatever. Was a bit pressed for time.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

You should just be able to stick redstone and mine track to the sides of blocks.

And ride minecarts vertically.

or use ladders as vertical minecart tracks.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

That doesn't make any sense at all.

What's your point? Anyway it'd need some kind of vertical minecart-alike lift platform.

Whatever. Anyway here's another quick screenshot

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

I absolutely love these, and if you end up making episode 1 (or even E1M1) please, PLEASE upload it for me/us to play.

That was sort of my plan. It was to be for me, but if there is another person in the world that cares for B. J. and his Nazi slaying capers still I do feel a bit more motivated to share. My "level" is a little bigger than what is shown, but mostly because I was seeing if reality compared to what was in my head. Ages back I realised that MC had pretty much everything for a Wolf3D level in one way or another. The only things that have really stopped me are: keys, doors and push walls. I just don't know how to do a decent replication of any of these.

On a rambling arc here I was playing Voxelstein yesterday and realised that Ace of Spades had a similar sort of feel to it. Then today in some stuff I was researching I found out they both use the Voxlap engine. For those unfamiliar with either, Voxelstein is pretty self explanatory, but Ace of Spades is essentially a MC like FPS. but unlike MC, it actually uses voxels, and thanks to the Voxlap engine has gravity physics for detached objects.
I was just kind of surprised because the whole thought process went more or less full circle. MC -> Wolf3d -> Voxelstein -> Ace of Spades -> MC.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Did he really make the yogscast people pay their own travel/lodging expenses, and then blackball them? If that's true... that's incredible.

The overworld/hud maps are reason enough to use minecraft mods. Hell, the main interface has a big button for texture packs. I'm sure a lot of people never screwed around with Quake 1 mods either, but what really gave Quake it's legs is the modding community that grew up around it. Half Life 1 is essentially a total conversion mod for Quake 1, at it's core. Never, ever discount the modding community.

Father Frag's Best. Anyone else remember that? Pretty much a scripted short movie using the Quake engine. That really opened my eyes to what was possible.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Shadowmorn posted:

This is a genuinely interesting derail and highlights how awesome the internet can be :3:
We are living in that bright future that people expected 50 years ago, its just abit less shiny and lacks jetpacks. And some people insist on trying to gently caress it up but hey, thats humanity.

1.2 is currently bigger worlds, jungles and cats right? Anyone know if the bigger worlds also applies to The End and the Nether? I'd love to build a skyscraper in The End and claim "it kinda just fell in there one day."

Assuming The End is unfucked. Went there this week and it was just a little square of land, 4x4 or so at spawn. About 2 seconds later I was falling. The dragon knocked me off.
Glad I was just screwing around in creative but still.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

D34THROW posted:

You could run it as a local server on your home network using a spare computer if you have one. I fooled around with that idea a bit way back when and it worked out quite well.

Exactly. Or on the same one. I did that a lot.

I was just having a fly around in a creative map (seed:"Porkchop") and noticed something. Dimples in terrain features and small air pockets under the ground. I think the recursive cave building isn't doing its recursion. looks like one, or maybe even a couple of iterations and the algorithm dies. Also not a badseed if you want a rainforest near spawn and want a few jaggy hills.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

JamSessionEin posted:

So I put up a very basic server where I'm toying around with a couple concepts for a possible Lindblum / Rapture / Columbia build server. I know there's a server subforum, but this isn't a permanent thing, just someplace for me to dick around on until I get a more permanent setup.

The IP is 24.184.36.89

I'm testing an airlock design that'd work for between buildings in a potential Rapture reboot at the moment, as well as a couple random builds just to see if I remember what the hell I'm doing. If anyone's bored and wants to come hang out and just prototype poo poo with me, feel free to hop on.

Tried to had a look. End of stream in about 10 sec. Rapture is a word forwhat I saw. looks like end of days at spawn.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Nenonen posted:

There's probably a way... a way more labourious way unless he's going to do the entire W3D mapset, though.

To answer both, I'm sure it could easily be scripted using the worldedit scripting and making macros of each 4x6*x4 block. The WL1 and WL6 files from the shareware and full version respectively aren't exactly a mystery in their composition so yes it should be possible.
But no. I did it by hand. As you can see in creative so I could fly around and plop blocks. If you were to turn right from that photo you'd see a barred exit to the outside world, and behind you is a hallway with the contents of the first picture in it and a join to the 3x3 experiment.

It's really very easy if you can count to four and have Wolfenstein 3D etched into your subconscious.

Because you like it here's a bit of pixel art I did for a pixel quilt on deviantart many, many years ago. Through some amazing fluke I had it in my pictures directory.

*(4+floor and ceiling)

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Iacen posted:

From what I can gather from Jeb's twitter, he has implemented inverted stairs, for decoration. And some sort of new texture function.
I can't wait for this update!

Has he implemented caves?? I'd like that.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

I would kill to be the sound designer for MC, and for them to install some sort of actual audio engine aside from just playing the events. Nighttime in a forest biome would have crickets chirping. Swamp biomes would have a ton of stuff. A snowy biome would be mostly silent, aside from some wind. I've seen a few youtube videos of sound added in after the fact, and I just gush.

Oh, yes. I was playing BF:BC2 campaign last night with the Turtle Beach headphones on. A necessity with ears as lovely as mine. I was absolutely enthralled with the ambient sounds in the jungle. It's amazing how much difference background sounds can make. I'd also love to have the sound of a chilly wind whipping around sporadically in snow etc. Really add to it all.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Just tried the latest snapshot. If you love jungles, interesting archipelagos etc, try "Porrasturvat". not the game, the seed. Don't think there is much jungle in stair dismount.
I was flying around scouting out this seed, looking for signs of caves or a village as I usually do when new feature hunting and realised it isn't a bad seed. If you like jungle.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

kas posted:

I'm in the process of working on the new golems, but gonna try and have the 1.2 update stuff on Painterly before 1.2 goes live. I've got a handful of new biome triangles I wanna make, and the golems left, and then it's just fairly minor (but somewhat time consuming) coding to do.

I think the most exciting 2 golems I'm working on are the Laputa golem, and a giant robot. :)

Laputa Golems all the way!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Sorry I haven't tackled the Wolf3D thing. Been sick, then run down, then helping out with flooding. So, yeah. haven't updated MC in a while either now I think of it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I just created a throwaway world to test some things in. I was expecting the bog standard endless plains etc. but was absolutely gobsmacked by what was generated. Massive jungle, interesting mountainous terrain, alpine area etc.
if I weren't somewhat over-allocated financially, I would have a server with this seed for SMP. But I am so I'm not.

the seed is: TestCraft

With that capitalization. Spawn point is in a mountainous jungle near a pond and with a deep pit nearby. The jungle goes on for ages. There's a stream cutting through the mountains too.

I suppose if you were a Star Wars nut you could do an Endor theme. It's the biggest jungle I've seen to date.

just found a hillside village at 276, 805 with no farmland. Spoilered for those who like discovering for themselves.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 6, 2012

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ak Gara posted:

I was wondering what's the bottleneck on Minecraft?

:notch: pretty much.
Minecraft will take everything it's given and want more. I think a modern medium tier graphics card should be adequate. The SSD will get a flogging too. Perhaps some sort of caching setup on a RAMdrive would help? Why does that capitalization look so strange?
It will also eat CPUs for breakfast especially with render distance set to far while looking over undiscovered terrain.
So pretty much as high as possible for all specs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

ruro posted:

Are there any seeds that generate terrain above the cloud level, or is this just not possible? I really want to make a dwarf fortress with bridges between mountains above the cloud layer in the snow biome so I can look down through the clouds but all the seeds I've tried so far have no mountains that stretch above the clouds :(.

Am I going to have to edit some mountains in myself?
Every seed I've seen lops off mountaintops at about cloud level. i don't think the terrain generator is really Anvil compatible yet. Perhaps there are custom generators out there for it. I don't know. Personally I'd love taller mountains. I'd also be all over small craggy islands if there was something for that. Pirate World. Arrrr.