Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Chin posted:

Having watched the Yogscast panel video it seems likely that Notch was unhappy that the most popular attendees of :qq: HIS CONVENTION :qq: went on and on about how the community has made :qq: HIS GAME :qq: into so much more than he could and showed montages of community mods doing cooler things than he could ever come up with some of which he's straight ripped off and implemented in a less competent fashion. The little jabs at his work ethic and the stupid ending probably didn't help.

This is basically it. Nothing else makes any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Kind of wish Minecraft was lumped in with Skyrim and SR3 instead of having two megathreads.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Itzena posted:

And his point is?

Exactly. That one is kind of on the ball. Case in point. This whole debacle.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Kainser posted:

Why is he posting this in public.

why

Because he is an unprofessional nerd that doesn't know how to run a company?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

If this rant tells me anything, it is that there is more to the story than what Notch is saying.

Senator Woofington posted:

I forget how do I make minecraft launch through steam so that I get the steam overlay. I tried adding my minecraft.exe as a third party but it doesn't seem to give me the steam overlay.

Also great job Notch!

I have the same problem. :smith:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think Minecraft's biggest flaw is that it has ending text, but not opening text. Doesn't such an epic journey require an epic introduction? I came up with a simple one that I think fits well.

Just seeing the top of this image as I scrolled down, I began to hear the music in my head.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Jelly posted:

"A proper patch does good like a medicine; but a slew of bugs dries the bones."

Proverbs 17:22

I read this and some of the other quotes in Leonard Nimoy's voice, a la Civilization 4.

I hope we see major changes before the end of the year.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Enzer posted:

No, Jeb did not want to mess around with the world generation in the same patch that introduced the Anvil world format as well as try to make old 1.1 maps as compatible as possible with the new patch. Higher mountains is set to be a "maybe" at this point when he adds more new biomes, which thanks to Anvil, will be seamless as compared to every other patch that did anything to world generation.

Honestly, it might be better this way since it opens the door for a proper "mountain" biome. Yetis!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I like Doc's videos if only because I imagine that it is Arnold playing Minecraft when I watch. He even makes the Arnold noises when he get's flustered by something! Arhguarhguagh!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I am going to laugh if Guude has all this build up and he gets taken out by Baj or Doc by luck. If Baj can find some apples and a bit more gold, he can make a HUGE comeback.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Baj was amusing at first, but his gimmick kind of wore thin on me after a while. I did laugh at how remarkably on the spot he was at first, though. I could have swore that he was reading a transcript of man vs wild for the opening minutes.

It's been the opposite for me. At first it was somewhat funny, wore thin during the second episode, but has gotten progressively funnier as the videos have gone on.

That path map confirmed my suspicion that Beef and Kurt walked through the exact same biome within minutes of each other.

I agree that Guude is being really boring though.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I'm attributing Beef's death to tiredness. That was retarded and disappointing. Also, that storm pretty much screwed Kurt.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Just watched Baj's video I guess tiredness made him lose his mind too.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Al! posted:

The world needs more space games these days, even from one such as notch.

Remake Star Voyager from the NES.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Baj doesn't seem particularly interested in this season so far. So it wasn't too much of a shock or a loss to see him go.

I feel like this was way too rushed and I hope they do another one very soon after this one because so far it is kind of falling apart.

My dream season would be a replication of Alien vs. Predator 2's Survivor mode. Where one person would start out hunting the rest, and as he kills them, they join his team. The hunters would be allowed to respawn indefinitely, obviously. The survivors would need to complete one of those shrine tasks in the mean time, to win.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The obvious solution for this specific season was to have edited the team videos with split screens in 1080p and when something insane happens, make that screen bigger. It would have taken a lot more effort though.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

oddeye posted:

Yup. The last five minutes are worth watching from every perspective.

This is what I ended up doing. For the previous episodes, and even like the first half of the last episode, I only watched one perspective per team, only watching another if something actually seemed to happen elsewhere, but for those last few minutes, I ended up watching every single perspective, it was great.

They mentioned doing 4 teams of 2 possibly, but unfortunately, they also mentioned having 4 islands, or even worse doing FFA with 8 islands. :gonk:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

i like tacos posted:

I just found out about swigview from reddit. So if you're watching the Ultra Hardcore, you can watch all of them at the same time.
Here's Team Nancy Drew [Guude, Baj, Pause, Beef]
http://www.swigview.com/?size=640x3...u7=&u8=&simple=

And here's Team DOOKE [Etho, BdoubleO, Kurt, Docm]
http://www.swigview.com/?size=640x3...u7=&u8=&simple=

Just hit play all and mute all but one and the videos are already set to be synced with eachother. The only problem is sometimes, People stop recording so it gets out of sync in the middle of the video but only by a view seconds and you can adjust it.

This is goddamned amazing!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Fren posted:

Latest Ultra Hardcore episodes up: Guude, Baj, Pause, Beef and Etho, BdoubleO, Kurt, Docm.

I think the old-timers team is playing a much more cerebral game than the new-comers. Digging out a skele farm, planning to go to the nether, and so on. It's interesting that both teams are packing up to move to a different location, and I'm so anxious to find out what happens next.

Well, The old timers seem to have a decent enough lead in terms of supplies. The new guy's golden apple still doesn't even make them even. But if they did stay for some reason, they have a much bigger diamond and gold level cave system to exploit, which could take them into the lead more easily, perhaps.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Quick start is nice, and there is no reason what so ever not to add toggle-able features such as this.

I just wish that Survival mode had just a bit more in the way of objectives to it, that could be toggled before world creation. Like how some player maps have "Win altars" or whatever that you have to fill. It would be cool to have to scour the land for special items, like a scavenger hunt, culminating I guess with retrieving an item from the Nether and beating the dragon in the end zone. I suppose it might not work in an infinitely huge world, but what about a massive one? Maybe you could toggle world sizes for increased difficulty. Add in Ultra Hardcore toggles, and you have yourself a nice challenge mode.

About finite world size, I was wondering, what would be the possibility of a finite map, that, instead of having borders, simply looped, so if you go far enough east, you pop up in the western edge, etc? It wouldn't be a sphere, because I think that would present huge problems with chunks at smaller sizes. Just an endlessly looping plane?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

ColHannibal posted:

It could not be seamless, it would look like a big unloaded chunk that you walk into and it tp's you.

Well given the resources Minecraft currently has, sure I guess, but if a real API were developed or something, wouldn't it be possible to legitimately loop it?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Anyone got the multiview link?

Edit: I only have the link for Team DOOKE:
Kurt, Doc, Etho, Bdouble0

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 21, 2012

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Pause doesn't seem to have uploaded his video, which is probably why there are no swig links for his team. I made one, sans Pause, in case you are like me and can't wait.

Guude, Baj, Beef, Minus Pause

Baj's video doesn't seem to sync particularly well for me.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 21, 2012

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CaptainCaveman posted:

How would deer be any different than pigs/chickens/cows that spawn now? Or are you figuring they'd have a much higher spawn rate?

Deer would flee if you got too close or something. Boar would attack you if you attacked them first. Forests could have bears. Mountains could have goats. Then you get into biome specific rare spawns like a yeti, a death worm, a swamp creature, a sea monster, etc.

The game could also really use some more enemy variety now, especially with loot tables and enchanted items.

Revenant, chance to drop enchanted armor pieces/sword
Zombie warrior, chance to drop leather armor, iron sword (rarely enchanted)
Mummy, chance to drop alchemy related drops.

All of these could be uncommon spawns mostly tied to dungeons and the like.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 3, 2012

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The outright refusal to support higher res textures is starting to become slightly infuriating.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Question!

What is the simplest, most straight forward design for a mob grinder? The minecraft wiki has a bunch of designs, but the page also says that it contains out of date information that might have been since changed or removed from the game. :saddowns:

Also, I guess I could ask the same for an XP farm, in terms of simplicity. I would guess that a mob spawner in a a dungeon somewhere would be the simplest way to XP farm, but so far, I haven't found any spawners near my current home.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Wandering Knitter posted:

Okay, I'm new to the world of Minecraft and I have a question: How can you build a pool that doesn't have a current? I tried the "dig a hole one square deep, pour water in corners" but that didn't work. Am I missing something?

Every block pretty much has to be filled with water, though two water blocks filling into an empty block will create a full water block.

So W-E-W becomes W-W-W. Depending on the size of your pool, you are gonna need a lot of buckets.

Unless I am misunderstanding your question.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Ed Mungo posted:

I like using Unmined to find stuff: http://unmined.intro.hu/

Well this is the most amazing little thing I've seen for minecraft so far. YES! It also confirms that this world I spawned is INSANE with cave systems. It's just an absolute tangled mess of cave systems.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

Wait, 4 block-high falls no longer cause damage? Woah, that's a huge gameplay change.

Uhhh, this doesn't change the overall damage drop off does it? My mob farm!

Phobophilia posted:

Absolutely every world is infested with caves. They seem to be so much more common post 1.0. I remember caves being so much more difficult to find back in 1.6 (or maybe I just got better at the game). Mines and ravines just expose so much surface area that it's easier to find materials.

I opened the only other 1.2 map I had and noticed that pretty quickly. Kind of disappointing how common they are now.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I asked this in the other thread, but that thread moves a lot slower. Does anyone have a link for Sphax 128x 1.3 that isn't adfly? I tried to deadfly it but it gave me a file not found when I did.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Works for me. Hit me up: My SA username at gmail.

Question: Should I hold off on enchanting stuff until I patch? Also, I've stayed within a fairly small area on this map, so I shouldn't need to start over when the patch drops correct? I'm not particularly married to the area, or the base that I've built, so I don't mind wandering off to find better, newer lands (no NPC village in sight anyway) but I'd also rather not start from scratch.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 30, 2012

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

tinaun posted:

If you have already built your enchantment table and bookshelves and have enough levels for what you want, go for it. The only change in the enchants themselves in 1.3 is that it is now slightly more common to get multiple enchants on a single item. If you haven't buit bookshelves yet, or want to level up faster, wait for 1.3. (or get the prerelease)

I have the table, but only 7 shelves. I was thinking of tearing them down and moving them to a nicer room though.

vulturesrow posted:

I'm sending it in about 5 minutes to both of you.

Thank you!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Wandering Knitter posted:

Is diamond rarer in 1.3, or am I just having lovely luck mining?

I'm in 1.2 and having poo poo luck finding diamond. I was actually about to come here and ask about the rareness of diamonds in 1.2. It's kind of annoying that with the dramatic increase in caves and underground tunnels, diamonds have become so much more difficult to find. I feel like in the beta days I was finding diamonds a bit more regularly, though still requiring plenty of mining and spelunking.

Is strip mining for diamond worth the time, effort, and material cost or would it be better to just explore cave systems and look for exposed diamond?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Spoggerific posted:

People have been saying that ores are more rare in new versions ever since ores were first added to the game, but I don't think they've ever actually changed rarity without a mention in the patch notes. If it's not in the notes, I doubt diamonds are any more rare than they used to be.

Well I kind of touched on it before, but I feel like the massive increase in underground tunnels and caves makes diamonds seem harder to find simply because there seems to be more ground to cover.

fondue posted:

I've always found diamonds by doing two things; exploring caves and excavating lava pits.

Do you mean solidifying the lava and then digging it out?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

BitBasher posted:

Well, unless I incorrectly read the way the veins generate, more tunnels actually does mean less diamonds. According to the wiki if a tunnel of mineshaft intersects where a diamond block would have been generated, that block just isn't spawned. As such, any veins that are exposed to caves would have been bigger had not the airspace been there.

Well that is disappointing to have confirmed. But it perfectly explains the situation.

fondue posted:

Yes; I use gravel as it's quickest. Emptying a lava pit almost always guarantees some diamond or lapis.

I have a few stacks of gravel, I should get on this, even though I foolishly poured water over several lava lakes already.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Is there an official list of console commands for 1.3.1?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Boat posted:

I wonder if you can open your world to LAN, set up port forwarding on your router, and then have people connect to your server via direct IP with the outside IP of your router.

Typing in /help brings them up, no?

Doesn't seem to do anything for me. :saddowns:

Edit: I guess I have to start a LAN with cheats on. :v:

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 1, 2012

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Boat posted:

I don't know about LAN mode, but you do have to enable cheats at world creation.

blackflare posted:

You're typing /help in the server console window and not inside minecraft, right?

It was a 1.2 world, so I couldn't enable cheats before. I was hitting the "/" key and typing commands there. It only works if I enable LAN in game, but once I do that, I can switch game modes and stuff like that just fine.

So I rolled the dice on some pick enchants. My diamond pick came up with Unbreaking 3 and efficiency 4! But my Iron pick got Fortune 3 on it. :saddowns: At least it also has Unbreaking...

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 1, 2012

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

BitBasher posted:

Why on earth is that a bad thing? That's awesome! Just be stingy with it and only ever use it on diamonds, Redstone, Lapiz, and maybe coal or glowstone if you need it.

I meant it in a way that I was really, really hoping my diamond pick had Fortune 3 on it. Basically the enchants were reversed as to what I would have preferred.

In recent news, I was almost vaporized by a massive TNT trap in my first desert temple. Four chests blew up. If I hadn't accidentally bore a massive hole through the wall with my super efficient pick, I would have surely died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I guess I was lucky. My 1.2.5 world was very small, and as soon as I fanned out in 1.3 I found a desert temple in the desert that was just bordering the edge of my map, and a jungle temple in the first jungle I came across which was straight down the coast from my base. But absolutely zero villages thus far.