Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vektuz
Sep 19, 2005
Endangered Species
Having the height mods seems pretty cool. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that mineral generation happens relative to the bedrock, not relative to the surface, so you'll find pretty much nothing but coal (or even not that) in any of the current hills in vanilla minecraft. I'm guessing the same thing counts for the vertical mods.

Maybe he should change it to relative to the surface for some things like iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vektuz
Sep 19, 2005
Endangered Species

Schweinhund posted:

Any info stored for each block (every block on the server) takes up memory. It could easily be added, but that is more resources being used for not much gain.

Notch could change this to only store the chunks that have been modified, I guess. I bet if you took the average server and stored only the chunks that differ from what the seed would generate you'd probably get a ridiculous "compression" ratio out of it.

vektuz
Sep 19, 2005
Endangered Species

MrChupon posted:

Wouldn't it take just a creeper explosion, single chopped tree, or grabbed mushroom to foil this? I mean I guess there are a decent number of chunks that I truly never touched while running though, but on any reasonably populated server I think this would trend quickly to zero.

A populated server would have its altered chunks stored, yes, but all those areas that people sailed for days across the ocean just to explore would not have to be saved.