Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Iacen posted:

Originally 1.8 was supposed to be launched after PAX, so it's probably not that.
That said, I wouldn't mind some piece of info about 1.8. Villages, what the Adventure elements consists of. Stuff like that.

I really really really hope he (eventually) puts in tools and things like NPCs and notes and various other things that allow us to build our adventure maps better. world edit and toomanyitems built into the creation tool, notes so we no longer have to use notepad files (or editing the map picture), scripted lighting and sounds and music, etc.

Working on an adventure map at the moment, there's so many times where I'm like "I really wish I could have this particular music start up here, or lights to activate here, or etc"

edit: Oh yeah, and I'd LOVE to force it to be night or day depending on what part of the map they are on.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

How big would you say is too big for an adventure map? I don't want it to be like the original water temple, where it ran badly for people.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Okay, so I set up a redstone circuit repeater... thing, and it's hooked up to pistons so that they open and close on their own. The problem is that I want the pistons to stay open longer than like one second. Help?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

tinaun posted:

Screenshots? Do you want the pistons to stay on longer when you push a button, or longer when they are automatically toggled?

Automatically toggled.

Here's the set up I have based around some youtube video I found on making them repeat. I want that piston over there to stay open longer.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Awesome, thanks for all your help guys :)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Yonic Symbolism posted:

What's the best way to clear out a lot of ground for building? Usually there are so many trees, and to get rid of a tree you have to cut apart every part of it. Even managing a diamond axe into my inventory, it's time consuming. Is there a better way, or should I just use some kind of build editor tool?

world edit/single player commands is the easiest way. single player commands you can give yourself instant mining, so blocks are destroyed in one hit, and world edit you can just erase tons of blocks at once.

edit: also TNT

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I wonder how long it took him to find a DIAMOND for her ring eh guys?? :razz:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

FirePhoenix posted:

I'm playing around with making an Adventure map myself and I have a question. Is there a way to move the world spawn point? I've built around the spawn point but if I want to fine turn its location, can I?

I don't think so, but that's not an issue. Just set where you want to be spawned with a bed, and you're good to go for whoever plays it. It gets a little messed up with multiplayer (like if if the Yogscast plays it), but just write down the coordinates for that and you'll be good.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'd respect both companies more if this matter was solved playing some game than some boring rear end court snoozefest. Loosen the tie and have some fun GRANDPA :colbert:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Militree posted:

I have a feeling that the user ase for Pokemon and Minecraft overlap a lot. If your in that circle, you may enjoy this Pokemon mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiEOR7tV4eI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiEOR7tV4eI

Oh my god. oh my goooooood :swoon:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Kin posted:

Home here i come.

Welp, this is a little bit harder. The "first night" viode in the op has the guy find coal almost right away, no luck for me, now it's pitch black, and i'm cowering in a hovel i dug out of a wall. :smith:

You can make coal by burning wood

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Kin posted:

I'm very new to this, i'm presuming i can't just rub 2 sticks together to get that base fire can i?

Haha naw. Get wood > build crafting table > make pickaxe > get stone > build furnace > burn wood (using wood) > coal!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Came across these Disney ride videos. My two favorites, Splash Mountain and Haunted Mansion :allears:

Splash Mountain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcxSzhavRxk&feature=related

Haunted Mansion: (Part 1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_IHtGNFCU0&NR=1
(Part 2) http://youtu.be/LXInB1Hp2bk

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Wow, that video. That new lighting looks AWESOME

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Jeb just tweeted this:

http://imgur.com/gpiiP?full&size=l

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I like the like... experience orbs that pop out and fly over to you when you kill something. It reminds me of when you kill something in Kingdom Hearts, and have the magnet thing and all the HP and mana and Munny come flying over to you.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

V for Vegas posted:

I love punching animals and have them freak out.

Did anyone complain about not enough sheep?

HELL YES I WAS

On my friends' mutliplayer server, they won't let me /give myself stuff (I have the ability to) and they get their panties in a wad over it becuase they consider it cheating or whatever. I just want to build things to show off. Anyway, it's always annoying running around looking for sheep to get wool, but having them be bunched up in groups of 3 or 4 and rarely around the world while my cup runneth over with cows. Fuckin' cows.

EDIT: What's the max terrain height now?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

fondue posted:

F3 Doesn't show you where mobs are anymore! Yay!

Nooooo :(

edit: by the way the fog and fog toggle thing. Is that different than the view distance? Like is there actual fog in some places now?

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 10, 2011

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

change my name posted:

In the latest yogscast they accidentally spawn some in

Thank you for letting me know they did a video for 1.8 :allears:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oh my god when Simon and Lewis accidently spawn a Silverfish in the latest yogscast, it's loving hilarious

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So can you make grass now if all you have is dirt (for like an underground/floating garden) or do you still have to set up ridiculous grass stairs?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

PalmTreeFun posted:

Ridiculous grass stairs. Endermen can move and place grass, but that's totally random.

NOTCH!!! :argh:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Thank you to this thread for introducing me to that SCP series site. I have been reading it for hours.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Since they added in those awesome huge oceans, they really need to add in something that allows breathing underwater. Also coral reefs, and fish (that you can see)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

FirePhoenix posted:

Actually I think they are craftable in a 3x2 horizontal pattern with iron ingots.

Yeah, I think they crafted some in one of the recent Yogscasts

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I love the particles in the water :3: I wish it didn't get so dark underwater though

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Uh, can you not turn your creative world into a survival world and vice versa at all? The creative mode is pointless if you can't, in my opinion. It'll be right back to using world edit and toomanyitems on survival.

edit: Wow, I don't like the hunger bar at all. I wish I could turn it off without turning the game on peaceful.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 15, 2011

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The Mad Archivist posted:

I am finding this myself. I could deal with my crappy tools wearing out constantly, but having myself wear out completely in between the incremental steps I take to build a base... really annoying. That said,

This is true. I mean, I *know* all the animals have delicious, delicious meat to harvest now, but force of habit makes me only associate pigs with food. It's going to take some retraining.

I just think it's ridiculous there's no option to turn it off unless you turn it to peaceful (and apparently Notch's view of it was "you won't get the option, deal with it"). I don't like having to deal with that, having to stop what I'm doing to go eat or get food because my food bar is low and if it hits empty then I start dying. I'd like to play on non-peaceful, while also not having to worry about the food bar.

There's still plenty I do love about the update though. Everything looks prettier for some reason, even on the default texture pack. I love rivers, and I also love that I'm practically tripping over clay no matter where I go (though it's kind of annoying all the clay I've found has been underwater). I love the huge oceans. Like, standing on the edge of a beach and looking out and not seeing anything form. Oh and swamps are wonderful.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Cygni posted:

I sorta like it, honestly. Not just because cows no longer spawn in my house, but also because it forces you to setup farms which I never did before. I like them as a finite resource.

I love the idea of farms to get this stuff, cause I hate running around trying to find, say, wool and not running into any sheep for like 10 minutes but finding plenty of stupid cows. Having them all in a pen so I can just go in and sheer them and stuff would be great.

Of course, right now it's just "the animals won't respawn/grow back their wool" without the farming/breeding so that's great!

Oh well, I can just /give myself the stuff until that situation gets fixed when the problem arises.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

They don't seem to drop whatever block they are holding though which can be annoying. Saw one underground holding a block of gold ore, and killed him and the block disappeared along with him. Not so bad with one block of gold ore, but diamond would be a different story!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

There was a creeper in the park of our multiplayer town. At night. How fitting.

Also freaking Endermen keep ruining the walls we built up to keep other mobs out. Earlier tonight I looked out at my garden and saw an Enderman pulling up blocks and stepping all over my crops! He got in through the wall right behind there. I guess the water mote wasn't enough to kill him. drat you Endermeeeeeeen

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Does the food bar go down when you're standing still (like if I'm eating in real life and have to afk on my server)?

Also I'm finding that the food bar is much less of a pain in the rear end in mines than out in the world or in my village, since I don't sprint at all when down in mines because there's not enough wide open spaces. I do wish there was an instant health food though, because occasionally you'll have to hovel in a corner and let your health regenerate.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Shnakepup posted:

Someone on Reddit had posted a similar suggestion. Basically, Endermen would only drop blocks near a certain point, and could only pick up blocks in a certain radius around that point. The idea is that they'd only ruin the landscape in a certain area, and in the meanntime would actually attempt to build something. I think the guy referred to them building an Endermen "hive"; the AI would be based on cellular automata so it wouldn't be too complex to code. I dunno, sounded interesting.

Personally, I like the Endermen moving poo poo around. It's kinda cool to walk through an area you've never explore before and to see stuff disturbed. Kinda creepy.

Yeah. I don't particularly like them destroying my own structures, but I like seeing them in the wild with their blocks, and in mines moving actual ore blocks around (I think Endermen just like to be dicks) and running through a forest and seeing a hole in the middle of trees with the wood block over to the side a little.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

m2pt5 posted:

Or make it so they can only pick up non-tree blocks that weren't placed by a player. (It is possible to tell the difference, since player-placed leaf blocks don't decay if not in range of wood.)

Yes they will. They still have to be somewhat close to wood even if the player places it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

That Snowman is the best thing :3:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Traveller In Time posted:

The pistons at the top hold back water source blocks that flood the chamber after the switch is pulled, then I can go round back and fire in more eggs to load it up.

The worst part is the chilling silence after they all die. :(

This is amazing.

I can't wait to see Kas' textures for the snowmen :3:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

change my name posted:

Am I the only one who thought that the nether bridges look like broken down highways? It'd be kind of cool if the nether gradually became this post-apocalyptic wasteland type of place (it'd explain the zombies).

Yeah this would be awesome. Like perhaps the normal Minecraft world is where you and/or your multiplayer friends end up in as an alternate world to escape the post apocalyptic wasteland, or after you went back in time to the very beginning of the worlds. And the portals are your door to the other dimension/the future.

Obviously it's just some kind of silly hell dimension, but that would be a neat idea to build on.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

But Notch is just regular fat. Gabe Newell is like melty fat

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Droopy Goines posted:

My underground pyramid that I started in April:

Still not finished though.

You don't know how disappointed I am that this wasn't your way of topping the previous chicken farm but showing us your insanely huge chicken farm pyramid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

And yes, animals are persistent now. Enjoy your wool while you can!