Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Raskolnikov posted:

The inclusion of sprinting makes racetracks with interesting obstacle courses possible...

If you make racetrack map, please find some way to include the ultimate racing music in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Quick question: Can I use MCEdit to move something from a 1.7 map over to a fresh 1.8 map? I've been building a small city for a while and I'd love to keep it.

Here's a torii I made a while ago as the gate to the city. I'm proud of it even though I'm sure there's far better out there.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I went for a CS degree for a while and I still think Redstone is terribly implemented and could be easily condensed/optimized. Minecraft is a game and most of my friends find redstone to be horribly un-fun. I'd love to see Mojang simplify it for folks that don't want to bother with all of the shenanigans it entails.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

TalonDemonKing posted:

Suggest it to notch? While you're at it, see if you can get him to allow redstones on walls.

Also suggest some sort of elevator block that can go along with redstone wires on the walls.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I still say 'Ay-ther' for aether despite knowing that it's incorrect. I feels better and more mythological that way (in my opinion.)

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Omnicarus posted:

I just say Firmament like any good Roman.

You mean Firdaws, infidel.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I really wish Mojang would outright buy some of the ideas/mods from modders and properly add them into the game. There are so many mods out there that improve the quality of life of the base game that I find myself being rather annoyed when a new patch hit since that means all of the mods are out of date.

There's no reason why we don't have things as simple as redstone wire on walls or colored glass/lighting yet. Little insignificant things like that would be great and easy to implement but I'm starting to doubt if we'll even see alternate modes of transportation at this point.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I recently started watching Yogscast and I am happy to say that it's the first channel I've ever subscribed to on Youtube. After slamming through most of their Minecraft videos and Shadows of Israphel while waiting on the train home, I can't help but to hear Simon's 'AAAAAAAAAAHHHH!' in my head whenever I see something cute. Thank you, Yogscast, for making my daily travels bearable.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Zackarotto posted:

Oh, are we all vandalizing the moon? I've got one:

Here's my loadout:

1. Sword
2. Shovel
3. Pick
4. Torches
5-7. Whatever
8. Food
9. Clock

I love you for this suggestion. I make Marathon reference to my friends and none of them ever get it. It's like the game time's forgotten. :(

(Also it was on Apple, so that meant that 20 people actually played it back then)

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Biggus Dickus posted:

MSE just threw up a Java Exploit warning on that file.

code:
Exploit:Java/CVE-2008-5353.WX
Anyone dared to try it?

Jeb has been tweeting about it, so I doubt it's infected.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

My issue with Minecraft right now is that it feels like half of a game even though it's near release. I primarily play Survival Multiplayer with my friends and after the first few nights of struggling to get resources and other things, the challenge of the game disappears. Once you have a reliable mean of gathering food, obtaining diamonds and going into the Nether for potion supplies, the 'game' comes to a stuttering halt. Yes, I know it's a 'make your own type of fun' game, and we've been building villages and forts off and on for a while now...but there's literally nothing after this.

I would love to see villages and villagers, more monsters, more dangers in the world, more modes of transports and everything...things that are available for single player with mods (another gripe of mine) but are largely absent in the main game itself. Minecraft's come a long way and I've had it since Alpha, but I find myself wondering if it's ever going to become a full game or will Mojang continue to spin their wheels and implement things at a very slow pace....things that modders have already tackled and conquered successfully.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

This should have been the Minecraft ending:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09s-c2JVI40

I had a hard time reading those credits and I've slogged through Infinite Jest. I hope they're kidding with that because goddamn.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

LogisticEarth posted:

:eng99:
Diamonds are not formed from coal:
http://geology.com/articles/diamonds-from-coal/

Obsidian also isn't a super hard material that can withstand the might of 20 kilotons of TNT either, but I'm willing to concede with coal becoming diamond in Minecraft.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

They finally found him. The man that's truly beaten Minecraft.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

If there's anybody here going to MineCon, could they please ask Notch or any of the Mojang programmers one simple question for me: Why the hell can't Redstone wires go up walls?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

MikeJF posted:

Because redstone doesn't sit on surfaces of blocks, it is a full block above them represented by a flat line on the block below, because Notch is a terrible programmer who basically hacked wire support into the game in the worst way possible.

Yeah, I figured this was the cause...but there are mods out there that have the same functionality as redstone wire but allow attachment to walls. There's no reason why they can't steal it from one of those.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Allen Wren posted:

Nope, that's their current behavior mode. There's more of them in The End than in the world itself, even though you need pearls to get TO The End, and they'll teleport away if they're taking damage. Notch hosed the dog on this one.

This is an apt way of describing Minecraft as a whole right now. Most of the Adventure Update feels half-baked and incomplete. The whole encounter with the Enderdragon, The End itself, finding Eyes of Ender...it's all well and good that it's in the game, but I really wish they had worked on each aspect fully before pressing on to the next. Perhaps a monster patch, then Villages for one patch, The End in the next, etc.

As it stands right now, Minecraft feels like a man without a country. Creative Mode is still decent but the game part of Minecraft feels wanting.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

PalmTreeFun posted:

Honestly if I had first heard of Minecraft now instead of a couple years ago, I'd feel like I'd been ripped off, especially at $30.

This is how I feel about the game right now. I got the game as a gift for my nephew for Christmas and I couldn't believe that Notch and Mojang were charging 30 dollars for a game that's barely a game. As it stands, the basic game of Minecraft isn't explained in the game at all. You have to go outside of the game to learn about everything and that's downright criminal. There's also no point of going through the amazing pain of the rear end of legitimately beefing up to kill the so-called final boss of the game.

The Adventure aspect that the game's been touting for the last half-year is a sad excuse of an addition...it added nowhere new to actually explore (The End is a featureless void) or ways to adventure. Villages are simply worthless since the inhabitants are also as dumb as the wolves. It's been three patches since the Adventure Pack began and it's all been insipid and rather bland, which is the way I'd describe vanilla Minecraft as a whole.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Raskolnikov posted:

Why didn't Notch sell Minecraft to Valve?

Okay, I'm done. :smith:

Because he's afraid of the game becoming far, far better under the hands of people that are better programmers/businessmen. I think it's an ego thing, honestly.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Danzou posted:

I don't get this whole idea that Minecraft isn't worth thirty bucks. Outsides of Smash Brothers and maybe one or two others, I've never gotten so many hours of enjoyment out of a game.

Yes, Notch basically dicked around for months after the Halloween update. It's still histrionic to call the game "mediocre" or a "ripoff at this price". Any game loses its luster after you pour so many hours into it.

You can't argue that Minecraft doesn't have its share of bugs, shortcomings and overall baffling design choices that detract from the game as a whole. Notch wanted to take the game in a myriad of different directions and this only caused the game to suffer. Is it an RPG? Is it a survival game? Is it strictly a builder? No. It's rather schizophrenic and it shows that Notch never had a real goal as to what he wanted this game to be. The community is responsible for making this game passable at this point, not Mojang.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I'm not aiming to start drama about Notch or the company. Minecraft is decent for what it is. I myself have gotten a lot of time and enjoyment out of the game, but this was due to mods, addons and other things outside of the game itself.

I like Minecraft and only want it to do well but there are so many niggling issues that make the game itself a chore to play in vanilla. As I said before, Minecraft is a good game with mods. Without them, it's barely a 15 dollar game at best. At least in my opinion.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Borden posted:

Awesome, this convinces me that Minecraft's only claim to fame is going to be ushering in this new kind of cube game. It's like Ultima Online. It's the first big attempt at a new game type but they got a lot wrong, but other more competent people ran with the idea and made better games. Notch is basically the new Lord British.

Lord Swedish would be a better nom de programmer than Notch.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

For all of my griping, Jeb is the best thing to happen to Minecraft. Dude is putting in new content like a beast. I hope he can keep up the pace.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

JamSessionEin posted:

How did I just watch 15 minutes of this.

Ein, could you show us your creations in glorious Matt Damon Vision©?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

The problem with Redstone is that sometimes I want to make a simple machine that works without having to spend hours learning the intricacies of a broken-rear end system. I've harped on it before but I still fail to see why redstone wires can't traverse walls since that would alleviate a lot of the problems I have with the system right now.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Iacen posted:

I would honestly not care about redstone if there were an easy way of making piston doors, elevators and such without having to make room for the bloody stone. Ideally I'd like some sort of magic wand, where I click two objects and then they're connected. So if I connect a bunch of pistons with a button, I don't have to have three meter thick walls or something.
And an elevator block. One of those would be neat too.

An alternative could be something like in Terraria, where wiring is invisible unless you wear some glasses. It looked nicer.

That really covers what I want out of redstone. Whenever I tried to make a piston door for my treehouse, I ran out of room because I didn't plan for the inordinate amount of space needed to make a simple 4x4 piston block door. I realize that it's partially my fault but one would assume that redstone would work logically, too. I really think the options you laid out could help with redstone's functionality and practicality.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I still can't believe Notch's made a billion loving dollars in five years on Minecraft. Following this game from early development to now has been like reading some sort of fictional book based on some programmer's dream of how he or she'd become the next tech giant.

edit: Notch IRL right now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzba7V8uB04

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 15, 2014

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Klyith posted:

But in this case there's also a blue button you can push that gives you 200 million plus 20 million a year for the next X years plus you keep control of loving Minecraft. People mostly think you're cool except some shitheads on the internet, and maybe you get some blowback if you write a particularly dumb opinion piece. You don't have to wear the dumb fedora if you don't want to.

I think I'd take the blue button.

I can think of 2.5 billion reasons to not give a poo poo about what people on the internet say. Notch will read the nasty comments on Reddit or Twitter, sob, then dry his eyes with freshly minted 1000 krona bills while he plays polo with Carl XVI Gustaf.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

DoctorWhat posted:

clearly the correct course of action for Minecraft combat is to implement Monster Hunter movesets

I just imagined a Creeper-Brachydios hybrid and nodded in approval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

oddium posted:

shulkers apparently drop monaders, a sword that replaces the hunger bar with a gauge indicating how much you're feeling it at the moment

It's a good thing weather's already a thing in Minecraft because it'll constantly be rain time.