Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

drunkill posted:

The minecraft building! (not really)

It's actually the (almost complete) National Broadband Network HQ in Melbourne, Australia.

Mojang should totally put a minecraft brick facade on the front of their offices.

You know, at some point I kind of hope there's a theme park minecraft thing. Maybe lego will try to court notch and we'll see some legoland stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Is there any way to interact with the villagers or are they just sorta there?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Kassad posted:

They're probably still not as useful as an infinite water pool, but they can be used for decoration.

If there's a way to get plumbing to 'work' in the game so you can keep the cauldron constantly refilled that would be rad though.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

AN AOL CHAT ROOM posted:

This is Mojang working on Minecraft, features will get put in and taken out and re-implemented with a complete and polar opposite function from what they were originally intended to do. See: Books. Now that we know that bookcases are only for enchanting tables and will never ever ever ever be used for writing your own personal Minecraft journal into, I'm stuck with my Bulletin Board Dirt Walls Full O'Signs.

I really don't know why they haven't added in the ability to use paper sheets or books for writing yet. Modders have already done it - in fact you can 'read' them the way you read maps, by holding them in your character's POV and looking down at them. It's a tool that has even been used in some yogscast videos. It pretty much goes without saying how frustrating it is that mojang basically drags its feet on stuff that modders don't seem to have a problem putting in - even the simplest things.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Vanderdeath posted:

I really wish Mojang would outright buy some of the ideas/mods from modders and properly add them into the game. There are so many mods out there that improve the quality of life of the base game that I find myself being rather annoyed when a new patch hit since that means all of the mods are out of date.

There's no reason why we don't have things as simple as redstone wire on walls or colored glass/lighting yet. Little insignificant things like that would be great and easy to implement but I'm starting to doubt if we'll even see alternate modes of transportation at this point.

They seem to have STARTED doing SOME of that - pistons, for example.

If there's a means of getting all the mod content in multiplayer easily though that would solve all our problems. Just play on your ideal modded server instead of the vanilla game. I'd love an industrial/buildcraft server where we make massive factories.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

ChibiSoma posted:

Of course it is, he pinched a loaf. :haw:

E: Ugh. SimCity 2000 flashback. I don't want to design a sewer system. Nor do I want to think of what Notch's idea of sewage would even be. You know there'd be at least a few potions that'd use sewage in a bottle...

I actually would like to work with plumbing in the game, if there's a reason to have running water. (For potions or recipes I guess.) If there's a sewer it would probably be a means of disposing of otherwise harmful trash items. (Botched potions etc.)

I guarantee you any sewer I design in the game will be more interesting than the trillions of boring rear end sewers in virtually every video game. Though that isn't saying much - Hell the storm drainpipes near my house as a kid I used to travel through were more exciting that almost any video game sewer.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Oct 9, 2011

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

mynameisbatman posted:

This is loving terrible and completely unrelated to minecraft and you should be ashamed for linking it. What the poo poo, some game that looks like DOTA? Seriously?

Wow.

You could have just said 'wrong thread.'

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

The latest yogscast video (shadow of israphel part 33 ) is yet another perfect example of how I actually want the game to be more like - lots more tools available for players to basically make dungeons and dragons type modules, and maybe even official adventure packs for 'dungeon master' type guys to run for people.

The more tools notch and friends can put in the official game that let players create adventures, dungeons, and quests and such, the better.

Kudos to the guys who designed that adventure by the way - that looked very fun. I'd love to play that sort of thing myself.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 10, 2011

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Verizian posted:

If you could craft creature spawners that are triggered by redstone it would be glorious.
code:
#O#
ODO
#O#
#= Obsidian
#= Iron bars
D= Dispenser.

Place it then right click to fill it up like a regular dispenser. Except in this case you put bones in and skeletons pop out. String for spiders, gunpowder for creepers and rotting flesh for zombies.

I don't know about letting the players do that, but giving a 'dungeon master' admin the tools to do those kinds of things would be more what I mean. Already there are mods to basically do that though. Really I think anything that gets more user-friendly about running D&D style adventures for players is good.

IMO there are three main things I want to see expanded upon drastically in minecraft. (as far as making minecraft more 'game-like' goes) More tools and content for adventures (which means lots of monsters, lots more tools for dms and dungeon builders, etc - a lot of this will be coming with 1.10), more content for more strategic and interesting pvp (could even be a pvp mode with objectives tied to it), and economy/world-building stuff that is focused on letting players make functional and active ingame communities that can supply players with tools they need or even supply stuff to npcs to help them upgrade or protect their village. (Npcs will likely help to accomplish this - I'd like to see stuff like supplying villages with farming food, creating supply lines to villages, etc.)

I think what I've always wanted to see minecraft become is something that's a mix of the community/city building of dwarf fortress and the adventuring of a roguelike - along with neverwinter nights's dungeon mastering stuffs and a wee bit of some simcity or civilization style trading and community building or whatver. Throw in some decent MMO pvp and we're cool.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Oct 10, 2011

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Mr Scumbag posted:

Holy poo poo, can anyone tell me why the shape of the moon in this game is even remotely important?

My first instinct was that it would influence monster and special item spawns. Which would be pretty neat. Hell go the extra mile and say a boss monster with an army of monsters under him spawns on full moons, and you have to be well-defended to fend them off or something. That would be fun.

But it coming so rapidly out of the blue like this is pretty typical of notch's ADHD and the community periodically zeroing in on asinine things or something I guess.

Edit: Oh man I read that as phases of the moon. Shape? What the loving hell? Yeah I don't care. I can always texture mod it if I want it something else.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Oct 14, 2011

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

OurLivesOnline posted:

Holy poo poo, you guys need to see this.

Wow.

I definitely would love to see space in minecraft at some point. Like, you actually have to build a working rocket ship launcher or use various other means to get there. Hell, put enough technology stuff in the game and eventually minecraft might resemble something between a roguelike and a game of Side Meier Civilization - adventure, research, tech up, and then explore the stars.

It's just plain great seeing scifi stuff realized so well in the game though. I hope this stuff finds its way somehow into the official game. I'd love to make space colonies with my buds, wearing our space suits and hopping around on asteroids etc.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Deep Winter posted:

This is amazing, but holy poo poo that redstone. Imagine how large it would have to be to act as a modern-day computer.

Given mods like industrialcraft and buildcraft and such, I think it's only a matter of time before we see a computercraft, where those massive loving redstone circuitry rigs are simplified into ingame microprocessors and various other computer components. You may be able to wire circuits for a computer on a large window, similar to how you 'wire' stuff for various things in those mods I mentioned.

I'm telling you, minecraft mods could be a wonderful tool for teaching programming and construction principals to kids.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Gorfob posted:

Code freeze is now in place!

Oh wow!

I will be interested in seeing how quickly they move to 1.9 and 1.10 from this now.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Vib Rib posted:

This is nice, but I wish the cameraman hadn't been the one who spends like ten solid minutes just chopping trees down before doing anything.
Also, for a race, they sure seem to be taking their time. Why they have the preoccupation with wood when diamond blocks are scattered for the taking is beyond me, and while I can understand not being able to cheat (e.g. riding the waterfall down past the mob-spawning hollow at the end to get to the wool) they sure seemed to be putting some things off.

I actually think that this 'race' would be best if there's a system of victory points or something - a combination of kills, built structures, treasure found, and gathered resources or something. Or there are conditions that must be met before you can progress. So that the point is to explore, build, and gather - not just race to the end.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

CJacobs posted:

In case this thread hasn't seen the lovely Cartoon Network Rip Off(tm) of Mad's parody of Minecraft yet...

Why would they do this? Do people actually think this is funny? Is there a single Minecraft fan out there that laughed at these tried and old jokes when they were on TV instead of YouTube? :qq:

The worst part is, the final joke in the skit is a "SSSSSSS boom ha ha creepers explode when you get near them this is comedy let's do it again for emphasis" joke. It's like the show not being funny is intentional because it's not even ironic mocking, it's just regular mocking.

What has Cartoon Network done to me :negative:

I don't think that was half bad. I enjoyed it.

Zenzirouj posted:

I think the biggest joke is adults seriously discussing the humor value of a comedy cartoon for kids

The show's target demographic is young adults and kids.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

A Sassy Dog posted:

It was a deep-cutting knock on the inefficiency of minecart tracks and an affront to Notch's idea of balance. This show is secretly genius..

The show's target demographic is young adults and kids.
I don't know, I think it's kind of derogatory to kid's shows. You look at this and tell me that it in any way touches the writing in SpongeBob, Flapjack, or Dexter's Lab.

I didn't say it was a high quality show. I said that's what its target demographic was. As a matter of fact I think it's somewhat sub-par overall.

This minecraft bit was amusing, but had a very hokey and awful premise tied to start off with. The minecraft jokes made it entertain me in spite of the bad idea.

quote:

Then again, SpongeBob is too fast for kids, so maybe the Cartoon Network Rip Off(tm) of Mad's parody of Minecraft is perfectly paced!

A lot of kids shows are made to entertain adults as much as kids these days anyway. And quite frankly I don't see a problem with adults watching a show that has episodes like the one with the live-action guy in a gorilla suit. Good lord.

Er....let's get back to talking about minecraft. Preferably as swiftly as possible. :(

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Cheap Shot posted:

this is a link ^

It's been a while since I've done Minecraft art. I felt like going for it again so I made a webcomic. Please read it oh god!
I plan to keep going with it. Feedback appreciated. I went to post this on the minecraft forums but stopped when I realized the art section was nothing but fan fiction, so I'll be posting this here for now instead.
:psyduck:

Your comic makes me wish there was a cute-faced variant on creepers in the game that is friendly, won't explode, follows you around like a lost puppy, and will actually stop enemy creepers from exploding. :3:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Drake Lake posted:

Considered doing the whole shebang, but no. I'll probably just do Main Street.

It would be pretty own to make all of disneyland ingame though. You'd probably want to make it larger than scale by a bit just to have room to add little detail to rides and attractions though.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Making server hosting intuitive so a few online friends can jump in your single player world while you're in the middle of playing it would be welcome as quality-of-life improvement I think.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Install Gentoo posted:

Endermen that carry flowers. :3:

Endermen that carry flowers should not attack anyone and heal you if you are carrying a flower of the same color. :3:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Al! posted:

You guys are all glossing over the more horrifying news that there's going to be another minecon.

Oh hush. First time fan cons for stuff like this are usually pretty awkward and then they progressively get better each year - especially since the people organizing them learn how to make them better.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Bellend Sebastian posted:

Counterpoint: Digital Overload.

Lan parties usually suck more over time though. Just because they tend to attract egotistical assholes jerks and trolls as they get more popular.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Don't. Villagers don't do anything at all right now other than look really ugly. Nothing wrong with murdering them.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I just caught up on the yogs/notch drama. Yowza.

Have the yogscasters said anything? I want to hear both sides of the story. At this point I think it was uncool of notch to spring this on the community like that - all it did was create bad vibes for everyone, even presuming Notch was in the right. If he didn't want to invite them back he should have done it quietly really. I mean, quietly is how people get dismissed from events like these usually precisely for the reasons we're now witnessing in the community freakout.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Javid posted:

The annoying thing to me is that you're stuck with whatever random enchantment you get, be it useful or not.

I think that's fine as it encourages you to make more enchantments and also lets you make use of enchantments you wouldn't always use.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Macaluso posted:

They won't be responding til they are back and settled in the UK. I'm interested in seeing their response though.

I am probably jumping the gun but to me it sounds like notch made them think they would have gotten their expenses covered for the trip over. Then they got upset when it turned out they would not. Then they probably got really angry and were inappropriate because they were angry - if they did misbehave it doesn't excuse their behavior but poo poo like this can happen if a convention is lovely about communicating with its VIPs.

Edit: I've literally seen/heard about this sort of thing happening at comic con, with VIP types who were communicated poorly with, and then just acted angry during whatever panel or promo they had been invited to. This to me smacks of a case of really unprofessional handling of your convention VIPs. I'm not excusing the yogs guys behavior if what notch said is true - but an unprofessional atmosphere and bad communication can gently caress up everything for everybody.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 22, 2011

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Hypnolobster posted:

Is it just me, or did it get a LOT harder to die in Minecraft?

I started a new world on the seed 777 the day of release and I've been playing it vanilla since (probably too much, to be honest). I've gotten to the point of a full set of mid 40s enchanted diamond armor and a well enchanted diamond sword, and I swear to god I'm invincible.
I was nearly as invincible when I was just wearing low-enchant or no-enchant iron and using an enchanted iron or diamond sword.
I don't know if I broke minecraft or something, but I can stand in front of creepers and I don't take damage. As far as I can tell, it makes very, very little difference to my armor durability.
To be fair, it was a horrendous grind getting to the point of a full set of well enchanted armor, but..

I don't know, it just feels like cheating now. I haven't even died yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUqRFiN_qaU
here i made a video.

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining/hate the game. I'm unemployed and just played like 100 hours of minecraft in ~7 days, it's just a weird change.

e: angering pigmen is laughable now, and mines don't feel remotely intimidating. Giant piles of mobs are just funny.

It depends really. I have done the same thing but wound up getting overwhelmed by a fuckload of silverfish anyway. The answer in this game to the scaling of items with enchantments & potions seems to be to simply spawn massive hordes of creatures. I can see server admits running monster invasion events that tax even the best outfitted players.

That doesn't change the fact that combat in general in minecraft is a simplistic joke that needs a severe overhaul though. Oh and so does enemy AI, variety, and challenge level. Several modders have already made really tough and cool monsters that are hard & very fun fights.

I think potions and enchantments are a step in the right direction, but this effing game is one that at 'launch' is basically only 50% completed. There seems to be a lot of room for challenge factor and variety of means of fighting as well as creatures to fight.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

So uh, unless I'm hearing this wrong, the game is basically still 'in beta' it's just got a price hike attached to it.

I guess that makes sense. I mean this is an indie game with a fairly wide scope. It's still frustrating that they didn't 'finish' the game by the time they said 'launch.'

I am okay with the game being unfinished as it is now so long as their priority now is to finish it, and to make things easier for modders - which I believe they announced were in fact their priorities at the moment. The game is in feature freeze but still needs to be finished with everything they have planned FROM that feature freeze.

Anyway notch is actually going to be hiring an AI programmer in december for one. So we will likely see a good update to both mob AI as well as finally being able to interact with testificates. (who really need better art for them than the ugly programmer art 'bert' look too...)

It's still rather frustrating seeing the dev team move the core game along a hell of a lot slower than modders. Then again I think a lot of the slowness has to do with them having had to basically unspool notch's odd programming.

Anyway here's hoping a magic system gets added to the game soon. Like, with a mana bar above your hunger meter. Would be even better if you lose pips on your mana bar proportionate to how much armor pips you have, so you have to choose between armor and spellcasting.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 25, 2011

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

The only time skill comes in in minecraft PVE combat is when you're in trouble surrounded by more monsters you can handle, or forced to react to a monster in an unusual or awkward situation. Also I actually LIKE how enderman fights go now. You have to be on your toes with those guys. They sometimes feel more like duels.

I contend there is actual skill involved with pvp minecraft combat. (Or was before 1.10. Armor, enchantments, and potions seems to have skewed things in bizarre ways at the moment.) But it's skill at the most basic level. There's skill involved in leading shots with arrows and arcing them to hit enemies. There's skill involved with getting your sword blows and charge attacks in right. Flanking is extremely important. Being able to jump over barriers without stopping your charge run. Being able to keep up with or stay ahead of people chasing you with run charges. Using crouch to hide and using cover to conceal yourself. Knowing when to eat some food and back off for a heal. There actually IS skill and fun to be had in minecraft pvp.

If you're really hardcore you can even arrange boobytraps and lead people into them. Or set up the battlefield yourself with arrow cover and more easy places to attack from.

But this is literally all stuff that is pvp at its most basic level. The weapons in this game are about as basic as Atari Tank Battle - in that you point and swing or shoot to cause damage. I think the game will benefit from potions in the long run- but there really needs to be more means of attacking IMO. Different and new weapon types for one.

Anyway if you want to give this stuff a go to see what I'm on about, give the keepcraft pvp server a go - it's in the private games forum here and you need to request whitelist.

Aside from that, there are times when the PVE in minecraft can be very fun, usually a result of server admin mods. On wilson's SMP server we would regularly do raids on admin-made dungeons or invasions of our towns by monsters that we have to fend back. The monster AI isnt very bright in this game, but enhanced versions of the monsters being summoned in by an invisible intelligent malevolent force who picks and chooses when and where to attack us makes it a lot more fun.

I think the POTENTIAL exists for minecraft combat to be fun but it needs a good kick to it - a combination of variety of weaponry with various strategic benefits and drawbacks along with stronger enemy AI and a greater variety of hostile mobs would be the way to go. Little details like enemy attack animations and cues (so you can know when to block among other things) would also help. If this game winds up being like a low-fi skyrim in the long run, hey great.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 26, 2011

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

PalmTreeFun posted:

I think I lot of this could've been boiled down to rushing at people, hoping the godawful netcode works in your favor. Having better weapons/armor than them also helps.

If this were an action FPS, god forbid a fighting game, everyone would jump ship from online play almost immediately. To be honest what little combat there is only hard because of that.

Yeah. The netcode isn't the best. But in my experience in pvp it works 'enough' to do what it does. If you flank someone and are clever you will generally do well. Occasional bugs might not work in your favor but really you will generally do good if you play smart.

All of this is moot at the moment because armor and harm potions are way too loving powerful respectively though.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 27, 2011

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Macaluso posted:

So uh, the newest Yogscast... :lol:

http://youtu.be/SxzUmD-BjBA

Good lord! *choke*

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 27, 2011

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

OriginalPseudonym posted:

I agree with the idea of hotlink protection, but I find it ironic that they load a full page of text and images to tell you "no hotlinking" as opposed to the couple-thousand-byte image in the first place. It seems like it'd make it more prone to being accidentally DDOS'd.

Well I edited out the link.

It's just that the old EC Horror cliche line was pretty much my reaction and I wanted to illustrate that.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Miijhal posted:

Honeydew as a hairless dwarf pony. Welp.

I feel like I should read the thread for that mod. There's no way it isn't hilariously awful. Minecraft fans and bronies in one place.

He has nipples. :gonk: Also: Balding knight peculier pony.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I was waiting for the "haha yeah right gently caress bronies" bait and switch but it never came. :stare:

You mean that the freakish mutant pony skins they're wearing wasn't enough of a hint?

Or the fact that they're playing the technic pack, which means industrial waste and modern looking hellish production factories that strip-mine the beautiful landscape?

My little pony never had to deal with nuclear fallout or danger from death by massive electrocution last I checked. :laugh:

Edit: Or the sorority horror movie like ending with everyone in the slumber party getting murdered by monsters

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 27, 2011

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Well. Notch finally did what he should have done a long while ago. I am thinking the minecon drama woke him up to the fact that he really needed to let someone else take over.

I'm sure Notch can still function in adding some quirkiness to minecraft but Jeb's going to pretty much refocus the project.

As people are saying this really should have happened before launch. Like, a year ago at least.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I really want some kind of means in the regular game of creating zones where monsters can't spawn without using lights. Like some idol you have to either find or build, which you can place in a town area or your base or something, and then you don't have to worry about overdoing it on torches or having a creeper spawn in an area because of one glitched minor patch of dark.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Would be nice if monsters simply can't spawn within a certain distance of villages.

And when villagers actually do stuff and you can help them via quests and building structures or whatever, that radius expands so you can make a larger safe city or something.

Also I'd really like it if in the future, useful NPCs and be made to appear similar to how they do in terraria - if you build something that meets a certain requirement of accommodations for them.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I am okay with the hunger system, it just could be tweaked a bit in my view.

I think using potions for 'insta heals' is a good idea though - you have to invest the time and energy to make them, and then do inventory wrangling to use them for the payoff they give.

Golden apple regens are also always nice, and give golden apples a good purpose.

Anyway, having played and greatly enjoyed pvp pre 1.10's armor buffing, I actually found that the simplistic pvp of the game is made more fun by the hunger bar. You have to take cover a lot more than you would if you could just insta heal. You also will wear yourself out by sprinting a lot (and sprinting is super important in pvp) and inevitably need to eat or else you can't regen.

Similar fun comes into play when facing large numbers of monsters from spawners or other things, like nether strongholds with blazes. Health regen with hunger bar means you have to find a spot to take cover and have to be wary not to overtax yourself.

I actually think the hunger bar's a good thing. It like everything else should be regarded as a work in progress though. Tweaked and supplemented over time, etc.

Also I would like to see special 'super-foods' that you have to put some 'chef' effort into making which grant you temporary hunger decay immunity for a little while. But these foods should be fairly pricey to make and be somewhat involved with several crafting steps IMO.

New food types that offer wee miniaturized versions of alchemical-ish effects would also be welcome. It would also give incentive to have a variety of food types at your farm instead of just the most convenient, because you can use the different food to help with different tasks.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Pudding Huxtable posted:

I posted this in the modding thread, but this is a goon thing so here ya go...

:nws: http://youtu.be/qoc0XSciFPo :nws:

I like the deadpan mechanical sounding voice - "IREALLYLIKETHISONE."

"THIS IS MY FURRY PAINTING. IT WAS MADE FOR ME."

DRR DRR DRR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Slickdrac posted:

He changed it back, he was just trying a new button, I guess.

When you get like 10k ish views youtube prompts you now if you want people to pay you to view the video I think. They did something like that when some random footage I shot of a stage performer hit a ton of hits.

So yes, that's more than likely what just happened.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The service isn't really for everyday users but companies putting professional content on Youtube. Maybe full movies or TV episodes or something. It hasn't really been embraced by anyone yet.

I could see embracing it with a netflix-like subscription service.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 18, 2011