Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

treat posted:

Thanks, I wasn't aware Yogbox (or the modding thread) existed.

Perhaps you should read the OP of threads then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It's just Notch doing dumb ARG crap with regards to the Endermen because he based them off of GBS' Slenderman meme. Running into the ground something that's already been pulped for months now.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I didn't even call the Slenderman poo poo an ARG, I called it a meme so you're assuming that as part of its nature way to go!!

And it's kind of clear he's doing dumb OH SPOOKY MOBS ARE MESSING WITH MY COMPUTER DERP DERP poo poo on twitter which is quite possibly the dullest thing imaginable.

e: OH NO GUYS DRACULA IS HAUNTING MY POSTS WATCH OUT GUYS AAAAAUGH

Zorak fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 10, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Jelly posted:

Ugh, sorry. I saw Minecraft on page 2 and I thought that was a newer tweet. You guys are quick.

Always read the recent thread, and remember what the OP says that if something isn't IMMINENTLY new, don't post it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
wow i'm getting REALLY LOUD AND ZANY ALL OF A SUDDEN this sure is very uhh very uhhh FUNNY HEEE HAA HOO

Hate that kind of thing.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Schweinhund posted:

that sucks. I get like 10 fps for some stupid reason at no fog, so I leave it turned up high but lower it if I need to see far away. Plus whenever I toggle fog, the fps goes way up for a short while, so I use it a lot. I have a feeling he'll put it back due to people complaining about it.

On the other hand, the game is supposed to be better optimized in 1.8, sooo

To be honest, going "I need the fog key in because my computer is incapable of running it without me constantly reloading the graphics every five seconds!!!" is kind of stupid. It's not like he's removing a feature or something. Your computer just sucks.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

CJacobs posted:

That's kind of his point? He has an effective use of the feature because his computer sucks, and I'm not trying to preach that he should keep the button because this and this and white knighting blah blah or anything, but calling the guy's playstyle stupid because he does something you don't just makes you look like a jerk. Now instead of being able to do it on the fly he'll have to do it manually from the pause menu, which slows down his gameplay considerably if he decides to keep using the method after it's been obsoleted.

Except... no one in reasonable circumstances needs to do it. Like if Notch keymapped to the letter "T" the ability to restart entire game; I'm sure this would be a Key Thing Useful To Some People due to some dumb circumstances, but it doesn't mean it's really that necessary or a "key gameplay feature" that, being moved to the control panel, would actually matter other than for people with fringe computer problems.

Presumably he moved it off of F so he can use the key for something other people may actually find useful, perhaps some kind of gameplay feature. Even still, it was kind of an annoying placement for the key anyway!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Frobbe posted:

actually i've had a quite reasonable use for it, as do many others whenever graphics doesn't load when a chunk loads, or when you're flying fast.

... and that was only necessary due to optimization problems which are (supposedly) resolved this update. It was there for debug purposes in the first place I presume, and if that issue has been resolved somehow, wouldn't that remove the necessity of the key?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I'm pretty sure there are tumbleweeds in that screenshot guys. Pretty sure that's new.

Unless they already announced some kind of sand-growing desert tree and I missed that.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The reason Notch isn't allowing dynamic lighting set to all torches I'm pretty sure is that it absolutely murders a lot of computers, and given that Minecraft isn't the best optimized thing in the world, that murder would probably be very effective.

"In this update, 30% of all Minecraft players will be no longer be able to play Minecraft at all"

Pudding Huxtable posted:

Things have been slow in the MC modding scene lately as everyone is gearing up for 1.8. But hell here's one more YB release to hopefully hold you over until then.

:megaman: YogBox 1.7.3 v1.1 now out! :megaman:

What's new?
    -Reverted Inventory Tweaks back to v1.22 and reincluded Convenient Inventory as the latest version of Inv. Tweaks causes issues
    -Updated Single Player RPG Mod to v1.4a
    -Updated Millenaire to 1.3.1 (natch)
    -Updated Somnia to v13, which means that seasons shall now pass while sleeping when used in conjunction with Nandonalt's Seasons Mod
    -Updated Rei's Minimap to v1.8
    -Updated Elemental Creepers to v1.2.3
    -Added changelog.txt, which is what you're reading right now!

Nab it here:
http://theyogbox.net

Please keep Minecraft mod stuff in the actual Minecraft modding thread thank you.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 4, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Degrading items is really the only thing that ads any sustained value to a lot of the resources. The huge flaw with Terraria's model is that the moment you "move up" a tier, most of the resources of the previous tier become entirely pointless/ useless to collect.

The constant need in Minecraft to "hoarde" certain key resources so you can continue your optimal level building/ mining is a lot of the reason why the game is arguably more sustainable/ enduring than Terraria in terms of continued gameplay. There is a much more definite ceiling in Terraria, whereas Minecraft's sort of perpetuating cycle allows people to keep on playing it even more. It adds the "challenge" to the Sandbox. Otherwise it might as well be creative.

Same thing with losing items. The non-perpetual resources force different treatments towards tools and resources than Terraria. You actually have to mine in Minecraft, with a focus on continued/ sustained resource acquisition for both creative endeavors and more functional/ practical needs.

Not to mention the whole "dropped resources" mechanic encourages you to enter back into situations that are largely dangerous and be actually "afraid" of certain mobs, which greatly affects the gameplay.

If a creeper just sent you back to spawn and knocked a whole in the landscape, it really wouldn't be a big deal unless it caught you offguard. As it is, it's actually frantic to a degree because that Creeper can "ruin your day", as it were.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

PalmTreeFun posted:

Creepers are still scary as gently caress and explosions are still bad if they happen right next to your house.

Although really I could live with just death chest. The thing I hate most about losing items is the time limit, and that slipping into lava is a way bigger problem than the monsters.

But "death chest" and a lack of timeline removes the risk inherent in traveling away from your bed/ spawn. Exploration loses all "risk" involved when there's no intrinsic danger involved.

Risk and associated game-induced quasi-fear reactions associated with it are quite important to why this game is enjoyable. Honestly, if you don't want any risk, you might as well just be sticking with Creative, since it's essentially the same thing then. Even Peaceful has some associated risk based around idiocy/ accidents. By making you apprehensive about dangers, the game plays off your emotions. Removing all dangers by removing all "punishments" kind of kills that outright.

Without it the game is very boring :psyduck: You can't have an "adventure" without risk.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Sep 6, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

trandorian posted:

Except I remember when beds were first introduced that it was going to ruin the game so much to not have to go back to original spawn according to a lot of people! You were supposed to have to trek a thousand blocks on foot with no items if you died, according to them , or minecraft wasn't fun.

Strawmans are cool! wait, no, they aren't

The point is intrinsic risk involved. The whole point of beds is allowing you to "set" where your home is. Your safe haven. If you leave your safe haven, you are no longer safe. You are forced to prepare for it, ready for it, mentally and physically in the game mechanics. The risk is all part of the whole bloody game.

It's not a matter of ARE YOU HARDCORE ENOUGH, it's a a matter of basic risk-reward pysche stuff. You want good stuff, and you have to risk bad stuff to get good stuff. This is how "adventures" work. Walking into a shopping mall where your antics might result in you being sent outside the mall before coming back in to grab your MP3 player is different from, say, breaking into an abandoned run down shopping mall where you run the risk of physical harm / legal troubles. The adrenaline induced by the risk is why "adventuring" is fun at all.

And when you gently caress up, yeah it's frustrating. Thankfully, this is just a video game though, and all it does is make you even more paranoid about the danger in the future. Which is kind of the entire point of "Minecraft": build a thing while holding off the risks at hand. Having a hand-burning moment that reminds you that there is an actual penalty to not being cautious keeps you always on your toes and aware of the risk. If the worst that can happen to you is that you have to walk ___ feet to grab your chest, or even just be sent back to your home, there's nothing to lose there. Worst case scenario you have to backtrack. Gasp.

Without any sort of item decay or risk of losing items, the game is just creative with mobs in and a grind.

e: it's the whole reason why the Nether has Ghasts, even. The reward is the fast travel/ rare resources, the risk is one of the most difficult to handle mobs in the game. Risk, reward. Danger from exploring from "home", associated rewards for managing to do so successfully. By approaching the situations intelligently you can mine yourself safely. That's basically Minecraft in a nutshell.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 6, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It encourages you keep yourself "full", much like in real life.

I can't see it be a big issue. It just makes food more interesting, in my opinion.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Minecraft needs to add an option for those who like to deal with monsters, but don't like being killed by monsters

e: Minecraft needs to an an option for those who like to deal with monsters, but hate having to mine stuff to fight monsters

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

poemdexter posted:

What's Cobalt?

It's a game that Mojang is publishing by another developer.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

FidgetyRat posted:

Better yet, has Mojang released anything about Scrolls besides "It's called Scrolls!"

It's kind of like Magic the Gathering basically

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
If Scroll manages somehow to beat Magic I will eat a hat. And I don't mean a fruit one.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Dush posted:

Are you prepared to toxx that poo poo? :smug:

I have never played Magic and probably never will, and I can guarantee this will be true, toxx or not.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I don't think Scrolls is going to like... flash in the pan die out, but I don't see it taking major market changing share or supplanting Magic. It's possible for there to be more than one fantasy card game. It's just that in the end game, I'm just pretty sure Magic will outlast it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Broken Loose posted:

Wait wait I'm confused, they removed healing items from the game?? And replaced them with cancer???

Food items fill your "energy" bar. Energy is used implicitly in healing you and explicitly in actions like sprinting.

So no, you don't just slather a porkchop on ribcage anymore and magically heal anymore. They went for a somewhat more realistic survival mechanic.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Dush posted:

That's... cool, I guess. Makes fights less dumb and more tense at least.

Yeah, it doesn't make a big difference for people who generally don't get into big tussles too often, but it's a great change for people who enjoy the more dangerous side of adventuring.

It makes Survival mode reasonably more survival-y.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Also, it's worth pointing out that 1.8 is probably going to be delayed again, what since there's a game-breaking bug still in that Jeb wasn't unable to fix before going home for the weekend.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Mojang are pretty cool dudes.

Seeing as how it was deliberately leaked, it's okay to leak it in here.

:siren: Minecraft 1.8 Pre-Release :siren:

Warning: Buggy, it's just a purposeful leak for the weekend.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 9, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It seems I consistently have that crash error Jeb was talking about when he was bug fixing or whatever. It crashes a lot due to overflow issues or whatever.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I like how towns form, in that sometimes they form retarded and it makes it interesting to wonder what sort of weird peoples would manage to inhabit them as they are.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Is the frequent issues I have with memory causing Minecraft to close the session/ save and go "hey, the game is hosed, restart" just a general bug or is it something I'm doing wrong setting wise? I basically switched the minecraft.jar from 1.8 into the .minecraft/bin/ folder and replaced an old one

Zorak fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 10, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

If you were using any mods, did you clear out any leftover files from them?

It's a fresh install of Minecraft on this system.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Krinkle posted:

SA shits itself today when I try to send personal messages, but how did you do this? was the server leaked too? the server file I ran still tried to run 1.7x even though I put the minecraft.jar into .minecraft/bin/

The server was leaked.

I'm wondering more how people are connecting to SMP servers; I thought you could only connect offline to this version, which would prevent you to playing on SMP, no?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Anyone have any good tiny islands in giant sea seeds?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Is there a working way to get a map ala cartographer for 1.8 Pre maps?

Spent about 2 or 3 hours exploring an ocean before FINALLY finding an island/ biome large enough that wildlife spawned on it. Want to see how terrible our pattern was.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Wow, if anyone with a ton of XP dies in a way that their XP globes are stuck in Physics, it basically kills the map.

My SMP was basically locked up until I managed to crawl over to where the person died and absorb the XP. The XP which absorbed for like three minutes straight :geno:

Zorak fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Sep 11, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

EightBit posted:

Man, all I wanted out of the terrain generator was some huge friggin caverns. Guess I got them:

:allears:

I got that beat. The scale's a bit different since this was made with Cartograph, but this is what it took to find land in my world. The map is scaled down by 25% from what Cartograph outputs:

Edit: the full-size map if anyone's interested:

My and nipponnifties' adventure was better

We started on the island far to the left, then moved east-ish.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

qxan posted:

I hate to ask but... seed?

It's the same ocean seed that been repeatedly posted in here.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Is there a reason why on my SMP server, no one can destroy any blocks in the Nether at all? It's very strange. It's not spawn protection I'm pretty sure, since it persisted after I opped everyone, as well as when we moved well out of range of spawn.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Can someone link the 1.8 Pre 2 client and server again? Thanks.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Bash Ironfist posted:

Mooshrooms are the best thing Notch has done in a long time. I laughed, then went 'dawwww :3:'

Someone isn't familiar with parasitic fungi~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuopJYLBvrI&hd=1

Those cows ain't cows anymore.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Minarchist posted:

It could always be worse.

Yes, please do link more dumb fanfiction based on recent youtubes people watched. I can't wait for you to link some SCP-related "it's me, I am now the creeper because I watched a youtube about creepers and it's me, it's totally me!!!"

Wait, no, don't do that. :mad:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It's a sandbox game and I'd guess a lot of you probably have hundreds of hours invested perhaps you should stop being a bit too emotional about its development cycle and whether it metamorphoses into a Fullgamefly or whatever.

There is a lot of really disproportionate reactions going on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't know, from over here it looks kind of crazy the way people take every criticism of the game as an assault on Notch's honor or their own. poo poo like "oh god Notch takes vacations" is pretty over the top, sure, but that hasn't really been the tone of discussion in this thread.

People feeling the need to whiteknight Notch because they're emotionally invested in the game/ him is bad, yes. People feeling the need to act like Notch killed their puppy because he added a thing they're not keen on to the game that they like is also bad.

Both involve misplaced emotional reactions based on emotional investment stemming from "I enjoy this game". They're both excessively emotional given the topic and this is me giving you all a note to take a pause in general and look at the situation proportionately and rationally across the board.