Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
My friends and I just created a new world with 1.8 a few weeks ago. I love it except for one thing. There are no wolves. Nowhere. I've been in and through several pine forests all over the map. Lots of other passive mobs but no wolves or signs of them. :( none of my other friends have seen any either.

Is this a thing? Anyone know why this might be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Broken Loose posted:

Because they're required to fully pursue cases that even look like they infringe on their copyright or else somebody could use those cases as legal evidence that Bethesda doesn't care and get away with actually infringing on their copyright.

It's retarded but Bethesda is doing the smart choice to avoid getting taken advantage of by a loving horrible system.

That's not how copyright works (you may be thinking of trademark).

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

1. Pickaxe
2. Shovel
3. Axe
4. Sword
5. Bow
6. Torches
7. Bread
8. Water bucket
9. Building block (dirt or cobble)

That's my base set. I'll change them up as needed (drop an axe if I'm spelunking and replace with another quick block; drop the water bucket if I'm traveling and add a boat or compass), but this is what I mostly have.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

ChewyLSB posted:

Hm, I'm surprised more people don't have a compass and a watch on their action bar. I mean the Compass is pretty moot but I like being able to see the time at any time!

1. Pickaxe
2. Shovel
3. Sword
4. Torches
5. Cobblestone
6. Bucket of Water
7. Map
8. Compass
9. Watch

I don't usually carry a bow around with me, seems like an unnecessary waste of resources. Although now that all the mobs are getting more health I may have to carry one around for creepers.

EDIT: Also, I can't believe so many people use their mousewheels to scroll through their items. Didn't you people ever play FPS's??
Nope. I didn't even know there was an option to not use mouse wheel.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

So I'm trying to connect to my world and it says "connection lost: end of stream." All of my friends are getting this too and have been for most of the day. I know the machine is up and running (map server and chat still running fine) so I assume this is a login authentication problem on the MC side.

I didn't see widespread reports of connection issues. Is there a place where announcements of this can be verified? Ways for me to test what might be wrong? Perhaps most importantly, ways for me to work around or fix this?

e: http://mc.nexua.org/ and http://minecraftstatus.net/ suggests that the login servers are up. Not sure what to make of this.

Petey fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 24, 2011

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Evilreaver posted:

Akliz has a Twitter feed that says they're having server woes.

http://twitter.com/!/aklizhosting/status/128194789819686912

Yeah what's weird is that all of the mojang twitter folks say they fixed it yesterday (or earlier today, hard to tell with time different / datestamped twitter posts), and all of the "minecraft auth server status" pages say it's up, but there are still lots of people on the MC forums and elsewhere reporting it remains down.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

truncated aardvar posted:

So who here has some large mob grinders set up? I'd like to mess with TNT and arrow dispensers in my adventure world but I need lots of sulphur and arrows.

I'm good at building stupidly large, ugly buildings so I thought I might give it a shot. Also, the idea of exploiting supernatural creatures in some ye olde mass production facility appeals to me.

I have a good one. It's a pretty simple layout but it works well - I have several double chests full of sulfur and arrows.

The basic layout is an exterior wall, a 2 block wide, 2 block deep channel on all ends, and a trap floor 16 blocks square. (you can add interior channels if you like but it's unnecessary).

Stack as many trap floors as you like, with 2x2 block openings in the corners for mobs to be swept into.

On the killing level, use the lava and ladder trick to decapitate mobs, and sweep their contents into your preferred system of plumbing.

I'll try to take and post some video tomorrow.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Number 169 posted:

Is there a way to get just spiders to spawn inside a monster grinder, without using spawners? I'm trying to get loads of string to turn into wool, but I'm not that bothered by the rest of the drops (and our server has a regular grinder for those anyway).

I've tried the only tip I got from the minecraft wiki, which was to make the spawning floors only 2 high (minimum required for spiders apparently) but to make the top block glass panes (they said any transparent block is fine). I haven't yet tried glass blocks because argh so much glass but that's one of the things on my list. The other thing I need to double check is that I'm standing far enough away to make the monsters spawn.

You would still get creepers in that. It seems wasteful to me to build something only for spiders when you will get the same rate of spider spawning in a catch-all mob tower and all you need to do is fill you inventory with a single string in each cubby and leave your guy standing next to the drop area overnight.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Number 169 posted:

Well, tbh the existing mob grinder that one of my friends built kinda sucks - it allows endermen to spawn but can't kill them, it destroys most of the string because of the way the lava is placed. I did honestly think there'd be a way to get just spiders to spawn. I think I'll go whine at the server admin til they spawn me a spider spawner :)

...or just find a spider spawner in a dungeon, or make a new mob grinder. I made a mob grinder that is endermen-safe and produces about a double chest of each mob drops a (physical) day without needing to cheat anything in.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

That deviantart pic is cool but I enjoy "agony face." There's something about the idea of a creeper just running around with no brain between its ears and an open mouth of suicidal anguish that seems right.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Thinking of building an enormous (enormous) lighthouse scaffolding around my mob tower. If anyone has cool links to lighthouses that they've seen built that I could use for inspiration that would be much appreciated!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Pretty sure this is the only correct answer:

Yeah I figured it would be the most epic historical allusion but I kind of want to build a towering, simple obelisk with an enormous lava light. My friends and I have a communal area in an archipelago of mountains, and I figured this would be like an artificial mountain guarding the entrance right at the top here:

Maybe on piers rising out of the water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

302 posted:

What's the seed for this? It's a neat place.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I'm pretty sure you broke some sort of law by posting this picture without the seed and coordinates.

Whoops! Sorry. It is a beautiful world, actually: lots of mountainous archipelagos surrounded by broad oceans and then rings of forests and snow.

A related question:

Thinking of building my mob spawner tower within a lighthouse, and my "warehouse" (into which the drops will fall and our chests will be stored) underneath it. I know that there are certain rules about how close a mob can spawn (something like no closer than 20 blocks and no further than so many away from you).

My question is this: does the ~20 block "no closer than" apply to the height plane as well? If I build the tower so that the lowest spawn floor is at least 20 blocks above where we will be spending our time in the warehouse, will things still spawn? Or is the "no closer" thing ~20 XZ blocks away?

Petey fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 30, 2011