Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

SMP posted:

Hey dude, add me on steam and I can put up a test server for ya. ID is in the profile. Or hop on #yogboxchat @ synirc.net

Can I get in on this too? Heh. I'll add you on Steam as well if you don't mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

SMP posted:

Sure! It may have to wait till this evening (EST) though.

No worries. I'm at work all day anyway. No rush.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

If you play on a small server and/or use a whitelist, you can set your server to "offline mode" in order to bypass the minecraft.net check and the connection issues will go away. This should probably only be used as a temporary fix though.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

SSJ Reeko posted:

215 is a lot of pages,sorry if this's been asked a bunch. How do I remove the "Minecraft beta 1.8.1" watermark?

You can't.

Although I suspect that if you use SpoutCraft it might be fixed in that.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

JuHoZ posted:

Yogscast interview Notch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeqODZQCKyI

Jesus. I kept waiting for the interview to start. Then 5 minutes had gone by and I turned the video off.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Magmarashi posted:

Paraphrasing: "OH HO HO, We'll see who is the top banana once we get back home and make a rant with a funny voice, wherein we show that we can't be the bigger men about this and retaliate"

I'm pretty sure Lewis is going to make the video -- which is probably a good thing, because otherwise it would be in a Professor Griswald voice and wouldn't have the same punch.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Whatever happened to the Adventure Update making combat more interesting? Aside from adding weird jump-crits and blocking (which is pretty useless), I don't see any difference.

I think the issue with pre-1.8 combat wasn't that we didn't have enough control over our characters, but that enemies like zombies simply walk toward you and have no attack animation. It's really tough to get close enough to a zombie to hit it yourself without taking damage, since it doesn't have to actually do anything to hit you. The 1.8 update didn't change this at all. Sure, you can run at an enemy to knock it away now, but do this to a zombie and you'll take damage as well.

Hopefully the AI enhancements that they've hinted at will help with mob behaviour, because as things are it's pretty unimpressive.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

messagemode1 posted:

Also terrain gen in 1.0 is really awful compared to 1.8.

I can't get over how boring maps are now. I was wandering far from my home in a new map last night, and started making my way back. I headed into a forest because I knew there was one near my cave, and halfway through the forest I started having doubts, because I remembered that every forest looks literally exactly the same as every other one. Luckily, it was the right one.

I want old map generation back, at least as an optional thing. I don't even like ravines that much -- they are so random and often really out of place.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Amppelix posted:

This is definitely a step in the right direction from the old map generation

I don't think it's a step in the right direction at all. I don't need my biomes to be this obvious. Right now it's LOOK AT ALL THE TREES YOU ARE IN A FOREST THIS IS A FOREST and then you step out and it's LOOK AT THE FLAT LAND THIS IS A PLAIN and there is literally no intersection or deviation from these completely flat, boring biomes. Sure, the mountains are big, but they are just part of the big retarded mountains biome and they are all literally the same type of mountains.

I want my world to feel like an actual world, not a Settlers of Catan board.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

2 things I'd like to see:

-- Option to disable villages/ravines/strongholds/mines for servers. Could be an all-in-one option or individual for more choice.

-- A "time scale" server variable that lets us set the speed (and thus length) of days and nights. The server I play on has been using a Bukkit plugin to make days and nights 1 hour long each, and it is terrible going back to ten minutes after an update because you never have time to do anything during the day.

And because I can dream:

-- Fix the lovely map generation that 1.8 added. It's bad and awful and aside from the rivers and ravines, inferior in pretty much every other way.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

redmercer posted:

Thanks bro, but that's single player. There's no option to disable structures when a server is generating the map.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

I wouldn't mind hunger if you didn't begin starving to death in less than ten minutes of regular play.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

ItalicSquirrels posted:

Anyone know of a seed that has a raised lake near a section of plains? I'm looking to build a Roman villa complete with aquaduct but even finding plains in general has come up as a complete miss.

Unfortunately the new terrain generation doesn't make cool stuff. You might be out of luck.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Parasytic posted:

I don't know about you, but this seed I randomly typed in for 1.0 is pretty impressive. Everyone says 1.0 terrain generation sucks.

The terrain generator still make interesting stuff within biomes (like box canyons) but I think the consensus is that the problem is biomes being completely separated and distinct makes the maps more boring, generic, and predictable in general.

Before 1.8 there were a number of memorable, well-known seeds (Glacier, gargamel) that a lot of people played on because they had interesting, unique layouts and good spawn points. I haven't heard of any seeds since 1.8 that have gotten as much attention as those -- and the reason is because every map essentially looks the same because they are patchworks quilts of completely uniform biomes.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

No, you see, we got 'adventure' in the 'adventure update' which didn't improve combat and ruined terrain generation forever.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Barn Owl posted:

is there a new equivalent to gargamel?

Since 1.8 there are no memorable, unique seeds. The age of Glacier and gargamel is over.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Enzer posted:

Well, the good thing is that unless the source code has a new owner, you wont have to worry about MCmmo anymore as the developer stopped working on it and minecraft mods in general. He said he would give the source to someone else, but I am unsure if that has happened yet.

mcMMO development has been officially taken over by another dev, but he hasn't posted anything yet or updated the mod. It'll be interesting to see what level of commitment he has to it.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Walliard posted:

Lately I've lost interest in building and am just exploring. It's a nice change of pace and it makes Hardcore tolerable, but even that's starting to lose its novelty.

Exploring became pretty pointless when 1.8 changed maps to consist of completely boring cookie-cutter biomes instead of, you know, interesting terrain.

I'm getting pretty disillusioned with Minecraft. The maps are no fun anymore and nothing is really happening with the game. Jeb took over and is fixing some poo poo I guess but I don't want to have to wait a year for the game to be fun again.

I've posted about this a lot in this thread, but I honestly think that the change to terrain generation in 1.8 was the worst loving thing that Notch could have possibly done for the game. Maps used to be unique and fun to explore, and now they are just terrible and all the same. I started a server with some friends just before Beta 1.7 and we had an amazing world, and for a period of three or four months we all played like crazy, building different towns and connecting them with infrastructure and whatnot. Since 1.8 and beyond we're down to 1-2 players on a good day.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

If you think terrain is boring, you haven't explored any of it.

Every biome looks exactly the same as every other biome of that type, except for the mountain biomes, which are just terrible and useless and have floating chunks of dirt everywhere.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Vertigus posted:

The enchanting stuff is just bizarre. The last thing I would've thought of when implementing leveling would be to just use it for enchanting items and that alone.

I think this is one of the things that bothers me about the direction Minecraft has been going. Everything that is implemented is done so in the laziest, most awkward way possible, usually defying all logic.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

MustangCharlie posted:

It's been a while since I last played Minecraft, I think I last played 1.5, but is the Adventure mode implemented yet? I remember hearing talk of quests and NPCs, but I'm a little skeptical as to whether these features have made it yet.

There's no such thing as Adventure Mode. Notch heard people talking about wanting it and just took the word 'Adventure' and made an 'Adventure Update' that didn't include anything anybody wanted and ruined terrain generation forever.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

I wonder if the inclusion of wells is a sign that there will be a thirst meter in the future?

If you are right I am quitting Minecraft forever

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Enchanting is even more hilarious, because to gather the experience points needed to enchant things, you have to spend a lot of time with Minecraft's terrible combat system.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

SMP posted:

There is none, all seeds are boring and/or the same these days.

I'm glad someone agrees with me on this.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

poemdexter posted:

What exactly happened to terrain generation since last year? I'm noticing a lot of boring sloping hills and everything is an island with vast oceans. It's really very boring to play on and I have yet to find a seed that has interesting terrain. It's all plains and desert and swamps but all flat.

The update from 1.7 to 1.8 changed (read: ruined) terrin generation by making maps into patchwork quilts of distinct biomes. The problem with this is that somehow Mojang (read: Notch) managed to make it so every biome looks exactly the same as every other biome of its type, and what's worse, for some reason one of the biomes is "mountains" and there are literally no mountains outside mountain biomes. Basically the only thing that makes seeds unique now is which biomes you spawn near. There are literally no interesting seeds because all maps are essentially the same.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

corticalstim posted:

Eraform

This is actually a really cool suggestion.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

NeilPerry posted:

Can't they just start producing DLC with more radical options at reasonable prices? Everyone would end up buying it anyway. Or did they state somewhere that once you buy Minecraft you get all updates for free?

At the rate Mojang does stuff they'd have enough content for a new DLC every fourteen years or so.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Has anyone ever had the issue of trying to connect to a server and just being booted back to the title screen? It happens about 75% of the time on my new server and I don't know what's causing it. :\

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Oggumogoggum posted:

Has anyone ever had the issue of trying to connect to a server and just being booted back to the title screen? It happens about 75% of the time on my new server and I don't know what's causing it. :\

Figured this out. For anyone having the same problem: My server was the second in my server list, which meant when I double-clicked it my mouse would be directly over the 'cancel' button that appears when connecting. Somehow this button was also getting pressed, which booted me back to the title.

Solution: Move the server somewhere else in the list, or use the 'Join server' button instead of double-clicking.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

BitBasher posted:

Oh poo poo. How much space does a ghast need to spawn? I may be rolling the dice in a really bad way.

I believe it's 5x5x5 blocks of air, but I could be wrong.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

Who wants to bet that "mouseclick carries over from the menu and makes you shoot once the game starts" bug will still be there when this gets released?

Oh, it will be there. It will.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Vanadium posted:

Eldpack dude owns.

Holy poo poo I KNEW that palette reminded me of something.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Leofish posted:

I came across an interesting seed

There are no interesting seeds anymore. All worlds look pretty much alike.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

About a year ago, maybe two, a goon posted a huge massive adventure map he'd made called the Water Temple. At the time, the map was so large and complex that a lot of people weren't able to get a decent framerate, and so I don't think a ton of people here played it. It was a huge adventure map that featured a pretty decent storyline provided in the form of signs (notes left in the abandoned city and temple). I'd say the map had about ten hours of content to explore, easily.

To alleviate the issue, the creator decided to separate the adventure into 9 "chapters", and began reworking the map and releasing it in stages on the official forums. But he only got to chapter 4/9, and I guess life caught up with him or something.

I played through the original map -- the version that had the entire adventure pre-episodification. I am being completely serious when I say that not only was it one of the best experiences I have had in Minecraft, it may be one of the most memorable video game experiences of my life.

Unfortunately, that was years ago, and I don't have the original map. I would love to play it again. Does anyone remember this? Erek, are you out there?

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Nita posted:

I hope you don't mind mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/?hdavabfnnhskkl2

I know that all the performance issues were solved for the map when Notch changed the file format to something not completely retarded. The texture pack included needs an update as well.

Amazing. Thank you so much!

There have been a lot of changes to Minecraft since this was relevant (double doors, redstone mechanics, even sprinting). I might just have to go through and update it to make it playable as it originally was. More people need to experience this.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

I'm pretty particular about my texture packs. When I found Xenocontendi I thought I'd discovered the pack I'd be happy with for a while, but eventually I got to tweaking it a little bit, changing some colours here and there, animating a torch. Small stuff.

About a year later I've brought in items and textures from several other packs. I started distributing the pack to friends and players on my server, and dubbed it FrankenPack. You can download it here.

This texture pack is based on Xenocontendi but borrows textures from SMP Revival, Isabella II, and Diu Vea. A lot of care has been taken to make sure the merged textures work well together

Please note that aside from a few tweaks, I didn't create any of this stuff. All credit goes to the original creators. But I really like the pack that I've cobbled together, and I feel like other people might too.

Screenshots from FrankenPack v3.1.3:

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

I've been messing with Erek's Water Temple map since someone posted it here again a while ago. The map was made before a lot of 'modern' features were implemented, like beds, horizontal logs, and maybe even pistons. Most of the double doors are broken, as are most of the chests.

I've got a local copy of the map and I'm updating it to be playable in modern Minecraft, replacing the "wool blocks" imitation beds with actual beds, fixing chest orientations and double chest, and mending all of the broken double doors. I'm also re-typing the PDFs that Erek included for backstory as actual in-game books. It's a huge project but I'm hoping that it will make the map playable as it once was. I've PMed Erek but he's been absent from the forums for quite a long time.

Here are a few shots of the work in progress.

Malsgrein fucked around with this message at Jan 28, 2013 around 20:40

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

xanthan posted:

You directly typing the books or just copy/pasting in ~250 character chunks?

Typing. I didn't know you could copy/paste. Can you?

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

King Hotpants posted:

Akliz is well thought-of around here. I was with them for about a year and I have no complaints.

Seconding Akliz. I've been with them for probably close to 2 years and have never had any problems. Their support and service are top-notch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Oggumogoggum posted:

I've been messing with Erek's Water Temple map since someone posted it here again a while ago. The map was made before a lot of 'modern' features were implemented, like beds, horizontal logs, and maybe even pistons. Most of the double doors are broken, as are most of the chests.

I've got a local copy of the map and I'm updating it to be playable in modern Minecraft, replacing the "wool blocks" imitation beds with actual beds, fixing chest orientations and double chest, and mending all of the broken double doors. I'm also re-typing the PDFs that Erek included for backstory as actual in-game books. It's a huge project but I'm hoping that it will make the map playable as it once was. I've PMed Erek but he's been absent from the forums for quite a long time.

Here are a few shots of the work in progress.

Thought I'd make a happy post to report that I have heard back via PM from Erek, who has given me the go-ahead to finish fixing his map and to re-release it. I'll post more progress shots as I get more done.

«2 »