Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Only put torches on the left hand walls, then follow with torches on the right to find the way out. That, or write down the coordinates of your home, and just tunnel out and walk overground following the coords back.

What I do is more labor-intensive, but makes for a much nicer-looking cave (and is easier if you accidentally break into the cave from above and lose your bearing):

Dig a path and use cobblestone (or wood, not recommended near lava though) wherever you go. When you reach a dead end, backtrack to the entrance (using your nifty new cobble path!) and build a cobblestone arch with the torches on the "out" side.

At intersections or whatnot, build a 2 or 3 high cobble pillar on the side of the cobble path that leads out and put torches all over it so you can see it from a distance.

Also, signs never hurt. "This way out ---->" is about as unambiguous as it gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

fondue posted:

He should remove the "f3 = see all monster tags" debug key while he's at it.

I really hope he doesn't remove this feature. It's the only way I can see monsters because I can't hear them. This game is not very deaf-friendly (or for those who can't/don't play with speakers) and I'll be damned if a mob kills me/knocks me off my building/pushes me into lava because I can't hear them coming or attacking. Besides, my heart can only take so many jump-out-of-my-skin episodes caused by a suddenly-appearing monster.

Call me a dirty rotten cheater if you must, but leave me my F3. :colbert:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

EightBit posted:

There are lots of games where no sound = surprise death. Even with sound, creepers can still get in your zone unless you're completely paranoid.

I don't play those games, obviously. Minecraft is a good balance, and F3 makes it easier for me. Creepers still get me even when my areas are well lit for a good distance, though, and my hearing friends tell me that they can't hear creepers until it's too late anyway, so it's not like I can do much about it. I just try not to go cave spelunking too much, and when I do, I always carry stacks of torches and a bow with plenty of arrows. Different strokes for different folks.

Paranoia in Minecraft is good. They really are out to get you!

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've finally gotten back into MC because of 1.8 coming soon. I've only read the last 4-5 pages of this thread, so forgive me if this has been beaten to death, but will I have to regen a new world once it hits? I know that, normally, you have to explore new chunks in order to have new stuff appear, but will this be any worse than that?

Have to, no. Want it to look good/fit in with your existing world without a lot of manual chunk edge landscaping, yes.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Miijhal posted:

All mobs, including squid and ghasts, can ride in minecarts. It can lead to amusing things like person on pig on squid on minecart, if you have access to a decent /spawnmob commmand.

Ghasts... can ride in minecarts? :ohdear:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

glitchwraith posted:

Is mushroom stew and cake stackable in 1.8? Tried it with the stew in the first pre-release and noticed it wouldn't stack, which makes it kind of pointless considering how easy it is to load up on cooked steak and pork chops. Did that change for the second pre-release, or the official one?

Read the patch notes.

quote:

All food (except Mushroom Stew) is stackable.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Saw this on Reddit - this needs to happen:

I want. Yes, this needs to happen, and I'm tired of wooden fences.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

DR AIDS posted:

Torch trick you say? Go on.

Power-mining gravel (or sand)

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Sylink posted:

Can someone clear this up, do changes to the terrain code mean you can continue using an existing world and any new chunks you activate will have the new poo poo?

Or do you have to make a new one completely for anything to appear?

Seems like it would be easier to play around now, then migrate everyone to -10000,-10000 on a server to see the new stuff.

You can use an existing world, but no new features will be generated in the chunks you've already explored. Once you go outside those boundaries, then the new biome generation will kick in and you'll get the new features.

My server has a SMP that was generated during Alpha and I set up a Nether-portal 10,000 (surface) meters away from Spawn so that we can have Spawn2 for 1.8. I'll dig yet another 1k meters away for 1.9, and we'll re-start the server with a completely new map when Minecraft officially releases.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

aeiou posted:

It's hard to tell what we're looking for. I think there are some sparkles in the cave, maybe to help spotting ore underground? I could be wrong though. Really like the small effects like this and the dripping water. It makes the world feel a bit more fantasy.

Maybe I'm blind or something, but I'm not seeing anything new. What are you seeing?

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

:catstare: I started building Minas Tirith in Alpha. It still isn't done. These guys essentially built a less-tiered Minas Tirith in 16 hours. I admit defeat.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Pictures make everything better!

Also, re-playing old games gives me GREAT Minecraft building ideas:

daggerdragon fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 3, 2012

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

poemdexter posted:

You should use imgur or something because http://www.kinkybondagesquirrels.com/ is blocked for me (and possibly others viewing from work). You'll never guess why.

I love my domain name :D Anyway, edited the original post just for you.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Penguingo posted:

Can you name some of these things.

You were beaten a few pages back with this, I'm afraid.

Well, I wasn't getting inspiration to make all of Hyrule, just that little fountain area that can easily be plopped on my front lawn.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's because SA's link parser mangles it and removes the # before the !. Add that # yourself and it should work. The way around this when posting twitter links is to manually add url tags and not rely on the link parser. https://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/status/169511353197920256

THANK YOU! This was frustrating me forever.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

I just upgraded to 1.2 and of course made a beeline for PainterlyPack for updates. What the hell happened to the site? It's impossible to read or find the associated images, and they're staggered left and right.

There's a whole lot of wasted space on the right, and what was wrong with having

Text ..... icon
Text ..... icon

?

I'm sorry, kas, but that's almost unusuable. What happened?

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

The layout is a weird fixed pixel width thing that's broken in non-Chrome.

Try zooming in a level or two if you're using Firefox.

Thank you. That was the solution, back to normal (if very, very tiny font) now.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Necrosaro posted:

Marshmallow Creeps! With a hint of sulfur. I wonder if they explode in your stomach.

I would eat the hell out of these. I love Peeps.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Esme posted:

From Jeb's Twitter:

Is this... a rudimentary buying and selling interface? Testificates might actually do something in the future! :aaaaa:

I like how he's got 2 villagers trapped in a wooden house with stone separating them.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Esme posted:

Oh yeah, he also posted a picture of his setup for Testificate testing:

Jeb is a cruel, cruel merchant-master. :whip: :10bux:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Dangerous Mind posted:

Hey I'm not sure if this is the correct thread but earlier I DL'd the demo client but when I click "Play Demo" after logging in I get this:

I honestly can't tell if it's stuck like that or just updating. I have no idea what's up.

From the Wiki's patch notes:

quote:

Includes demo mode. Note: Clicking on demo mode without the game installed will not work, and instead freeze at game updating and not download.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Rotten Cookies posted:

It's a Beacon Block according to minecraftwiki. http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/WIP_Block

So you build a pyramid out of iron/gold/diamond/emerald and depending on how tall the pyramid is, it gives you those effects?

The wiki says the "simplest arrangement" for a pyramid is 9 diamond blocks. Hm.

That sounds freaking neat.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

KrautHedge posted:

Anyone else having issues with testificates falling into the ground? It doesn't seem to hurt them.

Mine are, and it's not just on half-blocks. They'll go wandering around and then sink halfway into the block and "swim" around, and pop back up like normal a few blocks away. Removing those blocks and replacing them doesn't do anything, they'll just sink somewhere else. :iiam:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

It let's you see into the nether, but everything looks eight times as large.
Conversely, from the nether looking into the overworld, you can see eight times as far.

8x-sized ghast. :gonk:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Ironically, if you want to find a mushroom biome, you have to explore the ocean. They only exist as ocean islands.

Oh so that's what we've been doing wrong on our server looking for mushroom biomes. Time to make a bunch of boats.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Kitty on a mushroom :3:

I do love those flowers. My entire server has been waiting impatiently for 1.7 just for flowers.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

FPzero posted:

If I remember right, you could somehow turn a wolf into a Wolf Companion Cube. It was basically a block of wool with a wolf face on it that I think barked and whined. You could grind it up using one of the machines for some reason to turn it into meat and bone.

You also had to imprison wolves in mostly dark rooms in order to make them poop themselves. Then you would take the poop and use it to tan leather for other machines.

From that tanned leather you could then make a leather armor set that was actually a gimp set and assless chaps complete with a pixelated rear end on the seat of the pants.

:psyduck:

wat :psyduck:

Is this person mentally ill, or is the fandom seriously that insane? :psyduck:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

The B_36 posted:

You're really that shocked that someone on the internet made something that's weird because of a warped sense of humour? You do realize what forum you're posting to right? And in a game where people show off their intricately detailed cobblestone penis', "torturing wolves" is what blows your mind?

There's "warped sense of humor" (I have built quite a few giant golden dongs while giggling like a 12 year old) with assless chaps (seen worse skins in the database) and then there's "sociopathic tendencies", even with said wolves being virtual. If a normal, sane person hated wolves that much, they would have just written a mod to remove wolves from the game entirely. Building an entire mod around torturing the wolves is just :psyduck:

Something ain't right with Flowerchild, masterful troll or not.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Baby zombies will fit in 1x1 holes in 1.7. This pisses me off so much because I'll have to modify my grinder somehow to dump baby zombies into lava before they reach the mobevator. :(

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

ScienceAndMusic posted:

So is riding horses for anyone else a laggy mess? When I hop on a horse and go exploring on my server the movement is so janky its practically a menace. In fact it finally happened where I warped into lava. Is this just how riding horses online is?

No, it's not. 1.7 really screwed up lag, and horses and boats seem to make it worse. If someone is off exploring new chunks, the entire server will lag for 5-15 seconds. It's incredibly annoying and I hope they fix it ASAP.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Isn't Grimrock already a modernized FPDC? Why go "retro" in this case?

Agh, you just had to go and mention Grimrock. :argh: I'm still stuck at that one level and it's driving me nutsssss

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

kas posted:

Also wanted to let people know (I've asked mod permission to post this) - you can now buy Painterly-textured blocks to make all your minecraft stuff in real life! I'm pretty excited about this: http://www.modelblocks.com/

We're still working on site design and that's partly my fault for dragging my heels on getting proper graphics up, so I apologize for a bunch of clipart-type stuff that's there temporarily, but the site is fully functional, and it's got tons of photos of the blocks so you can see them close up.

The blocks are seriously top-notch quality, and my associate Wade (who is producing them) has managed to get them down to twelve cents a block, so they're pretty dang affordable, too. They're made of the same material as your standard sort of hobby dice, and Wade's currently working out a deal with the raw material distributors to get stairs and half-block slabs made up too. You can even contact him directly to get any painterly texture done if you want to match your pack exactly - he's got full access to the library of textures. I'm a giant dork so I want to just say I use mine for D&D mapping stuff too. Anyways, enough babbling - seriously, please check em out - I'm super excited that they're a thing - I've never had my own merch before. :)

As if I didn't have enough money before, now I gots to have these. :catstare:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

FPzero posted:

I think this is basically a rite of passage for new minecraft players.

I've been playing this game for years and I still sometimes manage to burn down my houses trying to squeeze in as compact a fireplace as possible. Hint: glass doesn't work.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Lava Oceans: Yes

That is basically the sum total of my feelings on the subject.

Lava Oceans: YES...

If I made that map, my game play would be summed up succinctly as thus:

code:
[2:04] daggerdragon tried to swim in lava.
[2:06] daggerdragon tried to swim in lava.
[2:07] daggerdragon tried to swim in lava.
[2:10] daggerdragon tried to swim in lava.
[2:10] daggerdragon tried to swim in lava.
[2:11] daggerdragon tried to swim in lava.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Speedball posted:

Do Snow Golems melt? I made one and it vanished.

Also: player-made Iron Golems. Do they hang around one spot or can they defend you? Do they despawn?

You didn't bother to read the wiki, did you?

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Snow_Golem posted:

Snow Golems "melt" (take damage) in Deserts, Mesas, Jungles, Savannas, the Nether, and when in contact with rain or water.

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Iron_golem posted:

If you use a lead on an iron golem, the golem will follow you almost anywhere you go, as long as it is within the range of the lead. The golem will then protect you from any hostile mobs that come near you, with the exception of creepers. Also, if you tie an iron golem to a fence with a lead near your house, it protects your home from hostile mobs.

And no, they won't despawn.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Enzer posted:

And Jeb is showing off this:

Saying that is supports "up to something like 400^6 patterns".

Also, for some reason it always surprises me (and explains so much) when I hear how young some of the employees at Mojang are. Dinnerbone being 22 especially.

I want these so hard. What are they?

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

I don't like the whole Microsoft acquisition, but there's nothing we can do about it.

What I'm worried about is stagnating development for desktop and what's going to happen to the modders. Kas's texture pack has made Microsoft so, so much more visually enjoyable for me, and such good quality that if Microsoft shuts down the modding community, I just... feel very badly for the ones who've put so much time and effort into a truly awesome game.

We'll see.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

kas posted:

I'm not going to chime in strongly one way or the other on the whole Microsoft thing, but I do have a bit of a concern with this merger, only because I have a written, but informal, agreement with Mojang on using some of their textures through the customizer, what and how much of the Minecraft name and branding I can use with the site, and any merch/promotional stuff I do, and other behind the scenes sort of stuff of that nature.

While this shouldn't affect Painterly unless they get extremely anal about the brand, there's still an outside possibility that Microsoft decides they don't like what I'm doing or whatever, and I'm fairly dubious that they are going to actually acknowledge or honour any of these previous agreements I've had with Mojang - so I remain somewhat cautious about the whole affair moving forward.

Thanks for replying. You and the other modders are the ones I'm worried about, not the Mojang employees. You've spent many nights developing artwork and code to provide a good, solid product so we can have more fun with Minecraft. I just really hope Microsoft doesn't screw you over too badly. We'll see.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Welp, auth servers are down. I didn't want to dig some blocks before work anyway. :downs:

Edit: back up.

daggerdragon fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I was gonna go with loving creepers myself. :argh:

In the same vein:
"loving skeletons"
"loving spiders"
"loving endermen"
"loving guardians"
"loving end dragon"
etc.