Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I would actually prefer if there were stat increases. I saw a bukkit plugin that would give certain perks when you reached a determined level threshold. For instance, at level 30 mining you would gain a 10% chance to get a double pop on whatever block you mined. This would require extensive balance, but you could extend it to all sorts of different things in the game.

I would also like it if specific food had limited time stat boosts as well. Pork could, for example, offer you a 5% bonus to strength or whathaveyou. Tailoring foods for different situations gives each food a role, and makes for more interesting gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Saying that Vib Rib is terrible at the game is unnecessarily dismissive. I think these are legitimate points he brings up. I've been using Deathchest AND DeathTP on my bukkit server for a while, and everyone who's used it agrees it's good. DeathTP isn't necessary, but the chest is something that's always missed.

It's not as if Vib Rib is saying that everyone HAS TO abide by his suggested mechanics, he just thinks it should at least be an option.

As someone else already brought up, the ultimate resource in this game is time. To have your entire night of hard work go up in smoke is pretty drat punitive and frustrating to say the least, regardless of the myriad ways to safeguard against it. I think instead of attacking individuals, we think of something that is a good compromise that's balanced, fair and still fun.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Why is it necessary to to have to jump between two extremes, and not give users more control over what they'd like to see?

Granted, I don't think the game is that difficult to begin with, but more customization wouldn't hurt if you ask me.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
If people can manage to make drag and drop plugins for bukkit and have them integrate with dozens of others, I don't see what would make something like what's been talked about an impossibility.

The severity of death is largely a multitude of factors, not just the fact you lost everything. It's made worse by the time investment away from your house (with presumably a full bag), distance from house, time taken to acquire said items, as well as rarity / quality. Not all deaths are equal.

If you ask me, the penalty for death should shift away from perma-losing items to losing buffs and perks earned from XP. Items could be stored in a deathchest and the penalty for death is the opportunity cost of having to recover the items, as well as XP loss (or something else). Most often I die within a massive cave, and trying to find your way back can often be a 15 to 20 minute task in and by itself.

I think of death as I would any other game in which I've forgotten to save; namely that it was something stupid I did that resulted in me wasting hours of time with nothing to show for it. Allowing people to adjust the kind of game they want to play would tailor to almost everyone's situations and allow for maximum "fun," whatever your idea of that might be.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
With oceans now this big I really want there to be a way to make big ships. Maybe something like the parenting tool from Garry's Mod, along with a controller block / seat.

I want to ply those waters in a galleon dammit.

To make it even more fun, setting up supply chains would be really cool I think.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Actually, I too have noticed how much more deadly they've become. I can't wait until bukkit updates so I can nerf those fuckers to not perma destroy items.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
I think notch needs to add more progression to the game. When I say progression, I mean it less like Terraria and more like Civilization's "interesting choices" mechanic. It usually follows the vein of "forgo something now to get something better later, depending on the situation." At heart, they're economic incentives.

Like Civilization, it's usually agreed that the beginning of a new map is the most interesting. There are a set of immediate goals that the player must fulfill in order to not fail. Those goals shift at a certain point from mere survival, to something loftier (floating castles).

1.8's hunger bar extended that survival period by introducing an incentive to find a sustainable food source. This created more tension and excitement where there was previously little (and even more so on archipelago maps!). The upcoming animal breeding mechanic, I fear, will shorten that hunger incentive mechanic by allowing a player to easily breed animals that have a higher food quality than wheat. To make either choice more interesting there needs to be a trade-off, such as animal husbandry being a long term (and costly to setup) food source, as opposed to agriculture which requires sedentary activity but is easy to start. Combined foods (such as steak sandwiches) would also encourage players to do both activities, but not make it a requirement.

My thoughts however are all conjecture and until Notch implements it we will not know for certain.

Besides farming, I'd also like to see things such as saws, lathes, and forges implemented. Saws and lathes could increase the yield from crafting items. For example, using a saw-workbench (or something) would yield 8 planks from a log instead of 4. You could also make it percentage based, with cumulative returns based on the number of saws you have in a system. Using a forge-workbench would increase tool durability, or speed.

Such items wouldn't be necessary for the beginning of the game, but would take out some of the tediousness of the late game, allowing players to concentrate on their creations and less on logistics. Notch needs to analyze the game and figure out when survival becomes less fun and more chore, and implement things accordingly.

I know the Better Than Wolves mod did a lot of this already; I'd just really like to see it implemented in the vanilla game.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

That sounds nice for a lot of the more hardcore players, but I think those are things better left for modders. There are 3.5 million sold copies of Minecraft. While people here and on MineCraft Forum might like that kind of stuff, we're not the majority fanbase. Most people I know who play are proud when they figure out how to make half-steps. They might enjoy watching other people make complicated poo poo, but I'd guess most players don't actually want to build it themselves. Ideally, I see Minecraft like Bethesda's open world games: There's the game, but everything is open for people to change with mods. Just look at what people did with Morrowind. If the tools are there, anything you want, you just have to wait for, or make it yourself, the sky is the limit.

Notch has already implemented an achievement system which is actually a hands-off tutorial. Expanding this to encompass new changes allows newbies to slowly acquire game knowledge instead of inundating them with features.

A lot of modders have good ideas but I doubt they really analyze much in terms of game development. I've heard that a lot of problems with mods stem from a lack of understanding as to what makes a game challenging, yet fun. The Aether mod, for example, has mobs that are just obnoxious, both in behavior and to kill. Coupled with the fact that combat in MC is shallow and building is its forte, new enemies are a bad game design decision. New blocks and avenues to acquire them, however, adds depth.

My ideas add an additional, non-required (gameplay wise) layer to the underlying mechanic of the game, which is building things. In order to build things, you need blocks. Gathering said blocks is fun at first, but gets tedious when you need large amounts. Giving the players a road to mitigate the tediousness allows concentration on the fun aspect, which is imagination and construction.

I disagree that these few new items would suddenly make the game too hardcore.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

:psyduck:

As if the process weren't convoluted enough already.

We're entering JRPG territory here!

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
He should change the speed icon to the rabbit and the jump to a kangaroo.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
I haven't seen anyone mention this, but what about a block that acts as a switch upon being struck by an arrow? Allows you to activate redstone contraptions from a distance. I actually don't care about redstone in any capacity, but I think it could open interesting avenues.

Anyone with a twitter account care to tweet that to Notch?

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
How are you guys hosting 1.9 PR servers? I thought only the client was released.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,

Nenonen posted:

Server jars have been released with each pre-release, although for some reason Jeb doesn't mention them in his tweets. But you usually can find the link to the server jar in minecraftforum.net

Here's the latest server file.

Many thanks! I've been dying to try out the new additions, I just don't care for single player anymore.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Insta-death from creepers even with pieces of armor is loving obnoxious. They need to be nerfed a bit.

Ok I'm done bitching.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,

glitchwraith posted:

This mourning I managed to survive two creepers exploding one after the other literally in my face thanks to a full set of iron armor. And I know I've survived half that much damage wearing a full set of leather. So, maybe don't go cave diving until you have a full set of armor of some kind?

edit: Or play on normal difficulty if your on hard.

I do play on normal difficulty and all I had managed to make was a chestpiece. I was in the process of harvesting iron for more.

My real gripe is that creepers making no noise is in my opinion bad game design. Deaths resulting from them just feel cheap and random. I never get pissed when I die to a zombie or skeleton or spider. In those situations I can plainly see where I went wrong and adjust accordingly. If I hear mob noises, I stay away unless I'm prepared.

With creepers you just never know when they'll pop out. Coupled with them one-shotting players is just lovely. I get the feeling their strength has been upped, but that's probably just me.

This game is not difficult and never really was meant to be difficult if you ask me. Arguing that nerfing creeper damage would make the game too easy is missing the forest for the trees.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

I went through this experience. Survival was cool initially, but once the novelty wore off, the tediousness of acquiring sufficient materials to build anything of interest reared its ugly head at about the same time as all the rest of its crippling gameplay flaws; the combined result was that I never, ever wanted to touch the game again.

A couple of weeks later, in a moment of mind-numbing boredom I decided to give the game another shot, but first I ran my level through a util to change the world mode to Creative. I soon found that the fun of being able to build large-scale structures outweighed any feelings of cheapness - I guess I no longer really gave a poo poo at that point and just accepted it for the challenge-free lego game that it now was. (Well, actually it turns out there is plenty of challenge in Creative - actually building something that does true justice to the grand aesthetic that you have in your imagination is no small feat).

I've said it before, but the remedy to this is to introduce buildings / devices that can turn raw resources into a product at a greater ratio than if you did it yourself.

For example, a lumber mill of sorts will turn one log into 8 planks, instead of the 4 you'd get by doing it in your personal crafting box. This would improve gameplay enormously as it would allow megastructures and largely eliminate tedious farming, but would also give survival players another goal to work towards: setting up a mill. Hell, you could even add in tiers to the mill so that you can eke out greater and greater efficiency. Level 1 Lumber Mill = 8 plank / log; Level 2 Lumber Mill = 12 plank / log; etc.

I really wish the devs would add things like this. Instead of, you know, pissy little pet projects.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
I for one am more excited about the larger trees. I've been waiting for more tree variation since I bought the game.

Now I just wish that they'd update the other tree biomes to have just as much variation. Even better would be a mechanic where trees grow.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
All he needs to do is make it so that you start on a fixed size planet and have to progress your way up to space ships, and then can colonize and harvest other worlds.

Then have an intragalactic war with friends.

(Minecraft + Gmod (Spacebuild) + Eve Online + Spore) -Boring lovely elements = all my yens

Trivia fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 7, 2012

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
I did not! Looks like I have some research to do.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Making limited worlds with continents and larger biomes would definitely encourage more exploration. As it is now, if I want a specific resource I don't have to go very far.

Jeb needs to add more to oceans to make them more interesting.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,

wylker posted:

Is there a dedicated server mods thread? The bukkit plugin site is basically unnavigable due to the inability to use any type of useful filtering whatsoever. I'm looking for a list of super cool/desirable SMP mods/plugins for me and my friends.

The filtering on that site is horrendous. If you type a keyword it'll filter by that keyword, but then every subsequent search will only search through that previous search's results. You have to put nothing into the search bar and then it'll reload with the entire list of plugins, from which you can then re-search. I hope that makes more sense than the site. I usually just search using "1.2.4" so the most up-to-date plugins are shown.

I recommend dynmap and whatever quick tree-chop plugin you can find. Server side shops are also nice.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
The last thing Minecraft needed was another layer of grind. XP Farms are just fine.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Make XP Farm, go afk. Come back to 200+ mobs standing there. Use splash potions to kill the all, bathe in XP.

Though it is pretty stupid that you have to do other things while you're playing a game in order to play the game.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
How can I ever go back to not-Matt Damon Craft?

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,

A shrubbery! posted:

Notch: Think of the vacations, Jeb. :notch:

You're just jealous Notch & Co. hail from a country where taking vacations is not only the norm but is expected.

(I know I am).

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Hot drat that's pretty cool. Inspiring.

What's the size of that there monstrosity?

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
The best one I've seen so far is 19 paper/wheat for one emerald. That is one helluva deal.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
I wish that they would devote an update to creating items that return more yields for X resources. After the actual survival challenge is overcome, it becomes a game about building poo poo. Grinding for mats is not a good game mechanic.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,

Sultan Tarquin posted:

The plant pots would be 50x better if there were any nice plants to put in them.

Just wait until all texture packs are updated, then at least the flowers will look nice.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
They should allow custom colors for names.

On top of that, the game should also give villagers random names. I'm tired of having to hoof it all over town to find that one NPC that trades wheat for emeralds.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
I like being more of a steward than a gaoler. :(

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,

chairface posted:

Think of it as being the robots in I, Robot. Our capacity to make decisions in stewardship so far outstrip the villagers' capability to make their own decisions based on their limited intelligence. Our prison is their cradle.

My compromise I think will be to 'jail' them in a bazaar stall.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Having tables and chairs would be great. As would be a light source you can hang from a ceiling (that doesn't look like poo poo).

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Another solution would be to have a 'nest' of sorts for each mob during the night. As the light levels dim, a nest appears and spawns mobs at a fixed rate. For each spawner there is a certain amount of XP available. You can gain this XP by either killing the mobs until they stop giving XP, or gain it all by destroying the spawner. This seems like a good trade off for risk/reward, especially if each spawner has random properties as to the difficulty of the mob.

However, since combat is so drat easy in this game (and netcode so drat bad), I prefer using XP farmsx as grinding out 30 levels to get good enchants is annoying as is, and would only be worse if it were nerfed.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,

Babe Magnet posted:

Fightin' needs to be more dynamic.

Adding attack animations for enemies would go a long way in allowing the player to know when to block, for example.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Also, you should use the Optifine mod that helps with performance. On some rigs it can dramatically increase framerates. You could also look into allowing java to use more RAM as well.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Also, get a high tier helmet enchantment to increase your time underwater, as well as your mining speed.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Sunken cities and ships would just about be the coolest loving thing. Also, bio luminescent jellies.

I'm a scuba diver so anything water related would send me over the edge.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Just take a page from Terraria and introduce accessories that give different bonuses. As it stands now I don't get a rush anymore when I stumble across a chest in the world.

Give me a +jump or +mining speed or SOMETHING and I'll be ecstatic. It also incentivizes exploration, which is another main feature of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,

The Slippery Nipple posted:

I don't think I've ever been excited finding a chest. 'Oh look, 3 iron ingots, some string and a saddle :what: '

I used to have a server with a bunch of bukkit plugins, and one thing I implemented was a server store and currency system. It was great, you could sell your items and then buy other items from the store. I tried to keep it balanced.

One thing I did was make saddles worth a poo poo ton, two to three times that of diamond. They were awesome because they could single-handedly fund a massive building project. Just sell to the server and buy mats. If you run out, you could grind for more mats (lovely) or go exploring and maybe find something great.