Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

If you're getting slow performance try running the game in Linux. It's the only way I can play Minecraft on my laptop which has a GMA X3100.

In 1.6 I was getting over 300fps running the game in Ubuntu 10.04 on my 3-year old gaming PC. Max I ever got in Windows 7 was 100fps.

edit: Not sure if it has to do with running OpenJDK instead of Sun

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

BlueOccamy posted:

I have a question. I'm trying to play the second pre-release (download the jar, copy it over to the bin folder overwriting the old one), and it just blackscreens, or blackscreens and then goes white instead.

Can this be solved by (finally) downloading the new launcher and just using the exe? I've tried it with both the launcher and the browser and the launcher won't even connect, so I'm guessing I should just go do that and try again? Messing with files is confusing for someone with an English degree :sigh:

Oh, I'm on Windows 7 and have never modded my game in any way.

I personally just nuke the whole folder except for saves and texturepacks and do a fresh download every time a new release comes out.

Running the launcher will only get you the latest official release (1.8.x in this case)

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Tw1tchy posted:

I like the yogscast's explanation to themselves about it. Perhaps Notch was testing either a sky dimension or the floating biomes code (since in the level gen there's that greyed out dropdown like from indev where you could choose floating, hell, island, etc. oh how I miss island), and he left in some code and now they get generated accidentally?

It looks to me like he tried to make the sky dimension a biome that only happens after you go in that portal but instead it took effect on the overworld too, or was intentionally left in to test the algorithm.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Kind of dumb that the new content is post-tech-tree stuff (it all requires obsidian). Would be nice to be able to make speed potions in the early game when they would actually be useful. Content in the form of items doesn't really add as much depth as, you know, content that actually enhances the creative aspect of Minecraft, which is still the only real depth that the game has. Notch should be focusing on updates on the level of pistons and other construction objects which foster inspiration and creativity, which in Minecraft equals depth of play. What they've been doing lately feels lazy, and it shows as new items and mobs very quickly become commonplace occurrences or even annoyances.

Alchemy and enchantments are being added to tie up all the 'loose ends' (useless mob drop items and useless experience system) before MineCon. Oh well.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 8, 2011

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

ArfJason posted:

So uhhh, who are these yogcast people? I see them mentioned a lot and pretty much what I know about them is that they do Let's Plays of minecraft? Any goon willing to shed more light on the subject?

Definitely watch the early videos. Part 10 is hilarious.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Esme posted:

Unless this is all some kind of multilayered metajoke and I'm the one being a sucker here.

You're not. The ending is pretentious self-important crap.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Notch didn't include Esperanto. Do you know who else didn't like Esperanto? That's right

:notch:

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Once Minecraft sales level off 2-3 years from now Mojang's stated worth ethic will not be sustainable unless they manage to come up with another completely unique and novel game like Minecraft. Considering Scrolls and Cobalt, I don't think they have the ammo. By now they should have started on their next big thing already in order to keep up.

Right now the company is literally running the business model and work ethic of a 90s Dot Com firm. Notch will not care because he will leave with sacks of money and retire. Everybody else will be laid off, but I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing as any of them given the opportunity.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

It is horrible practice from a business perspective. Anybody with business sense would have just reimbursed Yogs for airfare and clarified that next time there will be no misunderstanding about content requirements for their presentation, and left it at that. Anybody with sense would have realized that Yogs and Minecraft are good for each other and just kept that relationship going. Unfortunately Yogs is still doing Minecraft videos, so Mojang doesn't learn a lesson unless they attempt a Minecon 2 and discover that "Hey! Nobody wants to do business with us!"

It all falls against the backdrop of Minecon being a terribly embarassing idea to begin with so whatever.

Mojang desperately needs a professional PR manager without pink hair and a Board of Directors to muzzle Notch.

Edit: Yes, I'm saying I could run Mojang better.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 17, 2012

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Wikipedia is the 4th or 6th most frequented site on the Internets depending on which source you use and they are completely blacked out.

Reddit although despised is also a very large website.

I wish SA had participated in the blackout, but when it comes to sites like SA/Reddit/4chan it's basically preaching to the choir to black out in opposition to Internet censorship.

Anyway Mojang is a perfect example of the type of entrepreneurial businesses that this legislation would hurt.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

As in... You only need to place every other ladder to make a climbable surface? Because I thought that looked horrible.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Multi-million dollar international company crowd-sourcing language translations and not independently verifying them, folks. Hell, they didn't even SELECT all the languages in that release.

You get what you pay for.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

I don't disagree with that. I guess I just took the :notch: usage as implication that he/they left it in there because of lolracism.

Although we can assume that it wasn't on purpose if only by the fact that you would have to be literally insane to leave that in an official release, from a business perspective it is a huge faux pas and makes it all the more transparent that even though Minecraft is "Gold" and has proven earning power, the community is still serving as their primary source of QA. We are now Mojang's paying employees.

The brand control here is just shameful, and for a product like Minecraft, brand control is everything.

Also what company is honestly so cheap as to not pay somebody to do their translations? It could cost $300-$500 tops and a free subscription to get a native speaker to translate the entire game over email in a couple of hours.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 27, 2012

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Dibujante posted:

I am a professional DE>EN and ES>EN translator. Given the number of localisation strings in Minecraft, we're talking closer to $100. Or maybe I'm just cheap :-P

I'll confess, I pulled that number completely out of my rear end. I just wanted to convey that for a multi-million dollar company the ROI for 56 language translations at a couple hundred bucks a pop is huge enough to warrant a job well done instead of, well, this.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

krushgroove posted:

This is not a multi-million dollar multinational company in the vein of IBM. It's still run as an 'indie' game company. Everyone complaining about the work processes and QA seem to forget that, no matter how much they charge for their finished product.

As was stated before the cost of an official translation is covered by the sale of about 7-8 copies.

Minecraft sells 10,000 copies a day

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

DF is free and makes Toady about $50,000 a year. Toady doesn't crowd-source critical material, the whole game is his doing. It's also not an ASCII game, it is a 3D engine.

Minecraft costs $30 and makes Mojang hundreds of thousands of dollars a day.

DF takes a few hours to figure out, tops, and you don't have to use an external wiki. By the way, DF has an API :v:

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 28, 2012

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Allen Wren posted:

No, but you do have to use tilesets or else figure out what's on the screen by reading the entrails of a sick and vomiting random ascii generator.

You could make this argument of any Roguelike game.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

MikeJF posted:

It's really, really undeniable that the coding in Dwarf Fortress is terrible. Yes, it does some insane calculations, but it's really badly done insane calculations, and Toady has no concept of efficiency, approximation or optimisation. The thing recalculates from scratch all the pathing for all the units across the entire map every frame, for god's sake. And still calculates them poorly.

I'm certainly not saying DF is without some serious flaws. However, I really do just hold Mojang and Toady to different standards. Back when Minecraft was a one-man operation, the comparison of Notch to Toady happened fairly frequently and Notch was lauded for what he was accomplishing by himself. However, now that they have the resources to really flesh out Minecraft and are instead making releases months apart and far inferior to what we got weekly two years ago, I feel some criticism is deserved.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Try running it in Linux with OpenJDK.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Penguingo posted:

Can you name some of these things.

'Pants' as an adjective.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Senator Woofington posted:

This game makes minecraft look so bad.

They're really completely different games though. Isn't Cube World strictly a co-op RPG?

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Spectral Werewolf posted:

It seems like a cubic world with a focus on adventuring and fighting as opposed to minecraft which is a cubic world with a focus on building and a false sense of adventuring and fighting.

Yeah I would agree. Just checked out the blog and wasn't aware that he added buildings to the game. The item customization looks really promising as well, and it seems as if you can play as any creature in the game.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

quote:

Q: How do you create this game?
A: I've programmed everything with C++ and DirectX (OpenGL for the first version). For the voxel sprites, I created my own voxel editor.

ALLAH AKBAR

Wish he would have an OpenGL version for Linux :ohdear:

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Man this game looks so much better with the clouds at about y:175 instead of, you know, 40 blocks above my head. Even standing on a nerdpole at y:256 you feel like you're just making GBS threads on the mountains.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

change my name posted:

Okay, how the gently caress do I get minecraft working at a level that doesn't murder my computer? It used to play perfectly fine but now it inevitably ends with the entire game lagging to the point of freezing. I've installed optifine/mine, which has helped, but not by much. Specs are 2.2ghz core 2 duo, 2 gb of ram and nvidia 8600m 512mb videocard on a fresh install of windows 7 pro 32bit (yes, with all of the latest video drivers).

Assuming just running 64-bit Windows 7 isn't an alternative (your license will work for either version). Try playing Minecraft in Linux using OpenJDK. Ubuntu is the easiest. You can use a LiveUSB but I highly recommend a Wubi installation (a virtual partition on a file in Windows that you boot to) or dedicated partition.

It is really more Sun/Oracle's fault than Jeb's. The game runs fine in OpenJDK on a 32-bit system, even with 'Far' view distance.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 29, 2012

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

HauntedRobot posted:

Or maybe, chalk it up to MW3 not being written in Java? I'm not saying Notch is a brilliant programmer but it just seems like you're looking everywhere but where the obvious answer is.

Java carries some bad baggage from the early days. The performance impact on Java versus other languages is pretty negligable these days, as I understand it. Minecraft would possibly be just as bad written in C#.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

OpenJDK over Sun Java will buy you quite a few FPS, assuming you want to boot into Linux to play Minecraft.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

MeccaPrime posted:

I can reasonably play Minecraft on my system with about 15-20FPS using Optifine (with optimal settings - minimal particles, short render, etc...), but I've been toying with the idea of running it in Linux using OpenJDK because I've heard that the performance is a touch better. I tried running it in Ubuntu 11.10 but the performance was actually worse (with both OpenJDK and the Sun JRE). The FPS were about the same, but there was some horrible mouse lag which might have been the distro not agreeing with my graphics hardware (Intel Mobile Series Express Chipest). My primary computer is a laptop with no real means of adding a graphics card. I can go back to running it in Windows with acceptable quality, but before I do, I just want to know if there are any Linux distro's out there that any of you would recommend for running Minecraft.

My system isn't too new and I don't know all of the specs (I'm at work now), but what I know is this:

3G RAM
Intel Dual Core Processor (I can post the processor speed when I get home)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
Running 64 Bit JRE (so that's not the issue)
Intel Mobile 4 Series Express Chipset

If it's just my graphics hardware, I understand; I'll just make do until I can get a better computer, but I have limited resources at the moment so any assistance tweaking things would be appreciated.

VVVV I'll give that a try once I get home; I can't believe I haven't tried that yet...

I use Xubuntu for Minecraft on my laptop, which is a C2D and Intel HD 3000. I'm not sure if Unity (the GUI in Ubuntu) defaults to 2D with that chipset, but it may be running in 3D and consuming precious resources on the integrated GPU. I'd maybe try running a different window manager. The Xubuntu-desktop package will install XFCE, and you can pick the session on the login screen. Linux Mint's Cinnamon UI is also quite good although I have not tested it on my laptop.

Note that I still don't get super great performance on my laptop, which is a bit higher specced than yours. My last laptop - a Gateway - had similar specs to yours and when the game hit infdev it could no longer handle Minecraft.

Edit: Correction, my old laptop had a Centrino Duo and a GMA 945. Probably a pretty large difference there.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 14, 2012

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Enzer posted:

If there is a chest or bed nearby, they run straight to it and sit on it. If they are sitting on a chest, you cannot open that chest. Apparently they are attracted to chests that have meat in them.

That's not realistic cat behavior. Realistic cat behavior is them laying in high traffic places where they can be tripped over.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Why is the PC version more expensive? :raise:

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Are there matching stairs and half blocks for those different colored woods? Without at least that I will only be using one type of tree I guess.

I just don't have faith that they wouldn't half rear end this thing.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Half-rear end? I don't know. For one, I'm sure the planks are just different damage values, so making planks and stairs out of them could be problematic/impossible to fit into the metadata.

By that logic they should be able to do the same thing with stairs and half-blocks as easily as they did it for planks (and wool, and wood).

Anything less is a half-implemented feature as you will not be able to detail constructions with the 3 new plank colors as with the original one, it won't look right (and it doesn't make sense).

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 22, 2012

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I agree actually, varnish would have been a pretty badass addition and a better way to implement different woods.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

JamSessionEin posted:

I've done it before, and I'm not the least bit concerned about having the IP to it public. I've got permissions set up, I can roll back specific players' actions, and I have schematics saved of everything worth a drat anyway.

It's a pretty general computer security no-no.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Locus posted:

Oh, Minecraft drama. Will it turn out that the Yogscast guys and Notch are petty and unfair? I can't really blame him for venting and posting some of that stuff after going through presumably months of crap and getting weirdly fired.

First, an employee-employer relationship going sour is a lot like a marriage going sour in that you have both sides of the story, and then the truth.

Second, it's a really bad idea to rant about your former employer on Reddit regardless of your profession. It's a terrible idea if you can be easily identified by your former and future employers. When things get unprofessional, taking the high road is always the best option.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

It's likely bullshit. There is no reason not to get the police involved if somebody embezzles $18,000 from your business.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Wolfechu posted:

Which police though? Lewis is in England, Tinman is... Something Scandinavian? No doubt there's law enforcement who handle exactly this sort of thing, but I doubt its the sort of thing you read up on much before starting what was originally a WoW guild. I imagine Lewis et al. were caught flat footed with all this, and the avenues he mentioned exploring are figuring out who handles Grand Theft Adspace.

Oh yeah, I forgot that they are (mostly?) European. Hope they can get their money back.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Out of all their April Fools' day product lineup, I'm actually disappointed for their sake that Creeps are not a real product. They'd probably sell well at that price.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

So I have an update on the 32-bit Far view-distance stuttering issue:

This is apparently caused by the most recent version of the Lightweight Java Game Library (lwjgl). The Windows version of Minecraft downloads a recent version of lwjgl, whereas the Linux version downloads an older version. This is why, at least for me, the slideshow that occurs on Far view distance was avoided by booting to Linux to play Minecraft.

Recently, I did a manual update to the Linux lwjgl files as movement keys were sometimes getting "stuck" while I was playing (this is not something you want when moving around lava). I soon discovered that I was now getting stuttering on far view-distance. If anybody else is playing in Linux to get around this, I'd recommend not updating your lwjgl files if you like being able to play on Far.

Rumor has it that the latest lwjgl version will be used in the Linux version come 1.3.0, so the days of this being a viable solution may be numbered. Until then I have simply switched to 64-bit Linux (with APIC off) in my Wubi install. Getting a steady 85 FPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

whalestory posted:

Man, enchanting is the worst carrot on a stick ever :qq: I can't believe I've wasted that much time grinding blazes to get such lovely enchantments on armor that can't even be repaired :xd:

The best ratio of time:risk:reward comes at just enchanting everything with one level, I find.