Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

I finally got tired of building things into natural features, and for the first time ever, set out to build myself a proper, freestanding, on level ground, house.

It has a nice, wide veranda, with chairs.

It's not a simple rectangle. It follows the flat area I graded out of the hill it's built on.

Well, it's a hill from one side. From the other it's a 50-block sheer cliff.

The ground floor is almost empty at the moment, except for my tiny room. On the other side of my desk is the basement access ladder.

The basement follows the outline of the house. I have no idea what to do with it yet. There's a few windows way down there, on the cliff side of the house. Grass started growing next to them, so I put up enough torches to let it cover the entire floor.

The second floor is the library. The whole floor is nothing but stacks of books, crammed in as tight as I could get it...

...and a few carrels and study tables. Without space for readers, it's not a library but a repository.

The overhanging roof design means that the attic is more than high enough to be useful. I realized that from the vast majority of angles you couldn't even see to the peak of the roof from the ground, so I capped its height and made skylights. Dunno what to do with this space yet, either.

Moonrise from the library, showing how high up the house is (I think this picture was taken from y=105 or so).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

302 posted:

What texture pack is this? I remember seeing it in the old thread too, but it's not in the OP.

It's Sphax PureBDCraft, which I found in the OP of the modding thread.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Are portals/the nether still bugged? I started playing right after the update that made all portals go to the same place in the nether, and I just now figured that surely it had been fixed by this point in time, so I built a second portal several hundred blocks away from the first and....ended up at the same spot in the nether. :smith:

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

They're not bugged, you're just not setting them up correctly.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430275&pagenumber=5#post394470332

Ahhh. I've read that howto multiple times, but I took away that you only needed to do that if you wanted to very precisely align portals within the nether, like the people who build rail systems down there. Now that I understand, of course, I'm not sure how I ever managed to interpret it that way.

FishyLungs posted:

Yea, long story short you have to build your way out of the nether if you want to use it for fast transport.

Got it. Thanks.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Epileptic Nazi posted:

I would come look at your library :unsmith:

I also like your library. It's very NYPL-meets-glass-Bodleian. I'd hang out there.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Terraingen just does crazy-awesome stuff everywhere now. It's great.

and right behind that is

On the one hand, the death of "cool seeds" is a little sad. I guess now they'll be more like "handy seeds for easy exploration of specific features." On the other hand though, it doesn't look like you have to worry about having an amazing world to play in anymore, which far outweighs my nostalgia for loading up cool seeds. There's god knows what around every corner now.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Gigantic Man vs. World wall of text follows. TL;DR typically "peaceful" player finds survival in 1.8 to be awesome, even when the "surviving" bit is going very badly indeed.

I'm one of the people who has almost always played on peaceful. Since the 1.8 leak I've been playing "actual" survival, though, and it's so much more fun now than it used to be.

I spawned in a peninsular forest biome which was connected to the larger landmass by a swamp biome. All of the "continent" that I've explored so far is a huge desert which lies at the foot of an outrageous mountain range.

I went up into the mountains, then down into natural caves before boring a spiral staircase which eventually intersected with abandoned mines, which intersected with several more caverns. I staked out a large room, lighting it very brightly and even starting a small farm in it so that I could be largely self-sufficient underground (as there's plenty of wood from the mine joists).

Monsters kept appearing seemingly out of nowhere, though, until I finally discovered a cavern spur which looped up over my room not once but *twice*, with small openings monsters could drop through on each pass. Once that was taken care of, I started mining out sealing off dead-end spurs, and heading into the abandoned mines, which are a huge and confusing multilevel criss-cross of tunnels and open space, punctuated by waterfalls and lavafalls.

And spider nests.

I had shears and was very successfully clearing out webs and neutralizing spawners. I was also accumulating huge amounts of metals and gems from the chests I was finding. Everything was going swell, until I fell off a ledge and into a web.

I'm not sure, but I think that getting caught in a web triggers the spawn of blue spiders. So while webs make excellent parachutes, they're also deathtraps. So yeah, I died -- not for the first time, but for the first time while deep down in the mines, carrying a ton of poo poo.

It was ok, though, because just outside my access to this entire system, in the desert at the foot of the mountains, was an NPC village with 4 houses, an inn, a smithy, a well, and 6 farms. I had put a bed in the inn, and was spawning there. This becomes important momentarily.

Anyway, I did the corpse run up into the mountains, down into the caverns, found all my stuff, and was getting my inventory organized... when I got detonated by a creeper.

Corpse run, up, down, around, CAN'T FIND MY STUFF OH GOD. And since I can't find my stuff, I'm unarmed and unarmored, and end up in a desperate running battle with zombies, spiders, and creepers for several minutes before being poisoned to death.

But when I respawn in the inn, it's night time. The village has always seemed brightly lit though, and it's such a short distance to my mine access path, that I decide to just run for it. I turn around, open the inn door, and am immediately exploded by the creeper who was standing outside. Destroying about 1/3 of the inn, including my bed.

I respawn, in the dark, in the forest biome. It only took me two more deaths (including one from falling through a small surface-level hole into a *different* abandoned mine system) to make it back to the village.

In the past, somewhere rather before this point, I would have gotten irritated at dying over and over, switched back to peaceful, and gone back to the sport of building whatever ridiculous thing I had thought up at the moment. This time, though, I think due to the world seeming so much more engaging and filled with things to explore, I wanted to hang on and fight my way back into that mine system.

I started spending my nights atop one of the village houses. During the day I could tear out the walls and innards of the other buildings for materials. I started building a wall and moat around the village. I made small expeditions to the nearby hills for surface coal and burned wood to make charcoal, so that I could light up the compound. I topped the sand walls with cacti to defeat spiders. I tore off the gabled roofs of buildings that had them and built a flat platform connecting the tops of every building. I almost feel secure, and when I do, I'll go back to the tunnels.

For now, though, who runs Bartertown? I do, bitches.

This game is loving awesome.

(map made with Overviewer, btw, which is awesome)

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

President Ark posted:

They're really rare. I've played a couple hours in 1.8.2 and seen exactly one, and it was hiding in the upper reaches of a ravine - I wouldn't have noticed it if they didn't have bright glowing eyes.

I didn't see any either until I began camping out atop my desert fortress. Out there, they show up pretty much every single night. They pulled a couple blocks out of my sand wall one night, which made me realize that I had to enderman-proof it.

I ringed it with exterior lights and began planting a staggered row of cacti 1 block from the wall. But this took several days to complete (I was letting the cactuses grow overnight, then break some of them in order to plant the next batch), and after the day I put up the outside torches, there were no more enderman thefts.

I finished the cactus barrier, and it's killed piles of zombies and spiders, and at least one creeper, but I haven't seen a single enderman wandering close to the wall anymore. Has anyone else seen evidence that they avoid lights, or was it just coincidence?

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Dear dude with the terraingen gone completely mad in 1.9p3:

Me, too.

Seed: -8046548705381595985

mdxi fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 8, 2011

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

EXCITING COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE OPPORTUNITY!

Ladies and Gentlegoons, don't let the day-to-day struggle to avoid the death camps in Obama's America drag you down! This is still the land of opportunity, and we believe we have come across an amazing investment that you will not want to miss out on!

Do you dream of the country, with its rolling hills; clean, abundant water; naive populace; and staggeringly low property taxes? We do too, and that's why we went out and bought us a chunk of prime rural real estate. But what to do with it?

Hippie commune? No, there's no money in that.

Farm? Dude, that's work.

Trendy "sustainable" subdivision centered around neo-hippie claptrap like a permaculture oriented community garden and dining hall? Now we're getting somewhere (viz. separating fools from their money), but to be honest, we're banking on all that being just a passing fad; the new millenium's version of the 1970s white-people enviro-guilt.

We're sticking with the classics. We're building a skyscraper.

That's right. We're turning "mixed use" on its head and bringing 10 stories of high-density, urban, eyesore office-block to the country. We think people are gonna love it, and pre-sales are starting now.

Curtain walls of glass and steel? Check. Imposing entryway, letting everyone who sees you going through it know just how important you really are? Check. Ostentatious, atrium lobby with huge-normous chandeliers? Check.

We're working on the second-level upper lobby where no one will ever sit, unless there's a convention going on or something. But it'll look really nice, and some minority will dutifully vacuum it every single day, whether anyone treads on the floor or not. Classy.

We're not even sure what we're gonna do with all the floors yet, to be honest, but trust us that it's gonna be awesome. And more importantly, buy into this amazing opportunity before it's too late!

Seriously, look at that poo poo. We carved out part of a mountain just so we could have nice steps on three sides with a little breathing room around them. Did the yokels living in that village over there ever do that? No. We did, because we're businessmen, and that's how we roll.

Speaking of the yokels, don't worry about them. Most of them will be employed as janitorial staff, and the rest will be security staff, who are paid slightly better and told that they're "above" the janitorial staff, so that they'll willingly keep everyone in line, even though it would be in their best long-term interests to gang up on us rich fuckers and burn this whole investment opportunity to the ground. Like that'll ever happen. Ha!

So join us. Get out your checkbooks and get in on the ground floor. Because you can't have the penthouse. That's ours.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Here is a nice seed: 3773360627422769259

It has, packed into a tight area around spawn: swamp, forest, desert, mountains, rivers, and NPC villages There's plenty of surface-level coal and iron to get you going. Some of the mountains are huge and rolling, instead of them all being freaky spikes of rock, but there's plenty of weird floaty/cliffy bits, too.

Just really nicely balanced and varied.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

I've been messing around with a series of named seeds, hunting for interesting ones. All of these are with normal biomes:

`Thinger3` starts you on an island near land, with plentiful grass and trees. Directly under the highest point of the island is a small cave that can be dug to easily. Below that is a dungeon, which is connected to a typical cave system.

`Thinger4`starts you on (or underwater near) an interesting sort of isthmus of hills, sand, with one deep pit, connected to a pretty typical world.

`Thinger5` has a spawn near the edge of an extreme hills biome, in front of a sheer rock cliff face. digging under this mountain will hit a cave system around y=24 that extends down to the lava pools at y=12 and intersects with a mineshaft. The aboveground area is pretty and interesting as well, if you like expansive grasslands and hills with caves through them.

`Thinger7`, like Thinger3, starts on an island with trees and grass. Unlike 3, it has a titanic exposed cave system, which extends all the way down to y=12, ending (in one direction, anyway) in a series of undersea chasms which extend all the way up to the seafloor.

1, 2, and 6 were insufficiently interesting to merit descriptions.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

The desert hills biome in amplified can come out looking like a 220+ block high melting sundae.

Also, that's basically an entire mountain of sandstone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

I decided to try building a great big arcology in creative again, so I fired up 14w27b and made a new creative world, standard settings, with a seed of "Arcology II".

Spawn is here, on a small archipelago:

That grassy island in the distance has horsies and a hole.

A deep hole.

At the bottom of which is a mineshaft, connected in at least two places to natural cave systems.

Have fun!