Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Boats would also become infinitely more useful if bodies of water weren't generated as a bunch of ponds separated by thin strips of land. Having long, winding rivers would be awesome.

Well if Notch's recent picture is anything to go by, oceans appear to be really big now. So boats and ports might actually have a use now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Oh hey in that stream he did when he finds the abandoned mineshaft there are cobwebs hanging off the ceiling and stuff. Wonder if that means spiders can make cobwebs too

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah, we'll be able to grow both pumpkins and watermelons in the same way, some kind of vine growing thing from what has been said. Kinda said there isn't any NPCs just yet in the villages, it looks like!

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

This impending 1.8 update has brought out some really weird unrealistic expectations in people. I've had people complain that this update isn't adding airplanes, isn't adding magic, and now that it's not adding customizable weapons. Notch never promised ANY of these things, the closet being when he said if he ever did add magic it would be like alchemy if anything. Yet people are acting like Notch stabbed them in the leg while breaking a life vow or something. Notch is finally adding a ton of poo poo but people are angry that he isn't adding their little pet ideas he's never even talked about? :psyduck:

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 27, 2011

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Talking about the NPCs, I noticed there was a lava based blacksmith area and I recall Jeb mentioning that his Blacksmith kept burning down his village with lava, so I think they have been working on NPCs if they aren't present in the demo right now

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I'm pretty sure NPC quests aren't gonna be like WoW style or anything. I imagine it's gonna be finding a little village and getting certain items that allow the village to grow, since Notch and Jeb commented about making sure that when villages expanded it didn't mess with player built things. So I think it will be like "Fetch a bucket of lava for the Blacksmith" and "Find all three seeds for the farmer", which in turn will allow the village to grow and get more NPCs

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

And even then we just know what it's texture is. We don't even have a model for the silverfish yet, all we have is what people expect it to look like and what people expect it to do based on it's name alone

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I'd prefer that you could add abilities to certain tools than things higher than diamond. Diamond can already be a pain in the rear end to get I don't wanna hunt for things even harder than that. Perhaps skill points will be used to buff or powerup attributes about certain tools you have

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I think that new tile set next to the stone breaking animation is for explosions. If you watch the newer videos of 1.8 demos, when a creeper explodes it shoots off rounded particles now as well for the new explosion effect

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Actually I think those particles are from running and look to be just the particles from when you are hitting a block. if you look near the start of the video, when he runs and turns around there are a few dirt block particles left behind him, and on the stone blocks are stone particles. It'll help show other players when another is running instead of guessing if they are or not

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 2, 2011

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Oh hey cool. In that trailer you can see they added gates for fences. Now those loving sheep can stop stepping all over my gardens :argh:

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 6, 2011

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Whoah, where? Now I can stop using ugly full sized wooden doors!
Right here in the melon farm part. He turns around and shuts it

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I only use TNT to get rid of dirt and gravel I find in cave systems. I have dirt and gravel so much when I'm mining I have to remove all of it. TNT is pretty decent when used to do that

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I run a server and plan on starting it over once 1.8 hits for the new biome generation stuff. But a few people on my server want the current world for their single player. Which file do I give them for that? :v:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

maverick99 posted:

Does 1.8 increase the height limit?

No, it doesn't. However he recoded it so that any mod that wants to will now have a much easier time of making an increase in the height limit

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I thought pumpkins are grow-able just like melons are?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The Silverfish calling other nearby Silverfish is awesome. I can just picture adventure maps having entire rooms dissolve into silverfish if someone breaks the wrong block in a puzzle

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Does anyone have some cool stylized Minecraft wallpapers for desktops? Like ini the same vein as that Minecraft poster here?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So I was out and about sailing when I came on a large pine tree biome. However there happened to be lava pool right in the center of a few trees and I've spent the last five minutes watch a wild fire completely destroy the entire biome of it's trees. It's pretty cool and I've never seen this happen in the old code

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

He just tweeted all that so yeah, it's all true

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

FirePhoenix posted:

I'd rather they hold back 1.8 than release it full of bugs. Glad they're having the sense to do it that way.

Me too but I'm sure the fact that they don't wanna release a bunch of bugs won't matter and they'll be up to their necks in angry "NOTCH IS loving US AGAIN :argh:" tweets and threads. But really that's no different than every other day with their community

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Jeb on Twitter posted:

I realized that I had forgotten to write that I fixed the exp orb bug in SMP. It was the first thing I did today!

Seems Jeb already squashed one of the biggest bugs I've been having with the prerelease which is awesome

Jeb on Twitter posted:

@Klondike I just bunched the orbs together in groups of 1, 3, 7, 17, 37... (next prime twice the value of the one before)

Doing exactly what ever one was suggesting in this thread, even

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Did chickens use to make a pop sound when laying an egg before 1.8? They might've but I've never noticed it

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Woah, when did this thread link to the official Minecraft fourms?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So I'm trying to set up a new world on my personal server and I want to make a little spawn area. Is there anyway to switch a map from creative to survival once I start it? So that way I can build what I want than switch to survival once it's built?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Does anyone know if there is a mushroom biome now? I know in prerelease you could only grow them but the wiki changelog says that giant mushroom biomes are now implemented

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So I'm playing a bit in multiplayer and I don't know if it's me or not but do Creepers no longer puff up and turn white before exploding? They seem to only make the noises and Skeletons don't make bow twang sounds anymore either :(

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So I have a question! Why are there endermen in my caves and ravine that have purple eyes and give off purple particles? It's kind of worrying :ohdear:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I think the reasons the villages are so rare now is that they'll only spawn on flat even land, so you wont have like villages submerged in water or haphazardly growing out of a hill or split half way by a ravine anymore

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So I have a little problem that's a bit strange with my server. The spawn point on my server has randomly changed places :psyduck: It now spawns us, when we die with no bed, in the middle of a desert by a NPC village instead of a pinewood forest by the town we started to build. Anyone know what caused it and if I can fix it?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Does anyone else have trouble with rain coming through blocks on certain patches of land? On my server there's a little blotch of land that has rain going through any type of roof

EDIT: Weirdly I fixed it by placing a block inside of the home. The new block caused the rain to stop falling in the house oddly enough

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So do Endermen have some kind of sense when you're about to attack them to teleport away? I swear I had an Enderman who would only get close to me when he was behind me and only the sun rising saved my rear end

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

42069 posted:

:downswords:

When did Notch become Gabe Newell exactly? Is "Notch takes too many breaks to eat" a new complaint or have I just never seen it before? :psyduck:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I don't know if it's just me but I prefer the 16x16 default resolution for minecraft. I often use Jolicraft and I just find that whole low pixel amount aspect of the look of Minecraft to be very appealing v:shobon:v

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Aw first time I've ever had trouble with a Minecraft update, prerelease or otherwise. When my prerelease of 1.9 goes to generate a new level, Java just straight out closes. No error or anything :(

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Glass panes were added since 1.8 update

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Snowmen are great for traps though. Had fun watching mobs walk to their death into pits of lava after a snowman lobbed a harmless snowball at them

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The best moment of YogCast, for me, has to be when they're testing the new blocks in 1.8 and discover the Silverfish block. The screams they make when it pops out are the best

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Vinigre posted:

Hot off the press!

Oh awesome! Looks like he's putting work into potions! Wonder if you'll make them or find them instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I haven't been able to play the last prerelease and it looks like this is no diffrent :( Here is the crash report I get when I try to play a world. Once it gets to creating world it just simply crashes and leaves behind a little notepad file. Anyone know whats up, if it's Minecraft or if my Java is being poo poo?