Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GobyWan
Jun 5, 2006
tiny plastic novelty palm trees are all I need

Emong posted:

Notch has stated in the past he's not doing it because moving light sources causes the light to flicker nauseatingly. The only way he could fix that is by rewriting the entire lighting system from the ground up.

I'm under the impression that Notch actually has rewritten the lighting system from the ground up for 1.8. I'll reserve judgment until people look at the code and we see 1.8's lighting on something other than PAX blurrycam, but hopefully this new system makes dynamic lighting practical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobyWan
Jun 5, 2006

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Silly Notch, you confused "Sheep" and "Birds".

Notice that they do not so much fly as...plummet.

GobyWan
Jun 5, 2006
Has anyone figured out how to change the lighting colours yet? None of the Painterly options or my own light_normal.png's do anything, so I'm assuming that's not how you change it. The torchlight falloff looks like poo poo, though, and I'm very much looking forward to fixing it.

GobyWan
Jun 5, 2006

Eiba posted:

As a side note, I will like how renewable the snowman resources are as soon as we actually get some way to acquire pumpkin seeds. As it stands, they're stupidly finite, as pumpkins are fairly rare, and you don't get your pumpkin back when the snowman dies. If we do get pumpkins seeds, however, we'll have a good reason to farm pumpkins. Each one will basically be a free summon-able shield to distract monsters. It would totally be possible to just throw one down in a cave as a distraction too.

You should really be able to get pumpkin seeds by crafting jack o' lanterns. Also: eating melon slices should produce melon seeds.

GobyWan
Jun 5, 2006
I am so happy that the snow golems have pumpkin heads now, the original snowman texture was embarrassingly awful. I like the concept, though - I strongly believe that all Minecraft mobs should be either hilarious or terrifying (possibly both).

GobyWan
Jun 5, 2006
I am very excited about repairing items, even if it's only Fallout-style "mash these two picks together to create a slightly less busted pick". Hopefully there'll be some kind of repair kit you can craft, too, in order to save diamonds and iron at the cost of other resources and time.

GobyWan
Jun 5, 2006

Enzer posted:

Though what is really interesting is that Notch's in game level is displayed on the EXP bar and that the enchanting system doesn't cost exp but rather FULL levels (full bars).

I'm glad that they've used exp levels for enchanting - I'm less stressed out about exp if I think of it as a currency to be spent rather than as experience points to be hoarded, particularly when I can spend it on something semi-permanent like enchanted items. It would be nice if they could use a slightly more forgiving exp-loss-on-death system than fuckin' Demon's Souls, though.

Also: 9 redstone dust should be craftable into a redstone block, which does constant lightning damage to anything touching it when it's powered. (Keep out of reach of creepers.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobyWan
Jun 5, 2006

kas posted:

Once Jeb mentioned how much he liked Painterly on Twitter and was immediately deluged with so many people scrambling over each other to tell him how WRONG he was that he actually ended up apologizing for saying anything. :(

You will never do anything Minecraft-related without a huge chunk of the community telling you how awful it is. This does not in any way reflect on the actual quality of what you've done (what you've done is ridiculously good, by the way), it just reflects on the Minecraft community's collective intelligence. I have never even tried SMP, Doku, Sphax etc. because I'm not willing to give up Painterly, so there's one fan for you.