Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Macaluso posted:

Oh hey, can those lily pads be moved around or will they get destroyed like desert shrubs?

Lovin' that mushroom house by the way

You can pick them up, I don't know if they can be put back down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Times posted:

Edit: Oh man I read that as phases of the moon. Shape? What the loving hell? Yeah I don't care. I can always texture mod it if I want it something else.

I agree, no reason anyone should care about default textures when you can replace them.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

Try running a minecraft server locally, and then connecting locally, see if you get the error there.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

Minecraft needs flatbears as a mob.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

Yeah, meanwhile Notch posts a tweet against Apple, when he could just call them up and get the problem fixed; he's got his own lawyers to deal with this. I have to say though, I've never seen something so blatant.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

Just think how great the writing for future Mojang games will be.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

I guess I'm curious what would be discussed in the API and modding panels as I haven't seen much chatter about how modding will be handled for some time.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

Rack posted:

You'd think that since it's a single block touching 2 blocks that it'd just check to see which/how many of those surfaces can support ivy. Sorta the way that fences can snap-to blocks now.

Was just thinking this myself. It'd at least be easier to make that change than redstone going up blocks.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

Blackbird Fly posted:

I don't know what happened here:

Can fire do this now? It's not because of a texture pack.

Do what now? Looks like regular swampland to me.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

Shukaro posted:

You can also take ice to the Nether... Evil schemes are commencing.

I was just about to mention this fact. Water from Ice doesn't poof either, so there are plenty of opportunities for interesting buildings.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

So with the release, there no longer a 25% off pre-purchase discount, correct? How much is is costing in USD for a new minecraft account?

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

So I'm trying to make a switch toggle some blocks like so:

But because of improper timing, I get this:

Anyone have a solution for where the extended piston always retracts first?

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

Crumpet posted:

You need a repeater before the piston that is pushing the red wool block:

This does not appear to be a working solution.

Edit: If I wasn't making myself clear, it needs to toggle back and forth between these positions, not just work once.

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Spectral Werewolf fucked around with this message at Nov 23, 2011 around 22:22

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

Schweinhund posted:

This works:

I had some hope for a simple solution, but this looks doable, thanks.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

Do nether portals properly connect in SMP yet, or will I still have to measure out where to place portals to properly connect them?

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

IUG posted:

Measure and place. We just set up our nether on our server this way.

I guess I can just repeat to myself from THE BEST GAMERS review: "This is a finished game, the release version, ready for online retail."

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This is the best of news. I just hope Notch can let go of his baby so Jeb can do his thing. He mentions how much he trusts his judgement, but previous to this Notch still had the final say - it might be different when Jeb gets to call the shots.

Yeah, if I'm remembering correctly, Notch had some issues when adding new features of things fitting into some sort of "theme" with minecraft that doesn't really exist. And Jens was the one who announced that there will indeed be a mod API at minecon, right?

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

You were probably starving. If your hunger bar is empty, you will take damage down to half a heart. And then, yeah, a small drop kills you.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

I must be the only one that would like to see endermen be real aggressive in moving existing blocks to build something of their own. I'd just like to go down in a cave and mine and explore for a couple days, then come back to find that part of my castle may have been turned into a creepy shrine of some sort. I do understand that people put a lot of time into their creations though.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

Senator Woofington posted:

Everyone in this thread will be really happy when the mod API comes out because everyone will be able to tailor their game to exactly how they want it so everyone wins

Yeah, pretty much, that's why they should have been making this API for the longest time. They could have made the API for the release version and "the end" could have been an optional addon. It will probably bring a lot of neat small cosmetic additions from the modders that want to make something but didn't want to deal with the current hassles. It'll also bring a lot of poo poo addons, but it'll be manageable.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

^^ or maybe that, I haven't done maths in a while. Actually, I'm more confident in my answer.

Dylan-D posted:

That's not how probability works duder.

22.1% for a tree with 50 leaf blocks, but close enough. I think I'd prefer it be something like a 1/200 chance that a leaf block spawns as an apple bearing leaf block with a unique texture so that one could go and collect apples freely, which would be especially useful for a game start.

Spectral Werewolf fucked around with this message at Dec 9, 2011 around 16:53

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

I'm stuck in a nether portal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htp2N-ZYRnI

I assume the only fix is for my friend to teleport me or delete my character data from his server or kill myself, etc., but I get stuck like this every time. It happens every time I get sent to it. I've tried remaking the portal, and other portals on this server don't cause similar issues. I don't know if other users on the server have this problem.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

Krastinov posted:

I couldn't see very well, but are those solid blocks directly behind the nether portal? Have you tried destroying them?

Yeah, It was a free standing portal when I first made it and it had the same problem then, I walled it up so I stopped getting killed by ghasts while I stood there helpless.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

While that's not what an API does, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for someone to make a program with a GUI that just lets an average joe create new blocks, new textures, new recipes, etc. Because once we have a way to compile stand alone mods that can be dropped in a folder, how the content is made doesn't really matter.

It's a good idea though, someone will probably get right on that kind of tool.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

Fuego Fish posted:

Frankly I think some kind of Minecraft Editor would be a good thing for Mojang themselves to make.

No, this is a terrible idea. Haven't you followed Minecraft development?

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

YOURFRIEND posted:

I was seeing if that one fighting game tournament was up and I noticed Notch is streaming: http://www.twitch.tv/notch

I don't know.

*CLACK CLACK CLACK* Mashing the keyboard is my proof of being a good programmer. So he's making a "retro" game based off his own game?

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

Iacen posted:

Personally I'd rather have seen bug fixing, streamlining of the code and such things, if Jeb had to push out a new version.
I still have confidence in Jeb, though, so it could happen

I was going to ask mod makers if there's any semblance of mod API hooks getting dropped into the code yet. Evidence that it has at least been started would be nice.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

Notch's current project?

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

Sprite Based posted:

Can someone explain to me why the enchanting system is so abysmally loving retarded?

No, there is no way to explain the thought patterns of Notch.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

Oggumogoggum posted:

Enchanting is even more hilarious, because to gather the experience points needed to enchant things, you have to spend a lot of time with Minecraft's terrible combat system.

Don't worry, the AI is being improved to make combat better.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

Jamesman posted:

They're giving zombies and skeletons more annoying AI while the player has no real advancements in dealing with enemies or avoiding them. I don't really see anything improved or better about that.

Yep, this is exactly what I'm getting at. The mod API is the only thing this game ever needed. Combat is pretty 1-dimentional, enchanting is overcomplicated an may as well have been flat out random, AI is pretty much pointless since NPCs don't add anything.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

babies havin rabies posted:

They're really completely different games though. Isn't Cube World strictly a co-op RPG?

It seems like a cubic world with a focus on adventuring and fighting as opposed to minecraft which is a cubic world with a focus on building and a false sense of adventuring and fighting.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

Sounds like you've got a memory leak.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

Death Himself posted:

Has anyone ever tried to do a sloped block mod? I was just thinking that the terrain/trees/everything would probably look pretty neat if the corners were sloped instead of square.

It's been a while, but from what I remember, the code has block shapes defined by 2 points, so it'd require extensive reworking of the engine to allow for non-cubic shapes.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

feigning interest posted:

Where do Pigmen go when they die?
They don't go to The End where the dragon flies,
They go to a lake of fire and fry

This is better than the whole poem after "winning".

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

Bicehunter posted:

Disco-video with starcontrol music; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R2R18GBIRU

I think if you get a player and some client server architecture going, you've warranted a product worthy of selling. You are my favorite minecraft cloner.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

I like it like this because it doesn't resemble minecraft textures. It is quite dark, but space is dark.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

That would make 3d space station 13 very possible.

This has to be done now.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

The ending seemed to me like Notch decided he needed a reason to say it was finished and finally "realease" the game. And then he had minecon to celebrate a price hike and the people ate it all up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

edit: Specifically, I think it was meant to be a smarmy response to the critics saying that Minecraft isn't a game because it doesn't have an ending (yes, people have said that). So he put the stupidest thing possible in there.

Also shows that he caves to his critics.