Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
I removed the link from my post in the other thread.

Also, should we post a link to the original thread in this OP, just in case anyone needs to reference something in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010

Mustache Ride posted:

Wow that OP looks familiar...

Honestly I was going to go out and buy the Neverwinter CG and step back into coding all those glorious themes but after hearing that the OCB already has them implemented it'll be an easy thing to grab the XML data from that and add Rules Elements.

Once I extract everything I'll post it here and start working up the rules.

Yeah. I'm surprised they got the OCB updated that fast. I guess they wanted to have it updated so people could use it to make characters for GenCon? Maybe? Who knows. I am disappointed that the Uthgart Barbarian theme's primary feature is an encounter power and not an at-will, but I guess it could be worse: they could have made it a daily power. :: Shudders ::

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
Whenever there is an update to the files that CBLoader then downloads, it ends up merging anything that didn't change before merging in stuff that did change (making it merge out of order) and this causes the Builder to crap out with the "Contact technical support" message.

As it is now, I have to run CLEANUP.BAT after the new stuff downloads so it merges in order. Is there an option in the config file to make it merge the files in alphabetical order all the time?

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
Yeah ... I've been known to interact on the Wizard's forums from time to time. I even make really good points on there sometimes(!!) :-D

I'm really excited that the hybrid binder has been implemented in the LCB now. This is awesome and I look forward to trying it out. :)

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
The Warlord level 3 Encounter power Interrupting Strike has an extra "Hit:" listed on the hit line. This is stopping the builder from parsing the damage line correctly. I also believe this is stopping the builder from showing weapons for it on the card in the power list.

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
When I create a hybrid Sentinel|Ranger and choose the Ranger's Beast Mastery hybrid talent option, the companion selection screen shows three "companion" selection areas. They all appear to pull from the same variables or whatever since whatever name and description I put into one is automatically entered into the other two. Oh, did I mention there are three of these areas? I think there should only be two of them.

As near as I can tell, it's the beast master ranger selection area which is duplicated, not the Sentinel's companion one.

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
So ... nothing mentioned about my post on the previous page? Hybrid beast master ranger|Sentinel creates a messed up Companion screen when choosing your companion(s).

So, I forgot about the bug list file. I have added this as a new entry in that file.

Undrhil fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 31, 2011

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
When I make a hybrid Ranger and select the Archery Mastery feat that allows you to swap out a Ranger at-will for one of the Hunter at-will powers, the builder is not allowing me to select a Ranger at-will to swap out in the Retraining page.

Just to be sure, I made this as a human, so I have two Ranger at-wills. This is not the builder trying to enforce hybrid rules.

Nevermind. It used to give a separate selection area, like the MC power swap feats for this, but now it is counting it as a normal per level retrain. This is not correct, by the way, because the builder will not allow you to do a per-level retrain until level 2 and you can take Archery Mastery at level 1.

It was working find before. Who changed it and why?

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
Just curious to see if anyone has had a chance to look at the problem with Hybrid Ranger|Sentinels having an issue with the Companions tab. Currently, when I create the character, even as a hybrid Sentinel|Ranger (without the Ranger Beast Mastery stuff), the Companion tab gives me an extra box which holds all the same values as the box already in place. If I make a change in either box (name in the top box, for instance) it makes the same change in the bottom box.

I posted about this a while back but I don't remember seeing anyone comment on it.

Undrhil fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 3, 2011

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010

Tivaan posted:

What mods are u using, any homebrew? The reason I ask is because I found and corrected an error there.

I am using no mods or homebrews. I have CBLoader v1.3.0 and I am using the vanilla WOTC.index file. When did you make the fix and do you know if it got incorporated into the main distribution?

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010

Tivaan posted:

The only error I ever found was in a homebrew mod which I corrected, I personally don't have that issue anymore.

So, when you make a hybrid ranger | sentinel, you only have one companion box? And if you decide to take the Beast Mastery hybrid talent feature for the ranger side, you have two companion boxes which you can edit independently?

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
The Pixie looks interesting. Kind of a smaller Gnome, really. I'm glad their stats line up like they do ... makes it easier to make a Pixie Sorcerer. :)

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
Dekar:

I am proud to report that when I copy and paste your Pixie code block into my races.part file, CBLoader compiles it successfully and I am able to make a Pixie character.

The only thing which I see right now as an issue is that I am able to equip any of the weapons as normal. As a Tiny creature, I shouldn't be able to do that. Since we have the racial power Shrink, it's not a big deal. I can always just say that I've already Shrunk this item.

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010

Dick Burglar posted:

I'm having invalid implements showing up for implement powers on the cards. My Bard, who does not have Arcane Implement Proficiency and is not using a Songblade, is displaying his Flaming Longsword as an implement for Vicious Mockery and all his other Implement powers as well. He does have a proper Implement (he's a MC Paladin, so he has a Holy Symbol) but as long as his sword is equipped it always defaults to that.

I've experienced a similar (but different) issue where my Druid's staff of defense is displayed on the cards instead of his Ki Focus due to item priority in the coding, but in the Bard's case he cannot use his sword as an implement yet it's still displaying.

Edit: this issue is repeatable; creating a Cleric and equipping a dagger, the dagger will display for implement attacks as a 'valid' implement.

This is an issue with all weapons and implement users. It's been in the builder since the first Essentials book came out where WotC changed the Implements to work for any implement power regardless of where that power came from. We think it's hard-coded into the builder at this point.

If you can get the power card on the sheet to display with the proper implement, then that's going to be your best bet to make it look at least somewhat correct, I think. If the implement you are using is not showing up on the power cards at all, then that might be something to look at....

I made a fix for the Heavy War Pick, which is now classed as a Small weapon in MME. I also updated the decription to include the text from MME.

code:
   <RulesElement name="Heavy war pick" type="Weapon" internal-id="ID_FMP_WEAPON_54" source="Adventurer's Vault" revision-date="8/27/2010 1:16:15 PM">
      <Category> ID_INTERNAL_CATEGORY_TWO-HANDS,ID_FMP_WEAPON_GROUP_13,ID_INTERNAL_CATEGORY_TWO-HANDED,ID_INTERNAL_CATEGORY_SELECTABLE </Category>
      <specific name="Full Text"> Heavy war pick
Military two-handed melee weapon
Cost: 20 gp
Damage: 1d12
Proficient: +2
Range: -
Weight: 8 lb.

A longer haft and a heavier pick end make this weapon an ideal choice for a gnome or a halfling in search of a two-handed weapon.

Properties: 
High Crit (A high crit weapon deals more damage when you score a critical hit with it. A critical hit deals maximum weapon damage and an extra 1[W] at 1st–10th levels, an extra 2[W] at 11th–20th levels, and an extra 3[W] at 21st–30th levels. This extra damage is in addition to any critical damage the weapon supplies if it is a magic weapon.).
Small (This property describes a two-handed or a versatile weapon that a Small character can use in the same way a Medium character can. A halfling can use a shortbow, for example, even though halflings can't normally use two-handed weapons.).

Group: 
Pick (Weighted toward the top like a mace or an axe, a pick has a long, pointed head made to pierce and create deep wounds.). </specific>
      <specific name="Weight"> 8 </specific>
      <specific name="Gold"> 20 </specific>
      <specific name="Range" />
      <specific name="Damage"> 1d12 </specific>
      <specific name="Proficiency Bonus"> 2 </specific>
      <specific name="_Primary End" />
      <specific name="Weapon Category"> Military Melee </specific>
      <specific name="Hands Required"> Two-Handed </specific>
      <specific name="Item Slot"> Two-Hands </specific>
      <specific name="Group"> Pick </specific>
      <specific name="Properties"> High Crit, Small </specific>
This larger version of the light war pick delivers devastating strikes.
   </RulesElement>

Undrhil fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 10, 2011

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010

Splicer posted:

If I'm reading the article correctly, the way it works is:

Pixies can wield no weapons unless they use their shrink powers on them.

If they use their shrink powers on a versatile weapon then they can only use it two handed and do not gain the two-handed damage bonus (as per small characters).

They cannot use two handed shrunk weapons(as per small characters).

For the CB, it seems like the easiest thing to do is give them access to weapons the same as a small character would and assume shrinkage has been applied.

Edit: Though that begs the question... are the rules for what small characters can wield hardcoded in the builder?

Based on the way the power Shrink reads, it targets an item useable by a Medium or Small creature and makes it Tiny. It keeps its other game statistics, so the question becomes "Can Tiny creature wield two-handed tiny weapons?"

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

No, because

i.e. no two-handed weapons, versatile weapons two-handed only.

Oh well. Pixies can still wield the Heavy War Pick (+2, 1d12) cause it's listed with the Small property. :) They just can't use Mordenkrads or Mauls or Greatbows...

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010

MMAgCh posted:

This is because Mastery of Knives makes kukris/katars count as daggers for implement purposes only. The power, meanwhile, looks at whether you're wielding a dagger (as in the weapon), finds that you don't, and so refuses to display any stats, much like when you are looking at Twin Strike without wielding two melee weapons, for instance.

I looked at this issue a while ago, but as far as I can tell there's no fix for it that doesn't result in kukris/katars being equivalent to the weapon "dagger" for all purposes, including qualifying for Sneak Attack and the like.

Can we create a "clone" weapon for the kukri and katar? Call them KukriDagger and KatarDagger and make the CB treat *those* as daggers?

As a temp. workaround (or a permanant one, I suppose) you can equip a dagger and rename it to be kukri or katar. You'll just have to adjust the damage die value and remember the stats of the real katar/kukri (brutal 1 or high crit, I believe.) But the power will calculate correctly (unless one of those is not a +3 prof. weapon.)

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010

nothingxs posted:

My solution was an accurate dynamic dagger. Then I just make it a kukri and use kukri stats for it (for now).

Except that you can't use the Accurate dagger superior implement with a kukri. You can only treat the kukri as an dagger for the purpose of Sorcerer powers.

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
I made a Scout with Flashing Blade Mastery and I picked up Spiked Chain Training at level 1. When I equip a Spiked Chain, I am not getting the bonus to attack rolls from Flashing Blade Mastery for having a light blade in my off-hand, which the Spiked Chain is considered to be with Spiked Chain Training.

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
According to the text of the Spiked Gauntlet, only the magical Spiked Gauntlets take up your Hands item slot. A normal, non-magical pair of Spiked Gauntlets would be equipped as a weapon. This could be important for class features and for those times when you might want to be wearing non-magical Spiked Gauntlets (with a Ki Focus) and have a Hand-slot item equipped.

EDIT: For the Spiked Chain fix for Scouts ... how would I make that Rules change for the Spiked Chain weapon apply *only* if the user has the Spiked Chain Training MC feat?

EDIT 2: I'm a goob.

Undrhil fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 18, 2011

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
New race added in Dragon today: the Hengeyokai. They are similar to Changelings except they are limited in their shapechanging abilities and they get +2 WISDOM instead of +2 INTELLIGENCE.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/downloads/dragon/404/404_Ecology_of_Hengeyokai.pdf

(I think this is a safe link to post, since it requires you to be logged in to D&Di to access it, right?)

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010

Mustache Ride posted:

Hey Guys, looks like the OCB has been updated again.

Online Character Builder XML Dump - October 19, 2011

I'm going to see if I can work out a way to get Level 0 characters in (for a game I'm running) and fix some of the Trad Games Wiki stuff.

They included the hybrid essentials stuff (Binder, Executioner, etc.) but it looks like they forgot that the hybrid Sentinel isn't supposed to get the weapon bonuses for their chosen season. Whoops.

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
And speaking of new races: the Satyr has been posted. It's an Excerpt and not a Dragon article, so not LFR legal, but it's the full racial write-up from the book.

http://wizards.com/dnd/files/excerpt_20111021.pdf

Something new for the Satyr: they can only be Male. No female or genderless Satyrs (unless you are playing a Revanant Satyr, I suppose.... Also, Bluff is *always* a class skill for them.

EDIT: Actually, based on the current CCG, the Satyr *is* LFR legal since it appears in a player-friendly format as a Playtest article on the Wizards of the Coast website. So ... groovy. :)

Undrhil fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 22, 2011

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
Does anyone have a list of which items from MME have *not* been coded into the LCB?

EDIT: The Distance weapon is listed as Common now in the Compendium. Here is the code for the base-items.part to make this happen for us.

code:
  <RulesElement name="Distance Weapon +1" type="Magic Item" internal-id="ID_FMP_MAGIC_ITEM_2051" source="Adventurer's Vault">
    <Flavor> This weapon flashes brightly as it hurtles forth, moving with enough force to carry it much farther than normal. </Flavor>
    <specific name="Level"> 1 </specific>
    <specific name="Gold"> 360 </specific>
    <specific name="Magic Item Type"> Weapon </specific>
    <specific name="Tier" />
    <specific name="_Item_Set_ID" />
    <specific name="Armor" />
    <specific name="Weapon"> Any Ranged </specific>
    <specific name="Item Slot" />
    <specific name="Requirement" />
    <specific name="Critical"> None </specific>
    <specific name="Special" />
    <specific name="Power" />
    <specific name="_Rarity" />
    <specific name="Enhancement"> +1 attack rolls and damage rolls </specific>
    <specific name="Granted Powers" />
    <specific name="Rarity"> Common </specific>
    <specific name="Property"> Increase the weapon's normal range by 5 squares and the long range by 10 squares. </specific>
  </RulesElement>
  <RulesElement name="Distance Weapon +2" type="Magic Item" internal-id="ID_FMP_MAGIC_ITEM_2052" source="Adventurer's Vault">
    <Flavor> This weapon flashes brightly as it hurtles forth, moving with enough force to carry it much farther than normal. </Flavor>
    <specific name="Level"> 6 </specific>
    <specific name="Gold"> 1800 </specific>
    <specific name="Tier" />
    <specific name="Enhancement"> +2 attack rolls and damage rolls </specific>
    <specific name="Property"> Increase the weapon's normal range by 5 squares and the long range by 10 squares. </specific>
  </RulesElement>
  <RulesElement name="Distance Weapon +3" type="Magic Item" internal-id="ID_FMP_MAGIC_ITEM_2053" source="Adventurer's Vault">
    <specific name="Level"> 11 </specific>
    <specific name="Gold"> 9000 </specific>
    <specific name="Tier" />
    <specific name="Enhancement"> +3 attack rolls and damage rolls </specific>
  </RulesElement>
  <RulesElement name="Distance Weapon +4" type="Magic Item" internal-id="ID_FMP_MAGIC_ITEM_2054" source="Adventurer's Vault">
    <specific name="Level"> 16 </specific>
    <specific name="Gold"> 45000 </specific>
    <specific name="Tier" />
    <specific name="Enhancement"> +4 attack rolls and damage rolls </specific>
  </RulesElement>
  <RulesElement name="Distance Weapon +5" type="Magic Item" internal-id="ID_FMP_MAGIC_ITEM_2055" source="Adventurer's Vault">
    <specific name="Level"> 21 </specific>
    <specific name="Gold"> 225000 </specific>
    <specific name="Tier" />
    <specific name="Enhancement"> +5 attack rolls and damage rolls </specific>
  </RulesElement>
  <RulesElement name="Distance Weapon +6" type="Magic Item" internal-id="ID_FMP_MAGIC_ITEM_2056" source="Adventurer's Vault">
    <specific name="Level"> 26 </specific>
    <specific name="Gold"> 1125000 </specific>
    <specific name="Tier" />
    <specific name="Enhancement"> +6 attack rolls and damage rolls </specific>
  </RulesElement>

Undrhil fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 22, 2011

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
Not sure if it's a coding issue or it's something that was just missed: when I take Power of Arcana domain feat and I have one of the four at-wills available which become Arcane powers, I cannot Arcane Admixture them.

Is this because the builder doesn't support it or did the coding to allow them to be Admixtured get skipped?

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
I know that someone had volunteered to clean up the short-text for various feats for the character sheet. Can I just request that whenever short-text is made or updated that references to "damage rolls" not be shortened to "damage" in the short text? I know of at least one person who is saying that the Elemental Empowerment feat modifies Magic Missile damage because "the text just says damage" on the character sheet feat list.

The full feat text should be on the sheets but I understand the lack of room making that prohibitive. But, really ... what was WOTC thinking by shortening feats like that? Unless they don't mind if "damage rolls" and "damage" are the same thing?

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
New Monk article up. Very interesting stuff: mostly giving explanations for what the various parts are that make up a Monk (Unarmed Combatant, etc.) But it includes some new powers and feats. A new multiclass Monk feat which (currently) gives you access to the Monk's Unarmed Combatant class feature. Yes. Anyone can MC Monk now and have the Unarmed Combatant feature. Very nice.

Of course, this is likely to change at any point in the future, but so far, it looks awesome! (Which is even more reason why it will likely be changed in the future...)

Guess I probably should post a link: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/downloads/dragon/404/404_Monk_Basics.pdf

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
I will point out that Piercing Palm, as written, is only useful to a Monk who has Multiclassed to Rogue for the Sneak Attack once per encounter thing. Since it doesn't allow you to use your Unarmed Combatant attack in Rogue powers which requires a light blade, most Rogues won't take it. It definitely can't be used by a Monk|Rogue hybrid, since SA can only be used with Rogue powers and, again, most Rogue powers require a light blade. So, only a Monk who has MC'd Rogue can use this feat to any effect .. and that's, at most, twice per encounter.

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010

Sakri posted:

I actually revised all the short feat descriptions already a while back. I chose to use "damage" instead of "damage rolls" since some cuts and compromises had to be made to save space. The descriptions are somewhat lengthy as it is. I believe that in a vast majority of instances the feats refer to damage rolls when there is "damage" in short description so that should be your default assumption. The full description should be consulted when in doubt, and players should be reminded to read all their feats carefully when making characters. The short descriptions can't cover everything.

Players probably will do that. Munchkins and those who rely on the DM not knowing all the rules will rely on those shortened feat descriptions to give them loopholes, such as adding tons more damage to Magic Missile when it's really difficult to actually get things to apply just to damage and not damage rolls. You couldn't have had it say 'dmg rolls' or just 'damage rolls' (it's six more characters)? Especially since there are (very few) feats which *do* give a bonus to just damage...

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

If anyone is coding the Monk stuff from Dragon 404, I'll leave this here (the Monk MC feat)

code:
<RulesElement name="Master of the Fist" type="Feat" internal-id="ID_DRAGON404_FEAT_003" source="Dragon Magazine 404" >
      <Category> ID_INTERNAL_CATEGORY_MULTICLASS_MONK,ID_INTERNAL_CATEGORY_MULTICLASS,ID_INTERNAL_CATEGORY_CLASS-SPECIFIC_MULTICLASS </Category>
      <Prereqs> Str 13 or Dex 13; ~MULTICLASS or Unlimited Multiclass or Monk CountsAsClass; !ID_FMP_CLASS_362; !ID_FMP_HYBRID_CLASS_609 </Prereqs>
      <print-prereqs> Str 13 or Dex 13 </print-prereqs>
      <specific name="Tier"> Heroic </specific>
      <specific name="Short Description"> Monk: Athletics or Acrobatics training, Unarmed Combantant feature </specific>
      <specific name="type"> Multiclass Monk </specific>
      <specific name="Associated Power Info" />
      <specific name="Associated Powers" />
      <rules>
         <select type="Skill Training" number="1" Category="ID_INTERNAL_SKILL_TRAINING_ATHLETICS|ID_INTERNAL_SKILL_TRAINING_ACROBATICS" />
         <grant name="ID_INTERNAL_PROFICIENCY_IMPLEMENT_PROFICIENCY_(KI_FOCUSES)" type="Proficiency" />  
		 <grant name="ID_INTERNAL_INTERNAL_KI_FOCUS_USER" type="Internal" />  
         <grant name="ID_INTERNAL_COUNTSASCLASS_MONK" type="CountsAsClass" />
         <grant name="ID_INTERNAL_MULTICLASS_MULTICLASS" type="Multiclass" />
		 <grant name="ID_FMP_CLASS_FEATURE_1547" type="Class Feature" />
      </rules>
You gain training in Athletics or Acrobatics. You also gain the monk’s Unarmed Combatant feature and gain proficiency with ki focuses. 
</RulesElement>

The CBLoader does not like the apostrophe in monk's ... what is the XML code for the apostrophe? In the meantime, I have changed that to say the following instead:

You gain training in Athletics or Acrobatics. You also gain the Monk Unarmed Combatant class feature and gain proficiency with ki focuses.

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

don't forget to include
code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>  
for the first line of any .part file to alleviate this problem.

In the alternative,
code:
&apos;
is the replacement for apostrophes.

I put his code directly into 09-feats.part. That line is there. CBLoader still choked on it. I took the apostrophe out and I think it's clearer without it.

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

That doesn't make any sense, because that's what I put into my feats.part and the builder took it just fine.

There might be a problem with taking the code of off this thread and directly pasting it into whatever you're using to code up the xml. Are you using Notepad++? That's what I'm using to code the .part files.

I am also using Notepad++. It doesn't matter now. It works the way I have it coded and I'm sure it'll work once it gets "officially" added into the .part file (and the file gets updated.) So, it's a moot point. :)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Fey Beast Tamer theme. My Dragonborn Rogue will get a kick out of having a Displacer Beast running around with him and his Kivit familiar. :)

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
For anyone's consideration: Class Acts - Runepriests article.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/downloads/dragon/404/404_Class_Acts_Runepriest.pdf

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I have no clue what I am doing wrong here.

Got everything installed, character builder, CBLoader, all that. Installed both to the same folder in my program files. Grabbed the WOTC Everything pack, put it in a Custom folder. Open CBLoader, wait an ice age for it to finish loading all the .parts and...nothing, none of the custom stuff showed up.

So I look on the wiki and it says try the hardpatch thing, So I do that and it just buggers the thing. Bugs me to Contact Wizards.

Any hints? I'm running XP on this machine so its not the VAC or anything.

Try closing the builder and relaunching it. I'm not sure what the default settings are but it sounds like it launched the builder first and continued compiling the .part files in the background. If you relaunch it, the custom stuff should be available.

To the guys releasing this stuff: is there a way you could change the default activity of the CBLoader to make it wait for a complete compile before launching the builder? At least for the first run?

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010

Gomi posted:

Just added this to the bug list:

Hexblades with Inherent Bonuses turned on are stacking the off-hand implement enhancement bonus with the Inherent Bonuses enhancement bonus. An 11th-level Gloom Pact Hexblade with Rod Expertise plus Superior Implement (Accurate Rod) displays a +19 to-hit with a +3 rod in the off-hand:

+6 Cha
+5 half level
+3 off-hand enhancement (+3 magic rod)
+2 Feat bonus (Paragon-tier Rod Expertise)
+1 Superior Implement bonus (Accurate Rod)
+2 enhancement bonus (Inherent Bonuses)

The +3 rod enhancement bonus should overwrite the inherent enhancement bonus.

edit: Also, is there any way to take Superior Implement (dagger) to enable an Accurate Pact Blade for a Warlock? Because they'd have the Dex for Cyclone Warrior, which works best with a weapon in each hand. Only other way I can think of to make that happen is with a Rod of Smiting, which 'can be used as' a mace, which might not be enough to satisfy Cyclone Warrior's condition. I guess Arcane Implement Training would do it, but I'm seriously out of feat room as it is.

Wait. Aren't Inherent bonuses meant to be used when there are not going to be any magic items in the game? If you are using magic items, you shouldn't be using the inherent bonus system. To further clarify: the bonus you are getting from the magic rod is a "off-hand enhancement bonus". This is different from an "enhancement" bonus and, therefore, stacks with that bonus type. Normally, with a hexblade pact weapon, you wouldn't have an enhancement bonus on the pact weapon, so this normally isn't an issue. However, this does come up if you MC your hexblade with a class who can use a Ki Focus since that does add an enhancement bonus to the attack. But it does stack with the off-hand enhancement bonus.

For the second part: You'll have to take the dagger arcane implement proficiency first, I think. Rod of Smiting and Ironscar (I think?) Rod can both be used as maces for melee attacks.

Undrhil fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 30, 2011

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010

Mustache Ride posted:

Inherent Bonuses are also used when you don't want to keep leveling your party's magic items.

Like if you get that +1 Flaming Sword at level 3 and use it to level 30, because you like its properties/powers.

Well, that would be up to the DM, though. You can't just decide "Oh, I found this cool magic item that I never want to get rid of or upgrade. I think I'll start using inherent bonuses now." If the DM gave you a +1 flaming weapon while using the inherent bonus system, then that's different, of course.

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010

Splicer posted:

I hate to be a bother about this, but is there any weird edge cases affected by making it just an enhancement bonus?

I have a better question: Can we code the Hexblade pact weapon to take advantage of *all* implements and not just the Rod and Wand? Since it's possible that a Hexblade could multiclass to another implement using class or take Arcane Implement Proficiency, it's a good bet that not all Hexblades will be just using a rod or a wand.

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
I'm pretty sure there is a way to do this, but I'm just not sure how to do it...

How can I modify a power so that it works slightly differently based on a feat selection?

For example, I want to modify the various Sorcerer "Requires: Dagger" powers so that they also require Kukri and Katar, but only if I have the Mastery of Knives feat. Is that possible?

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010

scpredmage posted:

Modifying individual powers like that is pretty easy; you just have to use a modify tag. If the field already exists in the power, it'll replace it with the new entry you specify, otherwise it'll tag it on at the end.

Here's a quick example that modifies the Ensorcelled Blade power:
code:
<modify name="Ensorcelled Blade" type="Power" Field="Requirement" value="You must be wielding a dagger, kukri, or katar." />

I changed the Requirement line in Ensorcelled Blade to include kukri and katar and the power still does not show anything unless a dagger is equipped. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
Just wanted to point out that the Hengeyokai is not from Heroes of the Feywild. It is a Dragon magazine article race tying in with Kara-Tur, not a preview of the book.

EDIT: Also, when I create a Thief with the Order Adept theme, I am unable to select Wizard Utility powers once I reach level 5. I have tried the Retraining tab and there are no Wizard utility powers showing up there either.

EDIT 2: Actually, when I create any Essentials character with the Order Adept theme, I cannot choose Wizard Utility powers once I reach level 5.

Undrhil fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 7, 2011

• Locked thread