Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

KingKalamari posted:

All the recent poo poo going on with D&D has given me enough of a kick in the pants to seriously look into finding a similar compromise fantasy system I can run. Most of the stuff I run tends to be science fantasy in the Thundarr the Barbarian, Masters of the Universe or Horizon Zero Dawn mold: Vaguely swords and sorcery medieval fantasy built on top of the ruins of an advanced civilization. Some of the players I regularly run for are big into in-depth character creation and customization so the system needs to have at least a reasonable amount of crunch to it to pique their interest. I also generally prefer to keep the over-all scope and narrative power level of the game somewhere around the second tier in D&D: A bunch of warriors who are slightly more capable than your average Joe taking care of local threats and the occasional evil wizard. The one other big thing: It needs to have support for creating your own race/ancestry options and preferably has a less regressive concept of teh mechanical differences between races than D&D does. I like to have tons and tons of monster-folks for my players to choose from and love homebrewing new species and cultures!

RULESET: Lite to Normal
SUPPORT: User-Generated to Established
Chargen: Quick to Involved
Setting: Neutral, established is fine if there's room to homebrew

What I've looked into so far:
Shadow of the Demon Lord: Pretty much hits the mechanical sweet spot I'm looking for, but I feel like the aesthetic of the vanilla game is going to be a turn-off to some players (Even if I'm not using the default setting). I also find race/ancestry options weirdly difficult to homebrew for reasons I don't entirely understand.
Symbaroum - Seems promising, I've only taken a cursory glance at it.

Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea is exactly what you’re looking for. It has more fiddly bits for character creation (but not too many) and a good amount of support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Thanks for the recommendations all! I think Barbarians of Lemuria looks to be the most up my alley: While Blueholme, Pars Fortuna, Fantastic Heroes & Witchery and Astonishing Swordsmen all have some good ideas I plan to mine, my main group has a bit of an aversion to some of the more old-school aspects of those sorts of systems. That said, BoL looks simple enough I could probably port some stuff from them over to it!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

KingKalamari posted:

All the recent poo poo going on with D&D has given me enough of a kick in the pants to seriously look into finding a similar compromise fantasy system I can run. Most of the stuff I run tends to be science fantasy in the Thundarr the Barbarian, Masters of the Universe or Horizon Zero Dawn mold: Vaguely swords and sorcery medieval fantasy built on top of the ruins of an advanced civilization. Some of the players I regularly run for are big into in-depth character creation and customization so the system needs to have at least a reasonable amount of crunch to it to pique their interest. I also generally prefer to keep the over-all scope and narrative power level of the game somewhere around the second tier in D&D: A bunch of warriors who are slightly more capable than your average Joe taking care of local threats and the occasional evil wizard. The one other big thing: It needs to have support for creating your own race/ancestry options and preferably has a less regressive concept of teh mechanical differences between races than D&D does. I like to have tons and tons of monster-folks for my players to choose from and love homebrewing new species and cultures!

RULESET: Lite to Normal
SUPPORT: User-Generated to Established
Chargen: Quick to Involved
Setting: Neutral, established is fine if there's room to homebrew

What I've looked into so far:
Shadow of the Demon Lord: Pretty much hits the mechanical sweet spot I'm looking for, but I feel like the aesthetic of the vanilla game is going to be a turn-off to some players (Even if I'm not using the default setting). I also find race/ancestry options weirdly difficult to homebrew for reasons I don't entirely understand.
Symbaroum - Seems promising, I've only taken a cursory glance at it.

Masters of Umdaar is a Fate setting that's designed to play with Fate Accelerated and which takes place in an extremely He-Man and/or Thundarr world.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
Thought experiment more than intent to run, as I've been playing a lot of Ghost of Tsushima but don't want to teach people with no interest in Japanese semi-historical/cultural games... Is there a game with minimal conversion that would approximate a cyber samurai setting, a la Emerald Stars from Imperial Histories 2 (L5R alt history)? Or thereabouts.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Just noticed this thread, gonna move this here:

I'm sick of playing Forged in the Dark games even though the rest of my group is in love with them. They ultimately feel like boardgames that got rid of the board and I just have never been able to have any real fun with them. Any suggestions for a different system when the game we're playing ends?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

If you like the fail-forward storytelling, and the success/mixed success/failure resolution mechanics, Apocalypse World is pretty rad and there's a lot of PBTA options in a wide variety of playstyles. I think it'd help a bit more to know what you actually wanna do in the next game, as well as things that you/your group like about FitD that you wanna keep.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
What's the most popular system on these here forums? I know how to run 5e / 4e DND, I can learn Pathfinder 1 or 2, and I know 13th age, I want to get a group together, but I need a wide net.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Boba Pearl posted:

What's the most popular system on these here forums? I know how to run 5e / 4e DND, I can learn Pathfinder 1 or 2, and I know 13th age, I want to get a group together, but I need a wide net.

I would say most popular is probably Blades or Lancer right now, but Fellowship is up there too. Probably depends on whether you mean “admired” or “widely-played”, too.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
"widely-played" for sure.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Broadly, DND, PF, or the infinite variations on the Powered by the Apocalypse system would be my guess.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Upgrade to Twilight 2013. That actually has a ruleset that's pretty decent. If you want to stick with T2K go with the 2.1 edition and hunt down the expansion Twilight Nightmares as well as the game Dark Conspiracy. Those two will give you all the weird science you need.

It just now occurs to me that few systems need an anti-Skynet campaign more.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Throwing in my usual support for Shadow of the Demon Lord. I can't say how wide your net might be, but there's an entire discord server that Serf made specifically for SotDL fans on the forum.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Disclaimer on SotDL: the system is solid, but the author kind of has that late childhood/early teen mentality that poo poo and vomit and dicks are hilarious. Some of the spells suffer from this, and so does the setting. Which is a shame because the setting itself is pretty fine for a dark fantasy situation.

Arthil posted:

Throwing in my usual support for Shadow of the Demon Lord. I can't say how wide your net might be, but there's an entire discord server that Serf made specifically for SotDL fans on the forum.

And it gets about one post every other week.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
On top of the maggotdick poopblood stuff, SotDL suffers immensely from the balance going to poo poo outside of the core book and maybe the Paths of X supplements (except the Spellguard), because Schwalb just stopped giving a poo poo about balancing spells after a while.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Aw c'mon, really? I thought it was mostly balanced, but in fairness I've only read like, a fraction of the total supplements out there.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lemon-Lime posted:

On top of the maggotdick poopblood stuff, SotDL suffers immensely from the balance going to poo poo outside of the core book and maybe the Paths of X supplements (except the Spellguard), because Schwalb just stopped giving a poo poo about balancing spells after a while.

the balance is bad right out of the core book

what happens in the supplements is that the copy editing and templating start going to poo poo too

e: I actually do like Shadow of the Demon Lord, mostly. It's a streamlined D&D clone, it's got some clever core mechanics, and 3-path character building is basically the perfect compromise between "one class forever" and a la carte multiclassing. It's a good game system held down by the mediocrity of all its actual content.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 28, 2020

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

crowtribe posted:

Thought experiment more than intent to run, as I've been playing a lot of Ghost of Tsushima but don't want to teach people with no interest in Japanese semi-historical/cultural games... Is there a game with minimal conversion that would approximate a cyber samurai setting, a la Emerald Stars from Imperial Histories 2 (L5R alt history)? Or thereabouts.

Tenra Bansho Zero.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I want someone to come up with the rules for Tenra Bansho Zero but as a system for DND. I might run 5e, but with TBZ HP rules.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

I want someone to come up with the rules for Tenra Bansho Zero but as a system for DND. I might run 5e, but with TBZ HP rules.

:yikes:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

As much as I love TBZ I can understand why you'd want to find more familiar ways to handle things like exp and story structure, and those are pretty heavily baked into the rules.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What is a good rules light/narrative game - ideally in the PBTA realm or something similar - for a game setting comparable in tone and scope to Warhammer Fantasy, albeit more in the "tier 2 or possibly 3 career" zone? In other words, "basically medieval setting," "people are competent at their areas of expertise but there isn't a ton of magic (but there is a little around)", etc.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Nessus posted:

What is a good rules light/narrative game - ideally in the PBTA realm or something similar - for a game setting comparable in tone and scope to Warhammer Fantasy, albeit more in the "tier 2 or possibly 3 career" zone? In other words, "basically medieval setting," "people are competent at their areas of expertise but there isn't a ton of magic (but there is a little around)", etc.

I've recently come across a PBTA game called The Sword, The Crown, and The Unspeakable Power; it might be what you're looking for, but it does take things into a more intrigue-y, Game of Thrones-y direction then what I believe Warhammer Fantasy does.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nessus posted:

Have you looked at Ironsworn? It's not quite medieval but should be reasonably possible to adapt.

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Have you looked at Ironsworn? It's not quite medieval but should be reasonably possible to adapt.

It is also free!
https://www.ironswornrpg.com/

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

and the delve supplement was in that big itch.io bundle against racial inequality, if you have that!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Arivia posted:

and the delve supplement was in that big itch.io bundle against racial inequality, if you have that!

And it's very very good!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Looking for a system that would be good for over the top John Woo/Tarantino gunplay/crime action. Specifically thinking of like the tone of Black Lagoon.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Looking for a system that would be good for over the top John Woo/Tarantino gunplay/crime action. Specifically thinking of like the tone of Black Lagoon.

Feng Shui?

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
I find myself having less and less prep time each week, so I'm looking for a quick n' easy superhero system I can run off the cuff.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

psychopomp posted:

I find myself having less and less prep time each week, so I'm looking for a quick n' easy superhero system I can run off the cuff.

Masks? (A PBTA superhero game)

Sentinels Comics RPG? (Effectively Marvel Heroic v2 but without the Marvel license; MHRP is good if you can find it)

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
I'll take a look at Sentinels; not looking to run a teen Supers coming-of-age game so something without a baked-in premise is preferred.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Double Cross?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

psychopomp posted:

ICONS is also really light and has a fun Universe Creation system.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

psychopomp posted:

Spectaculars is pretty straightforward, although it'd be a lot more work with just the pdfs and not the full box.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

psychopomp posted:

Depending on your definition of super heroes http://www.dangerpatrol.com is literally 0 prep.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Arivia posted:

Feng Shui?

I remember playing that with Cam at Origins, it might be something. I was also thinking of maybe Cortex.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

I remember playing that with Cam at Origins, it might be something. I was also thinking of maybe Cortex.

Feng Shui 2 is 100% the game you want for action movie shoot-outs, especially HK films. That's literally its entire purpose as a system.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

My roommate and I are looking to get a Stand based JoJo game going set between existing arcs; so either 1910-1925 or somewhere in 1950-1965. I've been pretty d&d centric so I'm not sure what might help make both dynamic characters and the stands.

RULESET: Crunch or below
SUPPORT: User-generated and up
CHARGEN: Involved/Days
SETTING: Universal/Neutral

Any suggestions?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I haven't played Valor yet, but it seems like it would be quite well suited to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Hmm, the review from the other megathread sounds interesting. Thanks!