Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

RULESET: Normal or lower
SUPPORT: DIY
CHARGEN: Quick, possibly involved (see the premise)
SETTING: Universal/Neutral

The pitch is Groundhog Doomsday. The player characters are supposed to be a group of friends caught in a futuristic city that gets hit by a lot of disasters in the very same day - alien invasion, genetic experiments gone awry, rogue AI, undead awakening, goddamned Godzilla. When they all die, they go back to the start of the day with memories of what happened (and is about to) and some XP (or equivalent) that may be used in skills/attributes (or equivalent) as well as powers. I am essentially looking for a super-hero system that can be scaled down to the level of common people or scaled up to the level of demigods (you know, in case they die so many times that they start to brute-force the problems). The game should be modular enough that players can get stuff between deaths without spending too much time looking at options, but also granular enough for there to be a gradual development of their competence.

I am kind of leaning to a house-ruled ORE/Wild Talents with premade powers and hyperstat sets, specially since my group is very familiar with it, but I am open to more ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So, I've been thinking of using either Mothership or Alien RPG for a horror two-shot. Could anyone walk me through the pros and cons of each system?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

NihilCredo posted:

Are there any games that take inspiration from Ars Magica or that, in your opinion, scratch similar itches? Doesn't need to be in the pseudo-historical fantasy setting either. The important 'itches' are:

- Troupe roleplaying and rotating PCs, everybody gets to be in the spotlight at different times and characters aren't strictly "yours"

- Emphasis on building up some form of "home base", alliances, resources etc. rather than being wandering murderhobos

- Emphasis on creating your own powers/abilities/gear, with creative freedom but still a sense of progression

(preempting the obvious: the WoD Mage games only check out the last box)

If you ask "why not just run Ars Magica", that is indeed my plan. But since the current edition is exactly 20 years old, I figure there's a decent chance something else in the same space has since come out that I had never heard of, and I should check those out before committing.

There's Greg Stolze's REIGN, which to be fair is over a decade old at this point. Some clarification.

-Troupe style isn't directly part of the mechanics, but can be done by just having different characters for the different levels of play. Not really different from other RPGs on this point though.

-It has extremely robust rules for companies that can go from your friendly neighbourhood thieves guild all the way to empires and the conflict and relationships between said factions.

-It comes with very flavourful magical and special skills that are part of its base setting, but it also has guidelines on creating your own spells/esoteric skills. It is not really stuff you can use from within the session though.