Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Fantasycraft could do that quite well, and I expect FATE-style games could do something good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice
Writing up some new Paths would probably be the easiest way, if you don't think taking levels in a 'real' caster-class would suit. You'd need to find a way to give those Paths to the relevant character(s) though.

For what it's worth, I'm fairly sure they had The Witcher in mind when they wrote the Monster Slayer and Alchemist expert classes.

Edit: Someone wrote up a base class for a Witcher-based character on the Crafty forums called The Primer.

UrbanLabyrinth fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 3, 2012

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice
My brother has written a Gamma World hack for Mass effect that he's running at a local convention. I could probably get a copy for you if D&D 4E/Gamma World is a framework you're happy to work with.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

canada jezus posted:

code:
RULESET [Lite-Normal] For everyone playing this will be there first Tabletop rpg, so best go easy i guess? Also they're all really lazy, none of them will want to read a hardcover book. Or any book at all i think.
SUPPORT [Established-Deep] In the same vein the less work i have to do the better. Pregen adventures to crib from might even be nice if possible.
CHARGEN [Quick-Involved-Days] this is a really wide net but char gen can take a night if need be, maybe it'll be a good way to get everyone up to speed on the rules.
SETTING [Just needs to feel like d&d]
So a group of friends wants to play d&d and since i'm the only person in the group who actually know how to play d&d i'm being drafted into gm duties. Frankly though i don't own any of the 4th edition books and 3.5 is way more work than i want to put into this.

I'd probably just do a boardgame normally but i think the guys want some more continuity. Everyone will be pretty wasted when we play so thats something to keep in mind. I'm basically just wondering if there is a d&d light that doesn't feel too dumbed down. Or if i should just try to teach everyone (myself included) burning wheel with one, i think, outdated book.

Maybe that exalted quickstart thing? I mean it'd be not really be d&d but good enough i think.

Either Dungeon World or Old School Hack would probably fit the 'feels like D&D, don't have to read a book to play, char-gen is quick' bill. DW is $5 (with an adventure) and has previews, OSH is free, so both are easy for you to check out and see if they're right for you.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

Sears Poncho posted:

I just saw 'Trollhunter' and I want to run something kind of like that.

Modern setting with the PC's fighting monsters on the fringes of civilization/in the wilderness. I know white wolf has a monster hunter thing in their line, but I'm not really sure if that's what I'm looking for - I want to do large scale cinematic battles against giant enemies, with some wilderness exploration and survival, and maybe some investigative elements.

No high tech, little or no magic (for the PC's, magic monsters work).

Don't have any real specific requirements as to how complicated the rules are or anything, but I'd take a simple solution over a complex one.

Monster of the Week might fit the bill, although I'm not sure if it has anything specifically focused on huge monsters.

Edit: Should probably mention it uses the Apocalypse World system, so nice and simple. Preview the playbooks at http://genericgames.co.nz/

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice
Have you looked at The Sprawl? It uses roles, a bit like Cyberpunk 2020 did, but they don't lock you in too much.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice
Spycraft 2.0?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

saberwulf posted:

RULESET: Lite to Crunchy
SUPPORT: DIY to Deep
CHARGEN: Quick to Days
SETTING: Universal to Neutral

So I've got this idea in my head to run a post-apocalypse game where everything just went straight FUBAR. Earthquakes, volcanos, nukes, anomalies, mutants, space-time rips, magic— Kind of like RIFTS without the dumb poo poo. I don't really want to run an Apocalypse World game, so I'm not sure what else to use. I'm open to GURPS if there's any specific books I should read.

Gamma World

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

Evil Sagan posted:

Alright, you guys are so smart. I got one for you. Pokemon. What system do I run Pokemon in. :colbert:

( Please and thank you :unsmith: )

Gamma World could work for this too, with each trainer controlling a PC for each monster. The X + Y character creation makes making things like Pokemon a breeze.

Edit for Comedy Option: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1625/pokemon-jr-adventure-game-pokemon-emergency

UrbanLabyrinth fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 15, 2013

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

spider bethlehem posted:

RULESET: Normal or crunchy
SUPPORT: Established
CHARGEN: Quick
SETTING: Neutral or established

:darksouls:

I'm trying to run a Dark Souls game. Half of my players are veteran sperglords, who are seriously suggesting Iron Heroes (they're mostly Pathfinder goons, but open to new experiences.). The other half are enthusiastic but extremely inexperienced with traditional rpgs, and just want to roll dice and have sad times being a cursed being in a world whose time is over.

Currently looking at using house-ruled 13th Age with no icons, some added rules for backstab/riposte, and backgrounds starting normally and being slowly degraded with time to represent the creeping progress of the curse of the undead. I don't know where to look to get into DungeonWorld but I hear that that's a popular system for the sort of dreamlike simplicity I want to capture.

Also accepting any advice on running a :darksouls: game. Should be between 4 and 6 players.

( :darksouls: )

No Icons? What do you think Covenants are?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice
Sixth World is a Dungeon World hack for Shadowrun, if you want to use those mechanics.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice
I think exchanging Nature (Mouse) for Nature (Child) is a pretty good straight swap. If it gets too high, you chicken out and run home, never to be seen again. If it drops too low, you lose your childish innocence and grow up.

Mouse Guard posted:

The Nature ability is unique among all the other abilities. While it has a rating like other abilities and skills, it is tagged by the animal it belongs to and includes three or four aspects or descriptions. For Mouse Guard characters, it’s Nature (Mouse). For mice, there are four aspects to their Nature: Escaping, Climbing, Hiding, Foraging. These aspects describe the situations in which you can use your Nature without penalty. If you use your Nature in situations outside of escaping, climbing, hiding and foraging, you risk losing a bit of it. The higher your Nature rank, the more mouselike you are. The lower your rank, the more “human” you are.

Substitute Creature for Animal, Child for Mouse, and Adult for Human, and it works pretty well. For Children, the four aspects are probably Hiding, Exploring, Charming, Distracting or something similar.

UrbanLabyrinth fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

LongDarkNight posted:

I asked my Indie RPG group for some general themes we might want to explore for our next game and got back a very specific response.

Any suggestions for games that might fit the bill? I was thinking Lovecraftesque or A Town Called Malice and going easy on the supernatural.

Something like Fiasco might also hit similar notes.