Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm thinking of running a "Zero to Hero" game in I-can't-believe-it's-not-Classical-Greece. I'm having a hard time settling on a system that can span the full range from peasants to army slaughtering super-heroes. Are there any systems that are fun to play through that entire range?

RULESET: Normal or Light
SUPPORT: DIY
CHARGEN: N\A - most character elements will be built up through play
SETTING: Established or lower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Heart Attacks posted:

Is it intentional that rolling is a way better option than taking the predefined stats (average of 7 vs automatic 3)? Edit: That might be how it works in World of Dungeons too, I dunno, never touched the game.

I'm looking for a system that's really light (really light!) that's suitable for superhero games, but I'm only familiar with Mutants and Masterminds (which is the opposite of really light, as far as I'm concerned; if it takes me more than 15 minutes to build the character I want to play, I consider it to be out!) Something suitable for, say, Fantastic Four-ish characters would be sweet. Narrative mechanics are a plus; I'm in love with the Powered by the Apocalypse games, and I'd love FATE if it weren't such a pain in the butt to homebrew (and these days I just can't be bothered to read a 250 page book to learn a system like I could when I was in high school).

PDQ is the lightest system I know and there's been at least one successful Supers game using it on these forums. PDQ# is basically the same thing with a few more fiddly bits. You could also give Fate Accelerated Edition a look.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Haystack posted:

This is literally the sort of game Heroquest 2e was designed for, right down to having a not-Classical-setting in the back of the book. It's about as rules-light as they come, though.

This sounds very exciting. The review you linked makes it sound a lot like PDQ with a D20. How is it better? Worse?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

SageNytell posted:

FATE Core. Absolutely FATE Core, it's flexible enough to do whatever you need it to while giving you consistent mechanics the whole way.

Seconded. Take a look at fate accelerated too. Dungeon World or better yet a collection of *World games would likely work well.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Rockopolis posted:

Is
Jovian Chronicles/Silhouette System any good? I got a copy in a holiday bundle a while back that I haven't had time to read.

Best Mech RPGs I've seen (although refluffing 4E works veeery well for a pure mech and no pilot stats game). The problem my group had with Silhoutte is that most actions were either trivial or virtually impossible. Combat was similar with it either being a very fast turkey shoot or a long tedious grind with neither side able to do much damage. If you like highly lethal games, its worth a try.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

What systems handle a party of all wizards well? I'm hoping there's something I haven't heard of that both allows interesting spontaneous magic and provides enough variety to differentiate 4-6 player characters. Bonus points if it incentivizes traditional wizard behavior like researching new spells, studying in an isolated tower, and making magical geegaws of dubious purpose.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I like to use Savage Worlds for tactical games. It's got a "NORMAL" level of crunchiness and a high lethality. Even once characters get a bunch of levels under their belt, one good hit can take them out and they can only take a couple of hits under the best conditions. There've been a couple of xcom games run using it on the forums here, where the characters start out even weaker than usual by taking their bennies away and it worked well. Dudes were dropping right and left until they started using smarter tactics.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Everblight posted:

Our group is looking to start a game with giant robots (half of us are huge Gundam fans)... looking for a little assistance, since the Palladium Robotech book is, well, Palladium.

Ruleset: Normal to Crunchy. CPA might be a bit much, but our group doesn't quite cotton to that storygame nonsense.

Support: Established would be nice, but we're not married to a Gundam(tm) game, totally fine with generic giant robots.

Chargen: Involved at least. These are supposed to be *our* giant robots, so heavy creation options are fine.

Basically, what is a fun, easy-to-run system that offers giant robots and giant robot combat as well as non-robot-combat stuff. We've tried hacking together FATE and the King Arthur robot system but it's a bit light for what we want. Any suggestions? Maybe even Mutants & Masterminds?

I like Jovian Chronicles and Heavy Gear for robot games. Both games can handle out of mech stuff decently, but I agree that having separate systems for inside and outside of mechs is probably a good idea.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

RULESET: Normal - Crunchy
SUPPORT: User-Generated-Established
CHARGEN: Quick-Involved
SETTING: Established

Im looking for a game to set up for a bunch of first time players that I can easily set up and then leave to one of them to GM because that certain player is really interested in GMing, Guy loves his story making and I believe hed have ghe most fun that way.

Most importantly though Im looking for a system that is good for first timers yet still a bit crunchy with well defined rules so theyre not completely stuck not knowing what their characters are capable of and where there arent really any bad choices at chargen. Equal powers of agency to all players is a must.

As a bonus thing: If any systems are based off of well known stories (LotR/Star wars) please suggest them.
13th age, 4th ed AD&D or whatever the newest edition is all sound like what you are going for. I prefer fluffier systems myself, but there you go.

Oh! Savage Worlds would probably be perfect. Takes <15 minutes to make a character, has simple but detailed enough rules and lots of pre-built setting/campaign books.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I have a question about picking a game system.

I have modular dungeons made from paper crafts that fit onto a grid, and I have a slew of adorably goofy paper minis.

I was planning on trying D&D 4e with friends but the rules are close to a deal breaker. Don't get me wrong - I actually like them a lot because I love the "lets make this a fun and balanced miniatures game" approach, but the people I play with are absolutely not going to invest in learning the system and I'm afraid any attempt at playing it will devolve into endless rule questions and go incredibly slowly. There's that one guy who refuses to read anything, that one guy who gets upset if any rule he doesn't know about hurts him (but also refuses to listen to rule explanations), and one other functional human being who isn't a problem. They're board gamers, but the first few times with any new game is like pulling teeth.

Is there something out there on par with old school D&D basic? Like if 4e just gave you a move number, 3 powers and a hit point total that would be close to perfect. Bloodied status, crit ranges, stat values, surges, initiative, feats, (2w+5 damage)... These are great things to people who want to dig into a system but I just want to set up something where characters murder things and get loot in a five room dungeon over the course of an hour and a half.

Has anyone made this? And yes we've played Descent. God willing we never will again. The D&D board games look too easy. Gamma world actually looked really close to what I was looking for, but sadly my paper minis wouldn't work with it.

Anyway, per the format:

Ruleset: Lite
Support: Whatever
Chargen: Open to whatever, I'll probably be making them before the session
Setting: Fantasy, Goofy fantasy, Goofy horror
Special Request: Combat focused, grid based, limited rule explanations

Sounds like you're looking for 4th ed Essentials.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

You might give Full Thrust a try. I've never had a chance to try out the rules, but its an entire game for space combat. The rules are available for free and are available here

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I'm looking for games with good magic systems I can crib ideas from or possibly steal wholesale, so I don't really care about anything about the game or setting, except how it handles magic. Bonus points if the magic system is as easy to grasp the basics of but allows players to put the pieces together in awesome ways. The runes in Ultima Underworld is a good example. HIT me with your favorite mechanics for magic.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

QuantumNinja posted:

I'm not looking for a particular system to play, but a friend of mine recently asked me if there were a lot of games that didn't have combat as a core mechanism. Even Apoc World typically contains a combat every session or so, with classes built around throwing down (even if that 'combat' is just someone loving someone else up in a Seize action). Can people here name a few?

Nobilis is much more about divine tea parties than about throwing punches, but you can throw punches too. I assume you're looking for RPGs because there are tons of board games without combat.

I don't know much about Monster Hearts but all the games seem to be about teenage drama. It's pretty popular around here so I'm sure someone can chime in to say if it even has mechanics for fighting.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 2, 2015

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

inklesspen posted:

I backed Strike! and I'm looking forward to playing it, but right now the Kickstarter-backer draft is so text-dense it's unreadable. And I don't think the tactical combat works without a grid.

IIRC Savage Worlds requires both dice and a deck of cards; am I wrong? also, what support exists there for fantasy magic?

When I ran Savage Worlds I used a die roller in place of the cards which worked really well. The deck of cards is mostly there for the flavor of having jokers.

You're going to have a hard time finding something that preserves D&D class and magic feel while shunning any of the systems that do so. Maybe give GURPS a look? One of the various pirate game systems might work for Eberron too. I'm not familiar with them but I think Seventh Sea is well thought of.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Harrow posted:

Is there a system that is especially good for running play-by-post games? I'm considering starting one up but I've never done it before and I'm not sure what to use. I'm gravitating towards Dungeon World, but I've seen arguments that the PbtA games lose a lot when you take away the immediacy of live play.

Since you're already leaning that way, I'd suggest Dungeon World. It's a solid system that works well in PbP.

PbP doesn't handle tactical combats or systems well because it takes forever to resolve a single initiative round.

PbP is fantastic for allowing really vibrant descriptions and anything that allows players narrative control because there is so much more time to think and write up a post than you'd have time for if playing around a table.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Kaza42 posted:

So I'm looking to run a heavily economic game, around a sort of Hanseatic League or East India Company style deal, where the players are merchants - either representing a company or individuals, either works - and really gets into the details of economic manipulation and trade. The sort of game where you could actually represent currency-debasement schemes, stock inflation and hype. Preferably, it should also have some systems for dealing with political/personal influence and favors. Do any games fit this style of play?

Ruleset: Crunchy-CPA
Support: User-Established
Chargen: Involved
Setting: Any

Reign.

Ceetee posted:

The big thing is that I dont actually want a roleplaying game. I want more of a 'combat system'. My group and I like handling our character interactions and stuff like that in our own way, and every game insists on butting into that. Anything like skill systems akin to those in DnD is generally a huge turn off, and will usually go completely ignored by us, while games that make you choose between in combat utility and out of combat utility like WoD are completely out of the question. Likewise for any kind of 'stunt system', where you are rewarded mechanically for roleplaying. We want as much as a divide between the roleplaying and the combat as we can. We have tried games like Dungeon World, thinking it would be a good fit for blending the two, and while I love the way its set up and how the playbooks work, once we all got to combat it felt... weird and unnatural.

I've looked at Anima Prime (recommended by this very thread last time I was here!), and its close, but feels like its not quite there. I do however ESPECIALLY love its 'jrpg' style combat, where there is no grid, or ranges, its just you and the enemies trading blows back and forth, with the general guideline of "If they are in the fight, they are in range". I would very much love something else like that. The jprg feel in general is what we are going for, with combat being completely separate from the actual roleplaying, which we are doing freeform. This is part of what made Dungeon World feel so unnatural to us. There was no actual separation of roleplaying and combat. It felt more movie like, when we would prefer something more like an actual game.

Again, we are all big JRPG nerds, so it doesn't really matter if it is a sci-fi setting or a fantasy one, as we will probably meet halfway in the middle anyway. As long as we can customize the setting, its fine. Likewise for characters. The more customization options, the better, although we wouldn't be against something like Gamma World where combat is very fatal, but character generation extremely quick.

RULESET: Between normal and crunchy
SUPPORT: User Generated and up, but preferably easy to customize
CHARGEN: Quick or Involved
SETTING: Anything but inseparable
ESSENTIAL INFO: The game MUST NOT make you chose between in combat and out of combat utility. That is a major no-go for us.
ADDITIONAL INFO: Well defined rules for combat, preferably without movement, with the game being very hands off for things outside of combat.

F.N.G or Only War might work for you. There is an FNG game running here right now and there have been a bunch of Only War games. They mostly model modern squad level combat though so getting to JRP might be difficult.

You should look at mecha games. PoptartNinja's Mechwarrior game was hella fun and might even still be running. I like Heavy Gear too, you can drop the combat skills without losing anything.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I've been watching RWBY lately. Are there any systems that encourage those kinds of cinematic fights? If you haven't seen it, RWBY has a wide range of weapons; everything from guns to nunchucks and the fights are very fluid with all kinds of crazy acrobatics.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

How do you feel about Exalted? It's the only thing other than GURPs that can really fit most/all of your restrictions. You'd want Exalted 2.5E with the Burn Legend setting from Shards of the Exalted Dream, it's essentially a separate game that uses the Exalted 2.5E system to do Dragonball/Street Fighter, it uses an altered version of the combat system as well.

How mechanically sound is Burn Legend? Exalted 2E is pretty broken and unfun.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

I'm kind of interested in running a star trek game, though confused as to what system would be best for it. Anyone have any ideas as for that?

I think Atomic Robo would work really well. Atomic Robo's mechanism for doing an investigation and their approach to science/knowledge skills fits the setting to a T. I've been tempted to run it a couple of times but haven't had a good clear space on my calendar yet.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Moriatti posted:

What's the best giant robot game? Trying to get my friends into games that aren't just D&D (or Pathfinder) and Shadowrun.

I like Heavy Gear & Jovian Chronicles.

Someone ran a game here where the players reskinned 4E classes as giant mechs that was pretty cool if you're just trying to get away from the setting.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

What are the best systems for running PbP games? I've tried several systems here over the years and none of them really clicked as being ideal for this medium.

With narrative games like Dungeon World or FAE I feel like there's not enough back-and-forth. With more tactical games like Savage Worlds or 4th ed. D&D I end up doing all the mechanical work of keeping the map up to date which is a drag and makes combats take forever.

Cascade Jones posted:

Late to the party on this: instead of Heavy Gear 2E, just go straight to DP9's Jovian Chronicles. It's already Universal Century Gundam with the serial filed off.

Between the two I do like Jovian Chronicles better. JC is better for space Gundams, but if I remember right it hardly mentions how mechs work on ground. Its worth noting that Heavy Gear and JC use the exact same rules set.

The resolution mechanics make both pretty swingy.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I've been GMing a game of Dungeon World for a few months now, and both my players and I are burning out. Part of it is that I play with coworkers after work, and we're way too braindead to improv and make moves on the fly by then. The other is that it demands too much energy and improvisational skill for me, especially after said workday, and I can tell that the players are running ragged too.

I'm considering offering to run a new system that requires less overhead/is simpler to run and play, or just taking a break. If we take the former option, what's a good RPG that works for 4~5 people total, isn't very crunchy, doesn't require a lot of thinking, and can still generate a lot of fun in two hours? Ideally something that I can just run out of a book, because the last thing I want to do after work is write a loving story or prep.

(After work games might just be a bad idea in general, too, which would make a lot of sense.)

Less crunch usually means more improv. Dungeon world is already pretty system light, I'm not sure what the next step towards less crunch would be short of PDQ which is almost pure fluff and improv. Maybe take a look at Fate or Fate Accelerated, but there's not much on the system light side that also has pre-built adventures.

I think if you just want a straightforward dungeon crawl type thing you might want to give Strike a try. It keeps the honestly rather excellent tactical combat of 4th ed D&D and marries it to a better set of out of combat rules. It was developed right here on SA by a goon.

Descent is a decent dungeon crawl. Not as good as Gloomhaven, but also easier.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

TaintedBalance posted:

So I've been kicking around different ideas on this for years, and figured it would probably be better to just ask here. I'd like to run a game in the King's Field universe (FROM Softwares core RPG series before they dropped Demon Souls and changed the gaming world). There are three main points I'm interested translating from the world into the actual gameplay:

*Cool and nifty weapons and armor (I was originally considering Exalted 3e because I think artifacts actually work pretty well here)
    *Magic and melee being freely mixed together (this is where I'm stretching)
    *The kind of forlorn lost feeling that is brought on by the forces of evil already winning the first round (this is where I'm REALLY lost)

RULESET: Normal to Crunchy
SUPPORT: Established would be wonderful (at least being able to just reskin a bunch of existing stuff) but down to DIY is fine
CHARGEN: Involved to Days, preferably non-class based but if they are relatively loose, that can work.
SETTING: Universal to Neutral

I don't think the per slot armor system from the KF games is really a value add, so don't need anything that in depth. Stuff like piercing vs bashing is also mostly superfluous, but support for elemental damage and status effects is a plus. Honestly, as I type this out, I realize I'm looking to see if there are some better suggestions out there than just doing a conversion based on Exalted 3e. It would take a decent amount of work to do this, but could work out.

Tempted to suggest Darksun 4E (Dungeons and Dragons) based on your second and third *s. I don't know of anything that balances melee and magic as well. Class based though.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

What’s the best system for dungeon crawl(s)? I’m too busy with my current games to start another, so this is mostly a thought experiment. It has been a long time since I played something tactical and I am wondering what’s out there now.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

Looking for some scifi rpgs, in the vein of Star Wars but not necessarily Star Wars. Cowboys, fantasy elements, space travel etc

Lasers and feelings.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Kaiju15 posted:

I'm looking for a system that supports high magic fantasy role playing where I can play a dude who just hits stuff with a big sledgehammer and not feel like BMX Bandit next to the spellcasters after a few levels.

4E, Strike.

Possibly Dungeon World, but I never saw it played at high levels.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I've seen space games use nothing but a relative velocity track for positioning.

I'm specifically thinking of a hard sci-fi mech game from ~20 years ago. Jupiter something or other, I can't remember the exact name. It had a single-system multipolity setting, with Earth Natives, and some folks living on Jupiter's moons and colony ships "orbiting" in Jupiter's L4 & L5 points being two of the major powers.

I think there have been some sword-fight/dueling focused games with extreme crunch that just assume everyone is within stabbing range at all times, and tactical decision making is instead about picking the correct stances or even specific swings.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

DigitalRaven posted:

Jovian Chronicles?

That's the one.

Tsilkani posted:

Jovian Chronicles tracks range as well as inertial velocity.

I guess I forgot about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

GladRagKraken posted:

I've been considering how to run a campaign similar to the Commonweal series. After careful consideration, asking players to become familiar with the vibe of a world that you only get glimpses of through text closer to puzzle boxes than novels AND to learn the bookkeeping associated with Ars Magica seems like a lot.

Which is to say I'm very interested in where you land with this. Please do keep us updated.

A Commonweal game sounds amazing! You might try running it as a systemless CYOA like some of the forum games here. The magic system is so flexible and has such a wide range of power I don't know how you could describe it mechanically. FYI, there's a Commonweal book series thread. Which seems like something you might be interested in.