Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sliding in to say I've started Morrowind for the first time and, uh, this game slaps hard. Unironically loving all the reading, navigation via directions from locals, and worldbuilding. I can't stop playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
It's eccentric, a goofy game that is just weird as all hell in some ways. Imo it's sort of the last good elder scrolls but that's mostly nostalgia & is bs

It is one of the ones where it really felt like they were still ttrpg-ing the setting. They could have gone bust if Xbox had better rpgs in that brown era of gaming or if the pc sales had been shittier. Some of the relic stuff that's in those books and all that probably was some dorks irl around a table, not just the sermons getting commissioned

Reach heaven by violence then, try to beat it without getting too spoiled

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm trying to stay completely unspoiled so I'm not looking at this thread too closely. In Skyrim all the dunmer are refugees from the Red Mountain exploding which I assume is the result of this game, but that is as far as I know. Plotwise I just delivered the lost prophecies to the ashlanders and now I'm doing some sort of warrior trial for the ashkahn.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

SettingSun posted:

I'm trying to stay completely unspoiled so I'm not looking at this thread too closely. In Skyrim all the dunmer are refugees from the Red Mountain exploding which I assume is the result of this game, but that is as far as I know. Plotwise I just delivered the lost prophecies to the ashlanders and now I'm doing some sort of warrior trial for the ashkahn.

Are you speeding through the main quest? I wouldn't as a first time player, personally.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm not, don't worry. I'm 40 hours in and I do a lot wandering around and faction advancement. I had to bail on a Fighters Guild quest to kill some gangers up north because they were kicking my rear end.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

SettingSun posted:

Sliding in to say I've started Morrowind for the first time and, uh, this game slaps hard. Unironically loving all the reading, navigation via directions from locals, and worldbuilding. I can't stop playing.
Please post your adventures!

Naylenas posted:

Do you think your insurance company will need a police report?

Sadly he's starting a new job next week so I have to check the paperwork on when it kicks in but I recall a dismemberment clause.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SettingSun posted:

:hmmyes:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SettingSun posted:

I'm trying to stay completely unspoiled so I'm not looking at this thread too closely. In Skyrim all the dunmer are refugees from the Red Mountain exploding which I assume is the result of this game, but that is as far as I know.
Without spoiling anything, this event was first revealed in a bad novel in 2009 and we were all surprised too, so don't expect too much on that point

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

SettingSun posted:

I'm not, don't worry. I'm 40 hours in and I do a lot wandering around and faction advancement. I had to bail on a Fighters Guild quest to kill some gangers up north because they were kicking my rear end.

was that caldera? that's usually a bit of a difficulty hike if you're rushing through balmora fighters guild quests, but if you're 40hrs in you can probably go back and smash their poo poo up now

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

This particular quest was to take out an outlaw in Sargon, way up north. When I traveled there the first time the outlaws in there chewed me up and spit me out. That was a while ago and I went back there recently with my newly minted 100 long blade skill and cleaned up the cave. I'm a Warder now and my adventuring here and elsewhere has made my martial prowess pretty formidable.

While heading to this quest to prove myself for the ashkhan I came across a dead ordinator fully kitted out in armor. Sick, this set is a cut above the hodgepodge of steel and orcish I'm wearing. To my surprise, the actual ordinators seem to take offense to this. The first one I talked to in town attacked me for the insult. Welp, I'm not taking it off so the locals will just have to deal.

Caius was recalled to the mainland but not before making me the highest ranking Blade in the region. With this freedom I've lightened up the main quest in lieu of some freelance adventuring. I'm enjoying just walking the island and going into places. I have a bad habit of sallying forth without being adequately supplied. I got close enough to Red Mountain to encounter the ghost fence. For some reason I didn't think it was a literal magic fence surrounding the mountain. That's pretty awesome.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

SettingSun posted:

This particular quest was to take out an outlaw in Sargon, way up north. When I traveled there the first time the outlaws in there chewed me up and spit me out. That was a while ago and I went back there recently with my newly minted 100 long blade skill and cleaned up the cave. I'm a Warder now and my adventuring here and elsewhere has made my martial prowess pretty formidable.

While heading to this quest to prove myself for the ashkhan I came across a dead ordinator fully kitted out in armor. Sick, this set is a cut above the hodgepodge of steel and orcish I'm wearing. To my surprise, the actual ordinators seem to take offense to this. The first one I talked to in town attacked me for the insult. Welp, I'm not taking it off so the locals will just have to deal.

Caius was recalled to the mainland but not before making me the highest ranking Blade in the region. With this freedom I've lightened up the main quest in lieu of some freelance adventuring. I'm enjoying just walking the island and going into places. I have a bad habit of sallying forth without being adequately supplied. I got close enough to Red Mountain to encounter the ghost fence. For some reason I didn't think it was a literal magic fence surrounding the mountain. That's pretty awesome.

You’re at some of my favorite parts of the main quest in the game. Enjoy it. But don’t forget to do the faction quests and Great House quests.

I can’t tell you how jealous I am of you. Please tell us how things go, I’m sure we’d all love to hear it!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Ordinator armor owns, not only do you get p good medium armour you also get free weapons training every time you go to Vivec

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You're telling me! Also I'm also considering training Marksman so I can snipe these goddamn cliff racers out of the air.

After some more questing for the Fighters Guild I was contracted by the steward of Aldruhn's chapter to take out the guildmaster and his cronies on the grounds of corruption. So I did! Now I'm guildmaster. Nice. The fights weren't too tough, and I feel pretty confident about my battles going forward, assuming I prepare adequately against magic.

I regret a bit throwing my hat in with House Hlaalu. The local knowledge said of the three they were the most tolerant of the outlanders, but their underhanded mercantile schtick better suited thievery. I did not understand the value of a faction's favored skills until it became an issue here. I'm a warrior, and this House's favorite skills are all misc for me, so they are lightly trained, which makes advancement more work. I ended up paying for training but this is only going to get me so far. Also my sponsor in Vivec is a huge creep???? Politics, man.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

SettingSun posted:

You're telling me! Also I'm also considering training Marksman so I can snipe these goddamn cliff racers out of the air.

After some more questing for the Fighters Guild I was contracted by the steward of Aldruhn's chapter to take out the guildmaster and his cronies on the grounds of corruption. So I did! Now I'm guildmaster. Nice. The fights weren't too tough, and I feel pretty confident about my battles going forward, assuming I prepare adequately against magic.

I regret a bit throwing my hat in with House Hlaalu. The local knowledge said of the three they were the most tolerant of the outlanders, but their underhanded mercantile schtick better suited thievery. I did not understand the value of a faction's favored skills until it became an issue here. I'm a warrior, and this House's favorite skills are all misc for me, so they are lightly trained, which makes advancement more work. I ended up paying for training but this is only going to get me so far. Also my sponsor in Vivec is a huge creep???? Politics, man.

:allears: this is great, please keep us updated.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Captain Theron posted:

:allears: this is great, please keep us updated.

For real; I can never play this game for the first time again, but rest assured we've all been there and we're loving these accounts.

What's your equipment like aside from the armor? Got any magic items?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Without spoiling anything, this event was first revealed in a bad novel in 2009 and we were all surprised too, so don't expect too much on that point

Wanted to pop in just to say that I thought the ES novels were surprisingly good. Much more on the “weird alien” side of the lore and less “green fields and knights.”

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

SettingSun posted:

Dump a glass sword on creeper and train some useful misc skills. They count towards building an attribute, but not the actual level bar so you can get some +5 boosts going.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ol Maxim the Imperial Warrior (born under The Lady) is enjoying his adventures on Vvardenfell. He leads the Fighters Guild, is currently abandoning his post as Spearman in the Legion, and is paying local dunmer for speech lessons to conduct more Hlaalu business. His newest hobby is eliminating the ordinators who won't leave him alone and selling their gear.

I like to jump around quests and adventuring so I returned to the my goal of trying to figure out if I'm the Nerevarine. It has been a fascinating journey so far. I am really enjoying learning the history of Nerevar and how there are several conflicting accounts about what actually went down in the First Council War. Anyway, the wise women says I meet the first two trials, being born in a certain way and being immune to corpus, so it's time for the third. Solving the riddle and following the directions leads to the Cave of the Incarnate, hidden within dawn and dusk, and within the hands of a statue of Azura is Nerevar's ring, the Moon-and-Star. I remember the accounts of this artifact: it is enchanted so that only Nerevar can wear it, and it enhanced his force of personality. Turns out I can wear it, and it boosts personality and speechcraft. I guess I really am the Incarnate. A bunch of ghosts of failed versions of me gave me their things. These are good magic items, including one that casts levitate(!!).

Next up is to I suppose go down the rest of the 7 trials in order. That mean uniting the people of Vvardenfell behind my banner. All 4 ashland tribes and the 3 Houses must recognize me as the Nerevarine. That seems like a tall, tall order. Everyone hates each other and the Tribune religion views the Nerevarines as heretical (presumably since their existence will reveal the truth of the source of the Tribunal's immortality). The ashland tribe that helped me names me Nerevarine without question, so I move on to trying to sway Hlaalu. This leads back to Crassius Curio (god I hate this man!!!) who says if the council unanimously agrees, they will name me Hortator, effectively the war leader against the Sixth House. I have to find each councilor myself and so far I have found half of them. So far they get my vote via bribes. They don't seem to mind the metaphysical implications of the Incarnate currently existing.

Jack B Nimble posted:

For real; I can never play this game for the first time again, but rest assured we've all been there and we're loving these accounts.

What's your equipment like aside from the armor? Got any magic items?

I've got a smattering a magic items from adventuring. Armor is entirely mundane, and if there's explicit magical armor (outside of rings/shirts/belts etc) I haven't found any yet. I'm mostly wearing ordinator gear, but I found an ebony helm during a Fighters Guild quest, and while I was down in Kogoruhn proving myself to the ashlanders I found a pair of daedric gauntlets (and also an exit into Red Mountain bypassing the ghost fence :ohdear:). While the spirits of the failed incarnates gave me some really good magic gear I am really lacking a decent long blade. I use an old steel sparksword.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 24, 2024

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's magic armor, but most of the best of it is either a Daedric quest or a quest for the Imperial cult.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I personally want to be pretty conservative with laying the game bare to a new player, but have you noticed that creating magic items is a service the Mages guild offers? That's the kind of thing, an entire game mechanic/faction interaction, I wouldn't want to go overlooked, and if you're not playing a mage you might have little reason to go poke around a Mage's guild hall.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Here's my hosed up opinion that you should probably not listen to since everybody else does it: using Creeper and the Mudcrab merchant is cheating :twisted:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I would suggest going back to where you contracted corpus and having a really good look around. There are a pair of gauntlets that are near a big stone tub that are worth your time to go and get.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I do wonder if there is a vendor that could actually pay out the entire worth of the ebony maces I keep liberating from the ordinators. I have not delved into the magical arts of this game except tangentially. I fully intend to play a second time as a mage and go nuts on that half. If there's one thing I fully know of this game it's that you can make truly busted magic spells.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Quick update: A duel with the arch magister of House Redoran has named me their Hortator. But that's secondary to the fact that guy was kitted out in full ebony gear with a deadric daikatana. With it I can fell an ordinator in 4-5 hits. I shall be unstoppable!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

SettingSun posted:

I do wonder if there is a vendor that could actually pay out the entire worth of the ebony maces I keep liberating from the ordinators. I have not delved into the magical arts of this game except tangentially. I fully intend to play a second time as a mage and go nuts on that half. If there's one thing I fully know of this game it's that you can make truly busted magic spells.

Unless you're roleplaying, I'd definitely get some basic spells. You want the intervention spells for sure and ideally levitate of some kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SettingSun posted:

Quick update: A duel with the arch magister of House Redoran has named me their Hortator. But that's secondary to the fact that guy was kitted out in full ebony gear with a deadric daikatana. With it I can fell an ordinator in 4-5 hits. I shall be unstoppable!

Yeah, it totally worked to make that guy unstoppable, it'll work for you!