Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46036
I rebalanced my rebalance mod (the sixth house one), its the only one I wasn't too happy with, but this time around it should feel much more fair. Lots of custom spells and changes abound. Hopefully I didn't swing the pendulum too far back where I made it easy again.

I know I told flock to not use paralysis immunity but these are weird demons so this is totally different :wink:

FlocksOfMice posted:

I'm here to be confused again, I'm so sorry.

I gave moving the ship activator with the PositionCell command a try instead.

But after moving position, the new ship activator has no collision until I reload the cell--which means when I step out of the ship, I, once again, fall into the water. I keep cliping through the ship until I enter and exit a nearby building to give the ship collision in its new position now. Is this another weird engine problem there's a workaround for?

And with the enable-disable method instead,

Wouldn't that hit the same problem of the object's enabled collision not applying until after the player's been placed in the water on the exterior cell load?

huh I've never heard of that happening before. have you tried just copying the other mods scripts entirely lol

check and see if they're doing anything janky with enabling disabling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I gave up on the boat mod, I'm sure it's a simple thing I'm missing but it was just too frustrating.

Instead I've gone completely insane again, and started redoing all of Vivec's Waistworks. I know Rethinking Vivec kind of does some of that, but the problem with Vivec has always been long, bland, featureless hallways, and rethinking vivec doesn't really do anything nearly enough for my satisfaction. It just kind of merges the foreign canton waistworks together and adds like, one new building, and it's super incompatible with a ton of stuff. I'm keeping mine VERY compatible, it even makes room for Uvirith Legacy's hidden easter egg.

The real problem with Vivec is it feels like another velothi tomb, rather than a holy metropolis. Vast, long, empty stretches of identical hallways, with nothing to see or do but hold down shift+w.

So, I've broken up the empty hallways with indoor parks, fast food shops, tiny markets, a craft brewery, a souvenir shop, some shrines, a foreign embassy/information center, more indoor parks, a laundry room, a high-scale sit-down restaurant in the foreign canton, shrines to deceased warriors in Redoran, magic shops in Telvanni, corporate-styled meetingroom/parks in Hlaalu, and ancestor ghosts that sing prayers of love and praise for Vivec.

I literally spent a 12 hour fugue state working on it today, please save me.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

that sounds friggin sweet

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
https://imgur.com/a/VrTCW2h

extremely early wip shots but that's the basic sort of feel i need to find some more pieces to use for variety's sake but it's a start

turning it off when i'm done testing and going back to normal vivec is so depressing now i've goblin marketed myself i can't go back to a bland vivec i'm compelled to finish this

The Doormat
Dec 20, 2010

:dukedog:

FlocksOfMice posted:

Uvirith Legacy's hidden easter egg.

:stare:

Well, I guess I need to start snooping around there.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

The Doormat posted:

:stare:

Well, I guess I need to start snooping around there.

I had done an entire wing for one of the cantons and when I checked it out in-game it was glitchy with doubling. Ori revealed that apparently UL adds a big secret in one of the vivec cantons and I never knew this until I accidentally tried to dig a hecking tunnel through it. It's great.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I had a dream last night that I was trying to install a Morrowind mod but it was badly optimised and wouldn't quite work properly.

Possibly the nerdiest dream in history of dreams.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

FreudianSlippers posted:

I had a dream last night that I was trying to install a Morrowind mod but it was badly optimised and wouldn't quite work properly.

Possibly the nerdiest dream in history of dreams.

That isn't a dream, that's a nightmare. My goondolences.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/48834?tab=description

I'm shoving this out the door. I hope, someday, someone does a version of this that shames mine greatly, but right now, there's been nothing to make the waistworks not a horrible boring ugly mass of empty corridors. This at least makes the waistworks less miserable. Also adds in some shortcuts. I'm free of my compulsion to mod morrowind I think, I got it out of my system.

Docetic Mountain
Jul 5, 2012

FlocksOfMice posted:

https://imgur.com/a/VrTCW2h

extremely early wip shots but that's the basic sort of feel i need to find some more pieces to use for variety's sake but it's a start

turning it off when i'm done testing and going back to normal vivec is so depressing now i've goblin marketed myself i can't go back to a bland vivec i'm compelled to finish this

Why is the khajiit wearing the Morag Tong shirt tho?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Docetic Mountain posted:

presumably because it's a souvenir shop that sells trash to westerners

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Docetic Mountain posted:

Is that 100% a morag tong shirt? I know it follows the original concept art for it, but I don't remember many morag tong wearing it exclusively. There's definitely several merchants that sell it willy-nilly in vanilla. TBH he's wearing it because I dragged a random common_shirt_0x onto him.

It's not terribly out of place for some foreigners to be wearing inappropriate clothing either but I'll keep that in mind on my next clean-up pass through.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

FlocksOfMice posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/48834?tab=description

I'm shoving this out the door. I hope, someday, someone does a version of this that shames mine greatly, but right now, there's been nothing to make the waistworks not a horrible boring ugly mass of empty corridors. This at least makes the waistworks less miserable. Also adds in some shortcuts. I'm free of my compulsion to mod morrowind I think, I got it out of my system.

bless you muth'sera

what's your choice between all the compatible spice-up-vivec mods?

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Wow, it's mostly only assassins wearing it apparently. I'm giving him something more appropriate then. It's changed and up.

Doc Hawkins posted:

bless you muth'sera

what's your choice between all the compatible spice-up-vivec mods?

I run with Vivec Expansion 3.0 (adds docks, shantytowns, and several quests), Dramatic Vivec (adds great decorations all over), Concept Art Palace (makes the palace impressive), Vivec Mages Guild Expansion (see name), Illuminated Palace of Vivec (adds candles along the stairs to the palace), RR Vivec Statue replacer (improves the statues), and until someone makes something better, my Vivec Waistworks Expansion.

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 17, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

no open cantons? :(

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
No-Frills Open Canton, the one without the moved FQ plaza, is my choice for open cantons. My mod's compatible with it.

Rethinking Vivec merges the foreign quarter waistworks, which is neat, but doesn't add anything else to them, and it isn't compatible with Dramatic Vivec, Vivec Expansion, and a bunch of mods that add like NPCs into Vivec either, so Rethinking Vivec is very much a "if you use this, this is your one single Vivec mod" kind of deal, and I don't think it does enough to justify being the only Vivec mod you run. My mod's not compatible with it, but most Vivec mods aren't compatible with it.

My favorite open canton mod is Piratelord's, which is long-dead and abandoned, but god it was the best.

That sucker just went "Open plazas? Nah, open EVERYTHING" and shoved every room out there as a stand-alone building. But, piratelord's out of the community as far as I know, and this isn't compatible with nearly anything that came out in the past decade that affects Vivec. It's kind of bland looking these days wrt decorations, and it does the cardinal sin of reusing vanilla statue assets all over the place, but nothing ever made Vivec feel as good as this mod. I keep wanting to go back to using it, but having to make it cooperate with all the other Vivec-affecting mods, not even Dramatic Vivec but basic stuff that add NPCs to Vivec, would be way much a hassle, to say nothing of the difficulty of getting permission to release an updated version of it from someone who last I saw wasn't active anymore.

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 17, 2020

Docetic Mountain
Jul 5, 2012

FlocksOfMice posted:

Wow, it's mostly only assassins wearing it apparently.

Fun fact: the red gem on the morag tong shirt says ""I am your death" on it in daedric assuming yr using the original textures, or a good enough AI upscale. It's near impossible to see in-game tho

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It says "I am our death" because there's no Y in the daedric font.

Also I think on some level "I am our death" makes it a little bit less teenage edgelord than "I am your death".

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I wish I could go back to five minutes ago and not know about this.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I wish I could go back to five minutes ago and not know about this.

Just imagine what you'll know five minutes from now!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Just imagine what you'll know five minutes from now!

Yeah... I'm gonna go to the loo and soon I'll know whether I managed to pee properly or just do a sad slightly painful trickle. Will update

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The OP is quite old now so I wanted to know what's the best way to play Morrowind with all the important mods, without spending hours installing and modding it?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

a7m2 posted:

The OP is quite old now so I wanted to know what's the best way to play Morrowind with all the important mods, without spending hours installing and modding it?

Hah, came here to ask exactly this; I do see the OP has been updated quite recently though (Aug 12), but I'm wondering how much of it is actually up to date and if there's a good "all in one" solution.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

My go to is as follows:

MGXE
AI Upscale texture pack
Morrowind Code Patch
Tamriel Rebuilt

This is my base install forever. I don’t do gameplay or leveling overhauls because I prefer default Morrowind.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

My go to is as follows:

MGXE
AI Upscale texture pack
Morrowind Code Patch
Tamriel Rebuilt

This is my base install forever. I don’t do gameplay or leveling overhauls because I prefer default Morrowind.

It's this, but add in "patch for purists" and "speed and stamina tweaked", and cut TR if you dont want that

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
imagine not running so many mods you have to constantly merge them just to be able to fit them all and you have to use the "ori" command to figure out where anything came from because you forgot what you had installed at this point

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Edmond Dantes posted:

Hah, came here to ask exactly this; I do see the OP has been updated quite recently though (Aug 12), but I'm wondering how much of it is actually up to date and if there's a good "all in one" solution.

There used to be an all-in-one solution, but it wasn't very good and quickly got outdated. Then the website ended up turning into malware.

The OP should be mostly up-to-date, apart from some of the goon-made mods that have been posted the last few pages. I'll put those up when I'm not super busy. Otherwise, the basics posted above should be fine for minimal modding.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1308833638935650311

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

FlocksOfMice posted:

No-Frills Open Canton, the one without the moved FQ plaza, is my choice for open cantons. My mod's compatible with it.

Rethinking Vivec merges the foreign quarter waistworks, which is neat, but doesn't add anything else to them, and it isn't compatible with Dramatic Vivec, Vivec Expansion, and a bunch of mods that add like NPCs into Vivec either, so Rethinking Vivec is very much a "if you use this, this is your one single Vivec mod" kind of deal, and I don't think it does enough to justify being the only Vivec mod you run. My mod's not compatible with it, but most Vivec mods aren't compatible with it.
Yeah, I noted the lack of compatibility explicitely in the Nexus page too. I made it for myself and I will make patches and such for the mods I want to use.
I do add some stuff to the Foreign Quarter with the Briricca Bank branch.

The ultimate goal of Rethinking Vivec was to be a basis for Rethinking Suran, which would move the content of Suran to Vivec and turn it into a bigger plantation. I really don't like Suran, conceptually.

Since your permissions permit it, I'm going to steal some of Vivec Waistworks Expansion for future versions. Ripping off other people helps my develpoment process a lot!

quote:

My favorite open canton mod is Piratelord's, which is long-dead and abandoned, but god it was the best.
It was very cool, agreed, but sort of impractical.
What really annoyed me is that he used Hlaalu pieces as entryways and stairs. I sent him a fix with edited meshes (and a bit of a clean up with the cells), but he did nothing with it. And now he is awol. :(

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Atrayonis posted:

Since your permissions permit it, I'm going to steal some of Vivec Waistworks Expansion for future versions. Ripping off other people helps my develpoment process a lot!

Absolutely, please. I really only made the waistworks mod as a stop-gap because there was nothing else really blowing out the waistworks in a way that felt right to me, and it was very much a reluctant case of "no one else is doing this, I'm gonna have to do it." I'm eager for it to be deprecated by something more encompassing.

That's a neat idea about gutting Suran and stuffing it into Vivec, tbh. I always loved Suran, but after the first visit or two, there's never really any reason to return. It has almost as many shops as Balmora, and plenty of flavor, in a place that's barely accessible and with no real quest launch-points.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

With the plantation and Twin Lamps mods you end up there quite a bit. Still not much to do in the actual town though, just it's outskirts.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Yeah, I only really went there in my most recent playthrough for Twin Lamps stuff. It's a shame, because Suran seems like it'd be perfect for a thieves guild questline

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Suran is essentially just shops and a plantation (and a temple). An (at best!) 13 year old boom town in a location with no real reason for a boom town to form.

FlocksOfMice posted:

Absolutely, please. I really only made the waistworks mod as a stop-gap because there was nothing else really blowing out the waistworks in a way that felt right to me, and it was very much a reluctant case of "no one else is doing this, I'm gonna have to do it." I'm eager for it to be deprecated by something more encompassing.
Noted and thank you.

I can agree with that sentiment - it was one of the reasons why I ended up releasing Rethinking Vivec after dithing for years. Nobody placed a docks where they seem to slot naturally. Nobody really thought about adding more doors to the inside, instead simply adding more cruft on top (or having total redos, or clinging desperately to unworkable concept art).

So, if people don't want to do things right, then what Morrowind needs seems to be hard Goons making hard decisions (tm).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Atrayonis posted:

Suran is essentially just shops and a plantation (and a temple). An (at best!) 13 year old boom town in a location with no real reason for a boom town to form.

The only strip club in all of Vvardenfell is not reason enough for you?

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

Cat Mattress posted:

The only strip club in all of Vvardenfell is not reason enough for you?
Vivec, Foreign Quarter can host that as well.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I agree that Suran feels out of place. It feels like Balmora without the charm, but that may just be because the average player won't spend much time there. What it does have is nice but not enough to base a city off--the only strip club with a few related quests, a temple that does nothing, and a Hlaalu noble with a few minor quest connections.

Any Suran mod needs more than anything else to provide a justification for why Suran exists. Maybe it's the agricultural hub for all the nearby plantations and therefore gets a thriving grain / equipment / ?slave market? Maybe some major guild established its headquarters there?

Compare Suran as a smaller secondary hub to other secondary hubs in the game. Pelagiad is clearly established as a halfway point between Balmora and the coastal cities, is described as a legion colony, and has an Imperial fort. Gnisis also has an Imperial fort plus an egg mine, a major pilgrimage site at the temple, and a crazed Telvanni wizard.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Morrowind is good.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Suran is a stop-point for one of the Four Corners pilgrimages, but those are high level pilgramages that aren't really given to the average Temple layperson, so it being a boom town is weird. The recent batch of Suran mods combined with White Suran does give it a very unique, very pleasant feel, and I was half-tempted to move in, but no access to a teleport network or high quality vendors made Sadrith Mora my default choice, again.

Like, tiny towns like Ald Velothi and Maar Gan at least have things you stop through several times. You pass through Maar Gan if you're walking to the ashlands. Ald Velothi is a gateway to Solstheim. If you're doing anything up north, Dagon Fel is your nearest recovery point. Suran's close enough to Vivec and Molag Mar that if I needed something from nearby, I'd just go to one of the big cities and leave Suran aside anyway.

It does have a slave market, and if you use Fligg's Slave Mod, you can, at least, collect slaves from caves and sell them there for a bunch of money. I bumbled into one cave on a whim and came out with five slaves, at several hundred drakes each. Very nice profit margins!

I think what Morrowind'd benefit a lot from is: they have a lot of tiny, flavor shops with nothing useful for the player in them. I love that, Skyrim had none of that, I loved seeing a dozen pointless stores with nothing for YOU there but stuff for the NPCs. Ideally, though, every town and region should be selling something at least moderately unique or interesting, to make you go, "Well, I need X. Why don't I go down to Suran, the person there sells it."

Even if it's just, Suran's got pink pants, the only place that sells pink recolored pants, you want em you go there. I know in my last playthrough Caldera had easy access to that button-up red-and-black suit shirt and I kept going back there to pick those up for my Tel Uvirith tower staff.

But making unique assets for every town is hard. In the waistworks mod I tried to give at least a few things unique to Vivec to give myself a reason to go back there. I hit up the Telvanni atronach for frost salts and comberries and those emergency magicka scrolls, still. Having a dedicated skooma buyer in FQ means I pop in there once in a while to do drug business.

But I can't count how many times in this playthrough I go through the shops of a town, open up the trade menu, and go, "Well, nothing special there," and close it out. I get so excited in Tamriel Rebuilt lands when a random shop even just has a recolor of an existing shirt model. If more towns just had tiny things like that, they'd all become a lot more justified for the player to visit, at least. But! Again! A lot of work.

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 26, 2020

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Grand Fromage posted:

Morrowind is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Suran's a mid-way point on the river between Marandus and Vivec? I guess?