Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There was a mod where at level up every stat had a +3 modifier, so you didn't have to worry quite as much about which skills you leveled up, but I can't remember what it was called, seemed like a good compromise between GSD and the normal system. At the very least you wouldn't need an excel spreadsheet any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OregonDonor posted:

Is there a way to substitute a minor skill for a miscellaneous one? I ask because I chose a Breton wizard with unarmored, and I just realized that, when maxed, unarmored gives what, like a 65 armor rating?

If there's not a way, I'll probably just make it work, but I forgot how weak that skill was.

There's several mods that change how unarmored work, one tacks on a sanctuary bonus, so that when maxed you have a sanctuary of 50, so half the attacks miss you.

Otherwise you can just build up an armor skill, it won't count for level ups, but otherwise doesn't matter.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

What Fun posted:

Wow, over 90 hours later and I finally just did the Main Quest because I was steamrolling everything and had 100 in every Attribute except Luck. I want to play it again sometime, because I didn't do any of the "expansion" content, plus I want to play the rest of the guilds. I enjoyed it thoroughly up until the end!

I'm really glad I got to experience the full game, finally. Thank you Morrowind Megapack Thread!

One thing I found a bit weird, was that as a spellsword-type character, my mana maxed out at 200 naturally(+50 with Trebonius' ring). This seems low, considering I could buy premade spells that cost more then that. Did I do something wrong, or is the reason I had 100K gold is that I should have been enchanting another ring with +25 Int?

It's really hard to make magic type characters without either the Atronach or Apprentice birth signs because you never have enough magica.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Not knowing where the directions people give you is fixed somewhat by the better journal in Tribunal. It's still not great, but it gets the job done. Plus the UESP wiki is amazingly detailed as long as you're just trying to find stuff in the base game, obviously mods change a lot of things. If you see it on sale on Steam or something, I'd say give it another shot, and if you get stuck, ask this thread for help.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Avocados posted:

Is there an easier way to train pick-pocketing? I'm still rather new to this installment and the quicksaving/loading technique isn't exactly the most efficient considering how little i'm actually successful.

It's the sneak skill, so you can sneak through dungeons and poo poo too, or find a trainer. http://uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Sneak

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rap Music and Dope posted:

What's the quickest way to break the game? I've seen the speedrun video and I get how alchemy is broken but aside from all that stuff. What's a good way to get mad cash? IIRC you need golden saint soul gems to perma enchant, where do I grab these easy? How do I manipulate custom spell building?

Go to the Mages guild in Wolverine Hall, one of the people there sells infinitely restocking ingredients to make restore fatigue potions, spend most of your money on that, make as many potions as you can. Then go to the Creeper and sell them all, take the money back to Wolverine hall and repeat. Whenever the Creeper runs out of money, just wait 24 hours.

Edit:If you buy a stack of something the merchant restocks, then exit out of dialogue, then enter dialogue again and sell it back, they'll restock the larger amount.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 6, 2013

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

You can always use alchemy to give yourself ludicrous personality.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

My next playthrough will just be with a collection of the most perverse, obscene and ridiculous mods I can find all thrown together.

There's a decent number of hosed up mods for Morrowind, but it doesn't approach the heights of Oblivion, Fallout and Skyrim. So if you want an open world with a bunch of hosed poo poo going on, I'd go with one of those instead.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hog Inspector posted:

Geez fortify skill would be the most broken power if it existed in a Morrowind without alchemy. Things you can do with custom fortify skill spells:

• Raise literally anyone's disposition to 100 for free with 'fortify persuasion 200 for 2 seconds'
  • Get ridiculous deals with a mercantile version
  • Cast any spell in the game with 'fortify [spell skill] 100 for 5 seconds', or just cast a more powerful fortify skill spell for recursive buffing
  • Easily train up any weapon skill (or block) from 5 for free using 'fortify [weapon skill] 40 for 30 seconds' (weapon skills still level at the base rate)
  • Pickpocket anyone using chameleon and fortify sneak 200 for 3 seconds
  • Punch people into the ground with 'fortify hand-to-hand' for 10 seconds

The only limiting factor is you need pretty good restoration, around 50+. Restoration is pretty easy to train up though.

Isn't fortify skill not available until the end of Tribunal?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gobblecoque posted:

I'm not sure of the best place to find it, but I know there is at least one merchant with that effect in the Nord village in Solstheim.

Okay, that's still supposed to be late game material though. I kinda want to make a beeline for it next time I play, not for anything particularly abusive, just an amulet that duplicates the jump scrolls.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

graynull posted:

I have not played this game in about 10 years and remember very little about it, so I'm going to do a mostly vanilla attempt. One thing I did want to change was being able to toggle sneak instead of having to hold Ctrl to sneak. Is there a quick and easy way to mod/fix that? I looked on the Nexus and there was a mod that had some wonky dependencies and wasn't looking to be very well received.

The Morrowind Code Patch has a toggle sneak option, and even if you're trying to keep it vanilla, you should probably be using MCP anyways.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I don't want to read it I want you to tell me. It doesn't tell me in the first five seconds on the front page. It gives me a lovely list of problems with, whatever it is.

Die in a river.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

If you can't poison your weapons in Morrowind like in Oblivion and Skyrim, the fucks the point of alchemy? If I want to play a Morag Tong assassin (and I'm starting to regret a stealthy character in MW), I want my opener to be a stealth arrow tipped with poison followed by some enchanted dagger play, but I can't poison weapons.

Ahahaha, Alchemy is for breaking the game like it was twig, not something so petty as "poison." If you want to use alchemy your opening blow should kill someone on the first hit, then you can jump a nautical mile away.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Stuporstar posted:

I've just released a couple mods with minor game improvements:

Mesh Improvements Optimized is a vanilla-style mesh replacer for a few misc items and cushions. It's the kind of thing I'm gradually going to build on as I make more meshes, so it doesn't cover everything yet. I'm out to redo all the misc stuff that current replacers have done a terrible job of smoothing.

Quest Tweaks and Alternatives is a mod I made to address the lack of choice (or sometimes logic) in the original quests. I'm nowhere near done yet, mostly having focused on the Telvanni/Mages Guild conflict because those are the quests I'm most familiar with, but I intend to expand it to almost everything, save the main quest. It doesn't remove any options, it just adds more and makes some tweaks to a few lovely quest rewards. The readme contains a complete list of everything I've done, if you don't like surprises, but it's not meant to be a major overhaul, just a fleshing out of existing content.
if you're looking for suggestions on places to work on for the second mod, more ways to complete this quest when you're a member of both the Fighter's and Thieves guild would be welcome.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

kazr posted:

And on this note anyone know a good mod that increases skill leveling time?

From the first page BTB, Super Adventurers, GCD and MADD leveler all have compenents that affect leveling, you could try digging around in those to get want you want. Don't know of one that straight up just makes it take longer, but Super Adventurers has pretty good documentation on what changes it makes and how to tweak those yourself, so would probably be the easiest to reverse engineer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

Seriously, why is this game so much fun? I think I've been Nerevarine about 5 or 6 times in my life already but I still enjoy doing these quests, even though I've basically memorized what to do. I don't feel very compelled to install Tamriel Rebuilt, partly because I'm afraid that it'll feel like fanfic, and partly because I kind of enjoy the parts of the game I remember best the most.

I honestly think it has the best world building of almost any RPG ever made, but doesn't shove it in your face. Also the quick start helps a lot. Oblivion, Skyrim and even loving Daggerfall make you put up with a lot more bullshit before you can really start to explore the world. Morrowind just has the annoyong walk through the boat that is easily modded out, loot everything that isn't in line of sight from the census bureau, then you can gently caress off and do whatever the hell you want. All the other ones have a tutorial dungeon and aside from Daggerfall some extra bullshit too before you can dig into the openness of the games (I haven't played Arena).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

I recently reinstalled Morrowind with MGSO3 to see if I could finally get into it; got out of Seyda Neen, stabbed some dudes in a cave and made it to the Imperial Fort a ways down the road.

I have to be honest, the walking/running speed is killing me, and every time I run it seems I end up running (no pun intended) into enemies right as my stamina hits 0 and then I'm (more) useless in combat. Will I destroy my ~vanilla experience~ if I cram a "walk faster" mod in there? Because it's seriously zapping my will to keep playing.

Nah, definitely go for it, and like the other guy said, get one of the "go faster" mods that makes it so running doesn't damage stamina, because that's a huge pain in the rear end. Or use the alchemy tricky to have infinite restore stamina potions.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kenzie posted:

Those race bonuses really have that much of an effect? Maybe I can be a magical lizard then. They seem to get bonuses to that.

Actually what really hurts you (especially in the long term) is the lack of bonus magicka, You might give it a try with the Atronach or an Apprentice birth signs. Even if you aren't using any mods, you should definitely get the Morrowind Code Patch though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

Who else always steals a cool Raiden from Mortal Kombat hat off the gondalamen in vivec?

I wouldn't call it stealing, because I kill him first, but yeah.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

kazr posted:

And ultimately nothing can fix those clunky rear end animations anyway.

Depending on your definition of "fixed"
http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43129/

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

armoredgorilla posted:

Well now I just have to find out how to unpack every texture in Dark Souls and do the same thing he did.

There's probably instructions online.
God knows there's a ton of texture replacers out there for the game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mortimer posted:

he sounds (some kind of scottish or irish or english) as hell

good on you though for making rad stuff though

That's definitely some sort of English, not good enough on accents to get more specific, but it sure as gently caress isn't Irish or Scottish.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Am I the only person that has made enough characters to be so lazy as to just set my speed to 250 and not even bother doing the boots run? Its just an extra 5 min of walking and a few gold to get a resist spell/make a 1 s resist magic spell vs not doing that and opening the console. Its busy work in a way that getting the amulet of shadows isn't. At least that can be an annoying fight if you don't remember exactly where the invisible lady is.

I don't want to run that fast most of the time, and I think it's a fun gimmick. It helps that Morrowind is dense enough that if you walk for 5 minutes in any direction there's something to do. My main form of console cheating is just typing "COC [whatever city I want to be in]."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

I'm happy to walk to the fast travel, but I just don't want to do it at a snails pace. We all have our pet peeves.

I do think it's interesting what some people think is cheating and some don't. It's been awhile since I've actually played Morrowind, but I do remember my mod list always included higher weight limits, faster walking (though not to the extant you're talking), running without fatigue loss, and some type of magicka regeneration if I was planning on playing a mage. And then my first step would be to abuse mechanics for an hour to pump stats and gain gold, but the idea of just using the console to get there seems completely abhorrent to me and I couldn't tell you why.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

raminasi posted:

It's a 40% mana increase for a 10% damage increase. I dunno, my early/mid-game mages always have problems with damage per mana point, not damage per second, so I never get that perk.

For damage things isn't a big part of it is getting more than twice the damage out in the same amount of time? So then they die quicker and don't have enough time to kill you, like double firestream does a poo poo ton more damage over 3 seconds than firestream in one one hand.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

kazr posted:

any recommendations on an alternate start mod?

Quick searching led me to this mod which combines an alternate start mod I used to use and loved (the front bit about 18 different start locations) and one I never used that let's you shuffle around stats and equipment. It seems like the state mod bit is entirely optional so you can ignore it if you want to, so I'd say try that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

i used to think so but from that video it seems like he just kinda checked out for oblivion. he was working weekends on morrowind because he really liked it.

kingdoms of amalur is pretty lol though, that was doomed from the start

I remember there was a thread for some other RPG years ago and one guy kept popping in to just say "wow Kingdom of Amular looks amazing"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Wait that math doesn't really make sense--I understand the ideas of profit and revenue, but it seems like Bethesda made a lot more than $60 million on a AAA giant like Skyrim, unless the median price was like $5/unit.

It might be minus development and marketing costs and the money retailers take from the game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Damage also changes for weapons depending on how you were moving when you first held down the attack button (though there's a toggle in the base game to always use the best attack, can't remember if it was on or off by default).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

So how did this system work? Is there an always-best direction to move as you start to hold the button down that's different for every weapon or is it always one particular best direction?

You did an overhand slash if you were standing still or moving diagonally, a sideways chop if you were moving side to side and a thrust if you were moving forward, don't remember which types of damage were best with which weapons aside from spears being completely useless with anything other than thrust. I think it was a legacy from Daggerfall that they realized was more annoying than useful or fun so they put the toggle in because they'd already made the animations and didn't want them to go completely to waste.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Morrowind Gold Edition goes by Morrowind 2 now, if anyone was curious. And as per the creator

quote:

Morrowind 2 was never a ‘joke mod’ like many seem to interpret it as, but I can’t expect everyone in the world to have an appreciation for the lore of Tamriel. The events depicted in the game are canon, whether you agree or disagree

https://morrowind-2.tumblr.com/

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't like Better Heads or Better Bodies at all, I way prefer the originals.

It's weird how standards change. When Morrowind first came out I thought "I can't believe how amazing the faces are." Then Better Heads and Better Bodies eventually became completely necessary, but now I'm sorta in your camp again.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Stumiester posted:

"Imperial cult", but "join imperial cult" isn't an option.
Try these people.
http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Imperial_Cult#Joining_the_Imperial_Cult

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lampsacus posted:

Just thinking about randomly generated quests, does Morrowind do them?
I suppose there would at least be a mod that does. I'm really into them for some reason. Something about a world where I can quest forever, it feels alive? I'm a big fan of the earlier ES games mostly because of their endless quests. Skyrim is super bad at them because a lot of their bounties cap at like 500 gold.

The loot in some places, some monster spawns and maybe the invetory of some merchants are the only randomness I know of in base Morrowind, aside from whether or not a skill works.

Edit: there's a mod for Skyrim that will scale payment for bounties based on your level, so if that's the only thing keeping you from playing it forever. Morrowind doesn't have randomly generated quests.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 14, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Node posted:

Whatever mod that is from needs to be deleted from the internet and every medium of storage in existence. It cannot be allowed to exist.

Nah, they should include it with every Morrowind installation like that U2 album that no one wanted on their iPhone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Poniard posted:

Every time I join the Telvanni I end up systematically murdering all of them so I'm the only one left.

I think that's what most of them were planning to do anyways, so you're good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Upmarket Mango posted:

I'm having a blast with my unarmed Redguard monk character. I can't believe it's taken me this long to try hand to hand combat. Combat overall takes longer to resolve but I'm able to jump in and start stunlocking n'wahs immediately. My unarmed skill went from 35 to 40 fighting just the very first rat I came across outside Sedya Neen. Pretty quickly after starting I came into possession of the Northern Belt of Knuck Knuck, which has a "damage fatigue 3-120 points on touch" enchantment and as you can imagine that's just perfect for my character. Combined with the Adrenaline Rush racial ability and a bottle of Mazte, my Strength, Agility, & Endurance get boosted to over 100 and then not much can stand up to my dude at that point, and he's only level 5 so far. Preaching to the choir here but Morrowind rules.

e: Are there any good clothing mods for whats essentially a wandering Shaolin monk?
If you've got the Morrowind Code patch there's not a ton of must have mods, because most of them were centered around avoiding the bug where the Unarmored skill only worked if you were wearing at least one piece of armor, which the MCP fixes.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 19, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Grinning Goblin posted:

If you just drop enough poo poo onto the ground in any interior, you will eventually get an overflow loot bag that can just hold everything

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Overflow_Loot_Bag

poo poo, learn something new everyday. I only played on PC and was never that into decorating so it's not surprising that never came up for me, but still neat.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vavrek posted:

I'm obviously insane and think Morrowind's is the best of the three, so help me out: what are you looking for in a UI? What sort of things make a UI friendly to you?

The Morrowind UI has some issues but it's way better than the consolfied UIs in the later games, though if he was running mods he probably wasn't using the vanilla UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SwissCM posted:

My favourite Elder Scrolls UI is, weirdly, the XBOX version of Morrowind's. It let you do stuff real quick, dragging icons around can get tedious.

I meant the UI's in Oblivion and Skyrim were specifically made for consoles. I never played the Xbox version of Morrowind, but isn't it essentially the same as PC?