Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

AceSnyp3r posted:

Hey guys, I got my Morrowind looking nice and pretty, but I noticed one minor issue:

See how there's like a black outline of the tree models that's visible through the ground/other trees? It goes away when it stops raining. Wondering if anyone else has seen it before.

Also, anyone know a good mod to reduce/remove cliff racers? The ones I found on Nexus have a lot of comments saying they don't work.

I'm going to wager you're running MGEXE either on its own or as a part of MGSO. 90% of the time its a shader problem, try disabling shaders entirely and reenabling them one at a time. If that doesn't work the problem may be a bit more difficult to diagnose.

also http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=5289 works for cliff racer extinction, but the pacifism mod is generally more lore-friendly and less-intrusive into leveled lists (it's really only one variable changed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

It's looking like OpenMW is going to be finished before TR, as if that were any surprise. TR takes forever because people like me make a showcase, get on the TR team, look at what's left, and get burnt out almost instantly.

I would recommend people update to the newest version of TR (remember to get the newest TR_data.esm and bsa), TR_Mainland if only to get the thousands of fixes and balancing that was done. I went through every line of dialogue and fixed hundreds of typos for that release. Yes it breaks old mods using TR's old naming scheme, but if you make blank .esm's named TR_Map1, 2, etc it won't have any errors. (I put some up on mediafire a year ago, I can find it if people would want it)

There's also the nifty TR_Map4 alpha that was posted years ago if you want a chunk of exteriors to jump around I can find. Almalexia exteriors are finished, interiors are 90% done, and NPCs/quests will take another few weeks/months at best. I'd post a goon-only beta if I didn't respect the guys so much, but I can take screenshots of anything in TR you might want. Blacklight especially looks incredible, but won't be released for years.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Are you sure about this? I've never heard of a way under the Ghostfence other than Kogoruhn and I can't find anything with Google or on any wikis.

Left is talking about Kogoruhn, another way in besides glitching through the gate or jumping over doesn't exist in the vanilla game.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Extra posted:

Get this mod why are you not playing this mod it is amazing and made by the same guy who did Blackreach Railroad for skyrim.

But uh in all seriousness some person spent way too much time intricately creating a crazy clockwork city with a ton of moving parts and environments and a ton of stuff to explore in an underground steam fortress. 2013 and people are still making insane content for this game.

More like Blackreach Railroad is made by the guy who made SSE. Trainwiz is nuts though, last I heard he was making his own arcanum-style RPG. Anything he makes oozes quality, even his super old MW mod I can't remember the name of right now, but it was also a steampunk kind of mod (main city was named Omnicron), does anyone know what it was called? edit: this was it http://morrowind.nexusmods.com/mods/34725/

Kea posted:

Just done installing a whole bunch of mods to basic morrowind and I'm stuck, I remember last time i played through I had mods that expanded the cities but I cant for the life of me remember what they were, anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? I seem to remember Balmora, Seyda Neen etc all had more buildings.

There's a few out there, every modder seems to make a stab at expanding one of those two cities. Morrowind Rebirth I think was the name of the one that redid every city on the land. If you're not using a rebalance mod it's worth checking out, as it only adds fairly lore-friendly things, while fixing landscape seams and making cities more coherently laid-out. There was also a Balmora community mod that stuck everyone's buildings into one massive expansion that varied in quality from "wat ar you doin here" to topless metal bikini shopkeepers.

mbt fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 4, 2013

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

Morrowind Rebirth, sadly, has no grass.

How can a man live without modded grass? :negative:

Someone on the bethsoft forums did a partial grassing of it a while back.

But yeah I see your point. The grass tool isn't too hard, I could give it a go.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Dr Snofeld posted:

I'm getting that Morrowind itch again but by GOD there's so many mods and mod packs nowadays I don't know where to start. Post your mod lists or mod packs, folks.

The first post is a good place to start. The two categories are basically "MGSO" and "Everything else"

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

quote:

There's two ways into Red Mountain besides Ghostgate

quote:

another way in besides glitching through the gate or jumping over doesn't exist
Glitching through the ghostfence, not gate, but I thought that was pretty clear.

quote:

But you can't do that until the right point in the main quest. We're talking about ways to get in early.
You can walk into Dagoth Ur at level one with zero quests completed. In fact, the first temple quest requires you go to through ghostgate.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

Does anyone know a good "random bandit generation" mod? Like, in normal Morrowind you basically have the named caves with unique bandits, but outside of that it is :sigh: cliffracers. Ive found some mods, like MCA, but they have dumb requirements (must install my favorite dumb head pack) or random NPCs have hosed up leveled lists so you can be level 1 and meet NPCs who are in glass. I just really want to be able to battle it out with bandits in netch and chitin :(

http://mw.modhistory.com/download-90-13583

maybe this?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Rap Music and Dope posted:

If I install a new mod am I still able to play a load file or do I have to make a new character every time I install a mod?

You can install 99% of mods at any time in your playthrough, its removing them mid-way through that can cause problems.

quote:

How do I install mods anyway?
Oh wow there's a big one. Well. It depends on what you want to add in, really. Googling someones verbose description would probably be best, as "How do I install morrowind mods" pulls up a thousand pages. If it's something simple that doesn't affect other mods or leveled lists (most things like weapons/armor/land don't), put all assets from the mod .zip (textures, meshes, and the .esp file) into your morrowind\data files folder, merging your existing meshes and textures folders with the mod's. Then click on morrowind launcher.exe or whatever it's called now and make sure the mod you want is checked. Then you're good to go.

quote:

I'm also having framerate issues outdoors. I went through the OP but couldn't really figure it out. Any easy things I can do to help this? Like do the in game options matter?

Use the MGEXE.exe in your morrowind folder and tweak the settings there. Simple things like reducing draw distance can help a ton. MGSO also has a low option you can use if you just want to automate the process.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Trivialize is a strong word for what amounts to just a few instances of it actually mattering.

Morrowind isn't like New Vegas, with hundreds of speech checks that allow you to completely avoid battle. Instead it ends up saving you hundreds or thousands of gold on bribery (unless you murder them afterwards).

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

The game offers no hints, no journal entries, no notes lying around, or anything else to tell you even an inkling of what to do.

I'LL BET SKYRIM WAS YOUR FIRST TES GAME

I'm joking, but yeah it's like that. Trainwiz's previous MW mod was made for normal user enjoyment, SSE was made the way he thought it actually would be. No random "helpful notes" just conveniently scattered for you to read.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

He doesn't really give any direction at all, though, and that's just plain bad design. It's not "hardcore" or "a challenge" when the player has no clue what to do.

That's just it though, he didn't design the place to be like a game. He designed it to be like he thought it actually would be.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

load order
MGEXE settings
load order
corrupted files
load order

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Upmarket Mango posted:

Alright, I've narrowed it down to MGE-XE. Disabling allows the game to load as it should. So now I gotta figure out what about MGE-XE is the problem.

Try running it in windowed mode

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Krowley posted:

Yeah they might've fixed that in the recent versions, but last time I was gonna play Morrowind you were explicitly told that you couldn't save your game outdoors or use quicksave at all.

Quicksave is still a bad idea

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

A goon (Hayt) put cliff racers into the game.

If you remove or pacify them you're a disgrace :colbert:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3565574&pagenumber=35&perpage=40#post419551996

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/General:Brian_Chapin

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mizuti posted:

I want to give this game a try, but I'm stumped at the first step. The given instructions for moving Morrowind to the C drive don't seem to make sense to me. The instructions tell you how to move all of Steam to the C drive, but not specific games. The end result wouldn't be "C:/Morrowind". What am I missing here?

You don't actually have your default steam directory under program files do you?

Oh noooo. That's okay. When you install morrowind (assuming you have zero morrowind files downloaded), you can select a directory. Ensure you have a secondary steam directory that isn't under program files.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pickled Foetus posted:

As the creator of Morrowind Comes Alive I feel I must apologise for this. The fact that I was the first person to put crudely animated sexual intercourse into a Bethesda RPG fills me with a deep sense of self-loathing. It really does.

How does it feel to have spawned more than dozens of offshoots across five games

also you're a monster why did you do that

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

tuluk posted:

People forget about Indoril/Ordinator armor. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Indoril_Armor#Indoril_Armor
...Just remember to take it off before teleporting into Vivec.

If I'm remembering correctly its only the helm/cuirass that trigger ordinator bounties.

Also the ebony mail is the best armor ever (the artifact, not the set).

Plus if you're cheap you can use Her Hand armor you get in Tribunal.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Come on you could have at least added the unfunny meme someone farted out for this occasion.

quote:

We have new magic effects. Those are related to the AI: calm, frenzy, rally, turn undead, demoralize as well as those related to attributes (damage, drain, restore) as well as paralyze, water walking, desintegrate, mark, recall, interventions. WOW. Because It was a while since the last internet mem on the OpenMW, here is the one:

It was a while since the last internet mem on the OpenMW.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Nilbog Resident posted:

Totally worth it. Now I just wish I could remember who sells torches because god drat.

Your settings menu sells torches, slide the barter bar all the way to the right with this guy called "Gamma"

Or Arrile/that khajiit in balmora you can rob of his whole stock

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Plus Uvirith's Legacy was made by a supercool goon Stuporstar, and it's rad as hell.

Combine it with Rise of House Telvanni if you really want to feel special.

And then go to TR's Telvanni and get treated like poo poo.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Game doesn't blame you for the death, but you don't get xp for it either.

It's a good thing this game doesn't have xp :smugbert:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Monopthalmus posted:

I'm playing Morrowind for the first time and have a quick question. I've opted to use MGSO and everything appears to be installed properly and running well. What I'm wondering how to install additional mods (like Uvirith's Legacy) without screwing everything up since MGSO is basically just a huge mod package right? Can I just install Wyre Mash and it will detect everything and I can go nuts from there or what?

Probably. There's a few stipulations for mods that you can add without worry of compatibility; things like exterior programs, excessive scripts, too much leveled list alteration, and plain "non-compatible with another mod in your list" - if it isn't one of those things you can add it. It's not like Skyrim where adding one script in could break everything, Morrowind is a bit simpler in that regard. And yes, Wrye Mash automatically detects installed mods, but unless you want to use mash installers it isn't a platform you install new mods from. It's more of a "sanity test" for finding missing files and creating a merged leveled list file (which you should definitely do).

So yeah your answer is go nuts.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Skyrims combat is better than morrowinds but that isn't saying much. Compared with every other game it's balls (try the Witcher 2 then Skyrim again like I did, it'll make you sad).

As long as you pick a class/race meant for what you're going to do you shouldn't have problems in morrowind.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I've said this in various forms to internet nerds the past few years, but basically what Morrowind does right in an RPG sense is the separation from player-skill and character-skill. In a game like an FPS your character can't do anything, it is all player skill. Conversely in table-top games all you the player can do is decide what is done, your character's skill (and luck) determine the outcome. People who like Skyrim combat prefer the slider to the left, where the player's skill in kiting enemies around obstacles and timing blows determines a large part of the battle's outcome. Slightly more to the right is Morrowind, where even if you the player can click an enemy, if your character isn't good enough him/herself to land the blow, then it misses.

Magic works the same way, in Skyrim you have no spell failure, in Morrowind spell failure scales with character's skill.

In Skyrim if you're good at the lockpicking minigame (or savescum) you can pick any lock. In Morrowind there are many locks your character can't get through with low skill.

I don't mind Morrowind combat, but I can see why people don't like it. The only bad thing you can say is that the combat doesn't work, because it definitely does what they intended it to do. Not only that, it did it in a balanced way that minimizes player-abuse and prevents low level characters from doing what level one characters in Skyrim do (everything). Finally getting your agility/weapon skill to the point you hit 90%+ of the time is an amazing feeling.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

bobthedinosaur posted:

I'm running a steam version of the game, will any mods be added the same as before?

Yep, same as it ever was.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I wish someone made MCA/Starfire's for the newest TR. I was on the team during the Necrom release, and holy poo poo does that city feel barren. I expected NPC's to be added throughout the city, kinda like how Mecca has literally millions upon millions every day, but they went with the silent monastery vibe.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mizuti posted:

Anyways, I have a request: is there any mod that makes the quest journal easier to use? I'm assuming not or else it would be popular, but I have to ask. The default implementation is terrible: it vomits up entries by time updated, gives incomplete directions, sorts by vague quest names, and gives no clear indication when a quest is fully completed. I'm constantly having to open the UESP to see where the heck I'm going, or where this random jobber I met 10 hours ago is. Is there anything out there that makes it a little more user friendly?

The default implementation is fine. Only an extremely small fraction of directions are bad/wrong. A quest is fully complete when it is removed from your journal. If you're playing with the Tribunal expansion I have no idea where the complaint is. It's the newer TES games that make no sense. "Yeah here's the guy you want to talk to *fairy dust to put an arrow on his head*" Or, "Let me mark it on your map, because I am an expert in cartography and will never make mistakes".

If you want map markers just say that. And no that doesn't exist.

mbt fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 30, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ratjaculation posted:

MGSO seems to be missing pretty much everything in every step, is this normal?

Missing everything?

Also leave cliff racers alone. If you make them into timid lizard birds you won't understand the "gently caress cliff racers" opinion (really they're not that bad).

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Slugworth posted:

They really are that bad. They are drat near game ruining.

But I agree they should be experienced. Play with them for awhile, and then disable them.

Is this a joke? You don't see them enough for them to be game ruining. And they're not hard to kill other than their bad hitbox.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Rookersh posted:

So according to the Tamriel Rebuilt guys, we should see the next expansion later this year.

I'm curious how good they are at meeting deadlines like that? And how much it'd matter. To be honest, the only two Tamriel Rebuilt things I care about are more Telvanni ( because let's be real here, the Telvanni are the best ), and the outer city around Mournhold. It sounds like the next expansion will add the city around Mournhold, so I'm kind of thinking about waiting for that launch, especially since I've got so many other games to play right now. Do these things normally launch with quests alongside them, or are they kind of barren and filled in as they go? Would they even be able to make it so you could theoretically "walk" to Mournhold?

Hell, how is the current content added as a whole? Do they do a good job of adding in Morrowind flavor, or does it feel like a halfassed addition mod with bad VA?

Bad at meeting deadlines, Mournhold was supposed to be an alpha release in August 2013. Currently being NPC'd and quested, which is the most arduous and long parts. But its the part you definitely want to take your time on. You can't undo first impressions of the largest city that's ever been hand-created in any TES game. This should launch with quests, previously they would launch with landmass only and get filled later. Then they realized it doesn't make sense other than being pretty good eyecandy. With that release you could walk to mournhold. What the final decision is on getting into the gates I can't remember. Supposedly the consensus was the whole "plague" excuse of not leaving the city was poo poo and they'll un-retcon it so you can come and go as you please. And if not, I'll do it for them.

The flavor is as good as, if not better than OG morrowind in the latest release. The first map and a half (telvannis/andilluvian secrets) were made just so they could release SOMETHING a few years back. Once the map comes full circle they'll be redoing the first two maps to this higher quality.

Also: Project Cyrodiil should be releasing something shortly, and Skyrim: Home of the Nords has a weird alpha release with a few cells of towns/wilderness out there. I'm not sure why, but both sideprojects decided to start their mapping at the far west end, as far away from Morrowind as you can get. So for the maps to be able to walked to they basically have to finish. Supposedly that has to do with the TR exteriors guys being flakey on borders, but I haven't seen that. There's also two guys stupid enough to say they're mapping Black Marsh, but if that comes out with a complete map, or even a half finished map in the next decade I'll be impressed.

source: I worked on the team, did some quests, and handfixed thousands of dialogue errors for the latest release. pro tip: don't let bad english speakers write dialogue. It....tends...to turn out-- LIKE THIS

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

For some reason, it really bugs me when custom cities and landmasses stick out too much, even if it's because they look really good (when compared to the base game).

Even if it's Baan Malur (blacklight)?

Ash swamp south of Baan, it stretches for a long while and has tons of ruins and tiny shacks.

Unnamed island port north of Seyda Neen. TR is doing more outdoor/indoor hybrid spaces as seen on the left, which should be cool.

Pine trees that will absolutely murder FPS if not used in OpenMW. It renders every single unoptimized branch.

An island citadel in a lake near the Skyrim border.

Baan Malur itself, lots of stuff on the ground isn't shown as this is as far as my view distance will render without crashing. (OpenMW already can render all this I'm pretty sure).

Taking pic requests if anyone wants to see random TR content

mbt fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 2, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I don't know why Rebirth would do that, I'm running it too. IIRC the guy who made Rebirth hasn't touched much of red mountain, so you're probably safe.

http://imgur.com/a/LlCAP
16 more TR pictures with some explanations of what they are.

That Eiffel tower structure is just a guardpost near the ash swamp, I thought it was Silgrad Tower from far away, but they're making a custom tower mesh for that.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

No, TR recently released an 'external alpha' just to get people interested again, but Almalexia is the next official release and allegedly is due before the end of the year (an upgrade for Sacred East is due sooner than that).

Yeah except we've heard "by the end of the year" for the past decade. Almalexia has been built and rebuilt 3-4 times now to the level of detail you see now. Getting a dozen modders/writers to create a believable, interesting (it has to be both) city in a cohesive fashion is drat near impossible. Just like the exteriors for Almalexia it's going to be one person doing 99% of the work saying "gently caress everyone else". It turns out well, but takes forever.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cannot Find Server posted:

I always liked Dagoth Ur's character quite a bit. If you read all the in-game stuff about the Tribunal, he seems less like an evil overlord and more like a dude who got kinda suckered by other assholes. He's a lot more interesting than your standard video game evil mastermind person. Shame about how poo poo the final battle is.

Play it with GDR (darknuts greater dwemer ruins)

I don't even count the vanilla battle in my headcanon

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Yes, then be sure to disable the better heads esp

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Docetic Mountain posted:

Is there a way to uninstall Tamriel Rebuilt? I tried but all it does is make morrowind crash during the initial loading. I love it but it's making me lag and I know I won't explore it until it's properly finished anyway...

I can almost guarantee you TR itself is not making you crash. It's either something in your installation or another mod. Just because the game crashes when the loading bar says "loading TR_mainland" doesn't mean it's TR's fault. More than likely it's whatever is loading after it.

And I know the problems TR has gone through, I've stalked the secret forum archives and relished in that pointless nerd drama once I got in. Silgrad tower does kinda blow to be fair, I can see why haplo wanted nothing to do with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

No, I'm still near 100% sure that wasn't the case. TR doesn't have any intensive scripts, or really any scripts at all. It doesn't interact with the mainland other than a select few references. It was a problem in your installation or an error with other mods.

Did you remember to register the TR_data.bsa in your morrowind.ini file? Because I'm thinking that was your problem.

edit: that's another thing, TR mods for the old TR_Map1 TR_Map2 setup won't worth with the new version.

mbt fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 7, 2014