Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm really excited about OpenMW. Portable Morrowind on Android, anyone? :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Fuligin posted:

It seems kind of premature to make such a sweeping announcement when after what? Ten years? They've still only completed the landscaping of half of what they originally intended, and not finished the quests and interiors for even all of that. Unless I'm very out of touch, which is possible. I do get the impression that Morrowind's modding scene has been experiencing something of a renaissance since the release of Skyrim.

OpenMW's increasingly rapid progress has made a lot of people excited.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

This may look like nothing special... but it's actually a screenshot of OpenMW running on Android!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

AbsolutZeroGI posted:

I want this to be a thing so bad. I believe this is probably real but I would've loved to have seen some soft keys or a status bar or something. Would be excellent for tipping le Android blogs :D

It's in early stages at the moment. Interior cells run at 8fps and exterior cells barely render at all. OpenMW itself isn't quite working right yet either. It's almost feature complete but it's filled with bugs. Optimisation needs to be done too, it runs bad on my i5 4670k with a R9 280X. 14fps outside. All in due time though, they're making very quick progress.

Here's the forum link if you want it:
https://forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?p=25795#p25795

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

AbsolutZeroGI posted:

You rock sir (or madam, whatever you are). This is definitely very exciting.

I'm not responsible for it, just following the project closely.

Anyway I just took this screenshot of the Windows version, running with some of the new features OpenMW has

Take note of the realtime shadow system (which moves in time with the sun). The quality is actually far superior to Skyrim's shadows, being razor sharp up close. Also note the far view distance, which isn't even maxed out, though currently models aren't rendered beyond a certain point since it requires LOD/lower quality models to be created. It's an unofficial feature for the moment and requires editing the config file.

This is an entirely unmodded install, nothing but Morrowind GOTY datafiles.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbra,_penumbra_and_antumbra

Shadows aren't razor sharp in real life, which is why Skyrims look blurry :ssh:

They look blurry because the shadow map resolution is low. OpenMW could employ more advanced shadow shaders in the future to support more accurate shadows, but as they are now they're still technically superior to Skyrim's.

EDIT: The distance that Skyrim actually renders shadows is really poor too. Compare that to the screenshot where even the rock up on the mountain in the distance casts a reasonably sharp shadow.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 30, 2014

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Pumprag posted:

I only play videogames that have the most advanced shadowtech.

Yep :colbert:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Hog Inspector posted:

Has anyone found a good replacement for the incredibly wimpy male breton sound files?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwNb53uuSVc

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Just thought I'd write an update on OpenMW here. Note that I'm not affiliated with the team, I just follow the project pretty closely.

They recently switched 3D engines from Ogre to a newer, more modern one called OpenSceneGraph. This has massively improved performance, fixed scores of bugs that were unfixible like (new engine on the left, ogre on the right) non-uniform scaling, texture and lighting problems and other limitations inherited from Ogre and has pushed the OpenMW project closer than ever before to being a total replacement for the original game executable. OSG is far more scalable and efficient and comes with very useful performance profiling tools which has already revealed a whole host of bottlenecks that could be eliminated for better performance.

Distant land, water shaders and fancy shadow effects haven't been ported and the current Windows build has Z fighting issues. The OSG port was only made playable a few days ago, still, it's worth a go, I've been running around Balmora and everything seems to work just fine: Download here and full article here.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jun 9, 2015

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Hopefully OpenMW's release will reinvigorate development somewhat.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It already does.

Complete vanilla Morrowind compatibility is the goal for 1.0, but the aim is to be a general game engine for Bethesda-esque RPGs. Multiplayer is being considered and additional features are more than welcome.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cubey posted:

I can't decide if multiplayer Morrowind is the best or worst idea I have ever heard.

Co-op play through the single player campaign could be fun, though it'd require some extensive messing with the game scripts.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Stack pillows.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Mortimer posted:

TR works fine with OpenMW, OpenMW is just an engine that runs bethesda files. What they want to do is make completely original assets (new faces/walls/items/weapons) and make it so TR doesn't require morrowind assets to be run (I think you might have known/meant this I just wanted to be clear). Which is really really dumb because morrowind is cheap and no one would want to play the mainland without the island. Maybe they want to be able to sell it? Not likely.

It's to create a basic framework so people can use it as a basis for new games.

EDIT: Actually scrap that, misinterpreted what you said. What I was referring to is the OpenMW team working on a sort of "example game" that will run without any Bethesda/copyrighted assets.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 13, 2015

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Daggerfall has been free for a while.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The main problem with Deus Ex/Morrowind style UI's is that they fill the screen and require the game be paused in order to be useful. I always found the System Shock 2 interface to hit a good middle ground, the game runs in real time with it open and everything is pushed to the sides of the screen so your view is not obscured.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They didn't seem to learn the lesson from Skyrim where the first mod everyone installs is SkyUI because it makes the game about 300% better to play. Fallout 4 is the same old poo poo.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

How close is voice synthesis to happening in games? The new machine learning trained voice profiles from Google etc are remarkably good and can even emote a little, but I'm not sure how far they can push that yet.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Bethesda really needs to focus on making their engine and tools not be hot loving garbage. A total overhaul is required, in particular they need to get rid indoor/outdoor loading transitions (they have enough RAM now), redo their scripting so it isn't broken as gently caress and make everything easier to debug. It's a miracle their games turn out as well as they do if their construction kits are anything to go by.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

My favourite Elder Scrolls UI is, weirdly, the XBOX version of Morrowind's. It let you do stuff real quick, dragging icons around can get tedious.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I meant the UI's in Oblivion and Skyrim were specifically made for consoles. I never played the Xbox version of Morrowind, but isn't it essentially the same as PC?

They rejigged the UI to make more sense with a controller. It's tabbed instead of windowed and generally works quite differently despite the similar appearance.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Here's the most important question, is it significantly more difficult to make a giant tower of pillows you've stolen from every single house in Vvardenfell?

Not really.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I can't wait till OpenMW hits 1.0 so the real crazy poo poo starts happening.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Physics!

Voxel Terrain!

UI mods!

(Boob physics?)

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

MWSE is a glorified trainer, the whole point of OpenMW is to avoid the need for memory injection hacks.

MGE also has little relevance considering that it's an entirely different engine and most of what it hacks in can be done much more cleanly when you have access to source code.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Not that I'd give Toonami the benefit of the doubt for journalistic integrity, but that seems a bit too even handed to be an outright advertisment.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Node posted:

the king's field games are great, everyone should play them. especially 4, which was really well polished and doesn't run at 10 fps

I've had good results running the Kings Field games overclocked via emulation. PGXP works pretty well with it too. It almost completely changes how the game plays, though not necessarily in a bad way.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Oblivion is only fun if you mod the gently caress out of it and break everything.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

System Shock 1 is fully voiced acted and released in 1994! It's all logs instead of actual conversations though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

You can see the results aren't great with the carpet because there's so little detail to draw from. The quick and dirty way would be an AI upscale with something like stable diffusion before running it through Nvidia's PBR texture generator.

Is it confirmed not to work with more advanced renderers? Source is a forward renderer but portals are render to texture right? So how do rays innately know to move through them like they demonstrated? e: no, required fixed function D3D specifically. Makes me wonder where exactly the line is drawn and what games cross it. Vertex shaders?

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 23, 2022