Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I'm trying to hunt down 'vanilla friendly' texture packs and graphic improvements.

So far I have,

Connary Textures
Better Clothes & More Better Clothes
Better Bodies (not a fan but better clothes requires it)
Westley's Pluginless Head/Hair Replacer
Darknut's Creatures, Weapons, & Armor
StarWarsGuys Detailed Rugs & Tapestries
& Better Dieties

What I like about all these is that they pretty much just increase the resolution of Bethesda's original textures. Thinking of grabbing Canadian Ice's robe pack, but on the fence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Rebirth seems like one of those annoying "kitchen sink" mods that kind of came into fashion with Oblivion/Skyrim. I love the enhanced cities, makes me feel like a kid entering Balmora for the first time again. I stumbled across a massive dungeon/ancestral tomb wandering past Pelagiad with no idea what I was getting into or where I was going, and ended up running for my life from a lich with some great loot in hand that I snatched from under his nose. I love it!

But it also has a lot of unnecessary "balance" tweaks that don't make the game more balanced, just less fun, it has this stupid restocking thing, it has awkward tavern sit-down-people floating a foot away from their chairs and getting in my way, it has a bunch of other stuff I don't care about, and I have to have it because apparently these things should be part of the same mod as everything else. What's a modularity?

I really want to use it just for the expanded cities, but what you mentioned plus it conflicting with just about every mod that adds building/modifies the land... bleh

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

The Protagonist posted:

RE: What the deal TR?

I've extracted things in the places and order specified, I've run BSAreg and then manually added Archive (in this case 4)=TR_Data.bsa to my .ini file, I've resorted my load order and while the .esm files show up in the list, TR_Date.bsa doesn't and trying to approach the landmass leads to an endless list of missing assets and animations, confirm continuing to run morrowind (it will crash)? And it does.

It sounds like you don't have the BSA set up correctly in your ini. Double check it, there should already be a premade [Archives] spot near the end with Morrowind/Tribunal/Bloodmoon registered under it.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Moryrie posted:

Why not use this robe pack? Covers males too, less weird clipping.

This is exactly what I wanted, thank you!

edit: anyone know of a good lighting mod?

kazr fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 23, 2014

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Not sure if the person having the sound stutter then crash problem ever figured out but I ran into the exact same thing. I found an old dev post that says Morrowind does not like to play nicely with high latency sound. Googling my sound card and low latency lead me to some third party drivers that have the option to turn it on low and now it works fine.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Nektu posted:

Some questions:

Are the persistent storage containers somewhere? Or can I just drop poo poo and cme back to it later?
Do merchants change their inventory at some point? Or can I be sure that I can always buy back the stuff I sold them?

There are containers, but without looking in the construction set you can't really tell if it's going to reset and spawn items or just delete all your stuff. Generally if there's nothing in it to begin with then it's probably not going to reset but it's a risk to take. Best option is to download a house mod or create your own. As far as I know merchants will keep what you sell them but don't quote me on that.

Hlaalo Manor in Balmora has a body in it that never disappears unless you dispose of it and can hold infinite weight, plus the house is baller in its own right.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

MGSO is poo poo and you really shouldn't use it

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

GrumpyDoctor posted:

A bunch of ambient sound effects are resetting themselves to play at maximum volume (e.g. torches) on a regular basis. If I go into the audio options and move the "Effects" slider, they immediately revert to the correct volume. I see a Morrowind Code Patch option for maybe fixing this, but it doesn't work. Is there some other solution anyone knows of?

Try changing your sound options to be software accelerated instead of hardware accelerated.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

As long as you pick a weapon and an armor skill you would have to be doing something very very wrong to not reach demi god status by level 20.

My best advice is don't pick magic skills, mana sucks butt in Morrowind. Pick enchant and have a thousand and one benefits over any magic skill with almost no draw back.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

Crossposting from the wrong thread,

Is there any convenient way kicking around that lets me adjust skill gain rates in Morrowind without having to actually make a mod? Could stand to tweak a handful of things.

bad news son, time to fire up the cs. Good news is that it's incredibly easy

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

Crossposting from the wrong thread,

Is there any convenient way kicking around that lets me adjust skill gain rates in Morrowind without having to actually make a mod? Could stand to tweak a handful of things.

And on this note anyone know a good mod that increases skill leveling time?

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

I think at one point I had a mod just to add it to some random merchants inventory because I was sick of trying to stealth kill them every time I made a new game. Also who else rocks boiled netch leather in end game because its so goddamn cool looking?

A nice mix of glass and daedric aww yeah

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

seen any elves lately? hahhahahahahah

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

Oh god there is no quest markers, I have no idea where to go and I just got killed by a loving crab.

Welcome to the Telvanni party

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

If this is your first time playing Morrowind I truly envy you son. Push the lovely animations and the bad combat out of your mind and you're in for an awesome experience.

IMO do a little bit of the main quest while exploring the gently caress out of every cave/ruin/whatever you can, join a great house and do some of their quests along the way as well or gently caress it, it's Morrowind do whatever you want. Just don't forget to break the game backwards over your knee enough to skull gently caress it's head with its own rectum. Enjoy your stay.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

pick a weapon major/minor or you're gonna have a bad time

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

is it the consensus that morrowind rebirth sucks nuts?

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

Trying to balance everything out perfectly is a mistake anyway and it's why Oblivion was poo poo. I like it the way it is in Morrowind, medium armor is clearly inferior, that's why it's cool to wear it anyway. Same with the gondolier's hat and a plain black or brown robe instead of exquisite.

Started a new file the other day with medium armor, spear, and enchant as majors. Before I hit level 2 I have dreugh armor and orcish, 10k gold, the spear from the khajit merchant that summons bound spear, invisibility ring and a bunch of other items that cast magic damage. Before leveling up I have CHiM'd, turned the game inside out and will soon soul trap vivec to fuel my enchant addiction.

What a grand and intoxicating innocence.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

A good mix of glass and daedric is all that one needs to look fly

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

And a gondaliers hat

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

A brown fur diaper, Wraithguard, and Sunder

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Go with the OG as God intended. After trying to update Morrowind I realized everything is so lovely looking that you have to update everything for something to not stick out like a sore thumb, but every mod is made with a different style so nothing looks cohesive. It's ugly but at least it all looks ugly together.

And ultimately nothing can fix those clunky rear end animations anyway.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Impressive but still Jesus Christ

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

You will no longer start the game with negative spell points after you created your character. The problem with the negative hit points still exists however.

Gets me every time.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

When you're setting the distance in MGXE or whatever set it to 5 cells or lower, I'd suggest 3 to avoid anything like that. It can look amazing at maximum draw distance but when you can see 2 daedric ruins, a dwemer ruin, and a fort from whatever that boat village is on the bitter coast it definitely makes you want a little fog thrown in there

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

The Wonder Weapon posted:

why does the chocolate pack not get rid of cliff racers aaaaaaa

they are the quintessential morrowind experience designed to bring all of us together

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Heavy neutrino posted:

Does Morrowind have some sort of comprehensive revamp like Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul? I've only ever played unmodded, and I've been meaning to try mods but man I don't have the patience to deal with a dozen different mods and load orders and conflicts and oh dear, but on the other hand the game is full of straight up busted mechanics like alchemy and the economy in general.

Also is there some mod that makes offensive magic not completely laughable? The system in general with custom spells and the like is really cool but spells take two hours to cast, non-specialized characters don't have the magicka to cast anything more intensive than a cigarette burn, and oh if you somehow manage to make it work, gently caress you, every high tier enemy has constant spell reflect.

i tried modding my game to hell and back but it just is not worth it. Ditch any spell casting related skills you thought you wanted, grab enchant and do everything you wanted and more with one skill. The entire Morrowind experience is breaking the game in half in an hour or a slow progression to being a god at level 20 and playing any other way is wrong

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Entropy238 posted:

Reflect is kinda poo poo for high level mages.

Try levitating out of reach and using spells that your character has a high level resist to. Or – unless you've tweaked it through MCP – use absorb health because it doesn't reflect.

There's a neat trick too where you can send a summoned creature in then use an AoE spell to bypass reflect. As long as the summoned creature without reflect is hit first other enemies' reflect doesn't matter.

Using summons in the ordinary way is also a possibility.

Or, choose your battles. It doesn't cost much to keep invisibility permanently up and provided you're casting 1 magicka cost training spells you're really not missing much by not killing common enemies with reflect.

Magicka just isn't an issue once you've got alchemy.

I dont really enchant much other than to make constant effect stuff but it's pretty OP - i've never bothered.

Enchant owns, you can enchant a ring or whatever to machine gun cast fireballs, absorb, or whatever. The trader in caldera has a ring of invisibility for cheap you can snag right before beelining for your boots of speed. Mournhold has the +skill spells, enchant something with +enchant and snowball into a decked out jeweled glowing god. Hand animation cast times are for chumps

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

cheesetriangles posted:

I feel it in my bones that openmw is so god drat close to 1.0 and I am super excited about that. The amount of cool stuff they will be able to do to that game post 1.0 and full source code access is gonna be amazing.

I feel like there's going to be a handful of groups just as crazy and dedicated enough as the openmw crew are that are going to kick open the doors and keep this game with a dedicated community for decades to come

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

ask the openMW team to autoload all bsa's in the data folder

speaking of that what's the newest with the openmw team

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

That is beautiful

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

You dream of long days spent basking in the sunlight of your native lands. You feel the warmth and the heat, and feel your body become refreshed. Then you awaken, knowing it was but a dream.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

CHiM Shady

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

any recommendations on an alternate start mod?

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Cool I'll check them out. Honestly all I want is to start in a mushroom city because there's no way I can leave Seyda Neen without 3k~ in gold

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Why wouldn't they work? I was under the impression old mods should work easily in openmw

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

This may be my rose tinted glasses but honestly I don't like the updated textures pack. I spent a long time updating textures and applying improvement mods to make the game more modern and player friendly but it's like polishing a turd. You can have the incredible textures but the models are still terrible, and even if better bodies and better faces are your thing (I think they're awful) the animations are still dated and will look way jarring. There are some quality of life improvements that can be great but it's not anything you're going to notice without putting some time into the game. Just play it and enjoy it

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm gonna make a mod that replaces every texture in the game with a picture of my balls.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=XPmvo5OakpM

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Upmarket Mango posted:

I've never made a character with Sneak as anything other than a misc. skill--is it actually worth investing in and taking as a Major/Minor skill? Morrowind seems like it would have a clunky/broken stealth system so I never bothered.

Trader in Caldera has an invisibility ring for cheap, always grab it when I get the Boots of Blinding Speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

basic hitler posted:

I hate to double post but this isn't entirely connected to the last one so forgive me if that's a button of yours, but some of the quirks aside, I can't believe I've basically shelved this game for 15 years. I bought it a little over a year after release. It worked on my computer and it blew my mind. The depth was crazy, but I simply couldn't grasp it. As I start to try again, especailly with the new look, I can't help but see amazement in the detail of the game. In modern releases, The Witcher 3 is the only thing like this. Between TW3 and Morrowind there is nothing, even other bethsoft games and my beloved Obsidian games. There's so many little things even in Seyda Neen and Balmora feel more alive than many RPGs since. I feel some shame putting them off this long.

You sense yourself more aware, more open to new ideas. You've learned a lot about Morrowind. It's hard to believe how ignorant you were -- but now you have so much more to learn.