Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

FullMetalJacket posted:

I wouldn't dare paint it! right now its perfect, I would only try to improve how it runs.

That has worked every time so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I was halfway through a post asking about the feasibility of inboard brakes before I realised why they wouldn't work :negative:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Blood magnet, somehow managing to make a VW Bug even more dangerous to drive.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

ultimateforce posted:

That has worked every time so far.

I was going to follow up with something about painting it candy apple red.

kevbarlas
Oct 30, 2004

beep, beep, beeeep
I love the detail in this build, very well done!.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

kevbarlas posted:

I love the detail in this build, very well done!.

You could always add a turret to the Thames.

I just wanted to confirm that this rod will essentially be a trailer queen right? It's not actually going to get driven further than to shift it to where it's being displayed, right??

One other question I think I may have touched on before. It was confirmed that those bullets are old-rear end surplus blanks right? Wouldn't the powder be kind of unstable these days?

I really love the project by the way. I think it's great and always love seeing updates on it.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

General_Failure posted:

You could always add a turret to the Thames.

I just wanted to confirm that this rod will essentially be a trailer queen right? It's not actually going to get driven further than to shift it to where it's being displayed, right??

One other question I think I may have touched on before. It was confirmed that those bullets are old-rear end surplus blanks right? Wouldn't the powder be kind of unstable these days?

I really love the project by the way. I think it's great and always love seeing updates on it.

I think he's been driving it on the streets but don't quote me. I think the shells are dummy rounds, they are full of sand. Plus even if they were blanks, smokeless powder is extremely stable.

djdanno13 fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jun 26, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

djdanno13 posted:

I think he's been driving it on the streets but don't quote me. I think the shells are dummy rounds, they are full of sand. Plus even if they were blanks, smokeless powder is extremely stable.

Ah, i thought they were blanks. I wasn't aware of the relative stability either. That's something that has always troubled me.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

General_Failure posted:

Ah, i thought they were blanks. I wasn't aware of the relative stability either. That's something that has always troubled me.

Blanks don't have bullets, generally. The case neck is just crimped closed.

Since those obviously have bullets seated in the cases, they're either live, or were assembled specifically for display (with no primer or powder charge.) Sometimes you'll see cartridges with holes drilled in the case, to prove they're not live at a glance, particularly with larger-caliber cartridges.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010
I need to investigate this. The bullets are pointed directly at my head.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Blood Magnet posted:

I need to investigate this. The bullets are pointed directly at my head.

Take one out of the belt, and clamp it down in something, then use a pair of pliers to get the bullet out of the case. If its full of powder, it is was live.

Alternately, check and see if the cartridges have intact primers. Or, shake one and try to feel if anything is shifting in the case.

Honestly, it's only the legality of having live ammunition in your state you should worry about. You could leave center fire rifle ammo in the sun for decades, and suffer no ill effects, if you have no intention of shooting it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I probably don't have to say this, but don't even consider tapping the primer (if there is one) to see if it goes off. Bullets that go off when they're not in a gun chamber make a terrible mess and you stand an excellent chance of losing a hand (or at least the meat from it).

Edit: VVV I was too lazy to go back and find them. Yeah, there's nothing to worry about with those.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 27, 2013

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Haven't we been through this once already? Anyway heres a picture from a couple pages back

No bullets, they are probably fired blanks.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

No bullets, no crimp. Definitely fired blanks. Dummy rounds (American) typically have black painted bullets, at least in 5.56. Also I have never seen any since basic.

Anyways I love this car, keep up the great work.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

New steering wheel. I rolled the wheel from 3/4" square tube. It took forever.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I like it better. Hopefully your chest never hits it, though it's probably safer than the previous.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Godholio posted:

I like it better. Hopefully your chest never hits it, though it's probably safer than the previous.

The steering wheel is the least of the concern. Any bug before 67 just has a nice long pole going to the steering box. At least in 68 they made it collapsible.

I'm still wondering how I'm going to die in mine. Rollover and get launched out the 4x3 foot hole in the roof? Run down by a soccermom texting? Impaled by the steering column? So many interesting ways to go.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

I dig it, I'm hoping you make another center piece to attach to the old one and hang it on the wall.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

The steering wheel is the least of the concern. Any bug before 67 just has a nice long pole going to the steering box. At least in 68 they made it collapsible.

I'm still wondering how I'm going to die in mine. Rollover and get launched out the 4x3 foot hole in the roof? Run down by a soccermom texting? Impaled by the steering column? So many interesting ways to go.

Have you ever seen a crashed aussie Falcon from the 80s and earlier? I've seen more than one with the steering wheel sticking out the passenger side window. Solid columns are scary.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
For drivability (heh), I think you should switch to a weber DGEV with an adapter. Electric choke. I got a used one from eBay for like $200. It was like night and day from the garbage Holley 1-barrel I took off.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

Interior panels made from old wood and some PVC sheet.

I think my fuel delivery issues were due to the choke not being correctly adjusted. It is running pretty well at the moment.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

"at the moment"

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Its an acvw it'll need to have the valves,adjusted any time now.
:( I miss my vw

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

tater_salad posted:

Its an acvw it'll need to have the valves,adjusted any time now.
:( I miss my vw

Every 3000 miles :( I'm hoping to be able to afford to have my engine built with hydrolic lifters so I don't have to deal with that bullshit every third time I drive the car.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Every 3000 miles :( I'm hoping to be able to afford to have my engine built with hydrolic lifters so I don't have to deal with that bullshit every third time I drive the car.

You're going to drive it 1000 miles each time? I mean I loved driving my beetle but gently caress that.

Doing rockers in an ACVW usually isn't that bad. Usually. My camper was a pain in the rear end mostly for getting the rocker covers on and off but the beetle was a piece of piss once I replaced the exhaust.
Hydraulics are good but generally speaking you can rev a solid lifter ACVW engine harder.

If it makes you feel better did you see what I had to go through to adjust the rockers on the Niva? I never even knew an OHC engine with solids was a thing. I had to take the air cleaner off, remove hoses, undo all the fiddly little rocker cover bolts then finagle the cover past the cabin air intake. After I figured out the bizarro cantilever rocker setup I had to use a combination of timing chain location and crank pulley location to figure out where I was at, while trying to rotate the engine accurately and smoothly using the starter crank because if I turned it too far or too jerkily things wouldn't match up and I had to go for another round.

In retrospect if I'd pulled out the sparkplugs it would have been an easier job and I could have rotated the engine by hand but it didn't occur to me until just now. ACVW valves are easy. But yeah if you want to dodge a messy and regular maintenance point go for it by all means.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Pssh, my M3 had solid lifters and if was made in 2004.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

So only 2993 miles left.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
You'd be lucky to put 3k on it as long as you own it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

You'd be lucky to put 3k on it as long as you own it.

Nah I plan on actually driving it when (if) I ever finish building the drat thing. I've given up on the whole do it yourself thing though, just waiting for heater channels to appear then it's back to the guy who did the floor to do those. Then it's off to a body shop to paint it. My ability to care about working on a car anymore is long gone.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010
Keeping her out of the archives. Taken at the local Cars and Coffee. A guy from the paper was taking photos with a random car show chick. You can see him gesturing to her on the right.

The bus next to me was perfect.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's the first time I've noticed the hood strap. :lol: Right on.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
Jesus how do you crawl into that thing?! It looks sweet but driving it must be an experience

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'd say you have to be very much awake driving that...

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010
So my skeleton shifter is pulling the car out of gear, so I made a new one.

I stamped "WURST" on it, if you cant see. Eh, Eh?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Is that going to be a tikki head on the top, or a piston?

You did get a chuckle out of "WURST", though. That's good.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

Raluek posted:

Is that going to be a tikki head on the top, or a piston?

You did get a chuckle out of "WURST", though. That's good.

I thought it was pretty clever. The top is done, it is just a pleasing-to-the-touch shape. I welded it in on Friday and it seems to make the action much smoother. The battery is dead and I couldn't get it started, maybe next week.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010
I made some progress today. I started to box in the trunk area in. There is a little hatch to get to the brake stuff. I used 16ga sheet metal, so maybe it will add a little structure, rigidity and weight to the front end.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Like the new shifter! Do you have any current pictures of overall progress or is it still the same from the last time?

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
Dad said you're not driving it to the turkey rod run. C'mon man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

Dad said you're not driving it to the turkey rod run. C'mon man.

Fuel delivery issues + Transaxle issues + Battery/starter issues = No fun for me.

• Locked thread