Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I've had the same firefox profile since it was called firebird, been copying it between various machines and laptops since. :v:

Loading firefox and clicking address bar to search on a non-ssd machine took a literal minute the first time on boot at one point, and having ~10 years of history to search through owned. Then mozilla randomly decided it'll start culling history depending on performance impact at one point and now I'm down to like a year or so :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I started using Firefox when it was still called Phoenix. Didn't keep my profile, though.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
drat. You'd think that auto-culling the history would be opt-in via a warning popup when your history stars becoming huge.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Is there an option for always showing all toolbars in popup windows?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

apropos man posted:

drat. You'd think that auto-culling the history would be opt-in via a warning popup when your history stars becoming huge.

This is the same software philosophy that pops up a big "Hey, would you like to wipe literally everything out of this browser that you ever wanted, irrevocably?" when it feels like it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I still at times go "hey, I was reading this poo poo 3 years ago" and I type something in the address bar and nothing shows up. Firefox's address bar search is the best browser feature of any browser ever I feel, chome's doesn't behave nearly as nicely. I kinda understand why they don't want people's browsers to hang for 3 minutes while they try to type in google.com on a cold boot, but the fact that they don't even let me do that anymore (default settings were never bad, IIRC I had to go into about:config to extend history saving past 1 year) is a bit annoying, since I leave my pc on for months at a time anyway it's not a big deal for me.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think I'm alone in thinking that I loving hate keeping my history around. I never want anything to do with my history ever again but every single browser makes you go through like 3 different redundancies to make sure your history isn't saved or is at least cleared whenever you use the browser.

Firefox still kinda needs an about:config tweak and maybe an extension to make sure your history is never kept.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Truga posted:

but the fact that they don't even let me do that anymore (default settings were never bad, IIRC I had to go into about :config to extend history saving past 1 year) is a bit annoying

You can still have a stupidly huge history, it's just that the setting to override does not exist by default. make a new int value places.history.expiration.max_pages and set it to something suitably large.

check places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages to see what firefox thinks is an appropriate number for a sense of scale -- that is dynamically generated based on machine specs.

jokes posted:

I think I'm alone in thinking that I loving hate keeping my history around.

Nope, personally I cut the history size down because old poo poo from 5 months ago in the address bar is actively detrimental to me. Firefox isn't always the best at prioritizing and old history often gets promoted in front of recent stuff. Most of the time when I'm thinking "what was that thing I looked at 3 months ago?" I can't find it in history anyways -- it's in there but I can't remember the page title or any keywords to find it. When I remember enough to call it up I can just google the poo poo.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I've had more than one profile but I've been dragging my bookmarks around since Firefox 0.8, there are all sorts of monstrosities from like 2004 in there (if they still even exist :v: )

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I took a day and cleared all my poo poo out and went through redundant/outdated passwords in my password manager. I highly recommend doing this, especially if you keep sync on and/or drag poo poo between browsers.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sooner or later there will be a TV-show about digital hoarder freaks who can't stop amassing useless data. I'll be on S01E01

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

You can still have a stupidly huge history, it's just that the setting to override does not exist by default. make a new int value places.history.expiration.max_pages and set it to something suitably large.

check places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages to see what firefox thinks is an appropriate number for a sense of scale -- that is dynamically generated based on machine specs.

holy poo poo thanks, you just saved my world. as someone who never uses bookmarks because, well, being used to have a normal, searchable history, I always forget to bookmark poo poo and this is a lifesaver.

e: it was set at 160k, i set it to maxint, :regd08:

Truga fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 21, 2018

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Ola posted:

Sooner or later there will be a TV-show about digital hoarder freaks who can't stop amassing useless data. I'll be on S01E01

A show about tech giants would be pretty boring tbh

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm trying to understand a small bug, hopefully you all can take a look. There is an article written in Norwegian which has the letter å in it, an a with a circle right on top. This one: https://www.compart.com/en/unicode/U+00E5 But when I view it in Firefox, the circle has fallen off, it's on the right hand side of the a. What's going on? It's ok in Chrome. Is there a a character map thing or something more fundamental?

Here's what they look like to me:

Here is the article: https://www.dn.no/magasinet/vin/rodvin/smak/vin/nebbiolo-med-finesse/2-1-422180

I'm curious if there's something on my end or on their end and the answer will be enlightening to me. Thanks for looking.

Ola fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 21, 2018

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Shows the same for me, but if I change the font on the page from te requested "Noe Text" to a generic serif or sans serif, the circle is on top.

So it's a problem with the font, or whatever font is picked as a replacement in case the Noe thing isn't installed. This is on Windows. Firefox on Android renders it correctly without modification.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Probably an effect of Unicode normalization by some software involved in publishing the article, converting the usual single-codepoint "å" to a plain "a" and a "combining ring above" character. And the font used has a bug with that "combining ring above" character.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

nielsm posted:

Probably an effect of Unicode normalization by some software involved in publishing the article, converting the usual single-codepoint "å" to a plain "a" and a "combining ring above" character. And the font used has a bug with that "combining ring above" character.

Yep, it's exactly this. Using a text editor that doesn't do full unicode but does do extended ascii gives me this:

top line - opened from source
second line - copy & pasted from browser
third line - typed using character map

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Looks perfectly fine here:

Im using firefox 62 on Fedora 28. I have a couple of extra programming font installed, nothing much.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Looks fine for me as well, FF62 on fresh install of Win10. Only extra fonts I have should be whatever came bundled with Microsoft Office.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

isndl posted:

Looks fine for me as well, FF62 on fresh install of Win10. Only extra fonts I have should be whatever came bundled with Microsoft Office.

Same. FF63 Beta on Win 10, no issues.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thanks guys, particularly Flipperwaldt and nielsm who probably nailed it. They seem to have discovered the issue and changed the font:

Yesterday:

Today:

Interesting bug!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Does anyone using the Turbo Download Manager add-on able to save stuff to a folder?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i don't know, is that even a feature of that add-on? :v::v::v:

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Ola posted:

I'm trying to understand a small bug, hopefully you all can take a look. There is an article written in Norwegian which has the letter å in it, an a with a circle right on top. This one: https://www.compart.com/en/unicode/U+00E5 But when I view it in Firefox, the circle has fallen off, it's on the right hand side of the a. What's going on? It's ok in Chrome. Is there a a character map thing or something more fundamental?

Here's what they look like to me:

Here is the article: https://www.dn.no/magasinet/vin/rodvin/smak/vin/nebbiolo-med-finesse/2-1-422180

I'm curious if there's something on my end or on their end and the answer will be enlightening to me. Thanks for looking.

This is somewhat common that websites use combining characters but not a font that supports them.

You don't see an issue in Chrome because it applies NFC normalization to the text prior to rendering, which replaces the sequence of combining characters with the equivalent single character.

This bug has some context.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My work computer is a Mac with Firefox Developer Edition 63. Recently it stopped auto-completing awesome bar suggestions. It shows me the drop-down with things it thinks I'm typing, but I used to be able to type a few characters and then hit enter. What setting do I need to toggle to get that behavior back?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

hooah posted:

My work computer is a Mac with Firefox Developer Edition 63. Recently it stopped auto-completing awesome bar suggestions. It shows me the drop-down with things it thinks I'm typing, but I used to be able to type a few characters and then hit enter. What setting do I need to toggle to get that behavior back?

Probably browser.urlbar.autoFill in about :config.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Geemer posted:

I have that set to false and it auto-completes for me. EDIT: nvm, im a moron

Try browser.urlbar.autocomplete.enabled and browser.urlbar.suggest.*

Storm One fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 27, 2018

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The only thing in browser.urlbar.suggest.* that wasn't wasn't already true was onlyTyped. For shits and giggles I also toggled the autoFill off, restarted the browser, then to on and restarted again, but no change in behavior.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Geemer posted:

That's a weird name since autofill is usually used for form data, but here's what that one does:

mozillazine posted:

Inline autocomplete mimics behavior in Netscape Navigator 4.x as well as Internet Explorer (when IE's inline autocomplete is activated). As you type, entries you have previously typed that closely match appear highlighted after your typed text.

To enable it, do the following:

Type about :config in the Location Bar
Right-click on the page and create a new boolean value
Type browser.urlbar.autoFill
Set the value to true

Note: Inline autocomplete is enabled by default in Firefox 14 and above. [1] To disable it, set browser.urlbar.autoFill to false.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

hooah posted:

The only thing in browser.urlbar.suggest.* that wasn't wasn't already true was onlyTyped. For shits and giggles I also toggled the autoFill off, restarted the browser, then to on and restarted again, but no change in behavior.

I misunderstood your previous post, the behaviour you described is how it works for me too, sorry.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So was there ever a post-quantum version of SALR or some sort of alternative made?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
There's a port of the Chrome SALR. Still a work in progress but it works mostly okay.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Lol the tracking protection icon is animated for some reason

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Freakazoid_ posted:

hahaha I have a unique fingerprint because I use the latest firefox and canvas and one extra plug-in :negative:

It says I have a unique fingerprint and I’m running Safari on iOS soooo…

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What is it with Firefox and not being able to reliably play video content? At some point during its runtime, it fails at playing Youtube videos, where the picture freezes with occasional skip aheads, unless the mouse cursor is over the video, while audio keeps playing. Looking it up, it's an issue that goes years back.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Combat Pretzel posted:

What is it with Firefox and not being able to reliably play video content? At some point during its runtime, it fails at playing Youtube videos, where the picture freezes with occasional skip aheads, unless the mouse cursor is over the video, while audio keeps playing. Looking it up, it's an issue that goes years back.

Actually, I'm on the 63 beta and I recently had a YouTube problem of my own. The video would not actually play at all. It only started to work again once I restarted my browser.

Knowing Mozilla, this will probably be an issue for years before somebody gets annoyed enough to actually look into the problem, ala the animated GIF issues that were only recently fixed.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Firefox in general is a browser where I put up with the jank and slow bug fixes because the alternatives are simply unusable.

If you're in Linux there are a bunch of unstable performance tweaks you need, which the arch wiki has a good page on. On windows I've sometimes fixed performance jank on YouTube after a graphics card charge or driver update by resetting all the non-default gfx. settings in about:config. Sometimes Firefox just holds on to old or wrong values and doesn't correct them, leading to awful performance issues.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Anyone know how far along Shumway has come in rendering flash? I've got flash files that will probably never be converted into a modern format and would like to keep watching/playing them in the future.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Shumway was discontinued a couple years ago so that's probably a dead end for you. It doesn't have a WebExtension version so you probably can't even install it on the latest Firefox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Freakazoid_ posted:

Anyone know how far along Shumway has come in rendering flash? I've got flash files that will probably never be converted into a modern format and would like to keep watching/playing them in the future.

Download the standalone Adobe Flash player.

https://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/debug_downloads.html https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/updaters/31/flashplayer_31_sa.exe

It's the safest way to play flash content like old games and standalone videos. It will not be affected by the future discontinuance of browser plug-ins.