Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«251 »
Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

xamphear posted:

Yeah, and it's broken. It doesn't stop youtube or twitch from autoplaying, which both seem like pretty major sites you'd want to test on.

Itís not broken thereís just multiple settings that donít really make sense. Changing them in fact does bring back the actual options screen toggle, too.

Have a read of both this (including comments) and this and youíll be able to set it up.

Mine asks for permission and I distinctly remember it asking on YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

What in firefox keeps the display awake?

Under linux, running "xset dpms force standby" causes the screen to instantly come back on if firefox is running, and it never actually blanks when I leave it idle. Kill firefox, my monitor sleeps like it's supposed to.

It's probably some autoplay video pending focus but gently caress me if I'm going to janitor my tabs to find the one keeping it awake when i would rather firefox lost the ability to gently caress with my screen entirely.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Out there.

Harik posted:

Under linux, running "xset dpms force standby" causes the screen to instantly come back on if firefox is running, and it never actually blanks when I leave it idle. Kill firefox, my monitor sleeps like it's supposed to.

It's probably some autoplay video pending focus but gently caress me if I'm going to janitor my tabs to find the one keeping it awake when i would rather firefox lost the ability to gently caress with my screen entirely.

How many tabs do you have open?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Harik posted:

I've had the same problem, and the only fix was quitting firefox.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

astral posted:

How many tabs do you have open?

Enough that I'm not sitting around and counting them. Less than earlier because I finished one thing I was working on and nuked the entire tab-tree at once.

Somewhere north of 150 I think. I keep trying to use bookmarks instead but that requires so much more janitoring then open tabs, use the address bar to jump to the one you want, close when done.

E: And something I closed was doing it, I can sleep the display again with firefox open. It's infuriating.

Harik fucked around with this message at Mar 11, 2019 around 20:51

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Out there.

Harik posted:

Enough that I'm not sitting around and counting them. Less than earlier because I finished one thing I was working on and nuked the entire tab-tree at once.

Somewhere north of 150 I think. I keep trying to use bookmarks instead but that requires so much more janitoring then open tabs, use the address bar to jump to the one you want, close when done.

E: And something I closed was doing it, I can sleep the display again with firefox open. It's infuriating.

Ahh. Do you use the bookmarks toolbar? If not, you might give it a try - it adds some convenience for things like that. You can make folders there too. You can also limit a search to bookmarks only by putting an * before your search, e.g.
code:
* coolprojectidea

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

astral posted:

Ahh. Do you use the bookmarks toolbar? If not, you might give it a try - it adds some convenience for things like that. You can make folders there too. You can also limit a search to bookmarks only by putting an * before your search, e.g.
code:
* coolprojectidea

That's what I mean about janitoring: When I'm done I have to go remove the bookmarks again instead of closing an entire tab-tree. I keep bookmarks of the stuff I reference all the time, but tabs are short-lived. Thanks for the asterisk hint though, I didn't know that shortcut.

The bookmarks toolbar has stuff I use constantly on it. cyberchef, landing pages for python, STL, atmel and nordic documentation, etc.

Anyway, it's not really the topic: how do I prevent websites from keeping my monitor on?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Harik posted:

Anyway, it's not really the topic: how do I prevent websites from keeping my monitor on?

Janitor your tabs. The most likely suspects are video players so you could start with all the tabs for youtube and similar sites.

If you were on widows you could use powercfg /requestsoverride to prevent firefox itself from blocking power changes, but apparently linux has no equivalent to that. So it seems like you're boned.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Klyith posted:

Janitor your tabs. The most likely suspects are video players so you could start with all the tabs for youtube and similar sites.

If you were on widows you could use powercfg /requestsoverride to prevent firefox itself from blocking power changes, but apparently linux has no equivalent to that. So it seems like you're boned.

Actually it does:
code:
$ systemd-inhibit
WHO                 UID USER  PID  COMM            WHAT                         
Libvirt             0   root  3192 libvirtd        shutdown                     
ModemManager        0   root  2540 ModemManager    sleep                        
slack               574 harik 4927 slack           sleep                        
xfce4-power-manager 574 harik 4802 xfce4-power-man handle-power-key:handle-suspe

4 inhibitors listed.
There's another one on dbus for screensaver as well.

So I need to wait for it to break me again and find out which it's taking, then I can find it in the source. Not a rabbithole I wanted to go down but oh well.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Nam Taf posted:

Itís not broken thereís just multiple settings that donít really make sense. Changing them in fact does bring back the actual options screen toggle, too.

Have a read of both this (including comments) and this and youíll be able to set it up.

Mine asks for permission and I distinctly remember it asking on YouTube.

Thanks for these links, I'll check them out and make sure my settings are in line.

Edit: Yeah, I was right in line with the best practices laid out there. I still get videos (with sound!) autoplaying on Youtube and Twitch. It's never the initial page I go to, it's after clicking around a bit. It even shows the little "autoplay blocked" icon in the address bar, while the video starts right up and blares out my speakers.

xamphear fucked around with this message at Mar 18, 2019 around 14:34

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Heads up, but if you had enabled scrolling in the tab bar = changing tabs through userchrome.css/bindings.xml, like this, Firefox 66 breaks that and won't even load correctly as long as those changes are present.

I thought the update failed or my profile was corrupted but it was just those tweaks.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

One Potato to rule them all,
One Potato to find them,
One Potato to bring them all
And in the darkness bind them.

Bread Liar

Goddammit Mozilla, just let me keep the poo poo I like

Belan
May 7, 2007

Unless I'm missing something Firefox 66 did not add/fix scroll anchoring? At least here pages load just like they did before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 28, 2007

Hair Elf

Belan posted:

Unless I'm missing something Firefox 66 did not add/fix scroll anchoring? At least here pages load just like they did before.

The problem is that SA has this CSS:
code:
div#container {
 overflow:hidden
}
That div covers the whole entire page and it breaks scroll anchoring.

Firefox cannot set an anchor point inside a nested scrollable frame, and overflow:hidden creates a scroll frame. So the whole entire page is one giant nested scrollable frame.

Related: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1520581

«251 »