Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fame Douglas posted:

And the engine comes at the cost of reducing Mozilla's market share.

The ordinary person doesn't give a poo poo about the browser engine.

Google ate the market by putting popups on the #1 and #2 most visited websites in the world saying "switch to chrome!" and showing everyone that popup forever, every day of their life, until they switched to chrome. And then to get the holdouts they started loving with other browsers.

Agreed tho that firefox's existence has very little ability to change what google does with the internet. However, I do think the fact that firefox is hanging around is the main thing that has stopped google from implementing the change that will cripple adblocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

If Microsoft doesn't have the resources to implement a browser around Chrome renderer then I don't think Firefox can.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

~Coxy posted:

If Microsoft doesn't have the resources to implement a browser around Chrome renderer then I don't think Firefox can.

They have the resources, but not the organizational ability.

MikusR
Jan 5, 2008

~Coxy posted:

Edge is just that a customized chrome

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

MikusR posted:

Ignore me, I'm a moron.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 11, 2020

D. Ebdrup
Mar 13, 2009

MikusR posted:

That's not quite true, given the (supposedly capabilities-based) sandboxing Microsoft has implemented.

FreeBSD people are also working on capabilities-based sandboxing for Firefox.
Robert Watson did the same for Chromium, despite the fact that Google didn't take the work and decided to implement their own poorer version).

You can read more about capability-based security here.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

I have history turned off so only bookmarks show up when I type into the URL bar. That said, I've noticed this weird phenomenon, where the order of the bookmarks changes. I get used to typing "wea" and the weather is at the top of the list. Then later, my target weather bookmark when typing "wea" appears somewhere in the middle of the list. I have no idea what is causing the bookmarks to reorder. It didn't use to happen, then one day, it began.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

grillster posted:

I have history turned off so only bookmarks show up when I type into the URL bar. That said, I've noticed this weird phenomenon, where the order of the bookmarks changes. I get used to typing "wea" and the weather is at the top of the list. Then later, my target weather bookmark when typing "wea" appears somewhere in the middle of the list. I have no idea what is causing the bookmarks to reorder. It didn't use to happen, then one day, it began.

Just a guess, but perhaps the indexing changed when you added another bookmark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

You can also give your bookmark a keyword, so that hitting "wea" and then ENTER just gets you your weather page, no matter what.