Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Not officially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I don't suppose anyone here knows what's going on with the reading list? Specifically on desktop. It has a wiki page with a flag to enable a beta of it as of 38, but I don't have that flag and adding it doesn't seem to do anything. All the bugzilla stuff tagged desktop reading list has been moved to the graveyard. Was it all scrapped for the stupid Pocket integration?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

The Milkman posted:

I don't suppose anyone here knows what's going on with the reading list? Specifically on desktop. It has a wiki page with a flag to enable a beta of it as of 38, but I don't have that flag and adding it doesn't seem to do anything. All the bugzilla stuff tagged desktop reading list has been moved to the graveyard. Was it all scrapped for the stupid Pocket integration?
It was merged into bookmarks.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Aww, v46 broke Snap Links Plus, which I used almost entirely as a poor-man's "open all unread threads in new tabs" extension. Does anyone have a replacement until they fix that so I'm not manually opening 20 threads in new tabs like a peon?

Fapos
Feb 10, 2004

*FAP* *FaP* *faP*
There's an unsigned version but you might need to set xpinstall.signatures.required to false until it gets approval.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hooah posted:

Aww, v46 broke Snap Links Plus, which I used almost entirely as a poor-man's "open all unread threads in new tabs" extension. Does anyone have a replacement until they fix that so I'm not manually opening 20 threads in new tabs like a peon?

I've been using this GreaseMonkey script for a while, programmed by another goon:

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @id             jerkikosnewtabs
// @name           jerkikosnewtabs
// @version        1.0
// @namespace      
// @author         
// @description    
// @include        http://forums.somethingawful.com/*
// @match					https://forums.somethingawful.com/*
// @grant          GM_openInTab
// @run-at         document-end
// ==/UserScript==
var forum = document.getElementById("forum");
if (forum)
{	
	var button = document.createElement("a");
	button.href = "#";
	button.innerHTML = "Open New Posts in New Tabs";
	button.style.cssFloat = "right";
	button.style.marginRight = "8px";
	button.addEventListener("click", NewPostsInNewTabs, false);

var where = document.evaluate("THEAD/TR/TH[contains(@class,'title')]",
			forum, null, 7, null);
	where = where.snapshotItem(0);
	if (where)
	{

where.insertBefore(button,where.firstChild);
	}
}

function NewPostsInNewTabs(event)
{
	var eval, node, name;
	event.preventDefault();
	eval = document.evaluate("TBODY/TR/TD/DIV/DIV/A[contains(@class,'count')]",
			document.getElementById("forum"), null, 7, null);
	OpenTabLoop(eval);

return;
}

var i =0;
function OpenTabLoop(eval){
	if (i < eval.snapshotLength){
		setTimeout(function(){		
			node = eval.snapshotItem(i);
            node = node.href;
			i++;
			OpenTabLoop(eval);
            GM_openInTab(node);

},(i*3)+250);
	}

}
You may want to alter the timing because the time it waits before opening the next tab is set such that like Firefox 25 doesn't crash as it did if you went faster. It's probably not an issue anymore.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Fapos posted:

There's an unsigned version but you might need to set xpinstall.signatures.required to false until it gets approval.

THANK loving GOD

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Is anybody else having problems with noscript on android? Mine deactivated (probably for being unsigned) but if I try to get the version from addons.moz, it says it's downloading, but never installs.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So holy poo poo guys, I'm on v46.0 stable, and for the first time enabled e10 on it, I implore you all to at least give it a try.

I lost a couple of add-ons in doing so, LastPass being the major blow here, but I also use KeePass as an alternative/offline backup so that's good, Image Zoom, Google Reverse Image Search, Clean Links and that seems to be it, but I think it's totally worth it, seriously give it a try. Side note: whos browser here doesn't hang when opening this page... mine now doesn't :P

In about :config, to enable e10 you'll probably have to look for these entries and change them to/create them if you don't see them.

layers.offmainthreadcomposition.testing.enabled - false to true
browser.tabs.remote.autostart - false to true
extensions.e10sBlocksEnabling - true to false
extensions.e10sBlockedByAddons - true to false

I also had to create a new string "browser.tabs.remote.force-enable" and set it as "true"

Only time my browser froze was when I tried using LastPass, whoops.

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 27, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

fishmech posted:

I've been using this GreaseMonkey script for a while, programmed by another goon:

code:
script
You may want to alter the timing because the time it waits before opening the next tab is set such that like Firefox 25 doesn't crash as it did if you went faster. It's probably not an issue anymore.

Thanks. I'd used this script a long time ago before I temporarily moved to Chrome, but when I came back to Firefox a couple years ago, Greasemonkey or this script for whatever reason caused problems. Of course, I don't remember the details of the problems anymore and so far so good.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Im_Special posted:

So holy poo poo guys, I'm on v46.0 stable, and for the first time enabled e10 on it, I implore you all to at least give it a try.

Yay, E10S has finally landed in a release build so I can ditch Nightly. I get why they're still worried and don't want to enable it across the board, but they should really have a checkbox in the options that enables/disables it like Hardware Acceleration or something by now. Mark it as unstable or something, but make it easy for people to play with. Despite having used it in Nightly for months now, I had to add the browser.tabs.remote.force-enable setting to make it work in v46 release build.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

stop enabling
code:
 layers.offmainthreadcomposition.testing.enabled
it breaks things does not do anything anymore

astral fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 27, 2016

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

astral posted:

stop enabling
code:
 layers.offmainthreadcomposition.testing.enabled
it breaks things

And this is why stuff doesn't go into a release until it's ready: people will flip prefs without knowing what they do or what the limitations are, and then Firefox will break in subtle ways, and they'll blame Mozilla (and demand support!) rather than realizing it's because they hosed poo poo up.

e: Note that I can't confirm or deny if this pref actually breaks things since I haven't looked into it myself.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 27, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

actually my reply was a little out-of-date, I looked into it again and it sounds like it doesn't break things anymore because it doesn't do anything at all. It was used for automated testing with different configurations. The preference is removed entirely in Firefox 47+.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Im_Special posted:

I lost a couple of add-ons in doing so, LastPass being the major blow here, but I also use KeePass as an alternative/offline backup so that's good, Image Zoom, Google Reverse Image Search, Clean Links and that seems to be it, but I think it's totally worth it, seriously give it a try. Side note: whos browser here doesn't hang when opening this page... mine now doesn't :P

In about :config, to enable e10 you'll probably have to look for these entries and change them to/create them if you don't see them.

layers.offmainthreadcomposition.testing.enabled - false to true
browser.tabs.remote.autostart - false to true
extensions.e10sBlocksEnabling - true to false
extensions.e10sBlockedByAddons - true to false

I also had to create a new string "browser.tabs.remote.force-enable" and set it as "true"

Only time my browser froze was when I tried using LastPass, whoops.

What is e10s? The only thing I can find really is this wiki page and it doesn't really say anything at all. Like what does it do for me and why should I care/enable it? I guess it's some kind of thing that makes 1 tab = 1 process like Chrome?

I also noticed that my Firefox (downloaded from Ninite I think) is 32 bit and there's a 64 bit version on Firefox's website. Should I bother upgrading to it?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I guess it's some kind of thing that makes 1 tab = 1 process like Chrome?

I also noticed that my Firefox (downloaded from Ninite I think) is 32 bit and there's a 64 bit version on Firefox's website. Should I bother upgrading to it?
Yes. (Sort of. By default it's 1 process for the UI and 1 process for all tabs, but you can change a setting and get more tab processes.)

Yes.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Boris Galerkin posted:

What is e10s? The only thing I can find really is this wiki page and it doesn't really say anything at all. Like what does it do for me and why should I care/enable it? I guess it's some kind of thing that makes 1 tab = 1 process like Chrome?

Right now, it's not really 1 tab, 1 process. All the tabs share a process, but it's separate from the UI. Therefore, with it enabled, a slow Web page will cause other pages to hang, but you can hit the Stop button or close the tab to get rid of the page. It also sandboxes Web pages, preventing them from exploiting bugs or bad addons to get access to the file system or other parts of the OS. The downside is that it breaks pretty much every addon, plugin, and accessibility program. However, plugins are deprecated and the addon API is getting replaced anyway, so accessibility is the main hangup with the process.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I wouldn't say it breaks every add-on. I recently wrote a Firefox add-on, did nothing special to support e10s, and it works perfectly for me on nightlies where e10s is enabled.

I can also say that if you're worried about Mozilla being too slow on reviewing add-ons so they get signed, I went through the review queue in 20 hours, total. To be fair, it was a preliminary review only, which is enough to get a signature, but has a few restrictions on what you're allowed to do. Still, it was very quick.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

dpbjinc posted:

The downside is that it breaks pretty much every addon.

Hyperbole! Anyway you can check to see if your add-ons are broke or not on this page. https://www.arewee10syet.com/

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Im_Special posted:

Hyperbole! Anyway you can check to see if your add-ons are broke or not on this page. https://www.arewee10syet.com/

Most of mine are listed as Bug Reported or Shimmed (whatever that means).

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Just enabled e10s, and everything was working great until I went to Facebook. Facebook is all hosed up. Not sure what's causing that.

[edit]
Hm, magically it's working now. Perhaps just a funky glitch. I haven't yet enabled browser.tabs.remote.force-enable, but everything seems to be working pretty well, despite the fact that I do have DownThemAll installed, which, from what I can tell, is the only extension that is supposedly buggy with e10s.

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 28, 2016

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Fangs404 posted:

Just enabled e10s, and everything was working great until I went to Facebook. Facebook is all hosed up. Not sure what's causing that.

Solution: Don't go to facebook

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
If you upgrade to Firefox 46 and saving things from pages stops working, it seems it's because the Mozilla Archive Format extension is breaking something in 46.

There's a beta version out of the addon, but it can't do actual page archive saving while e10s is enabled, so you'd need to wait for a later version to get that back

fishmech fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 28, 2016

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void
So v47 Beta 1 seems to remove any (easy) way to have all of our previous session tabs load in the background at startup vs on-active. Anyone know what about :config flags they may have moved this to? Or is this another "you don't really need that" toggle they've decided to remove?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So the new GTK3 FF46 looks like poo poo with my theme (oxygen-gtk) and compiling it against gtk2 is crashy as gently caress now.

What's the best way of getting rid of the new horizontal and vertical lines that have been added, and the 3px chunky dividers that appear on menus now?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

I have FF 46.0.1, release version, with e10s enabled (browser.tabs.remote.autostart toggled to true), but I'm not sure how to tell if it's functioning. In about :support I show "Multiprocess Windows - 0/1 (Enabled by user)" irrespective of the number of tabs open. Is that correct? Should I be seeing more than one FF process in Process Explorer?

Also, does e10s, standing alone, include security sandboxing, or does it just facilitate sandboxing (i.e., is any additional configuration, or are any additional addons, necessary, for security sandboxing after e10s is implemented)?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

e10s means that stuff is in different processes, so that sandboxes things on its own (although there are other ways to sandbox things, too). One of the issues with using multiple threads of execution in one process is that all the memory is shared between threads. Processes don't share memory unless you set them up to do so.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

OK many thanks!

Any idea if the "0/1" means that it's working, though? Not a big deal, I can wait until 47 or later if it's not, just curious.

e: I assume it is working but I was expecting a value higher than zero rather than both zero and a value higher than zero. The description in the Wiki is unclear.

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 5, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

So far the only real difference I've noticed is that Firefox no longer takes minutes to close with lots of tabs open. And some weirdness with youtube videos.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

OK many thanks!

Any idea if the "0/1" means that it's working, though? Not a big deal, I can wait until 47 or later if it's not, just curious.

e: I assume it is working but I was expecting a value higher than zero rather than both zero and a value higher than zero. The description in the Wiki is unclear.

I'm pretty sure 0/1 means it's not working it should be 1/1 at the very least. This is probably being blocked by one of your add-ons (since when the browser detects incompatible add-ons it disables it).

To get around that, add an entry named browser.tabs.remote.force-enable and set it to true.

These also might be of interest;

extensions.e10sBlocksEnabling - true / false
extensions.e10sBlockedByAddons - true / false

The number IIRC 1/1, 2/2, 3/3, etc. just mean you had 3 Firefox windows open for it to say 3/3. If you would've opened another window it would say 4/4.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Im_Special posted:

I'm pretty sure 0/1 means it's not working it should be 1/1 at the very least. This is probably being blocked by one of your add-ons (since when the browser detects incompatible add-ons it disables it).

To get around that, add an entry named browser.tabs.remote.force-enable and set it to true.

These also might be of interest;

extensions.e10sBlocksEnabling - true / false
extensions.e10sBlockedByAddons - true / false

The number IIRC 1/1, 2/2, 3/3, etc. just mean you had 3 Firefox windows open for it to say 3/3. If you would've opened another window it would say 4/4.

Thank you!!

I went ahead and opened up some new windows and, sure enough, the values went to 0/2, 0/3 etc., so you're absolutely right, it wasn't working at all.

I tried resetting the configuration values (thanks for that suggestion as well) but no luck - looks like I'll have to wait or force enable it. I'll probably do the latter; if I do, I'll come back and document the results in case it's relevant to anyone else.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Im_Special posted:

E10s wasn't enabled for me so I tried that and I got two crashes in six hours, where normally Firefox doesn't crash at all.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Grim Up North posted:

E10s wasn't enabled for me so I tried that and I got two crashes in six hours, where normally Firefox doesn't crash at all.

Yeah that setting in particular hosed things up something special, any video/content heavy page kills the entire browser.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
The reason you crashed is because you have incompatible add-ons and you are using a super secret config tweak to force something you shouldn't with said incompatible add-ons.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Getting on better with gtk3 firefox now. Turned out the oxygen-gtk theme stopped working with gtk3.15 so downgraded to 3.14 and it looks great.

Except for in firefox, which still has these annoying lines added that wern't on the gtk2 version. Any idea how I get rid of them? Presumably a userchrome.css hack.

Also what's the current recommended usercontent.css hack to make websites not do black-on-black when using a dark theme?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there an addon or usersetting somewhere that I can change to force US versions of websites or at least stop websites from automatically redirecting me to a different country version? I don't need vpn or proxy functionality or anything. I just want to visit for example the US version of kayak.com when I type in kayak.com and not the localized country version. It's just rather annoying.

Scrabble Tournament
May 17, 2006
MY OLD-ASS AVATAR URL BROKE THE ADMIN PANEL, THANKS RADIUM

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there an addon or usersetting somewhere that I can change to force US versions of websites or at least stop websites from automatically redirecting me to a different country version? I don't need vpn or proxy functionality or anything. I just want to visit for example the US version of kayak.com when I type in kayak.com and not the localized country version. It's just rather annoying.

There's Options > Content > Languages, which sets the HTTP Accept-Language header that gets sent, but that won't help if the redirection is based on your IP address.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Has anyone else's Firefox started to delete session cookies for Twitter and Flickr in the last ~month or so?

The only extension I have installed around the same timeframe was lightbeam which afaik activates tracking protection. I have since deactivated (but not uninstalled) the extension.

Twitter and Flickr used to keep me logged in between browser crashes, but don't anymore. With Flickr at least I can just chalk it up to their ongoing shittening of the user experience they have been doing for 3 years now.

Oh and of course I have uBlock origin installed, does it have some setting or blocklist in it that possibly blocks cookies?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've had the same problem for months with SA and Feedly (less frequently), but it doesn't require a crash - sometimes within the same browser session I'll return to SA and have to re-log. No idea what the hell is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Have you tried resetting your profile? If not, see the OP. Sometimes things can cause your profile to be internally inconsistent, and then all sorts of weird poo poo happens.