Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Geemer posted:

It's the new feature for the Pocket apologists to defend.

I'm also still furious over adding features for normies that take 5 seconds to hide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I was grumpy at pocket for some reason, and I use Greenshot for my screengrab needs, but I can't do much more than shrug at something that apparently exposes functionality tucked away in the dev tools.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Good LORD 57 is blaaaaaazing fast on Windows. MacOS also feels zippy but on Windows this browser is a whole different beast. WOW.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
If I want to try 57 on Windows but already have a regular 55 install, what do I need to do? Back up my profile and install 57 over the old install?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

pairofdimes posted:

If I want to try 57 on Windows but already have a regular 55 install, what do I need to do? Back up my profile and install 57 over the old install?

Make a spare profile, install Nightly to its own directory, don't launch it after installing, modify the new shortcut to your nightly install's properties, Target field, to add
code:
 -no-remote -p "[YOURNEWPROFILENAMEHERE]"
after the firefox.exe"

So for example if the new profile you made was called "sweetnightlyprofile" the Target field might now read:
code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Nightly\firefox.exe" -no-remote -p "sweetnightlyprofile"

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

astral posted:

Make a spare profile, install Nightly to its own directory, don't launch it after installing, modify the new shortcut to your nightly install's properties, Target field, to add
code:
 -no-remote -p "[YOURNEWPROFILENAMEHERE]"
after the firefox.exe"

So for example if the new profile you made was called "sweetnightlyprofile" the Target field might now read:
code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Nightly\firefox.exe" -no-remote -p "sweetnightlyprofile"

Thanks, that works great.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

jink posted:

Good LORD 57 is blaaaaaazing fast on Windows. MacOS also feels zippy but on Windows this browser is a whole different beast. WOW.

Yeah it's amazing work they've done. Startup time is outstanding.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Yeah it's amazing work they've done. Startup time is outstanding.

So their impatience for a massive upgrade got the best of them and they shoved poo poo out before it was ready, but the massive upgrade is indeed that?

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
I've looked at nightly a few times since it got 57 and it's speed is really nice!

It still seems to use more ram than chrome but isn't one of their projects that's still in the works supposed to help with that?

My only real complaint is the dark theme that they introduced in Dev got changed from a blueish color to black, but I guess it matches the Win10 dark theme a bit more so whatever

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Sort of a bizarre bug I have going on here:

If I start Firefox it tells me it's not my default browser (it is). More importantly my SALR Grenade icon is gone. However if I open a second window, all is well.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

The Dave posted:

Sort of a bizarre bug I have going on here:

If I start Firefox it tells me it's not my default browser (it is). More importantly my SALR Grenade icon is gone. However if I open a second window, all is well.

Reset profile?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Buff Skeleton posted:

So, yeah, in less than a day I was acclimated to Chrome. Haven't touched my home Firefox install because I'm lazy and hate doing this kind of poo poo unless I have to, but if it goes and updates itself to 55 one day out of the blue then that's it for me. Oh well!

I tried to use chrome exclusively for like 5-6 months last spring/summer (did some chromeos testing, so I also installed/used it on my pcs to use the history sync and other poo poo I also use in firefox) and I came to the conclusion that the only way to take the awesome bar away from me is to pry it from my cold dead hands. There's an addon for chrome that does something similar but it's frankly very poo poo. The only way I interact with my browser at work is keyboard and that owns because reaching for the mouse away from the keyboard every 3 seconds is a real good productivity killer, and awesome bar is a pretty large part of that functionality being quick and painless. Anything and everything in firefox is 3-5 keystrokes away.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm having trouble with uBlock origin on Firefox for Android. From version 1.14 onwards, it'll hide ads, but refuse to apply cosmetic filters. The element picker also doesn't work properly anymore, in that it doesn't switch tabs automatically anymore (you access the uBlock settings in a different tab on Android), and it doesn't show the overlay anymore, even though the inability to interact with the webpage afterwards suggests it's there.

Is this just part of the general 1.14 fuckery that has been going on and should I just wait it out?

I tried downgrading to 1.13.8, which works great, but I can't find where you can prevent it from automatically updating itself, like someone suggested.

Mainly wondering if this sounds familiar to someone or if there are troubleshooting steps on Android I missed, apart from clear the app's cache or reset your device to factory settings.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Did you check the box to enforce cosmetic filters?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm having trouble with uBlock origin on Firefox for Android. From version 1.14 onwards, it'll hide ads, but refuse to apply cosmetic filters. The element picker also doesn't work properly anymore, in that it doesn't switch tabs automatically anymore (you access the uBlock settings in a different tab on Android), and it doesn't show the overlay anymore, even though the inability to interact with the webpage afterwards suggests it's there.

Is this just part of the general 1.14 fuckery that has been going on and should I just wait it out?

I tried downgrading to 1.13.8, which works great, but I can't find where you can prevent it from automatically updating itself, like someone suggested.

Mainly wondering if this sounds familiar to someone or if there are troubleshooting steps on Android I missed, apart from clear the app's cache or reset your device to factory settings.

I had that problem with 1.14 on 52ESR/Windows where it wouldn't apply my cosmetic filters - installing the version from his github worked, for whatever reason (note: it isn't signed)

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

I can't even get 1.14 to work at all on my Firefox for Android. Even with following all the esoteric instructions on the github.
The only way to stop it from auto-updating is by disable auto-updating for all addons. In about :config toggle extensions.autoupdate.enabled to false.

Obviously this may be a problem if you have several addons that you want to keep up to date, so try to remember you toggled it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Double Punctuation posted:

Did you check the box to enforce cosmetic filters?
I see a box to disable cosmetic filters and it isn't checked. I did check it and then unchecked it to test, but nothing is happening.

astral posted:

I had that problem with 1.14 on 52ESR/Windows where it wouldn't apply my cosmetic filters - installing the version from his github worked, for whatever reason (note: it isn't signed)
Tried that and FF on Android won't let me install it because it's not signed.

Geemer posted:

I can't even get 1.14 to work at all on my Firefox for Android. Even with following all the esoteric instructions on the github.
The only way to stop it from auto-updating is by disable auto-updating for all addons. In about :config toggle extensions.autoupdate.enabled to false.

Obviously this may be a problem if you have several addons that you want to keep up to date, so try to remember you toggled it.
It does block ads for me, so commiserations. The instructions online are for when you lost your settings, which I never did.

I don't have other addons installed, so I'm considering the about :config toggle and setting a calendar reminder to give things another try in a couple of weeks, thanks.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

uBlock Origin is webext now. What's Firefox for Android look like for webext support lately?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
I like the new screenshot feature. It's really slick how it highlights different divs.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
FoxyProxy "upgraded" itself to its 57-compatible version and OH GOD WHAT IS THIS HORROR

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

dont be mean to me posted:

uBlock Origin is webext now. What's Firefox for Android look like for webext support lately?

That extension works on Android nightly (version 57), so alls good. As on other platforms, v57 is dramatically better, so looks like FF on Android may be useable soon for me.

Just noticed also that the native android zoom gesture finally works in Firefox Nightly on android O I.e. double tap, hold, swipe up/down.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sorry if this has been posted about already, but I looked back a few pages and couldn't find anything. Since something like 54.x.x I've noticed the ctrl-f find feature has been a little screwy. Sometimes, but not always the next/before arrows are ghosted out an not-selectable, even if there are more instances of the phrase you are trying to find. Is this a known issue or am I just doing something wrong?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Here is another issue I've noticed - sometimes the search window isn't showing any results at all. See attached:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

slidebite posted:

Here is another issue I've noticed - sometimes the search window isn't showing any results at all. See attached:

Do you have "Match Case" selected?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It wasn't but of course I can't replicate it now. :smith:

It's not a huge deal, just a bit of an inconvenience.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Pretty sure it happens if you start a search while a page is still loading or try to reuse a search box after navigating to a new page

Not entirely sure on the repro but if you delete one letter and retype it it should start working

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'll play around with it, maybe I am just impatient. If nobody else is having the issue it must just be something I'm doing. Thanks.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
This popped up on my RSS feed

https://github.com/keraf/NoCoin

Which is an addon that's kinda like Adblock but it specifically blocks buttcoin miners in your browser.

I am speechless because I can't believe that this is actually a thing that is needed but apparently this is the world we live in now. Pirate Bay is an example of a website serving up such mining scripts, and if they are/can do it then I assume that all the shady poo poo tier advertisement networks are doing it too.

I'm posting this here because I wanted to ask if Firefox knows about this and whether or not they are doing anything to prevent it or am I going to have to start installing mining blockers from now on? The idea that I can visit a website and unknowingly burn up my battery to help someone mine 0.00000001 cents worth of magical internet money is just so dumb.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Wait - Pirate Bay is infecting people with bitminers?

That's hilarious.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

No, they're using some javascript miner to make your browser mine at 20~30% CPU power when on the categories and search result pages.
Supposedly this is a trial to see if it's a feasible replacement for ads. But we all know that shady sites will just try to go for as much as possible while trying to keep you from leaving the page.

I hope this becomes a new blocklist in uBO that defaults to enabled.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Forget blocklists, that poo poo should be classed as malware. No loving way I'm letting some rear end in a top hat steal my electricity to mine internet pennies.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Javascript miners own af, and I wish I wasn't a nice person because with the amount of traffic some of the sites I admin get, I could be turborich.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Geemer posted:

No, they're using some javascript miner to make your browser mine at 20~30% CPU power when on the categories and search result pages.
Supposedly this is a trial to see if it's a feasible replacement for ads. But we all know that shady sites will just try to go for as much as possible while trying to keep you from leaving the page.

I hope this becomes a new blocklist in uBO that defaults to enabled.

Yeah the amount of % profitable doesn't matter as long as it's over zero. Then that's just "extra money" and every ad network is gonna be doing it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Geemer posted:

Newsflash: that guarantees nothing for whether all your CPU is used, Javascript in browsers isn't capable of verifying it's only using a certain amount of CPU.

It's literally malware, plain and simple.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

fishmech posted:

Newsflash: that guarantees nothing for whether all your CPU is used, Javascript in browsers isn't capable of verifying it's only using a certain amount of CPU.

I was just posting what they say is supposed to happen. I did not and will never believe for a second that this is anything other than a bad thing to be rooted out.

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014

fishmech posted:

Sounds like they assume that it'll just peg a core

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Well, it's either a thing that uses some electricity while you're on the site, or a chance of getting infected by who knows what from the ad networks. They've got to pay the bills somehow. (But :lol: at this being The Pirate Bay doing this.)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Double Punctuation posted:

Well, it's either a thing that uses some electricity while you're on the site, or a chance of getting infected by who knows what from the ad networks. They've got to pay the bills somehow. (But :lol: at this being The Pirate Bay doing this.)

Why not both?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I'm playing around with Nightly again to see how close I can get it to what I currently have. I am very close, but I still had to enable legacy addons and install Tab Mix Plus just to get opening new tabs from the address bar. Is there any way outside of a legacy addon to get this in v57? FF has built-in options to do this from the search box and bookmarks, but not the dang address bar, and I can't find any v57 compatible extensions that do it either.

VVVV: I don't wanna!

xamphear fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

xamphear posted:

I'm playing around with Nightly again to see how close I can get it to what I currently have. I am very close, but I still had to enable legacy addons and install Tab Mix Plus just to get opening new tabs from the address bar. Is there any way outside of a legacy addon to get this in v57? FF has built-in options to do this from the search box and bookmarks, but not the dang address bar, and I can't find any v57 compatible extensions that do it either.

Hold down alt?